Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Management

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

etxp wrote: »
    but if they never go in the bunkers they wont get better at playing out of them :eek:

I don't like sand so I stay out of them :pac:

Could declare it unplayable and take a penalty drop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Seve OB wrote: »
    laying up is not always all its made out to be. sure if you don't have the range to make the distance, then you just have to lay up, but that's a different scenario

I think this is a good point, for us high handicappers if a green isn't surrounded by water or white stakes I think a dig of the 3 wood off the deck can be the best option.

At least in my case where there is absolutely no guarantee I won't hit two reckless mid/short irons after taking the 'sensible' option anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd expect a 12 handicapper to be much more consistent in their shots than someone off 18 though. The correct shot for you may very well have been to go for the green in two especially if you've no shot there.

Now the 18 player my not be able to hit a 4 iron 210 and will have to hit a 5/3 wood. This makes the shot a bit harder. The correct shot for the higher player, especially if they are not confident in the club/distance, is to lay up to 100 and take the bunkers out of play. Up and down from there will give them 4 points or on and two puts will give them 3 points.

If they go for it with the 3 wood then they may catch the bunker and then will be giving themselves a tougher shot to get up and down for their birdie than if they were in the middle of the fairway.

I hit my 4 iron no more than 170. If it was me I'd hit the 100 as my bad shot is to leak the ball to the right (can be a slice but have almost gotten rid of that now). I'm fairly confident of hitting the ball within 10 feet from that distance and would be very confident of not having more than two putts from there.

If there's no trouble to the left of the green I may hit the 3 wood up there depending on pin position and how much green I have to work with when chipping.

If u can hit it to 10 foot from a 100 yards u are better than most pga tour pros.
    Most 18 handicap golfers are luck to hit the green from 100 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I don't like sand so I stay out of them :pac:

Could declare it unplayable and take a penalty drop ;)

So when you go in the sand you take a penalty!! Excellent course management :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

etxp wrote: »
    So when you go in the sand you take a penalty!! Excellent course management :D

Take the penalty rather than leave it in the sand the first go :pac:

In all seriousness I did see a guy declare a ball unplayable in the bunker before after it took him 4 shots to get out of the previous one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think this is a good point, for us high handicappers if a green isn't surrounded by water or white stakes I think a dig of the 3 wood off the deck can be the best option.

At least in my case where there is absolutely no guarantee I won't hit two reckless mid/short irons after taking the 'sensible' option anyway.

I think that's the basic flaw in high handicap golfers.
    "Sure i can duff a 7 iron too so i might as well hit the 3w"

In all my experience that is flawed logic

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Another example. Playing on Sunday and FC was in serious trouble in a drain but had a bit of an angle to swing at it to get it out of trouble and back in to play. As it was a penalty area he could have dropped it out for a one stroke penalty and then playing his 3rd from a guaranteed good lie. At best all he could have done was to get it back onto the fairway where he was going to playing his 3rd anyway.

He proceeded to slash at it leaving it in the drain, then had another go with an angry swing at it and left in there again. Ball was swiftly put in his pocket there after. This type of stuff is nothing to do with skill, its just not thinking about what you're doing and weighing up the risks and rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

played a game the other day, par 5, I got a good drive away and left myself about 215 to the pin, bunkers short and right of a small green, pin tucked away . clever shot was to lay up short of the bunkers about 70 yards out and chip in from there.
    so I took out a 4 iron and went for it. stuck it to 12 foot. missed the eagle by an inch but a tap in birdie.
    some of you guys would have had me playing course management shots where I would have been lucky to make par and bringing bogey into play. by taking on the shot I was not making things any worse for myself, sure I could have ended up in a bunker, but isn't that what a sand wedge is for :)

I like this example. It's a good example of when you should actually think about the consequences instead of just playing safe.

The crucial thing here is that a bunker isn't the worst place to be. Even when I had a handicap in the 20s, if I was in a bunker I'd more often than not get it out, into the green in the general direction of the hole. So it was usually a spot out and a 2 putt. Not a bad scenario if things go wrong. Whereas if I lay up successfully, I might have to chip over the bunkers. I still hate that shot and there's every chance I'll go into them, or blade it over the green. Or I could lay up further back and leave myself a full wedge into the green. But I'd fancy myself to get it more consistently close from the bunker.

