Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Draft Tournament - New Signups!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

All time European cup competitions draft
    Just noticed that MNG mentioned Rose’s form in the Champions League this past season in his pick. It just made me think, are people going to take into account how a player fared in European and domestic cup competitions during their peak in the Premier League as well, or is it strictly based on league form? Will some people look upon form in other competitions as either validation or doubt of their quality that they could or couldn’t perform to the same level against European clubs? I have a feeling the answer to all the above is a firm no, but I’d be interested to hear if anyone has a different opinion.

That’s not a slight at you for bringing that up MNG, it just raised a thought in my head is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Also, here’s the table after round 9:

485524.jpeg

I’ll leave this alone until the last round has been completed, it’s much handier doing two rounds at once and it’s not hugely important either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Current Premier League Draft
    Can see that being a contentious pick.

I stand by my reasoning though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,453 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

All time English league draft
    Was a coin flip for myself between Lehmann and Lloris. Went for Lloris as he was more dependable I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just noticed that MNG mentioned Rose’s form in the Champions League this past season in his pick. It just made me think, are people going to take into account how a player fared in European and domestic cup competitions during their peak in the Premier League as well, or is it strictly based on league form? Will some people look upon form in other competitions as either validation or doubt of their quality that they could or couldn’t perform to the same level against European clubs? I have a feeling the answer to all the above is a firm no, but I’d be interested to hear if anyone has a different opinion.

That’s not a slight at you for bringing that up MNG, it just raised a thought in my head is all.

Yeah i will, it gives an idea of how good they were at the time and to show they won big trophies at their peak, particularly when you're going way back. Like i pointed to the fact Desailly was part of a rock solid France defence that won a WC and European Cup while at Chelsea to illustrate that he was at his peak there.

Carrick as well, the fact he was part of a side that consistently faught at the top end of europe (3 CL finals) came into it a bit for me.

Anyone picking any of the current Liverpool players too I'm sure were swayed by the recent CL win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Have my team finished yet still finding it torturous when the picks slow down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sorry lads have been away since Sunday so haven't been on as much, final pick made and next poster PM'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'll miss PMing KBurke and Ferris :) Picks finally done for me, nearly there now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Love these. Think it'll be good for the forum too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Was a coin flip for me between Bould and Mertesacker. I originally wanted to pair Mert and Koscielny again but was worried public opinion of the Arsenal defense in general during that era is so poor it would count against me but those 2 were a genuinely very good partnership. Between that and the feeling of Bould being that more commanding, leader type I went with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When I see some of the players being picked it makes my toes hurt!

All opinions of course but there are still some real gems still available, I think some people could get a real bargain in this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

All opinions of course but there are still some real gems still available, I think some people could get a real bargain in this round.

That's the thing with an all time PL draft, it's so easy to miss a name and forget someone.

There's three players I can think of for my last pick that were all world class at one stage in the league.

What I need to figure out is which will be looked at as the best and also fit into the formation.

But whichever I pick I'll be leaving what I think are two world class players on the board still and I'm fairly sure they won't be picked looking at the teams behind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There is plenty of gems, that havent been picked,that I only remembered after I had selected selected a player in similar position, I'm sure the same will happen with this round

For fun if you're interested, bucketybuck you can throw together a best of the rest side at the end.

Could lead to a few "ah ****e" moments for the rest of us :pac:

There is loads of class players left really, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder! There's probably two or three other teams could be made of whats left or what will be left that would look well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

For fun if you're interested, bucketybuck you can throw together a best of the rest side at the end.

Are we not doing 12th pick then? I think it be a missed chance for varying tactics would make it fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I don't mind a sub round but my team is set so for me it would be a waste of time.

And then have some smartarse come along and tell me how bad it is and point out how wrong I am?

Ok, just for the craic.

And then have some smartarse come along and tell me how bad it is and point out how wrong I am?

Ok, just for the craic.

