Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kit Recommendation for a good Stout for a beginner?

Options
  • 25-06-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭

Having used the two kits I got with my gear, an IPA and a Red Ale, Mrs Sleepy is telling me my next beer has to be a Stout (since she doesn't drink Reds).

Any recommendations for a good beginner Stout kit? Not afraid of hopping a basic kit if it'll result in markedly better beer (While new to beer brewing I've been doing competent country wines and ciders for years).

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've always liked the basic white-label Cooper's Stout. I've had some fun adding chillies to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

St. Peters stout kit is fairly good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I've done the Coopers before as well. Like BeerNut I found it pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

done both coopers is good as a canvas but think st peters is a finished article in a can. have had the same beer in the jeruselam tavern in london very similar. worht the few bob extra

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Read a few reviews and opted for the St Peters. Ordered it along with a bottle rinser and a bottling tap to attach to one of my fermenting buckets. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Get yourself one of those little plastic medicine syringes from the pharmacy, they're about 20c each in my local chemist, and you can make a surprisingly authentic nitro stout head with it - the bubbles will still be CO2 sized and as such they'll burst and lost their texture much faster than with a true nitro pour, but never the less you'll get a nice stout foam for the first few sips of your beer.

Sadly the St Peters Cream Stout was out of stock on geterbrewed (and seems to be in most other places too) so I opted for the Mangrove Jacks Craft Series Pink Grapefruit IPA instead.

Neat trick though! I actually have loads of those syringes from kits for my aquarium so will pop a couple through the dishwasher when the times comes. I'm still planning to get the St Peters kit when it comes back into stock and hopefully get it brewed for Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The trick works well with calpol syringes too. So hit up on any friends who have had kids in the last couple of years.

When you use a syringe in the re-heading test you look scientific; when you use a childs calpol syringe ... you mess with peoples heads. And I like the theatre of it ...

The St Peters Cream Stout came back into stock so it's on it's way!

Advertisement