Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Draft Tournament - New Signups!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

All time English league draft
    Cole is a very good pick, one of the very few genuine world class players to play in the premier league

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Fabregas was pure class in his prime at Arsenal, thought he'd go much later though as he did spend quite a while at Chelsea where he was a shadow of that player and that might stick in the memory.

Well worthy of his high pick on those Arsenal days though, his attacking output for 09/10 season is pretty insane:

27 matches, 15 goals, 13 assists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Current Premier League Draft
    I was kind of hoping he would fall to me in the 3rd round tbh. Will have to revise, hopefully no one takes my plan b now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Morzadec wrote: »
    Fabregas was pure class in his prime at Arsenal, thought he'd go much later though as he did spend quite a while at Chelsea where he was a shadow of that player and that might stick in the memory.

Well worthy of his high pick on those Arsenal days though, his attacking output for 09/10 season is pretty insane:

27 matches, 15 goals, 13 assists
    Yeah I was thinking of him in his Arsenal prime really, he really stepped up after Viera left. He was fairly good in his first season at Chelsea as well in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I always knew astradave wasn't to be trusted haha :p. I don't think he'd have made it through to me anyway but sure the hope was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liam O wrote: »
    I always knew astradave wasn't to be trusted haha :p. I don't think he'd have made it through to me anyway but sure the hope was there.

:pac: I was surprised that no one had copped it on their second picks anyways and it was getting too close, I had him earmarked but also had a few other names that I wanted before him.

Hmm I thought that VVD might well fall down to me based on his overall lack of matches, disappointed to see him go.

Only 1 full season at a top team, but what a season it was. The most complete CB to ever play in the league imo in terms of ability, no part of the CB game that he is not exceptional at - can't be considered the greatest yet purely because of how long he's been playing and what others have achieved but wouldn't surprise me if he was considered so a few years down the line.

You can pair him with anyone on either side too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

All time European cup competitions draft
    Sincere apologies lads, I was away for the weekend, had no idea this was taking place. Hope I didn't hold ye up too long. Best of luck with it

Had earmarked Torres for this pick. Need time to evaluate. Dies help that am.half cut but will make a pick within the hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Had earmarked Torres for this pick. Need time to evaluate. Dies help that am.half cut but will make a pick within the hour

you should never drink and draft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Paul McShane is still available. It’ll seem like a great idea until you sober up. :pac:

martyos121 wrote: »
    Paul McShane is still available. It’ll seem like a great idea until you sober up. :pac:

Could partner him up with Shane duffy

After 2 picks there is already 3 teams ruled out imo

After 2 picks there is already 3 teams ruled out imo

That's quite a statement to make at this early stage - not saying you're wrong as I haven't looked through the teams but I'm curious if this opinion is based more so on the combination of players picked (i.e. good players that won't work well together) or the quality of the players (not good picks)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That's quite a statement to make at this early stage - not saying you're wrong as I haven't looked through the teams but I'm curious if this opinion is based more so on the combination of players picked (i.e. good players that won't work well together) or the quality of the players (not good picks)?

Or desire to sway people's opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Way too early to say. Still over 140 players to be picked, it's impossible to know how it will go.

Some of the teams at the top of the draw are starting to look very strong.

That said, those of us at the bottom still might have some genuine world class picks on pick 4 but by the time it gets round to the top of the draw they might have to start looking at some questionable players.

I'm looking forward to seeing the dross picks in the latter rounds!

jayo26 wrote: »
    Or desire to sway people's opinions.

How so?

Mostly the value of the picks had so far, some are good value others are bad value for where they are picked.

But let's not forget everyone is shocked their picks made it through to the.m

That was a difficult pick, there will be 23 picks before I get to go again so you really have to think what positions don't have many options and I felt once two or three holding midfielders go then there is a significant drop off. I think it will be hard to judge the value of the picks until the end, Alonso and Kante, for example, might not be the best value picks at this stage but there are not many players similar to them of the same quality

• Advertisement

Lads, Astradave here, just letting ye know I have changed my name, apologies if it causes any confusion

Damn, logged on to see basically everyone I had earmarked for my 3rd pick has been picked yesterday evening.

correction wrote: »
    Damn, logged on to see basically everyone I had earmarked for my 3rd pick has been picked yesterday evening.
    Yeah same, gonna get pretty tough after the next 2 rounds I think

I started to get extremely confident of Campbell falling to me when I saw Stam and Van Djik picked ahead of him but no. I'm down to my last option for round 3 and if he's picked before me I'm at panic stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

correction wrote: »
    I started to get extremely confident of Campbell falling to me when I saw Stam and Van Djik picked ahead of him but no. I'm down to my last option for round 3 and if he's picked before me I'm at panic stations.

