Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry tree saplings

Options
  • 26-06-2019 11:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I bought two cherry tree saplings, one needed to pollinate the other and itself can bear fruit without polination according to the reading I did on it.
    Stella and hedelfinger.

Thing is, one of them seems like it’s frozen? The Stella is flying along and growing at a comfortable rate but the HF seems stuck with baby leaves that won’t open and hasn’t grown up at all.
    It’s still only under 4ft. The other up around 5.
    Am I doing something wrong? They’re planted about 20ft away from each other and both in full light.
    Pics attached

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Forgot the pics. Here they are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

I bought two cherry tree saplings, one needed to pollinate the other and itself can bear fruit without polination according to the reading I did on it.
    Stella and hedelfinger.

Thing is, one of them seems like it’s frozen? The Stella is flying along and growing at a comfortable rate but the HF seems stuck with baby leaves that won’t open and hasn’t grown up at all.
    It’s still only under 4ft. The other up around 5.
    Am I doing something wrong? They’re planted about 20ft away from each other and both in full light.
    Pics attached

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance.

I have heard before that trees can take a couple of years to settle into a new position when replanted before they start growing and in my experience you can often get very little growth in the first year or two. I can see from the label on your tree saplings that they were purchased from a budget retailer and I also got a couple of hedelfinger trees from them this year. They were less than half the price I would expect to see them available from garden centres but the quality of some of the trees on display was not very good.

Both the trees I got do seem to be growing OK but have not changed much in overall size which is not very surprising. What I did find surprising with the ones I planted is that despite showing healthy buds on the stems when I was buying them the roots were very poorly preserved in the packaging. It looked like there had been very little effort made to keep some roots on the saplings I got and I am surprised they are growing as well as they are.

Going off what I noticed with my own trees from the same supplier I would guess that the roots of the sapling you are having a problem with are still not after getting fully established so the leaves have stopped growing to allow for the roots to get established first. Make sure you clear any competing vegetation from around the base of the sapling and give it a bit of water if we go a few days with no rain and I would be hopeful that it will get growing again. You have I assume checked where you planted it to make sure there was soil under it to allow the roots to develop and compressed the soil when it was planted to prevent frost penetrating into soil air pockets and damaging the young roots. Sometimes a light mulch under a tree can help maintain moisture in the soil which might also help. I would also take the labels off as I found some trees I had planted before were damaged when the wind blowing the label cut into the bark of the tree. I can't see any specific sign of disease in the photos taken but it would be worth taking a close look at the entire tree as well just to make sure there is not a more serious cause of its poor health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

macraignil wrote: »
    I have heard before that trees can take a couple of years to settle into a new position when replanted before they start growing and in my experience you can often get very little growth in the first year or two. I can see from the label on your tree saplings that they were purchased from a budget retailer and I also got a couple of hedelfinger trees from them this year. They were less than half the price I would expect to see them available from garden centres but the quality of some of the trees on display was not very good.

Both the trees I got do seem to be growing OK but have not changed much in overall size which is not very surprising. What I did find surprising with the ones I planted is that despite showing healthy buds on the stems when I was buying them the roots were very poorly preserved in the packaging. It looked like there had been very little effort made to keep some roots on the saplings I got and I am surprised they are growing as well as they are.

Going off what I noticed with my own trees from the same supplier I would guess that the roots of the sapling you are having a problem with are still not after getting fully established so the leaves have stopped growing to allow for the roots to get established first. Make sure you clear any competing vegetation from around the base of the sapling and give it a bit of water if we go a few days with no rain and I would be hopeful that it will get growing again. You have I assume checked where you planted it to make sure there was soil under it to allow the roots to develop and compressed the soil when it was planted to prevent frost penetrating into soil air pockets and damaging the young roots. Sometimes a light mulch under a tree can help maintain moisture in the soil which might also help. I would also take the labels off as I found some trees I had planted before were damaged when the wind blowing the label cut into the bark of the tree. I can't see any specific sign of disease in the photos taken but it would be worth taking a close look at the entire tree as well just to make sure there is not a more serious cause of its poor health.

That’s brilliant advice thank you!
    Yeah I got them in that l*dl place but I expect they’ll both be fine. One is probably a little shocked at its treatment and packaging of the roots which makes sense now that you say it. I left them sit both for two days in a big bucket of water after purchase as advised but you’re most likely right.

I’ll keep s close eye and watch out for developments negative of otherwise.
    Thanks again)

Advertisement