And if course there's always the chance I'll hit the green. And a birdie is worth 4 points off 18.

I suppose the thing to remember is that course management isn't just about playing safe.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think that's the basic flaw in high handicap golfers.
    "Sure i can duff a 7 iron too so i might as well hit the 3w"

In all my experience that is flawed logic

I think for the real beginners, a 7 wood or the like can be their favourite club with good reason. When you duff an iron, you can be walking 10 yards to hit it again. When you knock a wood you might still get 100 yards from it. It can make the round much more enjoyable to have a club that you sometimes hit 180 yards and sometimes you knock it but it still brings the green into range.

But once you're down below 20 if it's still your favourite club it's probably holding you back.

blue note wrote: »
    I like this example. It's a good example of when you should actually think about the consequences instead of just playing safe.

The crucial thing here is that a bunker isn't the worst place to be. Even when I had a handicap in the 20s, if I was in a bunker I'd more often than not get it out, into the green in the general direction of the hole. So it was usually a spot out and a 2 putt. Not a bad scenario if things go wrong. Whereas if I lay up successfully, I might have to chip over the bunkers. I still hate that shot and there's every chance I'll go into them, or blade it over the green. Or I could lay up further back and leave myself a full wedge into the green. But I'd fancy myself to get it more consistently close from the bunker.

And if course there's always the chance I'll hit the green. And a birdie is worth 4 points off 18.

I suppose the thing to remember is that course management isn't just about playing safe.

I think is where the confusion lies.
    Good course management doesnt automatically mean laying up.
    It certainly *never* means laying up if you then leave yourself a chip shot over a bunker!

A birdie is worth 4 points, and a 7 is worth nothing. If you are off 18 its probably for a reason and I'm going to guess its not because you cant hit wedges, more likely because you cant hit any irons consistently. However, the facts are that shorter irons are easier to hit than longer irons and certainly than long fairway woods. High lofted rescues/etc change this a little, but the distance will be similar enough to 6-7iron anyway as makes no odds.
    I think for the real beginners, a 7 wood or the like can be their favourite club with good reason. When you duff an iron, you can be walking 10 yards to hit it again. When you knock a wood you might still get 100 yards from it. It can make the round much more enjoyable to have a club that you sometimes hit 180 yards and sometimes you knock it but it still brings the green into range.

But once you're down below 20 if it's still your favourite club it's probably holding you back.

No problem at all with a 7 or higher wood, but if you are hitting a 7w you arent really "going for it" anymore than you would be with a 6 iron. You just happen to not be hitting a iron.

However if you are trying to lower your handicap and hitting 7w because you cant hit a 6iron, then you probably need a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Ive gone back to 19 :rolleyes: but I did join a new club this year and have being working on my course management. I am actually playing well just putting myself in bad positions or having 1 or 2 mares on holes.

Anyway I recently got fitted for a new Driver and 3 wood & was playing my old course in a open last Sunday..

My driving was a bit all over the place as I was very tense holding it for some reason! but I was still scoring & going ok.. I was actually thinking if my driver kicks in I might actually have a chance. Played a few holes Friday and was smashing it but struggling with new 3 wood.

8th hole par 5 dogleg left smashed my drive down to the turn. 230 yds to green im sitting in the middle of the fairway. Trees all down the right you go there you're dead. bunkers & down hill on left there and it take a good shot to hold the green. So I gave it some taught said fcuk it im going for it.

Even doe I haven't hit the new 3 wood great a slowed my swing down a bit didnt catch it perfect but it was straight left it 5 yds short of green chip and tap in birdie :D

It was totally the wrong shot to play having been in this position loads & pushed it into the trees right many times & scratched. Ended up with 34 pts after with driving all over the shop but I tell you one thing I was buzzing from that birdie on 8 & the 3 wood shot even doe I didnt caught it great...

I thought I'd reply here as I was dragging the other thread off topic. But I quite enjoy talking about course management and myself, so I might as well reply.
    You probably dont have enough bounce on your LW, you want 12+ really, otherwise you end up digging and the ball will not come out (well it can, but you need to know how to play it!)

If hitting a bunker means at least 3 more shots and often more, then you need to manage your way to avoid bunkers at all costs. That may sound crazy (why would I lay up with an 8i or why am I not aiming for the green) but just look at whats its costing you!
    How many times does hitting the green lead to a birdie vs how many times does hitting a bunker lead to a scratch?