Hopefully you're not that sensitive :pac:

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Are we not doing 12th pick then? I think it be a missed chance for varying tactics would make it fun.

Sure we'll test the waters so. I'll put up two post. One for a sub pick, one against.

Whichever has the most likes at the end of the current round of picks we'll go with.

Yes - I want a sub/12th round pick

No - I don't want a sub/12th round pick

Sure we'll test the waters so. I'll put up two post. One for a sub pick, one against.

Whichever has the most likes at the end of the current round of picks we'll go with.

Should be limited to just players. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ok, just for the craic.

Ive been putting one together aswel. I would be confident that that 4/5 would be very disappointed to not be considered one of the 16 best players in their positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Definitely post up the ones that were missed when the draft picks are done. Be very interested to see them

• Advertisement

Jimmy Floyd great value at this stage.

Still at least 4 quality forwards available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The vast majority of value still around is in the forwards because many are going with one striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Very, very strong team by Morzadec

And we're done.

Flowers
    Petrescu Carvalho Carragher Pearce
    Cazorla Mascherano Dembele
    J.Cole Aguero Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

RasTa wrote: »
    Very, very strong team by Morzadec

Yep, said it earlier in this thread that I couldnt see any team being stronger than his/hers and they've finished it out with a great last round pick in nani

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Are all the picks done now.

Are all the picks done now.

Yes.

The amount of one striker teams make it understandable to a point, but Klinsmann not being picked is a little astounding.

Beardsley and Les Ferdinand another 2 who would've been superb on a few teams.

Di Canio might've been seen as too much of a loose cannon.

SlickRic wrote: »
    The amount of one striker teams make it understandable to a point, but Klinsmann not being picked is a little astounding.

Loads not picked I was tempted by Zlatan too to be honest he was super for a season in a poor team.

A few great value picks like Ronnie Johnson and Tim Flowers in that last round, and Nani was far better than he gets credit for so another great value late pick.

Still a few quality players missed out though, with Klinsmann a real obvious one especially when compared to some of the players that did go. To my mind as big a shock is that Colin Hendry was missed out on, he was a title winning beast of a defender that was far better than some of those selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I really wanted the extra round pick to pair up Yorke with Cole, but couldnt put him into how I wanted to set up initially.

A few great value picks like Ronnie Johnson and Tim Flowers in that last round, and Nani was far better than he gets credit for so another great value late pick.

Still a few quality players missed out though, with Klinsmann a real obvious one especially when compared to some of the players that did go. To my mind as big a shock is that Colin Hendry was missed out on, he was a title winning beast of a defender that was far better than some of those selected.

I considered Nani, but Joe Cole pipped him for me.

Hendry is another I assumed would go in the final rounds.

I almost took Kanchelskis in an earlier round too.

Henrik Larsson :pac:

Yeah Klinsmann was the surprise for me too, I was going to try a player from one team only till I crapped myself when all the top CBs were flying off the shelves :)

Some tasty teams I have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I’m amazed that Southgate, Hendry, Ehiogu, Sheringham and Yorke were not picked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Was stuck between Dunne, Southgate Hendry and Ronny for my last pick. Hadnt seen enough of Hendry and Ronnys stats weren't as good as I remembered. Hoping Dunnes longevity will count for more.

Had Klinsmann on my initial list but again prob didnt see enough of him in that season to know his role but remember him being class.

Very surprised Southgate, Yorke and Sheringham not going as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Colin Hendry the biggest surprise for me. Tim Sherwood, kanchelskis and southgate also surprise omissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Surprised no one took Mark Schwarzer. Was one of the Premier League's most reliable keepers for many years. Speaking of former Middlesbrough players, no takers for Juninho surprises me given his impact on the league.

Few cracking CBs still remaining: Hendry, Leboeuf, Ehiogu, Southgate, Otamendi, Mellberg.

