Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americans? Opinions?

• 25-06-2019 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

What preconceived ideas do you have about Americans?
    Positive?
    Negative?
    What's the first thing you think of if you know you'll be meeting someone from the US?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

*awaits responses with baited breath

*NOT :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Angel1971 wrote: »
    Positive?
    Negative?
    What's the first thing you think of if you know you'll be meeting someone from the US?

They're alright, the ordinary ones. I worked with a few and they were fairly personable.

I don't like the loud ones though, or the federal types who like to bully other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What do you think yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dallas.
    I grew up in the 80s.

As individuals they are individual.

Their corporate culture though... yikes.

It is vast and contradicts itself. It is the NRA and National Geographic.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Really boring f**kers for the most part but that's a big generalisation. I suppose I met the boring ones because I used to work in software and they'd come to our offices and maybe out for a beer sometime and just bore you to death. All dress the exact same too. Those stupid body warmer things and chinos.
    I've also met some of the coolest people ever that are yanks. Plus black Americans are a totally different culture and way less boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fat with no sense of humour is a slight generalisation but pretty much sums them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Angel1971

What do you think yourself?
    I think I'm friendly and likeable. I love meeting new people and experiencing new adventures.
    I'll be traveling to Ireland soon for the first time and wondered if there was a positive or negative association.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Naive, dumb.

Most Americans are like anyone else, perfectly average people getting by as best they can.

I think I'm friendly and likeable. I love meeting new people and experiencing new adventures.
    I'll be traveling to Ireland soon for the first time and wondered if there was a positive or negative association.

You'll be alright.

• Advertisement

Fat with no sense of humour is a slight generalisation but pretty much sums them up.
    Dang. That's sucks.
    I need to stalk all your posts to show you how funny and clever I am. ðŸ˜

You should introduce yourself sometimes as Canadian to a new set of people. See if theres a difference. Social experiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As they live in the greatest open air asylum in the world, there's bound to be a fair share of headers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

They are really good at building barns.

odyssey06 wrote: »

You should introduce yourself sometimes as Canadian to a new set of people. See if theres a difference. Social experiment.
    Oh, good idea.
    However the problem with that is as soon as I start to speak and the "y'all" and 'fixin' starts flowing, it will be obvious I'm from the south.

Yester wrote: »
    Ok... that made me giggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

I associate Americans with being too friendly, borderline intrusive. My experience visiting the US and working on the grounds of a big tourist attraction in Dublin has been that they'll make unnecessary conversation, and have no concept of me not being interested. Also loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You drive ridiculously big cars, especially pick up trucks, for no apparent reason except to pollute the air and burn as much fuel as possible. Last time I was there nearly every vehicle was a 8 litre enging GMC truck with one dude driving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Really boring f**kers for the most part but that's a big generalisation. I suppose I met the boring ones because I used to work in software and they'd come to our offices and maybe out for a beer sometime and just bore you to death. All dress the exact same too. Those stupid body warmer things and chinos.
    I've also met some of the coolest people ever that are yanks. Plus black Americans are a totally different culture and way less boring.

Have always found them quite boring too, sisters partner is American and very boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yester wrote: »

That’s the Hamish your thinking of, nice people, weird dress sense though.

• Advertisement

Oh, good idea.
    However the problem with that is as soon as I start to speak and the "y'all" and 'fixin' starts flowing, it will be obvious I'm from the south.

I wonder if you said you were from Alberta or Calgary how many Irish people would cop on you are spoofing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Absolutely no concept of sarcasm.

GRACKEA wrote: »
    I associate Americans with being too friendly, borderline intrusive. My experience visiting the US and working on the grounds of a big tourist attraction in Dublin has been that they'll make unnecessary conversation, and have no concept of me not being interested. Also loud.
    I'd be willing to bet they just wanted to hear your accent ;-)

Yeah that's really annoying and intrusive.

But I suppose the willingness to talk to strangers and engage with other cultures is positive, so don't let my crankiness put you off :)

But I suppose the willingness to talk to strangers and engage with other cultures is positive, so don't let my crankiness put you off :)

Nah, if you want to be cranky-pants that's your choice.
    I like meeting new people. Other cultures are fascinating to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

As mixed a bag as any other nationality. Some good, some bad and the rest indifferent. Also thank former servicemen and women way more than any other nationality.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Positive?
    Negative?

I hear they eat human flesh with cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Americans are eating themselves alive. With the Democrats vs Republicans. Blacks vs whites. Americans vs illegal immigrants.

California, the most liberal state is on life support. Now talks of reparations is dividing the country even more.

• Advertisement

As mixed a bag as any other nationality. Some good, some bad and the rest indifferent. Also thank former servicemen and women way more than any other nationality.
    I think that might be because most service members volunteer to serve. Some countries dont give their citizens a choice.
    I'm not sure what Ireland does for its military.

