Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    What’s the obsession with hay?
    Surely well wilted silage is better feed value than hay and far less stressful on the farmer and his machinery? It doesn’t take up shed space either.
    Seems some farmers like hardship..

Hay is a fantastic crop when saved well. Hay and rain of any sort does not mix end of story. If you can save it and store it in round bales it's like old gold as they say. The small bales are a premium but they are not called idiot bricks for nothing.
    To be able to read the weather and not panic is an advantage. I saved mine in the dry spell at end of May when ppl thought I was mad. I honestly don't think we are going to get enough dry and sunny days together to make hay in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    Hay is a fantastic crop when saved well. Hay and rain of any sort does not mix end of story. If you can save it and store it in round bales it's like old gold as they say. The small bales are a premium but they are not called idiot bricks for nothing.
    To be able to read the weather and not panic is an advantage. I saved mine in the dry spell at end of May when ppl thought I was mad. I honestly don't think we are going to get enough dry and sunny days together to make hay in 2020.

Grass was late this spring around here, we were feeding sheep up to early may and even after that there was poor growth so you were lucky to have grass to cut
    I used to make a lot of hay up to 1978, but on the bad years I reckoned that the value of hay rotted and wasted would build silage pits for a lot of farms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

wrangler wrote: »
    Grass was late this spring around here, we were feeding sheep up to early may and even after that there was poor growth so you were lucky to have grass to cut
    I used to make a lot of hay up to 1978, but on the bad years I reckoned that the value of hay rotted and wasted would build silage pits for a lot of farms
    I had mine closed off on 1st April and only got two thirds of what the crop would be but a bird on the hand and all that. The other side too was I had badly needed after grass when no-one had it. Have to say the stuff I made was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    What’s the obsession with hay?
    Surely well wilted silage is better feed value than hay and far less stressful on the farmer and his machinery? It doesn’t take up shed space either.
    Seems some farmers like hardship..

Hay can be a fantastic crop to give to cows as a kind of pre calfing feed, especially good for Springer's in calf to a big bull. I'd love to have some if I had the storage for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    I had mine closed off on 1st April and only got two thirds of what the crop would be but a bird on the hand and all that. The other side too was I had badly needed after grass when no-one had it. Have to say the stuff I made was excellent.

It'd have to be good, surely over 70% DMD. Traditionally hay would be grown till end of june, probably only 60% DMD. That's the reason it suits suckler cows, At 60% DMD They'd have to eat a lot of it before they'd put on any weight, either on themselves or the calf in them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Went up on donedeal at 930 on a Friday night . I called him and he called me back 10am next morning. bought by 1130am.

Yes farmer owned from new, he was moving to pit silage and had put in a brand new slab. Its in very good condition in fairness to him. Yard was well kept and saw a few bales he had made with it.

the week before I bought a 11000 bale McHale BE wrapper so all sorted myself

Throw up a pick when you get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

Jjameson wrote: »
    It’s cheap to conserve. If you have a shed it keeps for years, and is easily transported in times of shortage. It’s great for sheep in that there’s no listeriosis risk , great for calving cows. If anything I can’t understand the fascination with silage bales when a silage pit is so much easier and cheaper.

Re pit v silage it depends on system

For finishing stores hard to beat bales for high dm as grass can be cut when suitable v waiting for a bulk crop for pit

We were always pit but changed to bales as a reduction in numbers ment pit was starting to go off

I think price of bales v pit is another big talking point at times

I cut& ted & stack myself, with a wilt it averages at (8 bales/acre = 56euro baled +plastic+draw

My draw is near and can get them into the yard with a 10 pack working out at a euro/bale

Diesel & time ....put a price on that?

