Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wirless extension from front door bell to shed/yard?

Options
  • 25-06-2019 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Any ideas for an easy extension from my front door bell (in house hallway) to the back yard (so that can hear it when out the back).
    Ideally I want to avoid wiring etc, so all I would have are the existing wires to the bell in the hallway.
    The distance to the back is around 20m.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Plenty of wireless bell boxes. It will work independent of your current setup.

Or

If you had a bigger budget, you could get something like a Ring video doorbell. More expensive, but gives you video and then can notify your phone anywhere. It can use ypur current wired setup and bell box but it also has wireless chime boxes that you plug into a standard socket in the shed or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Davy wrote: »
    Plenty of wireless bell boxes. It will work independent of your current setup.

Or

If you had a bigger budget, you could get something like a Ring video doorbell. More expensive, but gives you video and then can notify your phone anywhere. It can use ypur current wired setup and bell box but it also has wireless chime boxes that you plug into a standard socket in the shed or elsewhere.

Hmmm .... interesting. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just on this, if you get a wireless bell, the chimes take up a socket when they plug in. Some have a socket built in so you can still plug in a lamp or something,

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I posted this originally and I need some further advice to actually get it done.
    I have conventional push-button at the door and a chime in the hall.
    I want a chime in the shed, and in the yard (I can wire them together- either side of the shed wall).
    I presume I would need a new chime in the main house, to act as a 'transmitter' (but I'd prefer to use the existing push-button).
    I want to wire the two outside chimes to the mains, as I don't want to be messing with batteries. The outside one would be under cover, so an indoor one would probably do the job.
    I'm ok at DIY - not an enthusiast - but I just can't seem to be able to find the 'transmitter' chime, and chimes for the yard/shed that can be wired to the mains.
    Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I would think a wireless system would solve this.
    Can buy one cheaply in Aldi or Lydl.

I understand that you do not wish to use batteries - but they last for many years for this situation

• Advertisement
Advertisement