Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder query

Options
  • 26-06-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all I started a childminding position this week I had my first day the second and 3d day the child was sick so the mom decided to stay home with the child but do I get paid for this as I'm only there a few days there is no contract in place and I don't rember discussing sick pay etc and I don't want to ask her when the child is I'll it makes me look horrible but do childminders get paid if child sick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Jane7939 wrote: »
    Hi all I started a childminding position this week I had my first day the second and 3d day the child was sick so the mom decided to stay home with the child but do I get paid for this as I'm only there a few days there is no contract in place and I don't rember discussing sick pay etc and I don't want to ask her when the child is I'll it makes me look horrible but do childminders get paid if child sick?

It really depends on your agreement, it would be up to you to put something in place and outline your expectations. Do ye have an arrangement around holidays?
    I would usually pay my minder if I’m at home unexpectedly, but I know there’s plenty who wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jane7939

jlm29 wrote: »
    It really depends on your agreement, it would be up to you to put something in place and outline your expectations. Do ye have an arrangement around holidays?
    I would usually pay my minder if I’m at home unexpectedly, but I know there’s plenty who wouldn’t.

I suppose it's such early days that the contract was not arranged yet I just can't remember if we spoke of this

I suppose it's such early days that the contract was not arranged yet I just can't remember if we spoke of this

She still gets paid her wages she just will work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Normal rule from my experience, is that if you were available , then you get paid. That's how we worked with our childminder, if she was ill/holidays/appointment etc then no pay, and if we kept the kids off for any reason then she got paid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Have a conversation about it now. When we started with our childminder she sat me down and set out her terms clearly. It was as simple as, any time I'm available but the kids aren't, for whatever reason, I get paid. There were other agreements re holidays etc, but that was the main crux.

• Advertisement

Have a conversation about it now. When we started with our childminder she sat me down and set out her terms clearly. It was as simple as, any time I'm available but the kids aren't, for whatever reason, I get paid. There were other agreements re holidays etc, but that was the main crux.

Ok I will type out my terms today so it stops any anamosity arising thank u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I found a contract outline before when I was hiring a childminder that was very useful, it was a free one on an Irish website but can’t remember now, I’m sure you could find one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I found a contract outline before when I was hiring a childminder that was very useful, it was a free one on an Irish website but can’t remember now, I’m sure you could find one too.

http://www.mccc.ie/docs/Childminding%20infopack.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ok I will type out my terms today so it stops any anamosity arising thank u

Yes, sort out terms. You have left yourself free as arranged to mind the child, potentially turning down other work. You should get paid if they cancel at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Do defo get it sorted out before.. Just speaking from experience and it just kinda lingers and you end up thinking badly then of them. So best have all the terms and conditions laid out beforehand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭KaneToad

You need to speak about all these things so there are no misunderstandings.

Most I know, who use home based childminders, pay them if they are scheduled to mind child. If the child is unexpectedly sick - childminder still gets paid as they have already planned their day (possibly turned down other opportunity to earn money on that day).

If childminder is given adequate notice that the child will not need minding then no payment is forthcoming. The key is to agree what the adequate notice would be.

Advertisement