The more of tbe country i travel the more i can't understand big dairy herds with bales, outside of the cost thewinter labour of 2k+bales is high
    I was always of the opinon if pit quality was down substitute it with concentrates

Any dairy lad i talk they all say the same - bales=higher quality=more milk

Spent alot time on the road in limerick and cork and most bigger lads are pit
    Anyone near me with 100cows is all bales

I have sucklers so i can't compare

If i go back up in numbers i think the best value for me may be with the wagon.....and no not the wife:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

50HX wrote: »
    ....and no not the wife:D
    :D:D:D

Any thoughts on the New Holland square balers.
    Given a choice between Welger/JohnDeere/New Holland all things being equal is it the John Deer again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

50HX wrote: »
    Re pit v silage it depends on system

For finishing stores hard to beat bales for high dm as grass can be cut when suitable v waiting for a bulk crop for pit

We were always pit but changed to bales as a reduction in numbers ment pit was starting to go off

I think price of bales v pit is another big talking point at times

I cut& ted & stack myself, with a wilt it averages at (8 bales/acre = 56euro baled +plastic+draw

My draw is near and can get them into the yard with a 10 pack working out at a euro/bale

Diesel & time ....put a price on that?

The more of tbe country i travel the more i can't understand big dairy herds with bales, outside of the cost thewinter labour of 2k+bales is high
    I was always of the opinon if pit quality was down substitute it with concentrates

Any dairy lad i talk they all say the same - bales=higher quality=more milk

Spent alot time on the road in limerick and cork and most bigger lads are pit
    Anyone near me with 100cows is all bales

I have sucklers so i can't compare

If i go back up in numbers i think the best value for me may be with the wagon.....and no not the wife:D

I be much the same quality of bales is better and cost for a small operator is as low or lower than pit. I take two cuts one about 24-27th of May ideally and a second cut late July/early August.

Contractor cuts, bales and rakes for 10/bale plastic worked out a 3.1/bale this year at 5 layers on first cut average 7 bales/acre.

It was a bit back off what I expected due to drought, it was down about 48 hours and I drew in myself. That is less than 90/acre and the cost of drawing in. I am lucky as draw is handy enough. I see small lads like me getting a contractor in to do pit it could be snowing and they have to let the contractor do it and they would be little or no wilt.

I be very reluctant to change to pit, it would take a week to get across the face of the pit and feeding would be no faster.

With the new balers a bale planted in front of a feed barrier will last the pen 2.5-3 days.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

ChuckieEgg wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Any thoughts on the New Holland square balers.
    Given a choice between Welger/JohnDeere/New Holland all things being equal is it the John Deer again?

All the ones you mention are good, the Welger being the best imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Well, is anyone going to chance cutting a few acres ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Well, is anyone going to chance cutting a few acres ??

cut 2 acre glas meadow on sunday, cut with disc mower so safe enough. will ted today if sun comes out. make this meadow in small square bales every year as handy to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

That’s the JD578 and jones

I’m terrible uploading pictures so apologised in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That’s the JD578 and jones

I’m terrible uploading pictures so apologised in advance

No pic ya cabbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Reggie. wrote: »
    No pic ya cabbage

I added 3 pictures and boards doesn't recognise the credentials :rolleyes:

Get onto Mods

I added 3 pictures and boards doesn't recognise the credentials :rolleyes:

Get onto Mods

Couldn't blame boards for that. Your dodgy at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

Planned to cut Monday morning. Hasn't stopped raining since.

The day has turned up to be a good dry evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

The day has turned up to be a good dry evening

Yea nice day here. Good wind and a bit of sun at times. Neighbour out turning his hay he cut Sunday. More rain given for Friday though. Next week looks reasonable . Dry and pleasant but not that warm. Think I might cut tomorrow and leave untouched Friday Saturday and turn out Sunday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I think it’s promised good for 5 days after Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I think it’s promised good for 5 days after Saturday

I won't hold my breath. Had 6mm in the last 3 days.
    35mm this month alone

cut 2 acre glas meadow on sunday, cut with disc mower so safe enough. will ted today if sun comes out. make this meadow in small square bales every year as handy to have

I cut out 30ac today. I'll see what happens

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I cut out 30ac today. I'll see what happens

Big dice to roll. Currently Tedding about 50 acres for lads atm.

Big dice to roll. Currently Tedding about 50 acres for lads atm.

