Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for hotel close to DART in north of city

Options
  • 26-06-2019 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and the missus will be heading to Dublin in September and ideally we'd like to get booked into a hotel thats close to the DART. We're going to a match in the Aviva and as I'll be driving on the M1 it would be very handy to get booked in somewhere in the north end of the city, From there it should be handy to jump on the DART to and from the Aviva.

So does anyone know of hotels that are close to the DART line? I checked a couple of maps and while I can see hotels on one map and the DART line on another map I cant seem to find anything that shows me both.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

The marine hotel in Sutton might do, it's the closest hotel to a dart line I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for that. Just checked the availability and they are booked out unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look out southside too. I understand where your coming from but don't restrict to one area as most will be booked and anything close will be expensive....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

The grand Hotel malahide is less than 10 mins walk from station. Clontarf Castle is about 20 mins walk from clontarf Road. Otherwise B&Bs or hotels in City centre or Southside Can't think of any other hotels northside that are walking distance to dart.

Look out southside too. I understand where your coming from but don't restrict to one area as most will be booked and anything close will be expensive....
    Yeah, agree fully with what you're saying. Driving down from Donegal and staying northside would avoid a lot of traffic and save time. Easy for departing also and depending how things pan out after the match we might pop round to see friends in Drumcondra area which would be another advantage to staying on the northern side.

But full disclosure....the family already have us booked into a hotel in Ballsbridge (birthday pressie) so we wont be stuck. I was thinking of the convenience of the northside as outlined above and as "she who must be obeyed" has arthritis in the knee she cant walk too far and hence the idea of getting based beside the DART line. Still, it wont be too costly to get a taxi to and from the ground or if she's in good form she might even attempt the walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Don't forget the Port Tunnel and the East Link can help you get from Ballsbridge to the M1 handily

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

There are some airBnB options in bayside, all close to the dart station..

McGaggs wrote: »
    Don't forget the Port Tunnel and the East Link can help you get from Ballsbridge to the M1 handily
    I was there last year and took that route back from Ballsbridge......eventually :o

marvin42 wrote: »
    There are some airBnB options in bayside, all close to the dart station..
    If it was just me the BnB would be fine but a couple of the family are paying for an overnight stay so will probably have to be a hotel.

Just when I think of it, is there vehicle parking available at the DART stations? If we managed to get a hotel on the Northside that wasnt too far away we could drive and park at the station...if permitted or provided of course.

Not the end of the world if that plan doesnt work out as we are booked into a hotel in Ballsbridge anyhow. I suppose Im trying to save the family a few quid and also make the travelling arrangements simpler for myself by looking at alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

The Hilton on the Malahide Road might be an option .
    The 15 bus goes from there down to Clongriffen Dart station (where there is also an underground car park)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Marine Hotel Sutton - perfect location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A lot of the beautiful old.elegant hotels that were on the beautyspots on the north side have been turned into historically listed bildings with luxury appartments inside them. If.you have ballsbridge booked (happy birthday!) then there are darts relatively closeby - Ross O Carroll Kelly aptly titled one of his books 'shoild have got off at sydney parade' emphasising the dubliner dilema of never knowing of Landsdown or Sydney Parade was closer (to Avica - or is that titled the other way around!) Either way stick with what you have in Ballsbridge & don't be doubling your expenses! The Marine is due to ge turned in (surprise surprise)Luxury appartments 'soon' and the walk from it to Sutton dart is as near as from as that of the main hotels in BallsB to the local darts. Aviva is a spit away from BB so a taxi or tuktuk on the day would be the far easiest way to do it to keep the commander of the empire happy & have a great night.

What hotel in Ballsb?Both Bewleys and the Intercontinental have underground parking and some of yhe hige hotel size B&B 's there also have parking. You could come off the M50 and over the eastlink - or far better do a tunnel thing and save yourself a lot a hassle getting to.your hotel*.(*possibly!)

wench wrote: »
    The Hilton on the Malahide Road might be an option .
    The 15 bus goes from there down to Clongriffen Dart station (where there is also an underground car park)[/quote

Oh God no.
    Ok 2 or semi 3 star hotel but lovely itinerant weddings and culture to experience and all the funerals from the nearby graveyard keeping it busy but not to mention the horrendous roadworks and building site for hundreds of new houses nearby it . As for the trip to clongriffin and all the flights of stairs and long dark semi subterranian platforms to walk to -just say no. Dont do it to yourself -or her. But perhaps you like piggybacking? :0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Ballsbridge Hotel Dublin might be worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I second The Grand in Malahide.

Have fun in the city then leave the dirt behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Ross O Carroll Kelly aptly titled one of his books 'shoild have got off at sydney parade' emphasising the dubliner dilema of never knowing of Landsdown or Sydney Parade was closer (to Avica - or is that titled the other way around!)

That's hilariously wrong.

The title refers to his childs conception. He should have got off the *ahem* train two stops early, to avoid the risk of fatherhood. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The Grand in Malahide was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title. 5 mins walk from the station.

What hotel in Ballsb?
    The Clayton.

You could come off the M50 and over the eastlink - or far better do a tunnel thing and save yourself a lot a hassle getting to.your hotel*.(*possibly!)
    Done that route last year when we stayed in the Ballsbridge hotel....the family have more money than sense me thinks.

subpar wrote: »
    Marine Hotel Sutton - perfect location
    Booked out unfortunately

Oh God no.
    Ok 2 or semi 3 star hotel but lovely itinerant weddings and culture to experience and all the funerals from the nearby graveyard keeping it busy but not to mention the horrendous roadworks and building site for hundreds of new houses nearby it . As for the trip to clongriffin and all the flights of stairs and long dark semi subterranian platforms to walk to -just say no. Dont do it to yourself -or her.
    Good to know that. Thats the type of info I want to hear before taking a big leap of faith :)

But perhaps you like piggybacking? :0
    Does a cat like milk? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

The Grand in Malahide was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title. 5 mins walk from the station.

Same here. We stayed there last year for a rugby match. Easy, level walk to catch the dart to the Aviva, skipped out just before f/t and train back to Malahide for eats with friends who live on the northside. Few jars in Gibson's to round off the night:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Two alternatives that might meet your agenda.

Stay at the Skylon Hotel Drumcondra (or the Bonnington Whitehall), get the no. 1 bus right outside to Irishtown behind the Aviva.

Stay at the Maples Hotel or Egan's Guest House in Iona, get the no. 4 on Mobhi Rd directly to Ballsbridge with a short walk down Shelbourne Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

just log onto booking.com and specify Dublin and date and it will bring up every hotel and guest house that has available accommodation on that night. It sounds like if it's a big concert night, places will have been snapped up already or if available, will have very inflated prices so you will not have the luxury of choosing exactly what you want. A map will show the locations of all the hotels in your returned results so you can get an idea of distance from where you want to park. Posters mentioning hotels they know or like will be kind of pointless if they are invariably booked out as will be the case on a Saturday night of a big concert and is a waste of your time going into each recommended hotel or B&B's website to get no vacancy results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Stay in the Gibson and walk over the bridge to Aviva 20 Min Walk at most.

ongarboy wrote: »
    just log onto booking.com and specify Dublin and date and it will bring up every hotel and guest house that has available accommodation on that night. It sounds like if it's a big concert night, places will have been snapped up already or if available, will have very inflated prices so you will not have the luxury of choosing exactly what you want. A map will show the locations of all the hotels in your returned results so you can get an idea of distance from where you want to park. Posters mentioning hotels they know or like will be kind of pointless if they are invariably booked out as will be the case on a Saturday night of a big concert and is a waste of your time going into each recommended hotel or B&B's website to get no vacancy results.
    All makes perfect sense. Dont know about music events but we're going to the Ireland v Wales match in the Aviva so Id imagine a lot of places will be booked out for that. As I said earlier we have a reservation in the Clayton in Ballsbridge but I was looking for handier ways to get to and from hotel/stadium and also for arriving and leaving by car and possibly visiting friends in Drumcondra (by car).

The Grande in Malahide is very appealing and ticks most boxes but "her indoors" keeps telling me to leave well enough alone and stick with the Clayton :)

TheBlock wrote: »
    Stay in the Gibson and walk over the bridge to Aviva 20 Min Walk at most.
    Thats the problem part ... the walking. The other half has a dodgy knee so anything more than a 10 minute walk max will result in my life being made hell or maybe easier - havent figured out the consequences yet :D

muffler wrote: »
    Thats the problem part ... the walking. The other half has a dodgy knee so anything more than a 10 minute walk max will result in my life being made hell or maybe easier - havent figured out the consequences yet :D

The Clayton is the old Bewleys - lovely hotel, good spot, close to Aviva - and already paid for!Herself has spoken! Dont be anno ying the in laws by refusing /wasting their $ Sure you can always come down and have a night in Malahide another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

muffler wrote: »

Who booked the Clayton? Probably a 30 minute walk to the stadium on a match day with extremely limited ability to get a cab from there on match day I would have thought.

It’s not that long a walk normally but also unsure of which part of the stadium you will be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The Marine is due to be turned into (surprise surprise)Luxury appartments 'soon'QUOTE]

Where did you hear this as I don't see anything if I Google it.

Advertisement