Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Saorview/Free sat

• 26-06-2019 7:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment Ive just got one tv in the living room with a Sky sub due to expire in Sept. I want to put 2 more in bedrooms and have them rigged to receive Saorview and UK FTA channels. According to saorview.ie my nearest transmitter is Kippure which is 16km away. Im wondering is this considered close enough to go with an aeriel in the attic or am I better to go on the chimney?

Also unsure if I need a combi box with each tv. I dont need to pause/record on these tvs. My preference is not to have a combi box (due to space) and for the tvs to have built in Saorview/Freesat tuners. If going this route will still I be able to get a single EPG for both? And is pause/record the only feature Im missing out on by not having combi boxes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That close to Kippure I would definitely try the aerial in the attic first.

Toshiba and Walker have a combined Saorview and satellite channel list but only now and next programme info for the satellite channels. The satellite part is FTA and not Freesat. Once setup for the satellite channels, the list can be transferred over to the other TV via a USB drive. The smart models have Netflix, you tube, etc.

I don't believe there are any combi TVs with combined Saorview and Freesat channel lists.

Have a look at the models available over on Powercity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

Muahahaha wrote:
    Also unsure if I need a combi box with each tv. I dont need to pause/record on these tvs. My preference is not to have a combi box (due to space) and for the tvs to have built in Saorview/Freesat tuners. If going this route will still I be able to get a single EPG for both? And is pause/record the only feature Im missing out on by not having combi boxes?

A friend living in Celbridge has a loft fitted aerial and reception is fine from Three Rock (20 + kms). I bought the 24inch Walker recently, Saorview and satellite on one list but separate egp's, Netflix, YouTube and record, grand for a second TV ( bedroom, kitchen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

decor58 wrote: »
    A friend living in Celbridge has a loft fitted aerial and reception is fine from Three Rock (20 + kms). I bought the 24inch Walker recently, Saorview and satellite on one list but separate egp's, Netflix, YouTube and record, grand for a second TV ( bedroom, kitchen).

Could you link me to that Walker model as it sounds exactly what I need. Also how does it record, is there an internal hard drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Could you link me to that Walker model as it sounds exactly what I need. Also how does it record, is there an internal hard drive?

As I referred above go to the Powercity website.
    These TVs require an external hard drive.

Muahahaha wrote:

Model number 24WPS19P, I have connected a HDD, 170e in Powercity. Download the app and you can renumber the channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks again lads, much appreciated=)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dubbydub

Hi guys, I was looking through the thread and I have a similarish query.

I have an existing sky+ subscription which runs two cables from the lnb into the house (live signal, record signal). I am cancelling the sky subscription and using the sky dish for the UK channels and an external aerial for the saorview channels.

As far as I know there are only two receivers on the connect box, but I have three cables (2 for satellite and 1 for aerial). With saorview connect, will I need two cables to view and record?

Any views on the best approach re cables/ splitters/ combiners would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

You only need 1 cable for Saorview recording

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

dubbydub wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was looking through the thread and I have a similarish query.

I have an existing sky+ subscription which runs two cables from the lnb into the house (live signal, record signal). I am cancelling the sky subscription and using the sky dish for the UK channels and an external aerial for the saorview channels.

As far as I know there are only two receivers on the connect box, but I have three cables (2 for satellite and 1 for aerial). With saorview connect, will I need two cables to view and record?

Any views on the best approach re cables/ splitters/ combiners would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

So the two existing sky cables, you can use those. One for your sat channels and one (unscrew from your dish, connect to antenna) for saorview. Set mine up in the last week. Working perfectly. Just haven't connected a hard drive yet

dubbydub wrote:

There are 3 connections on the Saorview connect box, 1 for Saorview, 2 for sat, this allows you record and view a separate channel at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 dubbydub

Thanks lads for the assistance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

decor58 wrote: »
    There are 3 connections on the Saorview connect box, 1 for Saorview, 2 for sat, this allows you record and view a separate channel at the same time.

Has the second SAT in been utilised yet? From the original manual it states it isn't used yet. Wonder with the recording features being enabled has it now been used.
    I have one of these units sitting in the corner after getting one thinking I would give it to my parents to replace a failing Saorview combi unit but found the Connect box too 'chunky' in terms of operation to be something I would give to my parents to use.

Advertisement