Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Are the knackerys shown in that show open for business and trading as normal does anyone know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

seamus wrote: »
    It's not just a few bad eggs though. It's endemic in the greyhound industry. Very few, if any, breeders and trainers operate ethically and care for ALL of their animals appropriately.

A more accurate analogy would be "everyone is drinking and driving, so lets ban driving".

The obvious argument is to bring in stricter controls and regulations. But the problem is that greyhound racing is already a dead duck. It provides no income to the state and cannot survive without massive state subvention.

Tighter animal welfare laws (read: in line with EU norms) and the removal of state subvention would be a de facto ban on Greyhound racing.

As an addendum, someone being a respected vet actually means nothing in terms of animal welfare. The same ethical restrictions that exist for doctors, don't exist for vets. Many vets are quite cruel and inhumane individuals with scant regard for the suffering of animals or the right thing to do. If someone presents an animal at surgery to be euthanised, most vets will do it without hesitation; €€€€.

The vets who give a **** are few and far between in my experience.

I have actually raised the ethics of a vet killing a healthy animal. If the Vets refused to attend races, the race would not be able to go ahead. So the Vets could stop racing.

There is so much talk about the good greyhound breeders but they are happy to be under the IGB & ICC. They happily support the industry that kills thousands of dogs. Where are the protests from the breeders & owners who tell us how much they love their dogs ?

I remember one Greyhound "surrendered" to a local rescue. After a lot of prompting the owner offered the rescue €20 - the dog had won over €6000 in prize money.

strandroad wrote: »
    Sure, I'm sure it differs from one rescue to another. Some reached an agreement of sorts with some smaller greyhound owners who retire their dogs to them and contribute (something to be welcomed). Some take any dogs at all but the risk is that unscrupulous owners can mass dump dogs then and swamp the rescue beyond their capacity.

Also known as getting rid, ignoring their responsibility as an animal owner, showing how little their really care for the welfare of their dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,493 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    You are really scrabbling to find excuses aren't you.

6,000 microchipped dogs dying of 'natural causes'?? Do me a favour.

Or being exported in which case they would need documentation - passports etc so how can they be 'unaccounted' for?

They went to live on a farm in the UK...

Great the way they set up this database to track dogs from birth and tattoo/microchip only for thousands of dogs to disappear off the face of the earth. They didnt all die of natural causes, nor they can't all be rehomed, nor absorbed into the UK racing scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Sure, I'm sure it differs from one rescue to another. Some reached an agreement of sorts with some smaller greyhound owners who retire their dogs to them and contribute (something to be welcomed). Some take any dogs at all but the risk is that unscrupulous owners can mass dump dogs then and swamp the rescue beyond their capacity.
    Ah sorry. I'm talking from the point-of-view of the general population again and if they wanted to surrender a dog. I'm sure it's different if you're a breeder/professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No they need to be released for rehoming in the first place. It costs 50 quid or similar to surrender a dog to a pound, rescues ask for contributions too. It costs a tenner to shoot them instead, and you even get the collar back. Do your math.

I am sure you have an excellent point.

I don't think it has anything to with mine though.

People don't often come looking for greyhounds to adopt. Usually because of misconceptions and because they only see them on the track where the adorableness of them doesn't really shine.

People see them as ugly dogs or hard to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Discodog wrote: »
    I have actually raised the ethics of a vet killing a healthy animal. If the Vets refused to attend races, the race would not be able to go ahead. So the Vets could stop racing.

There is so much talk about the good greyhound breeders but they are happy to be under the IGB & ICC. They happily support the industry that kills thousands of dogs. Where are the protests from the breeders & owners who tell us how much they love their dogs ?

I heard that in some EU countries it is illegal to put a healthy dog or cat down, you can only do it in case of serious illness or suffering or if it's a blind litter of puppies or kittens. Is it state legislation level, or is it wider EU rules that we are flouting, as you do?

I remember one Greyhound "surrendered" to a local rescue. After a lot of prompting the owner offered the rescue €20 - the dog had won over €6000 in prize money.

They are not hard up cases.

Also known as getting rid, ignoring their responsibility as an animal owner, showing how little their really care for the welfare of their dogs.

In fairness if the owners contribute some and the rescues are decently subsidised it's not a bad way of managing the surplus. Compared to the alternatives anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Adorable.

I didn’t watch all of last night’s program as I just can’t bear to but that image of the dog writhing on the ground after being shot will stay with me for a long time. They didn’t even treat him/her with any dignity/sympathy when s/he was obviously nervous and didn’t want to go in (probably because s/he sensed something horrible afoot).

I’m actually sorry I watched it at all.

• Advertisement

In fairness if the owners contribute some and the rescues are decently subsidised it's not a bad way of managing the surplus. Compared to the alternatives anyway...

You mean compared to sitting back & letting thousands die. How about owners owning up their responsibilities instead of seeing a Greyhound as a commodity rather than a companion animal.

Adorable.

I didn’t watch all of last night’s program as I just can’t bear to but that image of the dog writhing on the ground after being shot will stay with me for a long time. They didn’t even treat him/her with any dignity/sympathy when s/he was obviously nervous and didn’t want to go in (probably because s/he sensed something horrible afoot).

