Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first Marathon and first log log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Another week started,

Monday-5km at 5.00min/km to shake out the weekend(Reebok daily trainer)

Today I wore the Vaporfly Next % 2 for my usual interval session, will probably up the intervals from next week. Dreading that

2km at 5.25/km warmup then 4 x 1km intervals at 4.00min/km with 60 second in between followed by a 2km warm down at 5.15/km.

An lovely 9km at 5.20 min/km yesterday. Bit hilly but mild and bright.

Taking it easy tonight, might try a bar of chocolate for desert

Another PB in the parkrun this morning, 19.29 and 1st in my age category, top 10 finish. Very happy with that.

The course was a bit wet, nearly went on my arse in the forest going around a corner but apart from that it was perfect conditions. 14C. Really enjoying this parkrun, lots of fantastic friendly people about really gives the spirits a lift. And its free <<<<

Be good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the PB😊

A weekend of PBs I reckon, hope the wind is in your sails tomorrow. 🤙

• Advertisement

Sunday 10th Oct, this year is flying by

25 km at 4.50 min/km, didn't plan on this pace, actually decided a 5.30 min/km pace would be sensible with intervals and hills planned midweek but again I lost the run of myself. Happy I'm not training for anything serious cause my discipline is brutal lately.

Thats said it was a lovely run in in the sun,

Over and out

Nothing much different this week, keep on trucking

Monday I did a 6.5km recovery at 5.20min/km.

Yesterday 1km intervals at tempo, tough. 2km at 5.30min/km warmup then 5 x 1km at 3.55 to 4.00/km with 60 second slow jog in between. Then 2km home warm down at 5.20/km.

Today I did a hilly fast session with 9km at 4.45min/km. Felt good and had an extra few chips with the salmon to thank myself :-)

Not sure where I'm going with training but I registered for the 5km night run in Sandyford the 26th. I think I will decide what to do after that. I'm really thinking a 10km training plan to bring me to the turkey then a long one in the spring

Be good

Another fantastic Parkrun today, was up late so shuffled up to the Rivervalley instead of Malahide as its closer for the 9.30 start. Beautiful morning. I've only done it once before two years ago but I do run through the park once a week.

Ran of with the lead group who seemed to be running about my pace, its a steep downhill through leafy tree lined path so a bit nervous about slipping, was bolloxed by the time I hit the bottom and turn to the 1km flat section along the river.

The four I went out with stayed together along the river as far as the hill. Didn't even look around going up the hill, torture. There was one guy just ahead at the top of the hill so I decided to to take my turn out front. Out around past the finish for the second lap I was in joint 1st: what the F! Nice feeling but it didn't last, the dude who had kept up had a lot more in the tank, passed me and stretched the lead along the upper and second time hill down bit. I tried to keep it close but no chance, The uphill was terrible the second time out. I didn't realise it but there wasn't anyone behind me so I just kept pushing till the end

2nd place in 19.58.

This made my day.

Thought I was great for a minute. I had a quick chat with the guy who finished 1st who mentioned he had done the Manchester marathon last week, Fair play to him, he didn't look tired to me :-). Anyway last time I did this parkrun in 2019 I finished in 26 minutes so I am very happy with my progress. make hay and all. Never now what's around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

For most of us, a sub-20 on a course like River Valley is something to celebrate. Well done.

Well done😊

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys, I was delighted with myself yesterday. I felt yesterdays hills in my gluts during this morning run.

This morning I took a lovely run across along the coast to Portmarnock. 20km at 5.25min/km.

Been trying different pre run breakfast bites lately. This morning it was avocado with crackers- not great. I think I will go back to cracker and strawberry jam; never the slightest bit of discomfort after this.

I must have had some residual stoke left over from the parkrun at the weekend, ran a PB 10km last night! I hadn't intended on anything but a normal 10km run but felt prettu good after the first mile and kept up the pressure till the end. Great conditions and in good form certainly helped. If I'm being honest I persuaded myself halfway through the run that if I did a good time I would forgo the dreaded Tuesday intervals this week. Tricked myself into running a TT.

Monday 10km in 43.30 < Thats 4.22min/km, wooop no intervals tonight :-)

Also had a lovely 5km at 4.55min/km tonight.

