Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY polytunnel

Options
  • 25-06-2019 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at making a polytunnel using PVc tubing.
    Has anyone here down it. What diameter tubing. 1 or 2 inch.

I'm considering a 6*3 m one.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Are you going to break that lovely "garden" with a cheap pvc polytunnel that can fly at first serious wind !?? Not worth it.

If you decide to use pvc, make sure you anchor it / frame it well … or … better get some stainless based frame....or make it out of timber frame diy.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

rolion wrote: »
    Are you going to break that lovely "garden" with a cheap pvc polytunnel that can fly at first serious wind !?? Not worth it.

If you decide to use pvc, make sure you anchor it / frame it well … or … better get some stainless based frame....or make it out of timber frame diy.

Good luck

agree re the wind, knowing where you are. I had one in the Leitrim mountains and the only way it survived was by leaving the doors off in a gale .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If you do a search there is an old thread here somewhere where someone did a DIY tunnel using scaffold tubes and water pipe, it might be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Good luck

I was planning on using rebar as a foundation with the PVC going onto it.

On that land of yours...btw ,i envy you a lot... well, if i will have the imagination flying rich and up, i will build a nice 30meters x 7 meters x 5 meters type unit that will feed my family 10 months out of 12 per year..

483821.jpg

483822.jpg

483823.jpg

483824.jpg

483825.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

@ Rolion, what would you be looking at for a tunnel like that? 6k?

MacDanger wrote: »
    @ Rolion, what would you be looking at for a tunnel like that? 6k?

Dunno to be honest !
    Is subject of how much DIY can be done and location for sourcing the parts...anything between 5 and 10k.

Inside,you can grow from vegetables to fruit trees and you name it.

The beauty is not mine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'm looking at making a polytunnel using PVc tubing.
    Not strong enough for the job.

recedite wrote: »
    Not strong enough for the job.

Seems to be a lot to diy tunnels make from it or pe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Here's a video of someone building one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4o7SL4KZNA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Murt10 wrote: »
    Here's a video of someone building one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4o7SL4KZNA
    Those blue pipes are much thicker than standard white pvc pipes.
    They would be polypropylene (I think) but again not much good for the job as they would go soft in high temperatures.

If you want a polytunnel, don't mess around with this plastic junk. Get a proper one with a galvanised steel frame from a reputable manufacturer.
    Then it will be able to withstand heat and storms.
    And not be just some more broken plastic waste for the local landfill site.If you can't afford it right now, start saving.

recedite wrote: »
    Those blue pipes are much thicker than standard white pvc pipes.
    They would be polypropylene (I think) but again not much good for the job as they would go soft in high temperatures.

If you want a polytunnel, don't mess around with this plastic junk. Get a proper one with a galvanised steel frame from a reputable manufacturer.
    Then it will be able to withstand heat and storms.
    And not be just some more broken plastic waste for the local landfill site.If you can't afford it right now, start saving.

agree wholeheartedly especially at that site.

Seems to be a lot to diy tunnels make from it or pe.

They are correct but they are made for increasing position or audience on some social networks... not for the real passion and love.

Did my greenhouse with my mind and heart (pocket as well) and I love it every second. I could find lots of reasons to spend hours in there and just do things. And plants love me giving me back the evergreen and potpourri of colours.

For a cheapie side polytunnel, if is not up to a satisfactory standard, plants will not be happy and start falling to "dead side" and you will be disappointed. You will feel like things are not working and you give up, with a loss of hopes ,non-recyclable plastic and some cash wasted.

Get your mind and pocket together and "install" a proper greenhouse or tunnel. Plants will thrive nicely and healthy for you and get byour family involved along the process. Multiply thousands of times the feelings and excitement from your moment when you collected your first timer radishes, couple of days ago... ;)

Not lastly, friendly question … are you thoroughly prepared to have a greenhouse or a polytunnel !? It will create a big challenge, is not something that you raise in that corner and go walk away, coming back at weekend !!!

Either way, have fun ...

They are correct but they are made for increasing position or audience on some social networks... not for the real passion and love.

Get your mind and pocket together and "install" a proper greenhouse or tunnel. Plants will thrive nicely and healthy for you and get byour family involved along the process. Multiply thousands of times the feelings and excitement from your moment when you collected your first timer radishes, couple of days ago... ;)

I revelled in mine. sweet corn, a grape vine, a passion flower.... beans of all kinds... it was a micro climate.. I expected to see monkeys swinging from the roof... Bliss ..miss it... STOP, GRACES!

Did my greenhouse with my mind and heart (pocket as well) and I love it every second. I could find lots of reasons to spend hours in there and just do things. And plants love me giving me back the evergreen and potpourri of colours.

For a cheapie side polytunnel, if is not up to a satisfactory standard, plants will not be happy and start falling to "dead side" and you will be disappointed. You will feel like things are not working and you give up, with a loss of hopes ,non-recyclable plastic and some cash wasted.

Not lastly, friendly question … are you thoroughly prepared to have a greenhouse or a polytunnel !? It will create a big challenge, is not something that you raise in that corner and go walk away, coming back at weekend !!!

Either way, have fun ...

Some good points Rolion. Hopefully we'll see good discounts at the end of the season on tunnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've seen a few homemade tunnels that worked well, (the smaller ones), the bigger you go the harder it is to do well... I've seen one done with esb ducting, braced with rebar, and strapped together with cut up rubber inner tube...
    (make sure any plastic tube is uv stable...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement