Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

anewme wrote: »
    I've just seen an ad also for a protest at Shelbourne Park with some people I know attending.

That is where my brother used to work.

Be careful they have security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Lot of people in work here today talking about it and how they will never make a trip to the dog racing again for these work events or at a personal level. I'd be the first to be critical of RTE the organisation but i commend then and give credit where it's due here. They have exposed what goes on in this barbaric "sport" and hopefully dealt it a fatal blow that it will not recover from.

If they could that same effort into the horse racing side of things it would be wonderful but with the political power behind horse racing Ireland and the government holding a gun to RTE's head i won't hold my breath.

It would be great for those of us who feel strong enough to voice our concerns. It is about the welfare of the dogs, after all.

What do you suggest?

1. Write to Dept of Agriculture? (Email sent there now)
    2. TD's?
    3. Do not attend / support any Greyhound Racing events and speak out when they are suggested.

Any other proposals? The more people the better who follow up.

Make sure you use the “Contact us” form on that link NOT the quality services email address! Write an email in the Contact us form and click submit ! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭unreg999

It's just a phrase. I meant nothing by it. It's hardly patronizing.

I am just telling you...

I hope you understand better now.

The irony!!! 🙄🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I see Irish Independent is listed ....I wonder is that because they run adverts for Greyhound Racing.

I will be sending an email to each of the suppliers (within my remit) asking them to confirm their position.

There are some big names there and I would like to verify if they are all correct.

Also, I do use Barry's Tea as its my favourite, and I wont be doing it again and will be spreading the word about it.

If you could PM a list of those suppliers when verified i'd be doing likewise along with two other members of my household.

I wonder if it's possible to find out how many TD's have an interest financially or otherwise in dog racing/abuse?

• Advertisement

That is where my brother used to work.

Be careful they have security.

And ??

You walk greyhounds and your brother worked in Shelbourne Park?

Security cannot stop a public protest and the right to demonstrate at the appalling practices in this business.
    In fact after last night it would only strengthen the case against IGB and these animal welfare issues if Shelbourne Park got their security heavies involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I can imagine.

I wonder though is that the right image. The number one defense of such industries is that people are extremist hippies. And it works. Its very undermining.

Maybe if you do that film the abuse etc. Put it on youtube.

If you had ever been to one of the protests you would know that by no stretch of the imagination could those there be called 'extremist hippies".

And that kind of BS only works if people are stupid enough to think abuse can be ignored if they don't like the appearance of the people speaking out about it. I suppose any excuse to do nothing is better than having no excuse at all. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I've just seen an ad also for a protest at Shelbourne Park with some people I know attending.

Can you share the details please?

I can imagine.

I wonder though is that the right image. The number one defense of such industries is that people are extremist hippies. And it works. Its very undermining.

Maybe if you do that film the abuse etc. Put it on youtube.

There is plenty on youtube to see already.

The point of the on site protests is to make gullible tourists or hen parties aware so that they can turn around and go to a nice gig instead, and then spread the word.

If you could PM a list of those suppliers when verified i'd be doing likewise along with two other members of my household.

I wonder if it's possible to find out how many TD's have an interest financially or otherwise in dog racing/abuse?

Jackie Cahill FF

Owns lots of dogs and also is involved with a stadium in thurles.

• Advertisement

And senators.

strandroad wrote: »
    There is plenty on youtube to see already.

The point of the on site protests is to make gullible tourists or hen parties aware so that they can turn around and go to a nice gig instead, and then spread the word.

Do many turn away?

And ??

You walk greyhounds and your brother worked in Shelbourne Park?

Security cannot stop a public protest and the right to demonstrate at the appalling practices in this business.
    In fact after last night it would only strengthen the case against IGB and these animal welfare issues if Shelbourne Park got their security heavies involved!
    All I said was be careful!

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If you had ever been to one of the protests you would know that by no stretch of the imagination could those there be called 'extremist hippies".

And that kind of BS only works if people are stupid enough to think abuse can be ignored if they don't like the appearance of the people speaking out about it. I suppose any excuse to do nothing is better than having no excuse at all. :rolleyes:

I haven't been to a greyhound protest.

I have been to other animal rights protests and stopped going because i was put off by aggressive extremists. I am being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Great post.

Trying to connect the regular greyhopund man in Ireland with what is happening in China is disingenuous at the very least.

In 2011 the IGB came up with a strategic plan to actively get involved in greyhound racing in China. They finally dropped the plan some 3 years later after it massively backfired and caused a huge public outcry.