Something to watch out for thats been hinted at. You get talking to some irish people in pub and getting along great. They may not be there to make new friends... may have lived in Dublin all their lives and already cant keep up with some old friends. They are just happy out having some craic. Dont take it personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

You drive ridiculously big cars, especially pick up trucks, for no apparent reason except to pollute the air and burn as much fuel as possible. Last time I was there nearly every vehicle was a 8 litre enging GMC truck with one dude driving it.

Jealous :pac:

Ill have you know each of trucks only has a five liter engine :D

Something to watch out for thats been hinted at. You get talking to some irish people in pub and getting along great. They may not be there to make new friends... may have lived in Dublin all their lives and already cant keep up with some old friends. They are just happy out having some craic. Dont take it personally.
    I can respect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Where in America what background etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Hope you have a great time.

My first time in the US was in LA. It was big and impersonal, then a man in a bus station invited me to watch the basketball on his little pay-per-view TV as he was about to leave.
    Since then I've met some great Americans on other forums. They're just the same as everyone else.
    You'll find most people in Ireland will forget stereotypes as soon as you get talking to them.

• Advertisement

Where in America what background etc?
    Good question since there are different cultures depending on what area of the country.
    For example the west coast can have the reputation of being vain and over indulging, the midwest are friendly hard working family people, the south are hicks with no education and marry their cousins and the east coast are rude and standoffish.
    But like a few have said earlier, it all depends on the individual.
    I just wasnt sure if there was a generalization made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think they're great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Everything is a bit ott with Americans I find. The concept of 'nothing much, seriously' and of keeping to yourself is not in the lexicon.

Hope you have a great time.

My first time in the US was in LA. It was big and impersonal, then a man in a bus station invited me to watch the basketball on his little pay-per-view TV as he was about to leave.
    Since then I've met some great Americans on other forums. They're just the same as everyone else.
    You'll find most people in Ireland will forget stereotypes as soon as you get talking to them.

Oh that makes me happy.
    I've told me friends I may never come back.
    I'll find a lad who wants to marry me and get a US citizenship.
    :-D
    (Kidding!!!!!!!)

I think that might be because most service members volunteer to serve. Some countries dont give their citizens a choice.
    I'm not sure what Ireland does for its military.

They don't pay them well enough usually

Or send them to places like Mali where our lads have no business being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Positive?
    Negative?

Have they paid their entry fee to Ireland?
    If you haven't, I can get you a one off discount price of 11,000 dollars.

If you happen to find yourself in Cork on a sunday in summer, you may see lots of confederate flags. Cork is called the rebel county and their sports teams wear red.
    In case you thought you had arrived at some sort of political rally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Are you arriving on a commercial flight...or in a B52.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I find them narcissistic, self obsessed, opinionated and loud as a rule. The ones I've come across online seem to need constant validation. Have a look on Reddit in the 'offmychest' section or 'lookwhatimade' section. Absolute drivel and less than mediocre but God forbid if you even suggest their ramblings or piss poor attempt at a hat stand is anything short of awesome.
    They have a very limited grasp on sarcasm, are very, very easily offended and cry >insert your 'ism' and/or 'phobic here< at anything that goes even slightly against their delicate sensibilities. They also genuinely believe that absolute strangers desperately want to hear every little bit of verbal diarrhoea they puke up....

I play an online game that has dedicated EU servers as well as NA, ASIA etc. In general, everyone sticks to their own area and when they do the in game chat is very limited and relevant to the game on the EU servers. Well, when a yank does venture over you can't get them to STFU........they start ****eing on about how on their other account they are 100 times better etc....... screaming about trash and calling grown men 'kid'....

I hate Americans like this.

If you happen to find yourself in Cork on a sunday in summer, you may see lots of confederate flags. Cork is called the rebel county and their sports teams wear red.
    In case you thought you had arrived at some sort of political rally.
    Ok clearly I'm going to need an "Irish to English" dictionary.
    What the hell is a pokit?

Oh that makes me happy.
    I've told me friends I may never come back.
    I'll find a lad who wants to marry me and get a US citizenship.
    :-D
    (Kidding!!!!!!!)

Sorry I couldn't resist it. Haha

https://youtu.be/WYGUKCINF_w

archer22 wrote: »
    Are you arriving on a commercial flight...or in a B52.
    Silly guy

Ok clearly I'm going to need an "Irish to English" dictionary.
    What the hell is a pokit?

A pokit is what happens when my phone posts the reply before I finish typing political.

Or it may be a delicacy in Cork involving pigs trotters.

Or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Good question since there are different cultures depending on what area of the country.
    For example the west coast can have the reputation of being vain and over indulging, the midwest are friendly hard working family people, the south are hicks with no education and marry their cousins and the east coast are rude and standoffish.
    But like a few have said earlier, it all depends on the individual.
    I just wasnt sure if there was a generalization made.

I have even noticed different things like different personal space and different volumes at which people speak at.

Some Americans actually have quiet accents.

Here is a tip if their accent is loud they will prefer it if you stand further away and give them more personal space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Angel1971 wrote:

The Irish accent??? Which one? There's about 40 different ones

• Advertisement
Advertisement