Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router for rural area - Cavan

Options
  • 25-06-2019 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a sim for Northern Ireland network and want to see if it'll work near Cavan town (approx 22miles from NI transmitter), here for a month and mobile dongle isn't powerful enough. I'm not paying out for an RoI SIM as won't be here that long.
    Any suggestions on a more permanent and powerful type? Don't mind price as will bring it home again anyway
    And yes I know roaming - Which router please, that's my question no deviation thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'd say it's more to do with the antenna than the router. Though the router would need to be capable of a lot of power to push a signal 22 miles and that's before you consider the receiver end.

Then you will need a mast and a highly focused antenna and a site to mount all that. Then hope there are no mountains/structures in the way !

Cheaper to buy a Three SIM.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

None. You aren't going to be receiving a Northern Ireland signal from Cavan town with any router or antenna.

Pay €20 for a Three SIM in the Carphone Warehouse on Church Street or the Three shop on Main Street. Cheaper than any router and as a bonus it'll actually work. Just make sure to let on it's for a phone and you'll have unlimited data for a month.

Or if you're living in the town itself, call into Smyths Cablevision on Main Street. The Cable Broadband in Cavan has no contract, and as it's a small family business they may be able to help you out with a deal for a temporary connection if the house is already cabled.

Advertisement