Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone here ever grown watermelons?

Options
  • 24-06-2019 9:58pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone? I'm thinking of trying more in hope than expectation

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect we don't have the weather, and it's almost certainly too late this year to start.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

i suspect we don't have the weather, and it's almost certainly too late this year to start.

I've them germinated about four weeks and was just going to see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Doubt it’s warm enough. A heated greenhouse would be best set up

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Doubt it’s warm enough. A heated greenhouse would be best set up

Apparently they need masses of space gonna go it as an experiment around a patio

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, you're going to get the weather this week by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement

well, you're going to get the weather this week by the sounds of it.

Im fairly sure its doomed to failure but im in a new garden that's in bits so if the watermelon mounds goes back to lawn next year it's no loss

If however even one grows I'll be delighted but have no expectations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The variety is critical if they are to grow here. Even the best for here requires soil temperature of 18 to 20 degrees C.

A piece on them in the UK here.
    https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en/article/how-grow-watermelon

The variety is critical if they are to grow here. Even the best for here requires soil temperature of 18 to 20 degrees C.

A piece on them in the UK here.
    https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en/article/how-grow-watermelon

I'm a cheap gardener tbh grow from seeds and bulbs mainly as I'm in a rented house and these seeds were 79c in Lidl

Loads have terminated and it's a sugar baby variety which are quick growing

I think this year I am just having fun having a garden and learning what works and what doesn't it can all be fixed :)

I grew them in the polytunnel last year....about 4;plants. They yielded about 4 melons per plant. They were small but juicy and tasty.
    I'm almost certain I got the seed in Aldi to just try out.....I've them in again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

TheTorment wrote: »
    I grew them in the polytunnel last year....about 4;plants. They yielded about 4 melons per plant. They were small but juicy and tasty.
    I'm almost certain I got the seed in Aldi to just try out.....I've them in again this year.

Any pics? How much space do they take up?

• Advertisement

Cant find any of the pics.

Heres this years. The bed is around 5ftx3ft
    #IMG_20190626_203321_50.jpg

Theyre alot slower than last year. Blossoms are just beginning to appear. Each plant will have about 4 melons each about the size of a decent grapefruit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Again, though, the weather last year suited them much more than the weather this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sounds like a lot of effort (space) for little reward. I might try cucamelons instead next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Years ago I grew some in a tunnel.

Got lots of delicious melons..can't recall the variety though..they may have been cantaloupe.

Advertisement