Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Ants 2019

Options
  • 26-06-2019 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

My first ever encounter with these, Waterford.

Went to the kitchen window and there was a swarm of them on the inside about the size of two hands.

I freaked out as they were so active and could see these guys filling my kitchen in no time if I didn't kill em quick.

Made a spray of 50/50 water n vinegar and that stunned them like they were drunk and I just picked them all up.

Have they visited you this year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

danjo-xx wrote: »
    My first ever encounter with these, Waterford.

Went to the kitchen window and there was a swarm of them on the inside about the size of two hands.

I freaked out as they were so active and could see these guys filling my kitchen in no time if I didn't kill em quick.

Made a spray of 50/50 water n vinegar and that stunned them like they were drunk and I just picked them all up.

Have they visited you this year!

No, thankfully. You did so well! I keep fly spray at the ready in case of any invasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It always marvels me that an ant, with a brain the size of a pin prick, can predict the weather better than a super computer. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Just ran through a massive swarm of them in carrickmines / leopardstown race course. About 3 kilometres of non stop waves of them. All covering the pavement and in the air. Horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

saffron22 wrote: »
    Just ran through a massive swarm of them in carrickmines / leopardstown race course. About 3 kilometres of non stop waves of them. All covering the pavement and in the air. Horrible

Horrible?

I find them enthralling and love to see decent swarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I saw 2 swarms yesterday in different places.One swarm was at my front door and the swallows were feeding on them.Everyone that took flight was quickly eaten.
    I'd say 1 in 20 got away from my garden,the rest were dinner for the swallows.

• Advertisement

we had at least 5 swarms on our patio yesterday .
    It was ridiculous,swallows going bananas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Horrible?

I find them enthralling and love to see decent swarms.

Horrible if you swallow one. Enthralling to watch from s safe distance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Last night, front door...........gone now.
    fJtTjIyl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭mulbot

Planet X wrote: »
    Last night, front door...........gone now.
    fJtTjIyl.jpg

Jesus, I thought mine were bad. Had 2 infestations over the last month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I had a nest erupt in the back garden about a week ago. Saw about 10 so gave a squirt of ant powder around where they were. 10 mins later, thousands came out but died shortly after.

Horrible I know but I'm not sorry, have had 2 nests in the house over the years. It's not funny to see your kitchen floor turned black and heaving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Steve wrote: »
    I had a nest erupt in the back garden about a week ago. Saw about 10 so gave a squirt of ant powder around where they were. 10 mins later, thousands came out but died shortly after.

Horrible I know but I'm not sorry, have had 2 nests in the house over the years. It's not funny to see your kitchen floor turned black and heaving.

I had a few nests near the house which I killed off with a kettle of boiling water. Another couple around the garden I'm not bothered by and also find them fascinating to watch. Got a few very happy spiders in the shrubs and the local bats get very active around now too.

The flying ones are harmless, unless of course you ingest a mouthful while going down a hill at full tilt on the bike :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I left them alone.
    They're gone hours later.
    No killing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can anyone clarify? The small winged ones are workers but the bigger ones are pregnant queens looking to establish a new nest.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Steve wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify? The small winged ones are workers but the bigger ones are pregnant queens looking to establish a new nest.?

Not quite. Neither are workers. They are virgin queens and fertile males looking to mate with ants from other nests.

Advertisement