No need for any panic. There's over 25 years worth of premier league players to choose from.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Can I suggest we shorten the time to pick to 12 hours with the hours of 12am to 8am not included . Should speed things up.
    I'd be up for doing this

What happens on the last round of picks? Those at the top of the draw will get a slight advantage as we end on an odd number.

Are we just saying that's the luck of the draw, or could we draft until 12 players each and then have some flexibility over which 11 we want to choose from based on the opposition we face which might even things out a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

What happens on the last round of picks? Those at the top of the draw will get a slight advantage as we end on an odd number.

Are we just saying that's the luck of the draw, or could we draft until 12 players each and then have some flexibility over which 11 we want to choose from based on the opposition we face which might even things out a bit?

A sub option might be very interesting alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sorry folks, wasn't expecting it to come back to me so quickly, PM sent to next on the list!

• Advertisement

Made my pick. quite happy with my first 3

Damn was really hoping for Makelele this round

Damn you KBurke! Really thought I was going to get Maka, couldn't believe Kante went before him (both are absolutely phenomenal of course, just thought Maka was that bit better).

Ha i like everyone was eyeing up Makelele but i might have waited til round 4. Not too surprised to see he didn't last though.

My shortlist for the next 2 pics is shortening. 1 in particular I hope stays around for me

Ha i like everyone was eyeing up Makelele but i might have waited til round 4. Not too surprised to see he didn't last though.

My shortlist for the next 2 pics is shortening. 1 in particular I hope stays around for me

I don't know why I'm even paying attention right now as I'm so far away that absolutely everyone I want will be gone haha.

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't know why I'm even paying attention right now as I'm so far away that absolutely everyone I want will be gone haha.

Important to pay attention. I'm waiting for when someone tries to a pick a player that's already been picked haha

• Advertisement

Only a matter of time KBurke!

What's that you say, Thierry Henry was already taken? Oh no...I meant....eh....Karl Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Another suggestion. When you move on you can take 1 player from your opponents team.

I didn't think Alonso would have been picked before my last one but I still had a heart attack moment when I posted last time :D

martyos121 wrote: »
    Damn you KBurke! Really thought I was going to get Maka, couldn't believe Kante went before him (both are absolutely phenomenal of course, just thought Maka was that bit better).

Very close between both of them but I think Kante is a little better which is why I went for him first, barely anything between them though and probably the two best defensive midfielders in the draft. Keane up there too obviously but he was more box to box. I think there is a pretty big drop off in quality to the next DM now.

Tony Adams a great pick at this stage, Incognito Man is going to have some defence. I'd say the 5 guys after him in the draft are raging, none of them have picked a defender yet so I'd say Adams was on a lot of their lists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Tony Adams a great pick at this stage, Incognito Man is going to have some defence. I'd say the 5 guys after him in the draft are raging, none of them have picked a defender yet so I'd say Adams was on a lot of their lists.

In truth I wanted Makelele this round so when that went out the window I was looking at Adams and thinking I can't let him slip by really.

I was looking at another DM but I just think Adams was the best player there to be picked.

Adams was the man I wanted, thought he was going to slip through :(

He's a player I don't remember a huge amount about (but I do distinctly remember watching that famous volley against Everton at the end of the 97-98 season), but after reading up about him he really is so well regarded by both Arsenal fans and others. He holds an odd record which I genuinely don't think we'll see broken in our lifetimes - the only player to captain a Premier League / First Division winning team in 3 different decades.

I agree he's an excellent pick at this point.

Adams is great value, could easily have been a first round pick

Anyone good with tables that could putt together all the picks after each round?

Anyone good with tables that could putt together all the picks after each round?

I’ll do one up on Google Sheets soon, that way I can keep it updated and share it here. Much handier than the table code here IMO.

Here’s your shiny new table:

484404.jpeg

Any mistakes, PM me. I’ll update it and share after each round when I have the time.

Good man yourself.. but I distinctly recall selecting Keane and Henry so please update accordingly..

Trigger wrote: »
    Good man yourself.. but I distinctly recall selecting Keane and Henry so please update accordingly..

Was that the Italian boy?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

I'm not involved but this thread and the picks thread are great reading. Fair play to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Owl. wrote: »
    I'm not involved but this thread and the picks thread are great reading. Fair play to all involved.

Yeah really enjoying it great craic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement