Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Draft Tournament - New Signups!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

All time English league draft
    Trigger wrote: »
    Plus he only had 2/3 good performances for France in the WC, which were toward the end so people seem to forget the stinkers before that

Thought he did well right throughout personally. In a role he did well in his first season at United. Shame really he decided he was better than defending, could have been special.

Bruce was who I was initially going to pick with the previous pick but decided Toure suited my style better. Would have liked to pair them up but very optimistic thinking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Fletcher is the first player picked that I hadn't considered.

Be interesting to see how many there are by the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Fletcher fits nicely in MNG's midfield.

A couple of better midfielders out there (strictly speaking), but few would've given him the balance necessary.

Not saying he a bad pick just hadn't thought of him at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Current Premier League Draft
    Wow I was fully expecting Son to be one I could pick up on the sly later on. Nice pick imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Wow I was fully expecting Son to be one I could pick up on the sly later on. Nice pick imo

Cheers, he was a hard one to judge what round he would go in. Nearly completely forgot about him too when I was making my initial list. I had someone else in mind but decided Son would be a better pick. Will be interesting to see what ones slip through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Cheers, he was a hard one to judge what round he would go in. Nearly completely forgot about him too when I was making my initial list. I had someone else in mind but decided Son would be a better pick. Will be interesting to see what ones slip through!

Was thinking about him myself, had him earmarked for this round. Great pick at this stage I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Gallas was a brilliant defender, thats a real bargain at this stage of a draft, I'd put his value a round or two higher. He was making Terry look good long before Carvalho got that job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

It was him or Bruce for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Trigger wrote: »
    The problem is that Pogba has never done it in the PL for a prolonged period of time

Neither has Sanchez, although this could be my Liverpool bias coming to the fore. I actually had Sanchez in my own FF team at the start of last season.
    There's a few really surprising omissions at this stage in my opinion.
    (just noticed Le Tissier was recently picked he'd have been one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Neither has Sanchez, although this could be my Liverpool bias coming to the fore. I actually had Sanchez in my own FF team at the start of last season.

Sanchez was brilliant for Arsenal for about 3 years? I dont think there are that many surprising players left out at this stage. Maybe 1 or 2..

Sanchez was brilliant for Arsenal for about 3 years? I dont think there are that many surprising players left out at this stage.

There is one that I am praying makes it make round to me :-)

There's a lot more very good attackers knocking around than I'd have thought when I was scrambling to get mine alright. Everyone should only pick wingers, AMs and strikers the next couple of rounds if you ask me :p

I'm no fan of Sanchez right now but he did have 3 very, very good seasons for Arsenal. Best player in the league level seasons.

And thats 3 more than Pogba has had.

Thinking on it, if Sanchez isn't considered to have done it in the PL then neither has Torres and quite a few others who went early in the draft.

• Advertisement

Sanchez was brilliant for Arsenal for about 3 years? I dont think there are that many surprising players left out at this stage. Maybe 1 or 2..

2 that I can think of, a real beast of a defender and also a genuinely top class midfielder still not picked.

2 that I can think of, a real beast of a defender and also a genuinely top class midfielder still not picked.

and two centre forwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Am flabbergasted at a defender that hasn't been taken yet. In my opinion some worse have gone before him. I keep my hands clasped in hope he falls to me.

Quite a few attackers, yes. As a random thought, I can think of 3 players nominated for the Ballon d'or that are still not picked!

Now that you say it I can think of 4

But also shows that although peak form is the main element that many are also considering longevity.

Also that the best available player my not be the best suited to people's team/formation. I think of someone just picked the 'highest ranked' player each round they would stand a chance in the draft matches

ok that's my bad I actually didn't think Sanchez was at Arsenal that long or that good other than one really good year. That's not knocking him I genuinely didn't know.

• Advertisement

ok that's my bad I actually didn't think Sanchez was at Arsenal that long or that good other than one really good year. That's not knocking him I genuinely didn't know.

Really? He would have been close to PL player of the year every full season he was at at Arsenal. Scoring plenty and a real force. It's a bit bizarre you'd not know that tbh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

From the outside the standard of drafting has come across as very good. Really like the Gallas pick, was brilliant in his Chelsea years.

Only picks I haven't liked so far are Fletcher and Pogba. Hamann probably went a bit early as well but he was a very good player. Had Fletcher down as a last round pick if anything. Pogba has done nothing in the premier league, I think he has been picked on the basis of how good he could be rather than how good he has been which doesn't fit the draft .

Few nice teams coming together, good thread to follow for us not involved

Thought McAllister would slip through. Nice pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

SlickRic wrote: »
    Thought McAllister would slip through. Nice pick.

