Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work rant. Hazing management style

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...I think it's like you put down something in your cv you have a little experience of or know a little about and they think that you can do that job...

Perhaps people shouldn't be doing this so?

Not that I think this is the issue here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The only thing this will achieve is a target on your back.

That is always the risk for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

beauf wrote: »
    Perhaps people shouldn't be doing this so?

Not that I think this is the issue here.
    True.

I only put down my python dip. I only did it so i could I could use free scripts. I only did a 15 week course though I can't code.We have apps that use it for us. Even full blown web designers only use server side stuff.

It ought to be obvious.

beauf wrote: »
    That is always the risk for sure.

I should probably just go on then and keep out of it as much as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I should probably just go on then and keep out of it as much as I can.
    This!

She sounds utterly out of her depth and I'd wager the wheels will fall off eventually. The most important thing for you and your colleagues to do is cover your arses so no blame shift can attach to you

This can best be achieved by documenting everything via email: "Hi ___, just to clarify with you that the task xyz is to be followed abc. Will go ahead as per your request as long as you are happy even though I've highlighted my lack of proficiency in abc as per our earlier discussion "

THAT kind of thing with a little more finesse and neutrality. Then sit back and watch the wheels fall off.

If this is a call centre type set up just do your time to rack up some experience and focus on getting the fudge out of dodge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Firstly OP, I'd be careful about what you post on here. A very heavy majority of managers would never use the term 'hazing', HR would not look kindly on it, so your manager may be able to identify you. I'd keep my head down, cover my own backside, sit tight and wait for her to get promoted or shown the door, if I was you.
    My 12 year old goes to a coding club and he learns Python.

And what has that got to do with working in a professional workplace? 'Hello World' in Python isn't going to get you very far. I've worked as a developer for over ten years and achieving the coding standards that are required to work professionally are beyond most who try to do so.
    Sounds like your manager is completely clueless and a bully. Why would you get web designers to learn python? If they had coding ability they would have learned python and 20 other languages themselves ages ago.

You can get rid of some of your development team, get the designers to do the coding along with the design work and save a fortune. It'd be a massive plus for her c.v. and reputation if it worked out but it never will. The manager in question doesn't understand the difference between the two skill sets.

Berserker wrote: »
    Firstly OP, I'd be careful about what you post on here. A very heavy majority of managers would never use the term 'hazing', HR would not look kindly on it, so your manager may be able to identify you. I'd keep my head down, cover my own backside, sit tight and wait for her to get promoted or shown the door, if I was you.

I'll be careful what I say good point i agree with you.

You can get rid of some of your development team, get the designers to do the coding along with the design work and save a fortune. It'd be a massive plus for her c.v. and reputation if it worked out but it never will. The manager in question doesn't understand the difference between the two skill sets.

Yeah exactly.

And with some of IT gone the main priority became network admin over development because without that the whole ship does down so they don't have time for their actual jobs.

It's like playing dominoes with your staffs skill set.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    This can best be achieved by documenting everything via email: "Hi ___, just to clarify with you that the task xyz is to be followed abc. Will go ahead as per your request as long as you are happy even though I've highlighted my lack of proficiency in abc as per our earlier discussion "

THAT kind of thing with a little more finesse and neutrality. Then sit back and watch the wheels fall off.

Documenting my interactions with her in some way is a good idea. I bet she actually already does that with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

ILoveYourVibes I'm also really struggling to follow your posts.

But I can chip in on the python bit as it's used heavily where I work - for machine learning and one of the backend systems we use (Django-based).

It is unreasonable to expect graphic designers to start writing python code (or C or Java or non-basic Javascript).

Your code is going to be difficult to read, difficult to maintain, and in the long term your company will get caught in an expensive bug fixing loop: you fix something, that breaks something else, you fix that, that breaks another thing, and so on.

Your company and manager are going to learn this the hard way.

My personal take on all this is use the current situation as a way to improve your skills. I don't just mean learning programming and python. I also mean things like the software development lifecycle, why specs are important, why experienced developers are important, software testing, how to log bug properly, etc.

Do not put too much pressure on yourself as most people aren't really suited to be programmers - either they're not very good at it or they dislike it.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    ILoveYourVibes I'm also really struggling to follow your posts.

But I can chip in on the python bit as it's used heavily where I work - for machine learning and one of the backend systems we use (Django-based).

It is unreasonable to expect graphic designers to start writing python code (or C or Java or non-basic Javascript).

Your code is going to be difficult to read, difficult to maintain, and in the long term your company will get caught in an expensive bug fixing loop: you fix something, that breaks something else, you fix that, that breaks another thing, and so on.

Your company and manager are going to learn this the hard way.

My personal take on all this is use the current situation as a way to improve your skills. I don't just mean learning programming and python. I also mean things like the software development lifecycle, why specs are important, why experienced developers are important, software testing, how to log bug properly, etc.

Do not put too much pressure on yourself as most people aren't really suited to be programmers - either they're not very good at it or they dislike it.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will take on board what you have said.
    I agree with you 100%.

I feel like whatever happens though I am doomed to disappoint her.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Yurt! wrote: »
    Your kid also likely learns French or German in school, he won't be interpreting or translating legal documents any time soon though.

Fair point. I just found it very difficult to follow OPs posts and it wasn't clear (and still isn't) that the manager actually expects them all to learn python. I think she mentioned somewhere that the manager regularly suggests madcap things that don't materialise.

OP, if your manager is a bit off the wall then all you can do is keep your head down, and get on with your actual work. She makes suggestions for things that never come to fruition because they are unnecessary and unworkable. So let her go on about all ideas and you and the team ignore anything that isn't relevant.

Maybe start keeping your own diary of things. Just for your own sake. You don't need her approval or praise. She's a middleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

ILoveYourVibes, your posts are very difficult to read. They are repetitive and a lot of unnecessary detail. Reading them I am imagining you hyperventilating as you type.

Sorry for the OT but this is absolutely hilarious!

Advertisement