The rest of the week is a bit hit and miss with studying and family bits and pieces, how to lead up to the night run next Tuesday night for my crack at the 5km mmm

The dark evenings are upon us

be cool

got a sneaky 9km in this evening but ruined it all with a 4 in 1 from the chinese afterward.

Anyhoo,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

If you're running sub-20 at Rivervalley parkrun, a sub-40 at an actual race should be well within your capability. Don't get too distracted with training PBs!

I would love that. After the 5km night run next week I might try a proper 10 plan.

I read your log, loved it. One if the best logs on here and that's saying a lot. Your 2.55 marathon was fantastic. The swords roads project looked fun. Might see you someday at a parkrun.

Thanks for the advise, really appreciate d

Another Saturday, another parkrun. Went to the Donabate (Newbridge house) parkrun this morning. First time

20.02 and 4th place, that'll do. The route is lovely, hairpin turns with long switchbacks were you get to see more people. The start is on grass, soft and pleasant to run on with a slightly undulating surface but not a bother really. After this first 1 or 2 hundred meters its all path. Some long lovely sections which I really enjoyed. One of the turns caught me out early, nearly went into the bushes. Will certainly visit again, might bring the not so little one and better half next time as the start/finish is close to the coffee shop :-)

Have a bit of study to do the rest of today but I need to figure out what the best approach to the Nightrun 5km in Sandyford on Tuesday. I usually do a long ish run of a Sunday and recovery Monday. This is probably not the best approach. I reckon a 10km 5.00 min/km with some strides in the morning and maybe an easy 3-5km Monday morning. Then go all out Tuesday night. Anyway, enough rambling. Head in the books for the rest of the day.

Be good

Did a little fartlek session today,

couple of km at easy pace, 1.2m at 3.50 km/min, then a 4km easy recovery, then another 1.2km at 3.45 mn/km pace, another 2km easy then 6 x 60meter strides to top it off.

11km total, really enjoyed this messing about.

On a side note for anyone taking a break from the soup; went to a family thing last night and so not to look out of place I had a couple pints of the 0.0 Guinness. You really couldn't tell the difference between it and the real thing. As the famous philosopher Jules Winnfield one said, "that hit the spot" a tasty beverage.

Take care guys

I wouldn't agree that you can't tell the difference, but the unleaded Guinness is pretty good alright. They got the texture right, which is important.

Nice parkrun. Would you say you were racing it all out or holding back a bit?

And what's easy pace for you these days?

Thanks, I reckon that's all I had in the tank, I wasn't feeling it really. A couple of things didn't go right for me but in the scheme of things they shouldn't have mattered.

The start was slow, not making excuses but being my first time I was sitting on the shoulder of the lead guys for the first 3 or 4 hundred meters across the grass trying to get my bearings. At the Malahide parkrun I normally do 3.50 first km which sets me up for the sub 20 with the middle three floating around 4 and the last km a bit faster when I'm chasing or being chased.

After the start when we got into the long straight after the bendy forest bit the three ahead were gone, fantastic athletes. I was able to see them on the switchbacks, not a bother on them. I was in bits :-) Secondly I was on my own for the last three km and had no hope of catching the guys so this might have effected me as well because I'm a stubborn fecker but I need motivation.

Today my easy pace was 5.20-5.30. Also depends on my trainers. I do a lot of running in a cheap pair of Reeboks but If I wear the Endorphin speed or god forbid the vaporfly on a midweek run 4.40 to 5.00 feels easy.

The Sandyford 5km Nightrun will be interesting. Weather permitting(looks windy) I should be able to do a sub 20, 19.30 is my A.

Sorry for waffling,

This week is flying by, I feel like I've nothing done. Monday I closed out last weeks block with an easy 5k at 5.00min/km

Tuesday I did the Sandymount NightRun as planned, 19.56 race time 19.46 chip time.

Relaxed all day yesterday with an easy rainsoaked 90 minute jog @ 5.00min/km this morning. As I haven't 100% figured out my next plan yet I will probably just do some middle - long runs the next few days and chew on potential options, 10km or just jump to the HM with a spring Marathon mmmmm.

Anyway, have to hit the books for an hour, later :-)

• Advertisement

Nice 5k, well done.

What would you hope for with a marathon? I think the big challenge now is getting your M time down to what your 5k suggests - so something around 3:20 or below. That's going to require plenty of application, and might not happen right away if you haven't been working on the stuff that builds marathon adaptation.

