Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens Issue Error 01

Options
  • 26-06-2019 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I hope this is the correct thread to post

I have a Canon EF 16-35 F2.8 Mk1 lens

Yesterday I encountered the error 01 only when shooting in Aperture priority and Manual mode at 16mm

The error is a little cryptic

I have changed the aperture from 2.8 to 20 in manual and I still get the same result.

If I shoot using 18mm range or above I get no error

Furthermore if I change mode and shoot in the similar modes and at 16mm range I get no error.

I have accepted I will need to repair the lens but even to trouble shoot this I have found it difficult to pin point where the issue is

I have used another lens to ensure its not the body

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Open to correction but error01 is a contacts error,

Simplist way to resolve it is to give the contacts a light rub with a coin, (possible some oils on the contacts)

Quick google finds this helpful resource:
    http://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/eos-camera-problems-and-fixes

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Going on the above Error 01 is a comm issue. A cause of this can be contacts but the added info in the OP makes me think its not.

The chip on the lens is reading a sensor (variable resistor perhaps) to determine where the lens is currently set, converting that to a digital message and passing it back over the EF protocol. My bet would be the contact track in the lens at the 16-17mm range is dirty/damaged so the lens isnt providing that data freaking the camera.

It may be a case of cleaning the small section of track to restore the full range but unfortunately that probably means taking the lens nearly fully apart.

error_99_canon_17_85_is_usm_52.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the response.

I thought the very same

However this only happens in manual and AV mode :(

So I am at loss with trying to determine the cause

These are probably my most common modes I use aswell as shutter priority

All other modes, this range, and all other ranges is fine.

I guess my main concern is really narrowing down the cause and going about the right course of action to resolve be it a repair job

I want to try and avoid swings and round abouts with who repairs the lens so its fixed once and for all

Is the EXIF correct on modes that work?

ED E wrote: »
    Is the EXIF correct on modes that work?

Hey, yeah they appear to be correct from what I can see, how would you best advise cleaning the connector? I’ve been getting mixed reviews online. Thanks

• Advertisement

It could be the comm chip in the lens. A sensing fault wouldnt really be mode specific.

Can't really advise what to do with it.

Thanks E anyways.

I will try and work around for now.

Just on the cleaning the connectors part.

How would you recommend? the link states using a coin, but I have seen mixed feedback on that.

Anyone have any opinions on what to use/not use

QTip, acetone(sparingly).

Advertisement