Please don't be sorry, you did the right thing and had the strength to. I only watched bits with a lot of FFing, I just can't. But I will raise it with as many people as I can in my circle and I have the evening of emailing politicians planned out, please do the same.

You mean compared to sitting back & letting thousands die. How about owners owning up their responsibilities instead of seeing a Greyhound as a commodity rather than a companion animal.
    Owners rarely are very public about owning dogs that they race neither are trainers.

Its kind of a secretive sport.

How could anyone want a Greyhound as a pet

v5c0vc.jpg

Owners rarely are very public about owning dogs that they race neither are trainers.

Its kind of a secretive sport.

Not a sport

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Seen someone here asked about details off the protest. Begins at 6pm today at Shelbourne Park greyhound stadium.

I agree with you actually. But while I'm awaiting the inevitable collapse of the industry (unfortunately I can't believe it could be banned in Ireland, I'd like to be wrong on that) I would see it as an improvement to oblige the owners to give up all dogs to rescues and contribute a regulated fee, and to redirect funds from IGB to rescues to subsidise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Close the sport down,give the stadiums/venues to athletic/fitness clubs.Win/win healthier nation all round!

downwesht wrote: »
    Close the sport down,give the sadiums to athletic/fitness clubs.Win/win healthier nation all round!

And facility jobs kept.

Adorable.

I haven't watched it. can't.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    You are really scrabbling to find excuses aren't you.

6,000 microchipped dogs dying of 'natural causes'?? Do me a favour.

Or being exported in which case they would need documentation - passports etc so how can they be 'unaccounted' for?

Micro chipping wasn’t a requirement for pups until mid 2015 and adult dogs roughly a year later. So, for the period covered by RTÉ, it’s doubtful many, if any were chipped. The BALAI carts and passports would have been introduced at roughly the same time.

And facility jobs kept.

There will be job losses. Unfortunately.

I agree with you actually. But while I'm awaiting the inevitable collapse of the industry (unfortunately I can't believe it could be banned in Ireland, I'd like to be wrong on that) I would see it as an improvement to oblige the owners to give up all dogs to rescues and contribute a regulated fee, and to redirect funds from IGB to rescues to subsidise them.

A simple 20% betting levy would ensure that ever Greyhound or horse gets the right care.

Betting is the key & why worryingly owners are now entering dogs in morning races with no crowd.

Micro chipping wasn’t a requirement for pups until mid 2015 and adult dogs roughly a year later. So, for the period covered by RT it’s doubtful many, if any were chipped. The BALAI carts and passports would have been introduced at roughly the same time.

The IGB ICC fought against micro chipping & recent events suggests that microchips are no longer a safe ID.

You really think that RTE sat on this for four or more years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

seamus wrote: »
    The vets who give a **** are few and far between in my experience.

In your experience as you say. In my experience from a horse racing background i would say quite the opposite. Most vets i know and deal with on a day to day basis are extremely good at their job and very caring to the animal.

There is about €50 million a year generated from betting tax in ireland so to say that greyhound racing does not provide any money to the state is factually innacurate. But then again it fits the narrative.

I am not really going to get into an discussion on this topic any further tbh. I dont have strong views on it and dont feel the documentary covered any of the otherside of the industry.
    So i will leave the one sided kickabout where people fling around general statements about people and other such things with literally nothing more than "imo" as proof . Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Would the Greyhound industry not be funded from the lottery rather than from exchequer funds?

Don't know, just curious.

Just found the answer myself.

Under Section 12 of the Horse and Greyhound Racing Act, 2001 (No.20 of 2001), the horse and greyhound racing industries receive financial support from the State through the Horse and Greyhound Racing Fund (the Fund).

In the period 2001 to 2017 a total of €1.12 billion has been paid from the Fund. In accordance with the provisions of the Act monies are paid out of the fund in the ratio of 80% to Horse Racing Ireland and 20% to Bord na gCon as specified in Section 12 (6) of the Act. State funding provided through the Fund is pivotal to the survival of the horse and greyhound racing industries.

20% to Bord na gCon means €222m in 17 years or €13m a year. That's a lot of taxpayers' money

There will be job losses. Unfortunately.

And gains. Tracks are mostly dead forlorn looking places between the occasional races. Imagine if they were repurposed for sports, gigs and community events and actually used the entire day every day.

A simple 20% betting levy would ensure that ever Greyhound or horse gets the right care.

Betting is the key & why worryingly owners are now entering dogs in morning races with no crowd.

That is a brilliant idea. It can go towards the dogs future etc.

The IGB ICC fought against micro chipping & recent events suggests that microchips are no longer a safe ID.

You really think that RTE sat on this for four or more years ?

The report that they worked on was 2017. It was instigated so the powers that be could tighten up regulations, which they are doing.

Most of the videos used last night are years old and have been touted by anti organisations like CAGED.

There was some truth in last nights program, but there were a hell of a lot of untruths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That is a brilliant idea. It can go towards the dogs future etc.

Kind of like a nursing home for greyhounds.

Advertisement