So the links with China are not 'disingenuous'. They were a matter of IGB policy.

archer22 wrote: »
    And lets not forget the Fox hunts...they can match everything in that documentary, and then some!.

And also recipients of taxpayers money.

Where do they receive tax payers money ..i wasn't aware of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

In 2011 the IGB came up with a strategic plan to actively get involved in greyhound racing in China. They finally dropped the plan some 3 years later after it massively backfired and caused a huge public outcry.

So the links with China are not 'disingenuous'. They were a matter of IGB policy.

You snipped off the bit where RTE said that 1 trainer had sent a handful of dogs, 5 if I remember correctly.

The greyhound people I knew at that time were disgusted at the thought of doing business with the tracks in China.

I am not sure what to believe TBH.

One poster says trainers here are disgusted at the idea of sending dogs to china etc the other says its the IGB's own policy.

You can't both be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

Dogs are a food animal in China/Korea/Vietnam - and treated as such ( often at standards far below the standards for agricultural livestock in EU)-it had no place in this TV programme ;

was there any evidence that the Greyhounds at that meat market had any connection to Irish racing- NO;
    And what’s the whole country talking about today? Irish Greyhounds being boiled alive out in China - and that’s fair balanced broadcasting from RTE?

BROADCASTING ACT-
    Section 42 of the Act provides that:
    (1) The Authority shall prepare, and from time to time as occasion requires, revise, in accordance with this section, a code or codes governing standards and practice (“broadcasting code”) to be observed by broadcasters.
    (2) Broadcasting codes shall provide –
    (a) that all news broadcast by a broadcaster is reported and presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of the broadcaster’s own views,
    (b) that the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate, is fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of the broadcaster’s own views,
    (e) that a broadcaster does not, in the allocation of time for transmitting party political broadcasts, give an unfair preference to any political party.

RTE have crossed the line here legally IMO- abuse of power in their position as the State Broadcaster.

One poster says trainers here are disgusted at the idea of sending dogs to china etc the other says its the IGB's own policy.

You can't both be right!

Your unwillingness to understand is astounding. IGB had an official plan to get involved with China's tracks. Some trainers were not in favour.

• Advertisement

Your unwillingness to understand is astounding. IGB had an official plan to get involved with China's tracks. Some trainers were not in favour.
    Will you please stop insulting me?

I have done actually nothing to warrant it.

You are just being rude.

It was totally unbalanced. IGB commissions a report to ascertain the number of dogs at any stage of their lives, in order to tighten regulations and its being used as a stick to beat them! Most of the footage shown was either years old or in another country. The sale of greyhounds to China has been banned already. The Cork transporter has already been dealt with. One greyhound was found years ago with its ears cut off. They didn’t show any follow up as all breeding greyhounds are DNA tested.

You're making it sound like 2013, when that poor dogs ears were cut off, is a way off time in the past. Totally historic. What about Emily, a greyhound I spent time with myself, whose ears were burned and tail hacked off in 2016? Is 2016 in the distant past too?

There's still Irish greyhounds regularly showing up in China. They've just started hiding the tattoos and changing their names on the Chinese database. I'll name a couple in case anyone is interested but rest assured its not isolated to these two. Autton Jet - a three time winner including super sprint winner in cork 2017 has been discovered in China. Irish greyhound Shaneboy who last raced here less than a year ago in Newbridge was exported to mainland china just last November.

15 years ago there was almost no greyhounds to be found in mainland China and now they're the 3rd most popular breed at meat markets. A big part of the blame for that lies with Irish exports.

Another poster seems to almost trying to defend the abhorrent treatment of these dogs in China by saying that the people there can't protest. What this poster didn't seem concerned with was that the people here can. They asked someone 'what would you like to see done'. What I'd like to see done is the lobbying of our government to STOP spending taxpayers money (OUR money) bailing out a cruel and dying industry and use that SIXTEEN MILLION yearly sum for something this country actually wants and needs. Be it hospital beds, better and more accessible mental health services or any number of other much needed or underfunded services (24/7 cardiac care for the south east?)

We could stay here all day being swept around in circles on the tailwinds of anecdotes or being told it's all being dealt with and this is only outdated nonsense. We are not stupid, we have seen it with our own eyes. So we need to do something. Join the protesters. Boycott the advertisers and sponsors. Email, tweet and comment on the facebook pages of Leo Varadkar, Michael Creed, Josepha Madigan, your local TDs and anyone else you can think of and let them know how you feel.

Another poster seems to almost trying to defend the abhorrent treatment of these dogs in China by saying that the people there can't protest. What this poster didn't seem concerned with was that the people here can. They asked someone 'what would you like to see done'.