What handicap are you and what do you expect to be under the new system?

I reckon the club doesn't have enough bounce. It's actually a great club, but just not for bunkers. But it had more loft so I said I'd give it a go out of them. My normal form in bunkers is to get it onto the green and two putt. So they're not to be avoided at all costs for me, but I do try to avoid them.

And actually, looking at that particular hole on hdid, the last time I scratched it (double or worse) was October 19. Just over a year between scratches and I've had 2 birdies on it.
    Leaving yourself a distance that you are not good at is bad course management!!!
    The previous shot selection was the issue.
    I played with a guy last week who thought course management was just not hitting a driver off the tee. He couldnt understand why hitting a 4 iron and then trying to hit the green with his 3 wood wasnt a sensible approach on index 1 par 4 :o

Higher handicaps should take more club when hitting to the green 90% of the time because 95% of the time the trouble is short. I know you had one scenario where there was trouble over the back but if you analyse most holes on most courses, all the trouble is short or at most halfway up the green.

I almost agree fully with the first point. The one cavaet I have is if it is a shot that you cannot avoid having frequently on a course, there's no use avoiding it, because you'll have to hit it sometimes anyway. And the best way to learn it is practicing it. And shots from 100m - 40m I find difficult and there's no avoiding them. The second being a good example - laying up to say 120m is a very tricky landing area compared to 100m. And you will probably be hitting on an upslope. In this case, even with the second shot being difficult for me it's the right option. the 100m or less shot is also unavoidable on the 4th, 6th and 7th.

I also agree that course management is not just playing safe / avoiding the driver. The best hole for me statistically is the 11th in Corballis, where I more often than not try to drive the green. The main reason for this is because I hate the approach shot if I lay up. It's always a bad, sandy lie. You're hitting blind, uphill to the green from a distance I don't like. So I tend to hit a 3/5 wood at the green. I'm rarely putting, but tend to come out with a 4/5 on the hole.

I'm not sure about the higher handicaps should take more club mantra either. 3 of my scratches were from going long. And in my experience, the bunkers tend to be at the front of greens, but the bushes / thick links rough tends to be at the back. So unless there's water at the front, I'd be more nervous of running off the back of the green. It's very rare I'm not aiming for the middle of the green to be honest anyway.

And I'm currently off 14.1. I plugged my rounds into the calculator and came out with 16.8 a little while ago. I think I've had another couple of bad rounds since, so that could be higher now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

I love talking about it also. Another thing about Corballis is that its not typical links golf as there are not many chances to bump and run the ball. You are forced to carry the ball to your targets and the targets are tiny and the rough is penal, I think a good striker of the ball well will have more scratches than on a larger course if they are careless about what lines they are taking

Question about 2nd hole, I remember the pin was on the right hand side of the green, Wind was negligible. What was your intention with your approach shot?

willabur wrote: »
    I love talking about it also. Another thing about Corballis is that its not typical links golf as there are not many chances to bump and run the ball. You are forced to carry the ball to your targets and the targets are tiny and the rough is penal, I think a good striker of the ball well will have more scratches than on a larger course if they are careless about what lines they are taking

Question about 2nd hole, I remember the pin was on the right hand side of the green, Wind was negligible. What was your intention with your approach shot?

I was going for the middle of the green. If I remember correctly I was a little less than 90m out. And I just hit it slightly too hard and pushed it a little to the right, it carried an extra 10m, landed on the downslope after the green and bounced into the thick rough. First attempt at getting it out moved it about an inch, second moved it about a yard forward.

The problem with hitting to come to the front of the green is that if you go right you're chipping up that awful little slope. Middle of the green is the smart play on that hole.

And it's the least forgiving course I've played. This summer I played Portmarnock links, Narin and Portsalon. While all three of those are harder, they're more forgiving. There's a little more room around the greens and generally when I off the fairways I had a shot out of the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I was going for the middle of the green. If I remember correctly I was a little less than 90m out. And I just hit it slightly too hard and pushed it a little to the right, it carried an extra 10m, landed on the downslope after the green and bounced into the thick rough. First attempt at getting it out moved it about an inch, second moved it about a yard forward.

The problem with hitting to come to the front of the green is that if you go right you're chipping up that awful little slope. Middle of the green is the smart play on that hole.

