Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family car

• 25-06-2019 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    Looking to get a second hand family car for anywhere between 11 -13 grand ,

Had a look at a few Qashqai's but didn't really like them , So decide to turn to a 13 or 14 2 liter diesel Superb , Any one have one or any experience of them are they a decent car ?

Or does anyone have any other recommendations for around that price range,
    It'll see plenty of use up and down the country on the motor ways on the weekend's and I need plenty of room for the kids,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot go wrong with Superb if that's what you fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Hey folks

Had a look at a few Qashqai's but didn't really like them , So decide to turn to a 13 or 14 2 liter diesel Superb , Any one have one or any experience of them are they a decent car ?

It'll see plenty of use up and down the country on the motor ways on the weekend's and I need plenty of room for the kids,

the superb is a mighty bus, miles better than the kaskqais, you could take a look at the diesel mondeos or an avensis either, its hard to beat the avensis

the superb is a mighty bus, miles better than the kaskqais, you could take a look at the diesel mondeos or an avensis either, its hard to beat the avensis

Miles better than the Qashqai (Kaskqai, really?) in what way, Tom?

And how exactly is it hard to beat the Avensis?

OP, who and what do you need to carry? Kids x ?/Seats/Boosters, Dog, bicycles etc. What sort of trips in terms of distances, frequency etc? Estimated annual mileage and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

JayZeus wrote:
    OP, who and what do you need to carry? Kids x ?/Seats/Boosters, Dog, bicycles etc. What sort of trips in terms of distances, frequency etc? Estimated annual mileage and so on.

JayZeus wrote:

In fairness both toyota and skoda are far superior cars to nissan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hey folks

We have 2 Superbs and 2 Octavia's in the family.....a Skoda Family, you might say. Never a bother with them, also had a 2008 Skoda Roomster, which was traded in for one of the Superb's. It had 400'000 Klms on it, same engine and gearbox throughout it's life, no major problems with it either..normal consumables, servicing, tyre's etc.The women were a little bit apprehensive at first at the size of the Superb,, but that soon passed. All the Skoda's we have are powered by the 1.6 tdi engine, and they perform as they are supposed to, the 1.6 will drive happily all day long on the motorway at 120KPH, with 4/5 adult passenger's, and a boot full of luggage in it. But personally, I would prefer the 2 ltr engine, but that's only my opinion and sometimes I like to pull a trailer. No shortage of room and boot space,and they are very comfortable to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hey folks

What sort of requirements do you have? long distance driving or lots of short distances?

Do you have small kids to put in and out of car?

Anything like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What sort of requirements do you have? long distance driving or lots of short distances?

Do you have small kids to put in and out of car?

Anything like that?

Midweek is short enough trips but a lot of weekends I do be up and down from Dublin to the Shannon or from Dublin down to Cork and back ,

2 small kids so need room for buggies and bikes and what not,

JayZeus wrote: »

And how exactly is it hard to beat the Avensis?

Midweek is short enough trips but a lot of weekends I do be up and down from Dublin to the Shannon or from Dublin down to Cork and back ,

2 small kids so need room for car seats , buggies and bikes and what not,
    user_online.pngreport.gif progress.gif

If a second car will this be the primary car or is your existing car the primary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Superb estate for carrying the extra gear, fine car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Superb will take them all,,, easily. And there will be enough room on the rear seat to keep the two baby buggies far enough apart to stop them from fighting. ( I speak here from personal experience )The boot space by itself is huge, and if you drop the rear seat, it can take a serious load of bulky items. And even more if you get an estate version. Have a look at the online Superb sales brochure, where you can find all the spec's, inc boot capacity.

If your doing long distance and it will be primary car I would go for something nice to drive. You will be on motorway majority of time so something like A6 or 5 series. You have plenty in budget to get a decent one with low mileage and on those long drives you will love it. Estate even better but the boot is huge on A6 anyway so could be good option

The advanage of Qashqai type vehicle is height for throwing kids in and out of but the Crossover's have a small boot and they will be less econmical on long distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Box09 wrote: »
    In fairness both toyota and skoda are far superior cars to nissan

I wouldn't agree. We've owned at least one from each one, and there's a 2 year old Qashqai in the household. It's a very nice car to both sit in and drive, better than the Toyota's, although they've been a variety of boring Avensis's's. It may help, and it's the same for all cars really, that it's a top spec one, the trim level can make or break a car quite easily.

I also prefer it to the Octavia we had, but in terms of space the Superb would win out.
    but the Crossover's have a small boot and they will be less econmical on long distance.

Depends on the engine, some are ridiculously economical.

If a second car will this be the primary car or is your existing car the primary?

Depends really , this will be the bigger of the two cars but the other car probably see's more mileage during the week ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

If you can get a tow bar. You can get a bike carrier to hold 4 bikes which for growing kids is great and you can attach to any car unlike custom roof bars.

Second on superb or octavia. Massive boot is a dream for family and wife's trips to ikeas.

With seats down and front seat fully forward you can easily get 8ft timber in there. Small van capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

+1 on the superb. you've got boot space for days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

morritty wrote: »
    +1 on the superb. you've got boot space for days

Ditto. Moved from Octavia to superb and the space is noticeable all round.

Do any of you have any thoughts on the Passat 2tdi are they decent cars ?

If I get one it would be around a 14 one,

Just looking at alternatives to the Superb ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re the same general thing as a Superb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 andrew2017

I drove passat for 3 years, great car. lots of boot space and very spacious inside.
    Diesel models are very economical. I used to get 5.5L/100km on motorway or even less if its not windy, and traffic driving - 8L average. If you are gentle on acceleration in traffic - you can easily maintain 6L/100km.

However in reply to above post - I think superb is bigger...

• Advertisement
Advertisement