Thought Arbeloa and Wes Brown might be taken as FB options. Ziege would have been a nice LWB option.

Very surprised no one took Sylvain Wiltord. Always thought he was a big threat for Arsenal in the 2000s. There's a few players from that Arsenal team that seem to have been forgotten. Flamini, Hleb and Edu all would have been solid picks. Thought Petrov and Tugay would be taken as midfield options.

Thought for sure Bellamy would be snapped up as a useful option out wide. Quite a lot of attacking midfielders didn't make it: Nasri, Djorkaeff, Benayoun, Berkovic, Huckerby.

A lot of quality strikers left behind which I expected as there have been a lot of great ones, but really surprised on an Irish forum no one went for Robbie Keane.

You could put together a pretty decent 'reject' XI:

Schwarzer

--Babbel
    Leboeuf
    Hendry
    Kolarov

Flamini
    Parker

Wiltord
    Juninho
    Bellamy

Ferdinand

Surprised no one took Mark Schwarzer. Was one of the Premier League's most reliable keepers for many years. Speaking of former Middlesbrough players, no takers for Juninho surprises me given his impact on the league.

Few cracking CBs still remaining: Hendry, Leboeuf, Ehiogu, Southgate, Otamendi, Mellberg.

Thought Arbeloa and Wes Brown might be taken as FB options. Ziege would have been a nice LWB option.

Very surprised no one took Sylvain Wiltord. Always thought he was a big threat for Arsenal in the 2000s. There's a few players from that Arsenal team that seem to have been forgotten. Flamini, Hleb and Edu all would have been solid picks. Thought Petrov and Tugay would be taken as midfield options.

Thought for sure Bellamy would be snapped up as a useful option out wide. Quite a lot of attacking midfielders didn't make it: Nasri, Djorkaeff, Benayoun, Berkovic, Huckerby.

A lot of quality strikers left behind which I expected as there have been a lot of great ones, but really surprised on an Irish forum no one went for Robbie Keane.

You could put together a pretty decent 'reject' XI:

Schwarzer

--Babbel
    Leboeuf
    Hendry
    Kolarov

Flamini
    Parker

Wiltord
    Juninho
    Bellamy

Ferdinand

Bellamy was my biggest headache tbh, I was so tempted for him for lw spot.

Lebouf was picked no?

Barthez
    Rob Jones
    Hendry
    Southgate
    Sylvinho
    Florent Malouda
    Park Ji Sung/Rob Lee
    Ruud Gullit
    Darren Anderton
    Juninho
    Klinsman/Phillips

Not saying that these are round one picks or anything, but when you see Dele Ali and Vardy picked but not the likes of Peter Beardsley or Juninho it does raise an eyebrow.

Southhall
    Rob Jones
    Hendry
    Southgate
    Sylvinho

Parker
    Parlour

Park
    Nasri

Costa

Then you have klinsman sturridge Cahill vdv adebayour abamayang Yorke sherringham gullit Webelos bridge Luiz Laporte juninho

Michu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

duffman13 wrote: »
    Lebouf was picked no?

Don't think so unless I've missed it. I was close to picking him to partner Stam.

Gus Poyet's another one I thought would be snapped up as a goalscoring midfielder.
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    Michu

I think Michu scores strongly for peak performance but the longevity argument hurts him. I'd put Arshavin in a similar category.

Diego Costa is a smashing shout.

Forgot about him completely.

Diego Costa is a smashing shout.

Forgot about him completely.

I was between him and Firmino so could have easily taken him several rounds ago

• Advertisement

Its hard to judge what others are thinking personally I tried to focus on links or players that actually won things and awards and suited the way I wanted my team to play.

Out of all the players listed the only player I hadn't thought about and concidered was Scott Parker. Gulit albeit an excellent player wasn't really someone that performed in the premier league at a top level for a long period.

You could also mention vialli and raveneli at that rate.

Was merson picked actually?

Advertisement