Shook it out and all. There's no fert spread on it so it should come in quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Well today mucked things up for a lot of people :(

On a separate note has anyone experience of a wuffer/fluffer/ swath lifter?
    Are they gentler than a tedder for wilting silage?
    I've red clover silage for the first time this year and I'm afraid the tedder will damage the leaves in dry weather?

I've red clover silage for the first time this year and I'm afraid the tedder will damage the leaves in dry weather?

Well today was a bit wetter than was given. Hope the few dry days early next week hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Is there any way back for Hay that was fairly well saved that got that savage rain today is the question ?

Tileman wrote: »
    Well today was a bit wetter than was given. Hope the few dry days early next week hold.
    Lets say if the grass hasnt been shook out yet and got rain today or tomorrow but was shook out after, what kind of impact would that be?

I am thinking a loss of quality and colour but would it be significant?

I was watching the weather over the course of the day and things changed rapidly in relation to tomorrow. Normally the forecast is bang on for say 24 hrs in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

my hay was very close to fit last night, didnt touch it today but we escaped a good bit of rain, its fairly green fesh still, but cant get a third wetting. i think a shake out or two tomoorrow providding sun comes out might bale sunday or monday. giving dry til wedensday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

A Wuffler is a good machine but gentle isn’t a word i’d use to describe them, they give the grass a good battering.

Lets say if the grass hasnt been shook out yet and got rain today or tomorrow but was shook out after, what kind of impact would that be?

I am thinking a loss of quality and colour but would it be significant?

When was it cut.
    If it hasn't been shock out yet I'd say it will be fine - very little impact.
    The bigger problem is will you run out of time by Wednesday to get it saved now with temperatures not great and lack of good sunshine ?
    Best of luck with it anyway.

Sami23 wrote: »
    When was it cut.
    If it hasn't been shock out yet I'd say it will be fine - very little impact.
    The bigger problem is will you run out of time by Wednesday to get it saved now with temperatures not great and lack of good sunshine ?
    Best of luck with it anyway.
    Wednesday afternoon, hasnt been shook out.

It is a light crop and is in a field that will dry very quickly.

I took a look at it the other evening and it was very dry already

Wednesday afternoon, hasnt been shook out.

It is a light crop and is in a field that will dry very quickly.

I took a look at it the other evening and it was very dry already

If it's light and not shook out you may have a chance. Grass that is left in rows saves away. It increases DM and water is not lodging in damaged/bruised part of the grass from the hay bob. Biggest mistake lads make is not letting grass save in rows for a few days before going in with a hay bob. If by any chance you cut with a conditioner it will be even higher in DM.

You be surprised but if you got 2-3 good days it might be fit

Slava Ukrainii

Rain here all morning:(

If it's light and not shook out you may have a chance. Grass that is left in rows saves away. It increases DM and water is not lodging in damaged/bruised part of the grass from the hay bob. Biggest mistake lads make is not letting grass save in rows for a few days before going in with a hay bob. If by any chance you cut with a conditioner it will be even higher in DM.

You be surprised but if you got 2-3 good days it might be fit

Thanks for the detail there. Got around half an inch of rain over night.

Tomorrow is a good day 20 degrees etc and the rain clears this evening.

Will ask contractor about mower.

Got in to the habit of making hay two years ago in a good summer. Its handy as less time feeding and less of the dreaded plastic.

A lot of stress with it in terms of weather. Should probably only cut it during a real good summer and then cut loads of it and put it in the shed but thats hard to predict also.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detail there. Got around half an inch of rain over night.

Tomorrow is a good day 20 degrees etc and the rain clears this evening.

Will ask contractor about mower.

Got in to the habit of making hay two years ago in a good summer. Its handy as less time feeding and less of the dreaded plastic.

A lot of stress with it in terms of weather. Should probably only cut it during a real good summer and then cut loads of it and put it in the shed but thats hard to predict also.

Even dry silage is a different product to feed than low DM silage. Haulage type silage is much easier to deal with,plastic is dry bales are way less likely to fall apart when opening and there is way less bales.

