Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Draft Tournament - New Signups!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

All time English league draft
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    It's not going to effect me in the slightest but don't agree that the reserve should get his 2nd round pick 1st. It disadvantages everyone else that was due their 2nd round pick before them

It just offsets the advantage we all got in round 1 by moving up one place in the queue.

I.e I was supposed to be 15th / 2nd, instead I'd be 14th/3rd. Seems the most fair to me, the reserve who'd be helping us all out by stepping in would be getting seriously shafted otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He could pick after 16th picks his 2 picks? And then slots back in to his normal one on way back.. I'd agree if you miss a round completely, a reserve should go in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Current Premier League Draft
    Okay sorry about the delay lads I will usually be online more during the weeks, ended up on a bit of a bender last night which left me sleeping half the day! Happy with my pick of Gerrard. I think Henry and Ronaldo were always going to be the first two picks, after that then everyone will have their own preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I was surprised to see Vieria go below Keane, Lampard and Gerrard. Started to dream he was forgotten and might fall to me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

PM sent to Kburke85 for next pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

correction wrote: »
    I was surprised to see Vieria go below Keane, Lampard and Gerrard. Started to dream he was forgotten and might fall to me. :D

Me too, its a bit of a battle between Keane and Vieira, Lampard and Gerrard are different midfielders and bring a few more goals to a team. Interesting to see midfielders being snapped up first though.

Man I hate being 10th :pac: I can guarantee that nearly all the players I have my eye on for first pick will be gone before I get to choose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I expected Shearer to go after Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

He's gone now. Amazed he lasted as long.

Pick made and Pm sent

There's so many great players it's hard to know which order they should go - I can see why people went for influential captains like Keane and Viera or talismanic players like Gerrard and Lampard ahead of him. That said he's a nice pick to have at this stage, probably the best natural number 9 / goalscorer in the era

There's a player who hasn't been picked yet that I'd probably have in my top 3, wonder if there's any chance he'll slip through to 15th...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Has anyone not been surprised their pick was still available

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Has anyone not been surprised their pick was still available

Yeah even though I'm 15th I'm still going to have the choice of a really top player who achieved something very special or was hugely influential in a great Premier League team.

I don't think there's been any shockers in terms of one player going ahead of another player yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

There's the top two who always go first and second in Ronaldo and Henry. Then you are into players like Shearer etc. The 3 midfielders in Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard (basically whichever is your preference) then it's the highly influential captains like Keane and Vieira.

Outside of Ronaldo and Henry (who if you are one of the first two picks I think you'd be mad to look elsewhere) I would think it's more about how you want to start building your team. Some like to start with a leader in midfield, some like to start at the back. Some want to get as good a striker as they possibly can.

It'll be the much later rounds before we start seeing a few outside the box picks and they could really be the difference.

Totally forgot Bale played in the PL :pac: how the hell did I do that

astradave wrote: »
    Totally forgot Bale played in the PL :pac: how the hell did I do that

I thought he had a chance of making it back round to me for this very reason. Unfortunately not though

Because when you think of a Welsh wizard left winger you don't think of Gareth Bale?

Shushhhhhhh ;)

Terry a good pick at this stage i reckon, can make a strong case for him being the standout cb of the era and then you've got yourself a strong leader as influential as keane and viera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I was uncomfortable picking Drogba this early but as soon as I saw I couldn't get Henry, Ronaldo or Shearer I wanted Drogba and I didn't want to risk missing out on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Didn't get a pm but am I up next judging by the list and do I have two picks? What's happening There after.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was under the impression you get two picks and then we work through the list in reverse from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm amazed how outraged I am by the fact two obvious Utd players are still missing from the list. These list things are very emotive.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Didn't get a pm but am I up next judging by the list and do I have two picks? What's happening There after.

Sorry mate, forgot about the PM!

Do we have a stand in ready to go? Doesn't look like the missing poster has been back on to say he wants to play so we should get a reserve confirmed.

I'd say we should confirm who that is and then let Incognito Man decide how we're going to resolve this - maybe better to wait before we have all this confirmed before you make your picks?

Was it SlickRic that was first reserve? Or did I miss someone?

SlickRic is first reserve ye

He is but what way are you going to integrate him. Do I get two picks now and then he gets one and he carry on in the spot where the original poster should go or what?

• Advertisement

So if it was the original poster I'd leave them in their position and let them pick twice when it got back to them.

But after This is it missed an almost entire round of picks I think the best option to just move it onto a reserve in the hope of keeping this draft moving at a reasonable pace. SlickRic postes fairly regularly here anyway so hopefully no further issues.

Unfortunately the only way to add in the new player and not massively disadvantage them is to put them in the last position. So Jayo you are the 15th pick now.

Make your selection, pm SlickRic. SlickRic makes the last selection of round 1 and we reverse the order so SlickRic then makes the first selection of round 2 and then Jayo so on.

Apologies Jayo because I know the double selection can be good if you are looking at two players you feel would do well together but on the plus side there will be one player more in the selection pool than you would have originally had to choose from for your first pick.

Ok done and slic has been messaged.

Can't believe rooney was still free no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So I'm making two picks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ridiculous Rooney fell that far.

SlickRic wrote: »
    So I'm making two picks?

