Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Draft Tournament - New Signups!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

All time European cup competitions draft
    Table after round 4:

484685.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Current Premier League Draft
    apolagies chaps,was away gigging all weekend,I'll catch up on my next turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is the first time where the wait is actually getting to me. every round I'm hoping certain players make it through.

and there goes one. Irwin is phenomenal value at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Finally. I'm not even in this draft and I was amazed to see Irwin dropping so far. This is a strange thread in that its hard to comment without saying the wrong thing or naming names, but Robertson and Neville ahead of Irwin? Thats mindboggling to me.

There are a few other genuine world class players that have been missed, I'm really surprised at some of the players picked ahead of them to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

All time English league draft
    SlickRic wrote: »
    this is the first time where the wait is actually getting to me. every round I'm hoping certain players make it through.

I'm the same, though at least your team looks great so far Haha

Lungburg is a great pick up too, he was on my list

Edit: ****.. Irwin gone (I had to put down my phone midway thru this post :pac:)

Finally. I'm not even in this draft and I was amazed to see Irwin dropping so far. This is a strange thread in that its hard to comment without saying the wrong thing or naming names, but Robertson and Neville ahead of Irwin? Thats mindboggling to me.

There are a few other genuine world class players that have been missed, I'm really surprised at some of the players picked ahead of them to be honest.

Irwin in round 5 is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Irwin in round 5 is baffling.

I considered him last round but there were still top level attackers remaining and I think it's easier to have a solid looking defence curated in the later rounds than pick up difference making attackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Yep Irwin is a great value pick at this stage. I struggled with the idea of picking him. I think if you pick him you have to play him left full

As a right footed left full I felt he wouldn't provide the width i was looking for in my team. The role of the full back has changed so much since Irwins day and they are a crucial cog in how a team attacks and creates chances now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeah everyone has an idea of how they want their team to be set up and play - certain players, while very good, might not suitably fit in there so can explain some of the rationale of the picks.

I'll definitely be putting a lot of stock into how teams are set up, how they plan to play etc...

Then there's also the panic of being left without a certain type of player (e.g. we saw a big run of centre-backs going around round 2/3 and then DMs in 3/4) so that's playing into people's decision making I think.

That said I agree that Irwin seems good value at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The role of a fullback has changed so much over the years, more so than others imo.

Fullbacks are more like wingers now than defenders.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    The role of a fullback has changed so much over the years, more so than others imo.

Fullbacks are more like wingers now than defenders.

high full backs playing as wingers needs a very specific set of skills and players in the team to work, especially against quality opposition.

Oh for feck sake :pac: wanted to pair overmars with Bergkamp..

I'll have to have a think who to go for next now, will pick later on tonight

love the Overmars pick.

as others have said, it's now that the teams get really interesting.

love the Overmars pick.

as others have said, it's now that the teams get really interesting.

I even had a picture selected and writeup ready :pac:

Trigger wrote: »
    Oh for feck sake :pac: wanted to pair overmars with Bergkamp..

I'll have to have a think who to go for next now, will pick later on tonight

Sorry, not sorry. :p

Happy to get him, but I was hoping (far too optimistically at this stage) for Sterling myself. Overmars is a better fit for the side I’m hoping to build anyway, even though I’d rate Sterling a bit higher.

There’s next to no chance of my other ideal winger making it through to me, so it was a tough choice.

Yea not at all surprised to see Overmars go. There seems to be little runs of picks where a good few on your shortlist seem to go consecutively!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Have to say this is hugely entertaining for the quiet time of the year!

Wouldn't have the dedication to be a part of it but enjoying all the picks and chat around it

If not for my Pires pick which made sense pairing with Henry I'd have gone for Overmars by now. Easy to forget how good he was.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    If not for my Pires pick which made sense pairing with Henry I'd have gone for Overmars by now. Easy to forget how good he was.

I remember his incredible pace very well, he was as pacy as anyone is today at a time when most defenders were very much in the old school mould of not exactly being very mobile so he used to leave defenders in his dust.

What I don't quite remember is him having such a truncheon of a right boot!

Damn, thought I might pick up Zabaleta in the next round. Top class right back, not surprised at all to see him go and it wouldn’t have been a bad pick in the last round or two either.

Fowler is a brilliant pick and great value for this round. He was the one I left out for Robertson/mane and it bloody hurt doing so.

Better than a good few of the strikers picked ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Dozyart wrote: »
    apolagies chaps,was away gigging all weekend,I'll catch up on my next turn

You are up after the next pick.

Just a heads up, if you miss this pick you will forfeit your place. Two missed picks in a row slows the game down too much, nothing personal just trying to keep people as interested as possible.

You have two picks to make with this next pick as well.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Fowler is a brilliant pick and great value for this round. He was the one I left out for Robertson/mane and it bloody hurt doing so.

Better than a good few of the strikers picked ahead

Had been watching a few strikers go after my last pick and was sure he wouldn't make it.

Was convinced Kenneth would take him just before me.

Zabaleta is top notch. I'd have struggled to ignore him.