Fir instance I always try to make dry silage. It works out not much more expensive. If I pay to turn it twice it 30 euro/ acre that pays for the plastic and 10/acre left over. Hay cannot be packed as much as silage so maybe 9 bales /acre instead of 7 if haylage. That's 50 euro for hay at 5.5/bale as.opoosed to 56 forward to silage at 8 for bale and wraping.

And less stress

Slava Ukrainii

Not too bad here. Sun is coming out between the clouds. No real drying though. Need a bit of wind .
    Rained a good bit yesterday evening and overnight.

Even dry silage is a different product to feed than low DM silage. Haulage type silage is much easier to deal with,plastic is dry bales are way less likely to fall apart when opening and there is way less bales.

Fir instance I always try to make dry silage. It works out not much more expensive. If I pay to turn it twice it 30 euro/ acre that pays for the plastic and 10/acre left over. Hay cannot be packed as much as silage so maybe 9 bales /acre instead of 7 if haylage. That's 50 euro for hay at 5.5/bale as.opoosed to 56 forward to silage at 8 for bale and wraping.

And less stress

Yes dry silage is good alright and a bit cleaner to handle but still the hay is very handy for a part time person wanting to throw out a few bales after work as less work etc.

Had hay that got rain there last year (around 50 round bales) and it was ok stuff a bit discoloured but still well eaten by the animals.

Was hoping to get 50 or so nice bales this year but sure they will be okish stuff now not the best.

Got nice grass coming so will look to maybe make some additional good quality dry silage as well. Nothing worse that taking the plastic off and getting drenched from wet silage. We might get a nice spell over the coming weeks,

Not too bad here. Sun is coming out between the clouds. No real drying though. Need a bit of wind .
    Rained a good bit yesterday evening and overnight.

Had you your stuff in the rows still?

I havent looked at ours yet.

Tomorrow looks good, might look to shake out at 11 am tomorrow.

Yea mine still in the rows. Sane as. Tomorrow looks good especially early part of day. I will turn it out tomorrow .

• Advertisement

Do ye think we'll get Wednesday or Thursday dry or just up to Tuesday lads ?

Hay being cut as I write. It was either now or never.

Thursday is to be wet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

It might be ok for the east and south east until Wednesday night but it doesn’t look great for the west and north during the day but its a long way off yet.

I’ll never make hay again, am still mentally scarred from saving the “hay” in 85 and 86. Hate the bloody stuff.

tanko wrote: »
    It might be ok for the east and south east until Wednesday night but it doesn’t look great for the west and north during the day but its a long way off yet.

I’ll never make hay again, am still mentally scarred from saving the “hay” in 85 and 86. Hate the bloody stuff.
    Chatting to the guy whose cutting my (his) hay. He said it will either be bailed for hay or he'll wrap it. He has 3 other fields to do that he rents.

Up to Thursday id say, take a look at 7 day forecast for local picture on met eireann website

Up to Thursday id say, take a look at 7 day forecast for local picture on met eireann website

Turned out a smashing evening here. If we could get a few days like that we might be ok. Allot of Hay down around me. Some cut last weekend and was turned out. Allot more cut last Wednesday Thursday and still in rows . I’d say the Haybobs will be busy tomorrow

Turned out a smashing evening here. If we could get a few days like that we might be ok. Allot of Hay down around me. Some cut last weekend and was turned out. Allot more cut last Wednesday Thursday and still in rows . I’d say the Haybobs will be busy tomorrow

If stuff is only turned out for 1st time tomorrow its hard to see it being fit to bale by Wednesday though is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

tanko wrote: »

That was an unbelievable time. The hay we made pure black dusty poison. The boss man said put it in the shed. I thought he was mad. Then a few years later, during the winter, a man came from Achill and bought what we had of it. You can never tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A good bit of hay around today knocked and it black looking from a full days rain yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah twas brutal in 85 and 86. Stacked half cured hay bales in the field with tunnels running through the stack. Eventually carted all except the ground rows home, then stacked them again. The 'best' we put in the shed. The poorer stuff we reeked and covered with plastic. Funny, the stuff outside turned out the best. A good few neighbours bought it off me for calves.
    Best of luck to those taking the chance on this window in the weather.

• Advertisement
Advertisement