Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension contributions from different EU countries and UK

• 26-06-2019 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Not retired yet, in fact not even close to retiring, but I'd like to understand how this is likely to work for me. I suspect it's going to be very complicated!

My first question is what trimesters are counted in Ireland, I know some countries count time spent at university but does that only work in the country where one is claiming the final pension and does one have to have been at university in that country? I was at UCD but left soon after graduation, I only really worked a couple of summer jobs in Ireland, and then a couple of years in the UK (NI to be exact) before leaving for Germany and then France, which is where I'd be collecting my pension, and where the biggest part of my contributions have been paid.

Does anyone know who or what I'd need to contact to find out what rights I may have accrued in Ireland, north and south, and how best to avail of them?

Thanks.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Squozen

You'd speak to Revenue for the Irish part and HMRC for the UK's.

There are EU treaties that allow you to count the time you spent working in another EU state to be counted towards your time in your retirement country - check welfare.ie for more information on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Thanks a lot.

Does anyone know whether time in higher education can count towards the final pension - in terms of years served, that is. Obviously it wouldn't increase the amount paid, but I'm trying to get an idea of the age at which I can start to think of retiring, and I think the UK counts university trimesters, or used to. As I didn't study in the UK anyway it isn't relevant for me but i wondered if Ireland had something similar. But even if they do it may not be any use to me, as perhaps it only counts for a pension in Ireland. Which is not what I'm looking for, just totals of trimesters/years completed.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

volchitsa wrote: »
    Thanks a lot.

Does anyone know whether time in higher education can count towards the final pension - in terms of years served, that is. Obviously it wouldn't increase the amount paid, but I'm trying to get an idea of the age at which I can start to think of retiring, and I think the UK counts university trimesters, or used to. As I didn't study in the UK anyway it isn't relevant for me but i wondered if Ireland had something similar. But even if they do it may not be any use to me, as perhaps it only counts for a pension in Ireland. Which is not what I'm looking for, just totals of trimesters/years completed.

You can only get your statutory pension when you reach pensionable age, that age is being increased in stages and depending on your date of birth might be anything between 65 and 68

https://www.pensionsauthority.ie/en/LifeCycle/State_pensions/State_pension_age/

If you have a private pension it is dependant on the actual plan details.

Advertisement