If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv not connecting to wifi

Options
  • 24-06-2019 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I bought a nice 55" LG 8500 from ye a couple of months ago now at this stage. All has been good except recently it has stopped connecting with my wifi (virgin). It sees the network but can't connect. I've tried resetting to factory settings and setting it up again but no luck. I've also researched and people have suggested changing region and then back to Ireland. No luck....it also doesn't seem to let me manually change the time and date which I've also seen as a solution.....any suggestions? Tv works grand without it obviously but I bought a smart tv so would like it to do what it's supposed to!

Cheers!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I bought a nice 55" LG 8500 from ye a couple of months ago now at this stage. All has been good except recently it has stopped connecting with my wifi (virgin). It sees the network but can't connect. I've tried resetting to factory settings and setting it up again but no luck. I've also researched and people have suggested changing region and then back to Ireland. No luck....it also doesn't seem to let me manually change the time and date which I've also seen as a solution.....any suggestions? Tv works grand without it obviously but I bought a smart tv so would like it to do what it's supposed to!

Cheers!
    Hi MarcusP12.

Sorry to hear you are having some issue with your purchase.

If you can drop the guys in our service department an email with you full name and address and a list of the fault they will give you a call for a chat.
    service@Richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulkeno

I have the exact same problem. Bought an LG 43UJ670V off you last April. Bought it for the bedroom and mainly use it for Netflix. Tv itself works fine. About 3 weeks ago have lost WiFi connection. It sees the router but won’t connect. Have done two factory resets and it connects at install stage and then gone the next time I turn it on. The change region didn’t work for me. Have set the time to manual and that seems to be working so far. Has there been a recent software update that has caused this? All other devices connect to WiFi no problem. Also with virgin.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

paulkeno wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem. Bought an LG 43UJ670V off you last April. Bought it for the bedroom and mainly use it for Netflix. Tv itself works fine. About 3 weeks ago have lost WiFi connection. It sees the router but won’t connect. Have done two factory resets and it connects at install stage and then gone the next time I turn it on. The change region didn’t work for me. Have set the time to manual and that seems to be working so far. Has there been a recent software update that has caused this? All other devices connect to WiFi no problem. Also with virgin.
    Hi PaulKeno.

Sorry to hear you are having an issue also.

If you can email our service team at Service@Richersounds.ie with your name and the fault they will look after things for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulkeno

Hi Kenny. I did some more digging and it seems to be a virgin media problem not the TV.
    This kind of sums it up
    Dear VM reps, I work in the WIFI industry and I have had nothing but trouble over the last month with our home Virgin WIFI since you introduced "smart WIFI".

However I may be able to point you in a direction of what might be the issue.
    By default the Hub3 router names the 2.4GHZ and the 5GHz SSIDs with the same SSID.Only the weekend gone have I finally got satisfactory WIFI back by renaming the two bands with different SSID's. eg: HUB2 & HUB5.
    The fix for me is to then only connect all devices to the 2.4GHZ SSID...The 5GHZ HAS SOME ISSUE THAT YOU NEED TO SORT OUT.
    But if you have smart WIFI trying to tell your devices to switch between 2.4GHZ and 5Ghz when they have the same SSID WILL confuse the hell out of IOS devices at least and you have a disconnect.

A realisation from Virgin that there IS an issue that only a firmware change will sort is required, ( or let us downgrade the firmware to the version that had no issue)

I’ll get in contact with virgin first before I give your guys a shout. Thanks for the quick reply.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi Kenny.  I did some more digging and it seems to be a virgin media problem not the TV.
    This kind of sums it up
    Dear VM reps, I work in the WIFI industry and I have had nothing but trouble over the last month with our home Virgin WIFI since you introduced "smart WIFI".

By default the Hub3 router names the 2.4GHZ and the 5GHz SSIDs with the same SSID.Only the weekend gone have I finally got satisfactory WIFI back by renaming the two bands with different SSID's. eg: HUB2 & HUB5.
    The fix for me is to then only connect all devices to the 2.4GHZ SSID...The 5GHZ HAS SOME ISSUE THAT YOU NEED TO SORT OUT.
    But if you have smart WIFI trying to tell your devices to switch between 2.4GHZ and 5Ghz when they have the same SSID WILL confuse the hell out of IOS devices at least and you have a disconnect.

A realisation from Virgin that there IS an issue that only a firmware change will sort is required, ( or let us downgrade the firmware to the version that had no issue)

I’ll get in contact with virgin first before I give your guys a shout. Thanks for the quick reply.
    No problem, keep us posted with the outcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Hi Kenny. I did some more digging and it seems to be a virgin media problem not the TV.
    This kind of sums it up

I was just about to post an update to this to more or less let people know what you have pointed about above. Basically I rang LG support as advised by richer sounds and they pointed me in the direction of the ssid issue. All you have to do is to go to virgin media support and you'll find a video which tells you how to split the frequency of your router into 2.4 and 5 ghz by logging into the router settings online. It's actually very straight forward to be fair. I then rebooted both tv and modem and was then able to connect with the 2.4 ghz channel no problem (so far anyway).....bingo bango....hopefully virgin sort it out but as long as you know about this fix then it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

It's the virgin media hub since the new update, not the TV. Have a read on the VM forum, I recommend getting a new router but there are a few other fixes on the forum.

Mod Comment

...I recommend getting a new router.....

This recommendation is not in line with the experience of the posters who raised the issue and the solutions posted earlier on this thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

MarcusP12, paulkeno,

Thanks for coming back and updating on your experience and the fix, appreciated.

Folks,

As the OPs query has been resolved, I’m closing this thread. If you have a query about a TV or any other equipment bought from Richersounds, please feel free to open a new thread and ask away.

Cheers,

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.