As is De Gea. Him at round 5 is testament more to how much people don't value keepers in a Draft than how good he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

How will players that played out of their skin for half a season be viewed? Don't want to name names but will consistent players be viewed more favourably even if players had purple patches that surpassed even the consistent players best moments? Sorry if that's confusing

I'd be looking more at consistency over a season or more myself when voting, but others could view it differently...

Half a season over the full premier league history is very little. For me it will be a mixture of both peak form and how long they maintained that form will definitely play a part

Zabaleta is top notch. I'd have struggled to ignore him.

As is De Gea. Him at round 5 is testament more to how much people don't value keepers in a Draft than how good he is.

Yeh I think the difference between the number 1 keeper and the 14 keeper isn't very much compared to say the number 1 midfielder and the 28/42 midfielder

How will players that played out of their skin for half a season be viewed? Don't want to name names but will consistent players be viewed more favourably even if players had purple patches that surpassed even the consistent players best moments? Sorry if that's confusing

I would say you are talking about form. A striker hitting an unreal 2/3 month patch or something. So their "peak" would be in a season where they hit a patch but were inconsistent.

But if a poster lays out a good set up and that player makes sense for their system I would take that into consideration.

It's hard to say without going into specific players and I'd rather not talk about players not picked yet.

Basically until I see it on screen I can't really say which I would prefer and we'll all have a few inconsistent players in our teams as the quality goes down near the end anyway so it should make it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Yeh I think the difference between the number 1 keeper and the 14 keeper isn't very much compared to say the number 1 midfielder and the 28/42 midfielder

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah I know we are judging the players at their peak but longevity definitely has a big role to play too. I would be factoring both things when voting for a winning team anyway, the longer a player has performed at the top level the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Had been watching a few strikers go after my last pick and was sure he wouldn't make it.

Was convinced Kenneth would take him just before me.

Was a toss up between him and De Gea but I suppose my age and club loyalties swayed me! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was becoming increasingly triggered by no-one picking Fowler. I scrapped three posts cos I couldn't get them to sound less insaney. I even looked up his record to use to berate people. To be fair he had injury issues and his time at the top was curtailed in a team that wasn't very successful but for a time, if you were of the right age and persuasion, there was none better.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I was becoming increasingly triggered by no-one picking Fowler. I scrapped three posts cos I couldn't get them to sound less insaney. I even looked up his record to use to berate people. To be fair he had injury issues and his time at the top was curtailed in a team that wasn't very successful but for a time, if you were of the right age and persuasion, there was none better.

I had the choice between Wright and Fowler, to be honest I am slightly too young to have seen either of them when they were banging in goals so I was going off youtube clips, stats and trophies. I figured Wright has a better strike record, has won a PL, been in more teams of the year and generally seemed to have a much more consistent strike rate than Fowler. Maybe I made the wrong choice if you were to ask someone who can remember both playing, but probably not much between them.

please God let Doyzart be on again soon...

please God let Doyzart be on again soon...

Does he get two picks now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Does he get two picks now?

Unfortunately yes unless he doesn't turn up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If someone doesn't turn up they should get the pick forced upon them. Maybe Champions League winner Djimi Traore or someone of that ilk.

Can we get a standby lined up and ready to go? Who was next in line?

They'll have two picks so could be good to have them prepped and ready to go with their picks so we can get this moving again, seems likely Dozyart won't make it

• Advertisement

Morzadec wrote: »
    Can we get a standby lined up and ready to go? Who was next in line?

They'll have two picks so could be good to have them prepped and ready to go with their picks so we can get this moving again, seems likely Dozyart won't make it

He technically has until 9am tomorrow though, no? Is it 24 hours?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    If someone doesn't turn up they should get the pick forced upon them. Maybe Champions League winner Djimi Traore or someone of that ilk.

Stop spoiling my picks, I don’t want to lose him!

He technically has until 9am tomorrow though, no? Is it 24 hours?

Oh yeah good point, sorry I thought we were still waiting from yesterday evening!

Morzadec wrote: »
    Oh yeah good point, sorry I thought we were still waiting from yesterday evening!

No correction played this morning..

Lads i missed one pick,every other pick was within 12 hours.,should have made this a 1 day thing because the waiting is killing some of you....I cant guarantee ill be on within 5 mins of the last pick,if anyone else wants in then i'll happily stand aside

Are we stopping at 11 or is there going to be subs?

Dozyart wrote: »
    Lads i missed one pick,every other pick was within 12 hours.,should have made this a 1 day thing because the waiting is killing some of you....I cant guarantee ill be on within 5 mins of the last pick,if anyone else wants in then i'll happily stand aside

not at all.

i think we're just all a bit antsy!

VDS off my list now ya prick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think subs would be cool and maybe 24 hours where we could trade players if someone you missed out on and someone wants one of yours :) prob get too confusing haha.

VDS off my list now ya prick ;)

Taibi or Roy Carroll are still up for grabs :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

I don't think we should drag it out too much, maybe 1 sub each but definitely don't think a full bench is a good idea.

Advertisement