Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Drive Turbo

Options
  • 24-06-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some information about direct drive turbo.

1- how much quieter(if any) are they compared to regular turbo

2-is there any practical direct drive turbos better than others.

Already have a regular turbo, but christ is it loud

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Kurt Kinetic is far more quiet than Wahoo Kickr 2017 checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,440 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

When I read the title, I immediately thought of pro cycling …. ;)

My finger is on the button ….. Va Vaa Vroome ……..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

went from a wheel on tacx to an elite muin "dumb" direct drive to a tacx neo. each one has been considerably quieter than what it replaced, the neo you don't hear over the chain noise.

given the price of direct drive now i couldn't recommend a wheel on turbo to anyone, the noise is just ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

mossym wrote: »
    went from a wheel on tacx to an elite muin "dumb" direct drive to a tacx neo. each one has been considerably quieter than what it replaced, the neo you don't hear over the chain noise.

given the price of direct drive now i couldn't recommend a wheel on turbo to anyone, the noise is just ridiculous

Hmmm...

Elite turbo muin €370
    Tacx Neo €1350

Would you elaborate your recommendation a bit as I'm after quiet cheap with nice road feel direct drive turbo. Would be nice if it breaks down nicely for storage and might be dumb as I can change resistance myself.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Running a tacx vortex and its fairly noisy. If I wanna train after 9pm it has to be moved into the extension to not disturb everyone else. Would recommend getting a smart direct drive over dumb. ERG mode is great for training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

Yeah i got the Elite turbo muin in Halfords. Its very quiet compared to a normal trainer.

But - You dont get a cassette with it so budget for that.
    - Its not a smart trainer. That is it wont adjust the resistance if you hook it up to apps like Zwift. Resistance increases the faster you pedal. Works really well though with Trainer Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I live in an apartment and use a Tacx Flux without any issue, even with someone else in the apartment it doesn't bother them. Can be got for under 500€ although a lot of people seem to have problems with them. Elite Direto seems recommended too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

To add nothing useful to the OPs request for information...Hands down best turbo I ever had was the Lemond. One of the original direct drives, had no smart functions but a dodgy watt box to give power readings.
    It was loud, you couldn't use it in a house loud! It was heavy

Since moved on to a Wahoo & I miss my Lemond.

The company is closed or their turbo section is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sin_26 wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Elite turbo muin €370
    Tacx Neo €1350

Would you elaborate your recommendation a bit as I'm after quiet cheap with nice road feel direct drive turbo. Would be nice if it breaks down nicely for storage and might be dumb as I can change resistance myself.

Thanks

. i was recommending the 300 direct drive muin over the 150/200 euro wheel on turbo.

go buy this one, it's a nice cheap direct drive turbo and will do what you need.

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-turbo-muin-smart-turbo-trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Went from dumb to muin to original hammer. The hammer has a reputation for being loud, but it's not an issue where I train. The muin is good (if using with your own power meter), but hard to go back to non-smart now (which I am a few times a week, on portable rollers).

It's always worth checking halfords, as when I got the hammer, they were the cheapest option even before Axa discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Looking for a smart direct drive turbo...

Was looking at the Tacx Flux 2?

I know Flux S had a number of issues which were fixed in later models and again in the Flux 2.

Its also at a price point of €700-€800 which is easier to swallow when compared to the Neo at €1300.

Does anyone have experience of the Flux 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Looking for a smart direct drive turbo...

Was looking at the Tacx Flux 2?

I know Flux S had a number of issues which were fixed in later models and again in the Flux 2.

Its also at a price point of €700-€800 which is easier to swallow when compared to the Neo at €1300.

Does anyone have experience of the Flux 2?

The tacx flux issues were not resolved with the later models and the issues seem to have carried over to the flux 2 also. There aren't as many sold so the reports are few but build quality seems to be very poor.

I had and returned a flux and got a flux s which was worse, fly wheel wasn't even centered properly.

I returned for my money back and picked up an elite direto and haven't had any issues with it.

I would avoid tacx altogether unless you're going up to the neo which seems to be on the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The tacx flux issues were not resolved with the later models and the issues seem to have carried over to the flux 2 also. There aren't as many sold so the reports are few but build quality seems to be very poor.

I had and returned a flux and got a flux s which was worse, fly wheel wasn't even centered properly.

I returned for my money back and picked up an elite direto and haven't had any issues with it.

I would avoid tacx altogether unless you're going up to the neo which seems to be on the button.

Oh I follow gplama on YouTube. Seemed to suggest his third flux was working fine and his not broken it yet. He previously broke 2 flux, and his 3rd was working fine.

Advertisement