Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religon and Business in Thurles

Options
  • 26-06-2019 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi

Would anyone have a view as to whether thes subject combos would be good from a work perspective. I have a Leaving Cert Student putting them on their CAO but I'm not sure they are viable for a full time job down the line.

If they were passionate about either I could understand the choice but that isn't the case.

I don't wish to be negative re college choice but if there is feedback I need to give I'd like to give it now. 462 points gained in Leaving Cert (2018) and currently working in an office but determined to go to college and give up the job.

I just worry about drifting into this course and prospects for Full Time Work not being good in 4 years time if they successfully get through the 4 years.

Grateful for all views.

I'd stress I'm happy to support them for this period of time but I'm worried about the course choice.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

The thing is with that degree you come out qualified teacher and have a business degree that can take you anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

DCU churns out a lot of RE teachers with History, English, and Music. Might be hard getting RE hours.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The way the country is going, there won't be many jobs for religion teachers in the future, but currently, there's a shortage of religion teachers who are actually qualified.

Business is optional in a lot of schools, so might not be great if you're intent on being a teacher, but like someone else pointed out, you would also have a business degree, so you wouldn't be stuck teaching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can see Religion dropping dramatically in the next 20 years or so.
    The business element would be useful, not for teaching, where it is madly over supplied, but generally.

I would be steering them away from teaching, if I am honest, especially if they would like full-time work on graduation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

spurious wrote: »
    I can see Religion dropping dramatically in the next 20 years or so.
    The business element would be useful, not for teaching, where it is madly over supplied, but generally.

I would be steering them away from teaching, if I am honest, especially if they would like full-time work on graduation.

It wont drop much but course will be more humanities based. Too many RE teachers out there to find hours elsewhere, especially those on CID it would be a departmental nightmare.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
Advertisement