Yep.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Ridiculous Rooney fell that far.

Agree I'm delighted.

The strikers are flying out now, last 5 picks in a row have all been forwards.

So if it was the original poster I'd leave them in their position and let them pick twice when it got back to them.

But after This is it missed an almost entire round of picks I think the best option to just move it onto a reserve in the hope of keeping this draft moving at a reasonable pace. SlickRic postes fairly regularly here anyway so hopefully no further issues.

Unfortunately the only way to add in the new player and not massively disadvantage them is to put them in the last position. So Jayo you are the 15th pick now.

Make your selection, pm SlickRic. SlickRic makes the last selection of round 1 and we reverse the order so SlickRic then makes the first selection of round 2 and then Jayo so on.

Apologies Jayo because I know the double selection can be good if you are looking at two players you feel would do well together but on the plus side there will be one player more in the selection pool than you would have originally had to choose from for your first pick.

I do think this was the fairest solution and allows SlickRic a fair crack. Thanks for stepping in Slick.

I'm loving the continuing "outrage and incredulity" about players falling so low :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Morzadec wrote: »
    I do think this was the fairest solution and allows SlickRic a fair crack. Thanks for stepping in Slick.

I'm loving the continuing "outrage and incredulity" about players falling so low :D

it's genuine with Aguero IMO :D

doesn't get half the credit he warrants.

Even when you look at the selections and even when you think of the players left, there is such an abundance of talented forwards that played in the PL. I was secretly hoping that Aguero would slip thru the cracks.

I had a plan from the start but might need to abandon that already :pac:

Happy out with my two picks some younger fans might not appreciate just how good both were at the absolute peak but won't get many better then them at assisting and scoring.

The order for picks is now

redzerdrog
    Liam O
    Lucas Hood
    Mr.Nice Guy
    Ferris_Bueller
    duffman13
    KBurke85
    martyos121
    astradave
    dr.kenneth noisewater
    IncognitoMan
    correction
    Dozyart
    Morzadec
    jayo26
    SlickRic

Have we got any mods that can edit it into the original post in the picks thread?

Sorry mate, forgot about the PM!

Just checking did you remember to message dozyart??

Some nice movement on picks this morning makes game more enjoyable.

I did yeah - agreed it's been good to get it moving!

I agree, I do like both your picks and I think I would've gone for the same two players in your position.

I think Hazard is another that may be a bit underrated by some

• Advertisement

I agree, I do like both your picks and I think I would've gone for the same two players in your position.

I think Hazard is another that may be a bit underrated by some

It depends on what way players are going to use them or how people judge which team is better. If they are been judged on best season ever then noway should rooney or Aguero be as low as they were but also Beckham for instant in his best season he was a genius for united on the right.

If your going to judge players on their full premierleague career then hazzard has had some underachieving seasons too in my opinion.

It depends on what way players are going to use them or how people judge which team is better. If they are been judged on best season ever then noway should rooney or Aguero be as low as they were but also Beckham for instant in his best season he was a genius for united on the right.

If your going to judge players on their full premierleague career then hazzard has had some underachieving seasons too in my opinion.

Yeah this is interesting, it does say "at their peak" which was a big reason I picked Suarez, few match him at his peak. Some players only had 3 years in the league, even Ronaldo who went first pick surprisingly only had the one season where he broke 20 goals and maybe only 3 total where he was considered one of the top players in the league at the time.

That said, I do think longevity comes into it too, the reliability of having done it season after season and being a mainstay in great teams.

I think a mixture of both will come into play in the assessment.

Hazard did have some poor seasons it's true.

Yeah this is interesting, it does say "at their peak" which was a big reason I picked Suarez, few match him at his peak. Some players only had 3 years in the league, even Ronaldo who went first pick surprisingly only had the one season where he broke 20 goals and maybe only 3 total where he was considered one of the top players in the league at the time.

That said, I do think longevity comes into it too, the reliability of having done it season after season and being a mainstay in great teams.

I think a mixture of both will come into play in the assessment.

Hazard did have some poor seasons it's true.

I really think it will be the people voting that will actually decide on their own views really, basically whoever picked Ronaldo has lost The Golden Millers vote anyways :pac: it would also be how suitable to the players around them, no point in having a fantastic finisher but no one to supply the balls to him so to speak

Yes, I would definitely give someone a vote if I felt they had built a team with players who complement each other over someone who had a less well balanced side.

But it's up to each poster to make their arguments whichever way they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I really think it will be the people voting that will actually decide on their own views really, basically whoever picked Ronaldo has lost The Golden Millers vote anyways :pac: it would also be how suitable to the players around them, no point in having a fantastic finisher but no one to supply the balls to him so to speak

cr7 at utd was a different type of player than the last few years , he typically ran the show for utd back then and influenced the whole game rather than just score goals which was tgm biggest complaint really

Id of had Suarez a top 5 pick so great value to get him so low down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm a little surprised to see the strikers flying off the shelves so early.

Some big names there of course, but in terms of building a team there are a lot of very good strikers in the PL era, whereas some of the other positions aren't as well stacked.

Each to their own of course.

@bucketybuck

source.gif

:pac:

You bloody Jinx :D

• Advertisement

You bloody Jinx :D

Yeah I know it's stalled again after a great morning :(

Advertisement