And it's the least forgiving course I've played. This summer I played Portmarnock links, Narin and Portsalon. While all three of those are harder, they're more forgiving. There's a little more room around the greens and generally when I off the fairways I had a shot out of the rough.

Sorry I have to disagree with you there. If you are on the left to centre of the fairway your smart play will be short left side of the green, allowing for a hard bounce and it might run on. If you come up a little short, it’s a good miss.
    Less so if you are out the right side though as a hard bounce will see you go left, trouble and possibly OB, centre would be a better play from that side

Sorry I have to disagree with you there. If you are on the left to centre of the fairway your smart play will be short left side of the green, allowing for a hard bounce and it might run on. If you come up a little short, it’s a good miss.
    Less so if you are out the right side though as a hard bounce will see you go left, trouble and possibly OB, centre would be a better play from that side

That's not ideal if you have a high ball flight which I do. So if I come up short, I'm more than likely not running onto the green if I'm at all off line. And the bit that you're talking about on the front of the green is 10m wide. The chip from the left is okay, from the right it's tricky. If you aim to land it on the middle of the green you've twice as much green to aim for.

If I'm coming from the left of the fairway that's the line I'll take, but I'll plan to land it on the green. From the right of the fairway we're agreed on the line.

sounds like a few rounds of pitch and putt would help you develop the half shot you are looking for. Have to agree with seve_ob on number 2 that you need to aim left hand side as you have plenty of run on space and the green is 20 yards deep there. Takes the scratch out of play and is good course management.

I thought I'd reply here as I was dragging the other thread off topic. But I quite enjoy talking about course management and myself, so I might as well reply.
    Its the trainspotting of golf, and I love it :)

I reckon the club doesn't have enough bounce. It's actually a great club, but just not for bunkers. But it had more loft so I said I'd give it a go out of them. My normal form in bunkers is to get it onto the green and two putt. So they're not to be avoided at all costs for me, but I do try to avoid them.

And actually, looking at that particular hole on hdid, the last time I scratched it (double or worse) was October 19. Just over a year between scratches and I've had 2 birdies on it.
    Yeah, for years I played with a 60* that only had 4* of bounce as I loved opening it up and cutting the ball in the air.
    I had myself convinced that I wouldnt be able to do this with more bounce. Last time I was buying wedges I could only get 12 and 14* there and then, so I just went with it. Has made zero difference to opening it up and has made bunkers and regular chipping easier, its so much harder to duff it.

I almost agree fully with the first point. The one cavaet I have is if it is a shot that you cannot avoid having frequently on a course, there's no use avoiding it, because you'll have to hit it sometimes anyway. And the best way to learn it is practicing it. And shots from 100m - 40m I find difficult and there's no avoiding them. The second being a good example - laying up to say 120m is a very tricky landing area compared to 100m. And you will probably be hitting on an upslope. In this case, even with the second shot being difficult for me it's the right option. the 100m or less shot is also unavoidable on the 4th, 6th and 7th.
    I dont know the course at all, but this might be one of those rare occasions where not laying up is the better option.
    We have a par 5 where laying up leaves you with a <100M downhill wedge to a raised green with huge drop offs either side and surrounded by bunkers.
    Often just hitting enough club for your second to get you through the next of the fairway (its tree lined just in case!) works out better, you might not get the birdie but you have to be pretty unlucky not to get the par.

I also agree that course management is not just playing safe / avoiding the driver. The best hole for me statistically is the 11th in Corballis, where I more often than not try to drive the green. The main reason for this is because I hate the approach shot if I lay up. It's always a bad, sandy lie. You're hitting blind, uphill to the green from a distance I don't like. So I tend to hit a 3/5 wood at the green. I'm rarely putting, but tend to come out with a 4/5 on the hole.
    5th in Grange is the same, its a shortish uphill par 4 with pot bunkers short of the green and either side of it. Its a dogleg right with trees up both sides, but if you are long enough you have to be pretty unlucky to get blocked out. Playing short off the tee leaves you with anywhere from 6-8i to the green. I birdie the hole 25% of the time and par it the rest.
    hitting a hard driver is the safe shot here.

