Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this rent increase sound ok.

Options
  • 25-06-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

A lad I work with moved into rented accommodation in a house in Sept 2016. The rent did not go up till Sept 2018 when the landlord upped it 4 %

So the landlord is upping it again this Sept 2019 , this time 2% . Is this the max or something?

Just wondering is that in line with guidelines these days . I haven’t rented in over 15 years and have no idea how these work. Maybe some one in the know could enlighten me.

The rent is very reasonable so my work buddy doesn’t want to rock the boat.

Thanks
    Barr:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

A lad I work with moved into rented accommodation in a house in Sept 2016. The rent did not go up till Sept 2018 when the landlord upped it 4 %

So the landlord is upping it again this Sept 2019 , this time 2% . Is this the max or something?

Just wondering is that in line with guidelines these days . I haven’t rented in over 15 years and have no idea how these work. Maybe some one in the know could enlighten me.

The rent is very reasonable so my work buddy doesn’t want to rock the boat.

Thanks
    Barr:)

Sept 18 would be correct if it was in rent pressure zone the landlord would have had to wait 24 months since previous increase but limit it to 4%.

As first increase since rpz designation has happened they can now increase it every 12 months. However it is limited to 4% pa. The landlord has either decided to only increase by 2% or to their detriment doesn’t know the law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The landlord was fully entitled to increase the rent by 4% in September 2019- or by a lower amount- but has to justify the rent with other local examples.
    If the landlord elects to only increase the rent by 2%- happy days for your friend- the landlord was fully entitled to increase it by 4%.
    I'd not be inclined to say anything- just be thankful it wasn't increased by the full 4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Its likely the comparative evidence only supports a 2% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Its likely the comparative evidence only supports a 2% increase.

tbh it is more likely that the landlord doesn't properly understand the law imo. She was limited to 2% per annum in the previous increase and probably believes that she is limited to 2% again for this one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Fian wrote: »
    tbh it is more likely that the landlord doesn't properly understand the law imo. She was limited to 2% per annum in the previous increase and probably believes that she is limited to 2% again for this one.

+1 esp. as the OP says the rent is extremely reasonable and his mate doesn't want to 'rock the boat'.........

The landlord is confused. Its in the OP and his mate's interests not to educate him/her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

+1 esp. as the OP says the rent is extremely reasonable and his mate doesn't want to 'rock the boat'.........

The landlord is confused. Its in the OP and his mate's interests not to educate him/her.

Well, if the landlord isnt aware of the RTB calculator, I guess it could be that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Well, if the landlord isnt aware of the RTB calculator, I guess it could be that

Had a look at it there , think you are right. Best advise for him is to keep his head down and just pay the 2 %. The landlord must be misreading it somehow.

Advertisement