Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email template when hiring a conveyancing solicitor?

Options
  • 25-06-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Myself and my better half are just about to begin the process of looking for a solicitor in Dublin to handle a house purchase. As it will be our first attempt at this, I am wondering if anyone has a sample email template they used in the past when contacting solicitors?

We are not really sure how we should word it and what we should be asking. I don't want to appear like an amateur either as I am afraid those who we do contact might not respond at all in that case.

It will be a second-hand home and a relatively cheap one at that, just to get us on the ladder.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

You simply need to ask for their fee schedule and details of any disbursements that are charged outside of that.

Try get a recommendation though, or even names of who to avoid. They are all well used to dealing with first time buyers though, and none of them should make you feel like an amateur (this is their expertise, not yours!).

I know a brilliant conveyancing solicitor and can pm you a recommendation if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Hi kcdiom, thanks so much for the response, if you could send me a PM I would certainly appreciate it. I already feel like I know a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Buying house2020

What I did was just ring around and ask to speak to the solicitor and get a guide quotation from them. There can be a huge difference in prices in terms of a few hundred in the difference, so worth shopping around. All of the solicitors I spoke to on the phone seemed more than happy to speak with me and they themselves had some questions about where the house was, who the seller's solicitor was, etc. I got the impression that they also like to know who they will be potentially dealing with during the process. In the end I went with family solicitor, he was fantastic and worked out a good bit cheaper, definitely get a recommendation from family or a good friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Hi kcdiom, thanks so much for the response, if you could send me a PM I would certainly appreciate it. I already feel like I know a lot more!

I've messaged you just now.

Totally agree with speaking with a few people if you dont have a preferred solicitor, you will get a gut feeling for or against someone. I always feel if someone is pricing substantially higher than other people, they dont really want the work so its worth a few calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I got several recommendations from friends who had all recently gone through the house buying process. I then rang 3 or so solicitors, gave them an outline, and asked for a quotation. Went with the solicitor who seemed to balance practicality and price the best.

She’s located in north Co Dublin and I was very happy with her work. If you her details, drop me a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Hi Dudara, if you could please send me a PM I would appreciate it. Thaks to kcdiom I already have one recommendation so at least I can compare then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thepropertyguy

I am a non-practicing property solicitor and I've sent a PM. Feel free to reach out.

Advertisement