If you are referring to me I would like to see it winding down for good.

I shall not be attending protests however. The people who attend them are just too extreme. I don't feel comfortable.

Its not a pleasant atmosphere. Even if you agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

You can't both be right!

It's like a lot of politics in other organisations.

Most people concerned follow it but many don't want to get involved.
    That leaves an opening for those who seek to take advantage.
    Again - some, not all of the IGB and ICC boards.
    There are some good men there too.

We have seen that time and again in this country.
    Thankfully there seems to be an overdue purge of unsavoury charchters in other sporting organisations.

If the IGB and ICC use this show as a means to push through some radical reform I would be delighted.
    If they don't it's the end of them.

You're making it sound like 2013, when that poor dogs ears were cut off, is a way off time in the past. Totally historic. What about Emily, a greyhound I spent time with myself, whose ears were burned and tail hacked off in 2016? Is 2016 in the distant past too?

There's still Irish greyhounds regularly showing up in China. They've just started hiding the tattoos and changing their names on the Chinese database. I'll name a couple in case anyone is interested but rest assured its not isolated to these two. Autton Jet - a three time winner including super sprint winner in cork 2017 has been discovered in China. Irish greyhound Shaneboy who last raced here less than a year ago in Newbridge was exported to mainland china just last November.

15 years ago there was almost no greyhounds to be found in mainland China and now they're the 3rd most popular breed at meat markets. A big part of the blame for that lies with Irish exports.

Another poster seems to almost trying to defend the abhorrent treatment of these dogs in China by saying that the people there can't protest. What this poster didn't seem concerned with was that the people here can. They asked someone 'what would you like to see done'. What I'd like to see done is the lobbying of our government to STOP spending taxpayers money (OUR money) bailing out a cruel and dying industry and use that SIXTEEN MILLION yearly sum for something this country actually wants and needs. Be it hospital beds, better and more accessible mental health services or any number of other much needed or underfunded services (24/7 cardiac care for the south east?)

We could stay here all day being swept around in circles on the tailwinds of anecdotes or being told it's all being dealt with and this is only outdated nonsense. We are not stupid, we have seen it with our own eyes. So we need to do something. Join the protesters. Boycott the advertisers and sponsors. Email, tweet and comment on the facebook pages of Leo Varadkar, Michael Creed, Josepha Madigan, your local TDs and anyone else you can think of and let them know how you feel.

‘Irish Greyhounds are the 3rd most popular breed at meat markets now’? - can you provide a link to when this research was carried out;

If you looked at dogs as a purely Agricultural commodity they’d be extraordinary expensive meat animals after being air freighted to China from Ireland- surely they’d be priced out of the market -Or is there ship loads of them leaving from Ireland? the economics of your argument just don’t stack up?

We require as a start some basic mass balance system being introduced whereby all legally bred dogs have to be accounted for throughout their life- until death;this black hole of the 6000 dogs is obviously not acceptable at any level.

If you looked at dogs as a purely Agricultural commodity they’d be extraordinary expensive meat animals after being air freighted to China from Ireland- surely they’d be priced out of the market -Or is there ship loads of them leaving from Ireland? the economics of your argument just don’t stack up?

It's perfectly plausible that they buy and freight some and then they use them for breeding for meat.

It's like a lot of politics in other organisations.

Most people concerned follow it but many don't want to get involved.
    That leaves an opening for those who seek to take advantage.
    Again - some, not all of the IGB and ICC boards.
    There are some good men there too.

We have seen that time and again in this country.
    Thankfully there seems to be an overdue purge of unsavoury charchters in other sporting organisations.

If the IGB and ICC use this show as a means to push through some radical reform I would be delighted.
    If they don't it's the end of them.

Lets hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭unreg999

If you are referring to me I would like to see it winding down for good.

I shall not be attending protests however. The people who attend them are just too extreme. I don't feel comfortable.

Its not a pleasant atmosphere. Even if you agree with them.

That's understandable.... but no one enjoys going to protests etc (well the majority don't) but the point isn't your/our comfort when you are protesting these vile issues and practices such as these...

• Advertisement

It's perfectly plausible that they buy and freight some and then they use them for breeding for meat.

They can do that with any breed; well let’s lock down all dog exports so if that’s what it’ll take;

The problem here now is we’re gone totally off point- and the reason for that is some editor of that programme brought the use of dogs as a food source in Asia into this debate about Greyhound racing with a view to getting a sensational outpouring of disgust from the general public- its why we have the Broadcasting Act and associated Law.

Advertisement