Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Luxury/Splurge Hotel

Options
  • 25-06-2019 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,

Planning a 5 night trip to NY for a landmark birthday next February and looking to splurge on a luxurious hotel for the first 2 nights with the remaining nights in a regular hotel/Airbnb. Anyone have any recommendations for the luxury one? Was looking at the Refinery. Anyone any experience of this? The Merrion Row looked lovely but reports of constant Irish music being played throughout the hotel put me off. Budget would be €300 max per night for the luxury one.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I'd imagine a luxury hotel in NY would run to a lot more than €300 per night, but best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

Ok, maybe not the Four Seasons and luxury is the wrong word....let's say upmarket/above average then!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Pflano wrote: »
    Ok, maybe not the Four Seasons and luxury is the wrong word....let's say upmarket/above average then!

If your heading to New York, Dont bother splurging on a Hotel room like that, all you'll want is somewhere clean and Central. use the money elsewhere.

I Stayed here

It's central (2 min walk from time square) It was clean, and it didnt cost the earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

It all depends when you are planning on going as hotels in NYC fluctuate greatly based on what's on in the city. You say you are looking to go in February, if its around the 14th, hotels in general will be a lot more expensive than another weekend and a bog standard hotel could cost a lot more than 300. It also depends on what day of the week you are looking to stay and in what neighborhood. If the weekend, look downtown around the financial district as hotels down there are usually cheaper then.

Personally I would stay from any hotel around TS if you are looking for luxury but that is more a personal thing as I hate TS :cool:

Here are a couple of hotels that might be what you are looking for
    https://www.royaltonparkavenue.com/
    https://www.nomosoho.com/
    https://www.gansevoorthotelgroup.com/

Great, thanks guys. I'll check those out. Going at the end of Feb/early March

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Depending on the weekend $300 might only get you a 3* hotel.

Your best bet is to go onto Hotwire or Priceline one or two days before you arrive and book a mystery hotel. You'll know the star rating and location of the hotel but not the name of the actual hotel. A lot of 4/5* hotels put their unsold rooms up on this site at a lower price so they don't have to actually advertise lower prices. Hedge your booking with a cheaper hotel that you can cancel the day before you travel as a back up.

NYC is the best place to do mystery hotels as there are so many hotels on Manhattan and so many empty rooms every night.

But also don't expect real luxury in NYC in the $300 range, most 5* hotels have an awesome lobby but tiny rooms in that range. Realistically you'd have to pay closer to $1000 a night to stay in something truly amazing.

Thanks Hazys. That's a great idea. I did that once before years ago with Priceline and got a great 4 star in NY. Had totally forgotten about it so thanks for the reminder!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If your heading to New York, Dont bother splurging on a Hotel room like that, all you'll want is somewhere clean and Central. use the money elsewhere.

I Stayed here

It's central (2 min walk from time square) It was clean, and it didnt cost the earth!

Also stayed here and can vouch for it being nice, clean and extremely central. I'd stay again if I was going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

I've not checked prices but I suspect this will above your $300 per night max. About 10 years ago I stayed in The Benjamin for 2 weeks with work, very nice and upmarket etc. Could be worth it for a mini-splurge for 2 nights.
    You don't really want to scab your entire trip to NYC, it will give you memories, something to talk about etc.

I'll have a look at that one, thanks! Got a good deal for 5 nights in Broadway Plaza Hotel - it gets great reviews too so booked that with free cancellation so at least I've got that if all else fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

€300 per night in new york wont get you luxury,but will get you nice! The Wellington Hotel is very good,very close to central park.

Advertisement