I'm not sure about the higher handicaps should take more club mantra either. 3 of my scratches were from going long. And in my experience, the bunkers tend to be at the front of greens, but the bushes / thick links rough tends to be at the back. So unless there's water at the front, I'd be more nervous of running off the back of the green. It's very rare I'm not aiming for the middle of the green to be honest anyway.
    Links style courses might cause the advice not the ring true, but Id say 90% of parklands have nothing beyond the green on most of the holes, and even if they do, its only an issue if you happen to hit the all perfectly, if that was a problem we'd be off lower handicaps :D

And I'm currently off 14.1. I plugged my rounds into the calculator and came out with 16.8 a little while ago. I think I've had another couple of bad rounds since, so that could be higher now.

Yeah, you did mention though that you score better elsewhere, so maybe you just need a new strategy for corballis.
    Most people who join my club go out 2-3 shots until the figure it out so its not uncommon.

Yeah, for years I played with a 60* that only had 4* of bounce as I loved opening it up and cutting the ball in the air.
    I had myself convinced that I wouldnt be able to do this with more bounce. Last time I was buying wedges I could only get 12 and 14* there and then, so I just went with it. Has made zero difference to opening it up and has made bunkers and regular chipping easier, its so much harder to duff it.

I dont know the course at all, but this might be one of those rare occasions where not laying up is the better option.
    We have a par 5 where laying up leaves you with a <100M downhill wedge to a raised green with huge drop offs either side and surrounded by bunkers.
    Often just hitting enough club for your second to get you through the next of the fairway (its tree lined just in case!) works out better, you might not get the birdie but you have to be pretty unlucky not to get the par.

5th in Grange is the same, its a shortish uphill par 4 with pot bunkers short of the green and either side of it. Its a dogleg right with trees up both sides, but if you are long enough you have to be pretty unlucky to get blocked out. Playing short off the tee leaves you with anywhere from 6-8i to the green. I birdie the hole 25% of the time and par it the rest.

Links style courses might cause the advice not the ring true, but Id say 90% of parklands have nothing beyond the green on most of the holes, and even if they do, its only an issue if you happen to hit the all perfectly, if that was a problem we'd be off lower handicaps :D

Yeah, you did mention though that you score better elsewhere, so maybe you just need a new strategy for corballis.
    Most people who join my club go out 2-3 shots until the figure it out so its not uncommon.

You must be curious to play it sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Bounce is your friend, as the saying goes. I find its the heel grind or lack of, that is the main factor for me in the playabilty of a wedge. That said, and its obviously each to their own, but I'm still not convinced club golfers should carry a 60 degree at all. I've only put one in the bag this year really, and I'm very much "meh" about it. I'll probably keep it in for emergency use only, but really a 56 is enough. I'd bet over the course of a season it costs most golfers more shots than it saves. Purely IMO.

Really interesting comment about the 5th in Grange. I'm not a member but have played it plenty of times, from schools golf back in the day, to Senior Cup, Lumsden Cup and social games more recently. By far the most common club I've seen is some class of fairway wood over or around the trees on the right.
    Driver does actually make a lot of sense thinking about it now. Especially from a strokes gained perspective, I do think you get up and down more often from 40 yards than 100 yards, despite it not being a "full" shot. Food for thought.

• Advertisement

I grew up playing Tramore and there are bushes / trees on 8 holes where if you go to long you'll risk losing a ball in them. There are bunkers on another couple which aren't so bad. Maybe I just go way long when I go long.

And it's just not strategy that's the big problem for me in Corballis. I'm certainly not saying I'm perfect in that regard, but I lose my shots elsewhere. The game I know how to play is not suitable for the course.

The irons are the big difference for me. They were the strongest part of my game - they tended to be straight and long, would stop quickly and I was very consistent with distance (for my handicap of course). Now, I'm not hitting all that many full irons into greens. And even then, since I hit them very high, they're nowhere near as strong in links winds. In particular the higher irons can just start moving at their apex and suddenly they're dropping 30 yards left / right of where I was aiming or dropping way short or flying over a green.

On top of that, the non-full swing shots are everywhere on that course and they're my absolute worst. I'm always losing concentration on them and either hitting before the ball or hitting them thin. Thin means long, means possibly a lost ball. Hitting before the ball is frustrating, but generally not the end of the world.

There's no way for me to lower my scores and become consistent other than learning to hit the shots I need to hit. It's frustrating that I was consistently in the 80s gross in Tramore and now I'm roughly the same gross (probably slightly higher) in Corballis, but it's a par 66 instead of 72.

Advertisement