Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help building PC

Options
  • 25-06-2019 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi I live just outside Cork city. I am looking for someone to help me build my PC. I attempted it but cannot get it to work. No monitor signal detected. All fans are running. Looking for someone in the area who knows what they are doing to help me finish it and show me where i went wrong. Will pay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Paul0123

I tried the monitor using hdmi and display port. Into the graphics card and into the motherboard. Neither work. A red solid red light is showing on my motherboard near a sata port. I can’t post link to iCloud photo as a new user. Monitor was on the right setting

motherboard: MSI MPG Z390I, intel Z390 DDR4
    CPU: Intel core i7-9700k 3.6GHz
    Graphics card: MSI Geforce RTX 2080 Sea Hawk X, 8192MB GDDR6 PCI express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

sugarman wrote: »
    Ok, not want you want to hear but you could need to update the bios on that board in order for it to work with 9th gen processors. In order to do that you'll need an 8th gen CPU.

I've not built a system since Skylake so correct me if I'm wrong but when I search I see the 9000 series was released when that motherboard chipset came out. Also there is no BIOS revision that offers extra CPU support it just states 8000 and 9000 series is supported. The only revision that mentions the 9th gen CPU is improved voltage setting but not having that wouldn't prevent a boot.

Its also a mini version of the motherboard. I didn't realize when i bought it. It only has 2 slots for the ram. I have 16gb kit (2x8GB) DDR4.

I am not confident of doing it properly. Any of you know somewhere to find someone who can do it for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If I was near Cork I'd be happy to but I'm almost 150km away :(

Try what sugarman recommended, using as few parts as needed to attempt a boot.
    Remove GPU, plug HDMI direct to the motherboard
    Try one Ram stick on its own then try the other one on its own
    And recheck all power connections.

Did you buy from amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sugarman wrote: »
    Ok, not want you want to hear but you could need to update the bios on that board in order for it to work with 9th gen processors. In order to do that you'll need an 8th gen CPU.
    FALSE

Z390 is the 9th-gen chipset.
    You're thinking of Z370.
    BIOS update not needed!

The rest is decent advice.

@OP
    Take mobo out of case, lay it on its cardboard box, and try all connectors again - 24-pin mobo, 8-pin CPU, RAM, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Read your motherboard manual, that red led is telling you something. Could be CPU/RAM/GPU related.

Make sure both 24-pin and 8pin power are connected to motherboard first of all.

I cant seem to take out my graphics card. I had to move around the tower fans to fit in my cooling system. It is now very cluttered and hard to get to anything. The motherboard manual is useless. All these videos I have watched on youtube are hard to follow as some of the stuff used is different. I don't want to lump this into a shop to fix it. where can i find someone who can do it on the spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Paul0123 wrote: »
    I cant seem to take out my graphics card. I had to move around the tower fans to fit in my cooling system. It is now very cluttered and hard to get to anything. The motherboard manual is useless. All these videos I have watched on youtube are hard to follow as some of the stuff used is different. I don't want to lump this into a shop to fix it. where can i find someone who can do it on the spot?
    Don't give up ,you can do it...:D
    Just calm down, read and follow manual. Its like sex - only scary at first time, after - its pleasure.

Honestly the motherboard manual isn't useless, it will literally tell you what that solid red light means. It's a diagnostic LED. If you were in Galway I'd take a look at it no bother, I'm sure anyone here in Cork would say the same, but dropping it into a PC shop will likely cost you hundreds for what's probably an easy fix.

• Advertisement

Manual has EZ Debug LED, which indicate the status of the motherboard. It doesnt tell me how i know which part is the problem though, just says indicates CPU not detected or fail, DRAM not detected or fail etc for VGA and BOOT. Its obviously one of them. I wonder if i hit it with a hammer a couple of times will it help?

Normally a board will have multiple LEDs. If you look closely, each will have a unique code. EG 2nd LED = RAM failure, 1st LED = CPU failure, and so on. It isn't a single LED.

CPU led. Which part is my CPU?

Paul0123 wrote: »
    CPU led. Which part is my CPU?
    Well ... that is something

That is part you call "CPU: Intel core i7-9700k 3.6GH"

**** it. Thats not good. that is the very first thing i put in.pretty sure both triangles line up as well. I dont see how i could have put it in wrong.

Advice on how to check if my CPU is not broke?

Impossible to check without spare parts. If the PC is booting and running all fans but just no display, means it's unlikely to be fatal. Is it definitely Z390 rather than Z370?

First test is to remove everything, remove CPU, reinstall, and boot just the motherboard alone outside the case with CPU and one stick of ram.

Can you confirm you installer heatsink on it, according manual, with thermal paste...and cooler fan and it is connected to MoBo @CPU_Fan power connection point?

I put the heatsink on and a pea sized blob of the thermal paste. Have my own cooler fan installed. CPU fan connected to right slot as per manual.

It is Z390 yes

Honestly, at this point, impossible to diagnose without seeing it. Possible CPU or motherboard is faulty, either are unlikely but not unheard of.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys. At this stage i want to slap it off the wall. I'm going to have to bring it to someone and get it sorted. I cant take any more.

Well... not always "first sex" is smooth.:D
    I would start over again..., dismantle all, clean(thermal), observe for visual damage/misalignment, re-assemble. If it still failing, as above, you will need compatible system to test for MoBo/CPU fault/DOA
    Crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Are you sure that you have taken the proper precautions around ESD?

There is a chance that you might have fried the CPU/MB if you have had static on you and it discharged via the MB.

I could not figure out what went wrong so i sent the cpu and mobo back for testing and they both were fine. I got parts back today and attempted to build it again. Now my fans wont start.

finally got something on my monitor. It said please connect pcie power supply to card. So i powered off and connected the other part of my evga cable the 6 pin into the 6 pin socket in my card. SO then i had both the 8 pin and 6 pin filled on my card by the same cable coming from the power supply. I booted again and no fan started. Now then i take out the 6 pin still have no fans starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Are you 100% sure all the parts are compatible with each other?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can you take some photos & upload to Imgur/Google Photo?
    Your descriptions are too vague to help us really.

Advertisement