Read an interesting anecdote about McAllister recently. In an interview after France 98, Platini said the current three best number 10s in the world are Rui Costa, Zidane and McAllister.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Saying Sanchez never cut it consistently in the Premier League is probably the maddest thing I've read on this thread. Unless you mean purely by trophies? Even then he's won 2 FA Cups, not the worst.

He scored 24 in one season (with 10 assists)! 34 goals contributions in one season, there's not many with those types of numbers. And 16 and 13 goals in the two years before so not a flash in the pan season. That's more than enough to constitute a consistent peak imo and his numbers from his best season are better than anything Sterling and Mane have ever done who went much earlier.

Sanchez was a great pick at that stage imo, I strongly considered him but felt I had to strengthen other areas.

I had 3 players in mind that I thought should have went ages ago, Gallas was one and McAllister another.

With respect to some earlier picks McAllister beats them in pretty much every metric I can think of, his achievements, his performances, his reputation, he was just a fantastic player.

Liam O wrote: »
    Really? He would have been close to PL player of the year every full season he was at at Arsenal. Scoring plenty and a real force. It's a bit bizarre you'd not know that tbh :D

Honestly my recollection of Sanchez at Arsenal was one outstanding season and an FA cup game where he scored and no-one celebrated with him. I haven't suggested I'm some kind of remembering genius though :)

if i'd thought of Sanchez, i'd have probably found it hard to resist him a round or 2 ago.

but then again, the system you put him in does change his effectiveness. some of his best times came as a false 9, for instance, not necessarily out on the left, especially when forced to come deep for the ball.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Saying Sanchez never cut it consistently in the Premier League is probably the maddest thing I've read on this thread. Unless you mean purely by trophies? Even then he's won 2 FA Cups, not the worst.

He scored 24 in one season (with 10 assists)! 34 goals contributions in one season, there's not many with those types of numbers. And 16 and 13 goals in the two years before so not a flash in the pan season. That's more than enough to constitute a consistent peak imo and his numbers from his best season are better than anything Sterling and Mane have ever done who went much earlier.

Sanchez was a great pick at that stage imo, I strongly considered him but felt I had to strengthen other areas.

That 'peak' season came when the was playing mostly at centre forward though. He has never produced those numbers from the wing and only has a short sample size at centre forward.

Still a very good pick though but the danger is people remember the huge drop off in form she the team isn't built around him

redzerdrog wrote: »
    That 'peak' season came when the was playing mostly at centre forward though. He has never produced those numbers from the wing and only has a short sample size at centre forward.

Still a very good pick though but the danger is people remember the huge drop off in form she the team isn't built around him
    In fairness, though it shouldn't count towards his judgement in this, his time at Barca he was a 1 in 2 player from the right wing so he's shown he gets goals and produces wherever he plays. That is, until he moved to United :(

I probably shouldn't be defending other player's picks people are tearing to shreds, could come back to bite me :D

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    In fairness, though it shouldn't count towards his judgement in this, his time at Barca he was a 1 in 2 player from the right wing so he's shown he gets goals and produces wherever he plays. That is, until he moved to United :(

I probably shouldn't be defending other player's picks people are tearing to shreds, could come back to bite me :D

Thanks for this as the right wing is exactly where I'll be playing him. :D

And please don't stop hyping Sanchez on my account. Go right ahead. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

All time European cup competitions draft
    Was very conflicted about that pick and was thinking of a clever option for that role in round 10 or 11, but I think Fabinho has shown just about enough in a short period of time to warrant a selection.

I've already accepted that some won't like it due to only having a little over half a season of PL experience, but the tradeoff was worth it to me.

Still felt the need to justify it in here though. :o

Although we are judging on peak form it also has to be considered how likely the player is to produce that peak form.

Apologies I don't want to be talking about other people's pick but these 3 players are prob best to use an examples Bale, Giggs and Sanchez. I do y have stats on hand so just going from memory but I would consider the following.

For me Bale is ranked highest. His peak ability is the highest of the 3 (Sanchez May actually have a better peak se asson numbers wise)

Giggs is next best as although his peak numbers might not be as good as the others you are guaranteed a certain level of performance over a considerable period

Sanchez is the last of the 3 - he has the best peak numbers in a team built around him so for me he is less likely to produce than the other two

This still doesn't mean that Sanchez is a bad pick I actually think he is a good pick for were he was gotten in the draft but it's not as sample as saying he got 24 goal and 10 assists I his best season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

martyos121 wrote: »
    Was very conflicted about that pick and was thinking of a clever option for that role in round 10 or 11, but I think Fabinho has shown just about enough in a short period of time to warrant a selection.