Thanks Murph, I've been thinking about the upper level of my ambition and 3.15 to 3.20 is exactly my top top target. I have however locked myself into a winter of study which will impact the hours I can give it. That said I think with about 30 hours targeted training per month from Jan to April I can hit the magic 3.30(4.55/km) in late spring. I finish my course soon after then all things being equal look at a training block for the 4.40-4.45/km bracket in early autumn. Extraordinarily ambitious to be dreaming of this on a wet October evening I know. :-)

This is were I have to be smart, what plan

The mentored plan for the 2019 DCM greenhorns is the only plan I ever followed from start to finish. I usually make the rest up, like my recent stink at 5km. I also used the 2019 DCM plan successfully in 2020 for the Dublin virtual to finish in 3.57, two minutes faster than 2019 and the summer just gone I adapted it to complete a solo 51km which included a 3.48- 42 km while completing 50km in 4.37. For the 50km I basically did the 2019 mentored plan with a Saturday long run repeated on Sunday and recover Monday. It kept my mind occupied during the great madness.

May I ask what plan or plans you think is/are the most successful for this level?

Well done on the 5k😊

Out for a fast 11 mile this morning, 7.30 per mile pace. Tough session but not a bit guilty eating half a packet of biscuits with my afternoon tea. This is one of my favourite positives with running.

1.14- 10 miler in that session so another PB into the mix. Intended on going out for another 90 minute run but my head had other idea's. The weather helped, a fine day for running.

Registered for the Manchester Marathon in April on a whim earlier, bought a bottle of prosecco and some Aperol for the misses, will wait till the second spritz to tell her :-)

And were off

I don't want to come across as negative but what was the purpose of this 11 miler at faster than marathon pace?

Your marathon times (albeit during virtual and 50k events) suggest you are stalling somewhat at that distance and not improving the way most runners do over the first few attempts. This would be most likely down to not doing enough base and marathon specific training. Runs like today's may give you satisfaction on the day but they won't help you improve at the longer distances.

No worries, the fact you replied and provided feedback is very generous and I really appreciate it.

I'm not running to plan yet so the 11 miler was more for personal pleasure. I like to tackle low hanging fruit once in a while. Beating my previous best 10 mile time was just the ticket.

Your right about the lack of improvement in my virtual. I went through the motions, put in the miles but with little or no real effort. It was more a pill to get me through the pandemic than a race. The 50km was the same.

I reckon I still have a couple of weeks to set a concrete plan for the marathon 👍 I will probably start out training for 4.50/km to 4.55 pace and see how I feel in January

Fair enough on the ‘low hanging fruit’ I suppose. Beating training PBs is a bad habit though to get into. Save race effort for real race days - you’ll find you get more out of yourself that way.

At least the 10m time gives you a more realistic time on which to base marathon effort for now. Best of luck with it.

And we're off

Plan decided for Manchester: I went for a BAA training plan, 20 week, level 3. pacing for between 3.15 and 3.30 finish time. No point in dilly dallying :-)

Positive about- plan chosen

Apprehensive about- Winter training

The plan started this week with a little three week shimmy (Prep) into the training proper then there's a six week building phase followed by the gravy; a nine week marathon specific block with two week taper stitched onto the end.

Looks great on paper.

On a more realist note I have never put in a serious training block during the winter months with dark cold mornings and evenings, weather limitations, potential illness, the dreaded Christmas splurge and general malaise that comes a few weeks into training.

I will probably keep a diary proper on google docs to record metrics like weather, diet, training feel, wellbeing etc. If I make it through the next twenty weeks it might be interesting.

This week, Monday 4 miles at 8.35 min per mile(easy)

Tuesday, working and studying, no exercise

Wednesday, 8 miles at 7.55 min per mile(aerobic)

Today, rest day, studying, working

baby steps

Logging in miles now, more a psychological thing when I start running longer

Friday 5th

Easy 5.8 at 8.35/mi

Saturday 6th

Easy 5.2 at 8.33/mi

Today 7th Nov

11.9 at 8.15/mi

Week 1 of 20 complete :-)

Have a great week folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I've been watching this log for a while, some great improvements going on. I have to say there is a lack of genuinely easy days in there...keep an eye on that.

Advertisement