I've already accepted that some won't like it due to only having a little over half a season of PL experience, but the tradeoff was worth it to me.

Still felt the need to justify it in here though. :o
    I dunno, thought he was good last year especially after Xmas but think its risky move compared to some alternates left out there this early. Just doesn't have the longevity for me to even have considered him

Just my opinion though :)

flying through them now.

Cahill was one that I just didn't trust, but is solid with the right partner.
    Dennis Wise just didn't suit me, but again, solid pick.

so much of this is going to come down to balance and the write ups.

flying through them now.

Cahill was one that I just didn't trust, but is solid with the right partner.
    Dennis Wise just didn't suit me, but again, solid pick.

so much of this is going to come down to balance and the write ups.

Yeah it's interesting this round - there's a lot of players being picked who are the position / style of player that I want but who weren't necessarily on my radar / shortlist. There's been a few recently that I haven't been sorry to see go, not to say they were bad picks, just not players I wanted.

Does seem to be coming down a bit more to opinion at this stage.

I dunno, thought he was good last year especially after Xmas but think its risky move compared to some alternates left out there this early. Just doesn't have the longevity for me to even have considered him

Just my opinion though :)

I did consider him too, I think he's undoubtedly a top DM. You'll get many that will know him from his Monaco days and see the Liverpool form as an extension of that and judge him as a top DM. You'll probably get some too though that will acknowledge that he's had a good start but hasn't played enough games to be judged as top class yet however.

Yeah it's interesting this round - there's a lot of players being picked who are the position / style of player that I want but who weren't necessarily on my radar / shortlist. There's been a few recently that I haven't been sorry to see go, not to say they were bad picks, just not players I wanted.

it'll also be interesting to see how people view longevity versus talent.

how will people view Fabinho for instance?

I'm guessing it will be a random draw to decide the matchups when all the picks have been made? Will there be brackets or will it be a draw every round? I've never been involved in one of these before.

• Advertisement

Michael Ricketts once scored 13 goals in half a premier league season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Yeah it's interesting this round - there's a lot of players being picked who are the position / style of player that I want but who weren't necessarily on my radar / shortlist.  There's been a few recently that I haven't been sorry to see go, not to say they were bad picks, just not players I wanted.

it'll also be interesting to see how people view longevity versus talent.

how will people view Fabinho for instance?
    I think its both but a good half season is just too short for me. Especially if we're judging on just EPL performances

i was wondering if Ozil would go.

correction wrote: »
    I'm guessing it will be a random draw to decide the matchups when all the picks have been made? Will there be brackets or will it be a draw every round? I've never been involved in one of these before.

Can do either. We'll try to get someone who isn't in the draft to draw the teams so there isn't any issues with cheating or anything.

Brackets would be nice.

I'd also be in favour of the pick one player from a team if you beat them. Would make all match-ups very interesting for all watching.

This round or in the entire draft?

At this stage I was just thinking who's a better 10 than him.

Obviously you need quality in front and behind him because he isn't a guy who'll win a game on his own. But in the correct set up he's some player.

• Advertisement

This round or in the entire draft?

Entire draft.

I was wondering if people could look past the perception of him being lazy.

Can do either. We'll try to get someone who isn't in the draft to draw the teams so there isn't any issues with cheating or anything.

Brackets would be nice.

I'd also be in favour of the pick one player from a team if you beat them. Would make all match-ups very interesting for all watching.

Obviously your choice as the man running this, but my own opinion is that I wouldn't like this at all.

We've spent quite a lot of time drafting this XI to play together. By the time of the final the two teams in it will have 3 world class players to replace 3 of their more questionable picks. Someone who has a serious deficiency in their team might suddenly see it solved and that makes it less interesting and less about the original drafting we did which I'm not mad on.

I think these latter rounds of picks are interesting and having to pick players that are less obviously world class or who divide opinion makes it more interesting - this could be negated by the "stealing" from other teams.

Just my opinion, I would prefer the purity of trying to bring your original drafted team through to the end!

Entire draft.

If team is set up to get best out of him he will be a quality pick imo

Brackets would be nice.

Open draw and no picking player from beaten teams would be my vote. Picking a player from a beating team just puts too much on the luck of the draw imo

Also the danger of brackets is it brings in a possibility of tactical voting or arguing against a team you are facing the next round ect. Open draw for every round gets my vote

Entire draft.

Ya true, the man is/was a genius though

• Advertisement
Advertisement