Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,784 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Not saying that the judge is corrupt, more not interested in the cases. I would have my own opinion on people like this but yeah it's frustrating especially when it is an obvious and provable case of abuse.
    Then lets say, not subject to a judge's capriciousness. Innocent until proven guilty. Still, shutting it down solves this problem.

In relation to the knacker yards, fines are one thing, but potentially there is food chain issues by their actions, while unlikely it could be grounds for their license being revoked.
    No loss then. What other illicit things are they up to? Businesses committing violations of the law usually don't just do it once. They may get convicted for 1 thing, but the prosecutor typically has a lot to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Discodog wrote: »
    It is a sub forum of AH.I agree regarding dog ownership but it is getting better - a lot better. However the program, the thread & at least 6000 dead Greyhounds aren't about pet dog ownership. By the way all the earlier research has put the figure closer to 10,000.Many people have pointed out the inherent cruelty of racing. Even a idiot can work out that only a few dogs will be good racers & to produce those you have to produce lots of dogs that won't make the grade.

You may think it acceptable to say breed 100 pups in order to get 10 potential racers & then kill the rest. I don't & it that makes me a mob then so be it.

We could all dig up **** regarding posting if thats where and some others are going. And no it's not AH. Or a sub forum of AH.

No I dont believe dog ownership is getting better. And that's from the figures and my own direct experience. I have had approximately the same amount of dumped animals including 'pet's dogs here over the last 19 years - so sfa has changed imo.

The fallacy of the appeal to "many people" doesnt wash as far as an discussion goes I'm afraid. And no I dont 'produce' dogs (sic)

But to use your words "even an idiot can understand' that this media report is being bandwagoned and used to support those who have always campaigned to completely ban greyhound racing. That is all too evident.

6,000 greyhounds being unaccounted for is vastly different from 6,000 being "executed" but isn't as attention grabbing. If you actually read the report, commissioned by IGB, you would see that the RTE program was an oversensationalised attack on a legal activity.
    Now, I must walk, feed and groom my poor neglected greyhounds before I go to work.

Yes “commissioned by IGB “ ....... of course they’re going to say the programme was an oversensationalised attack !! They’ve huge skin in the game ....€13/16M in grants every year ?? Go figure :rolleyes:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I think that's harsh tbh.What I am seeing is a few posters who are invested in greyhound racing using the Vicky Pollard defense of "yes, but no, but yes, but pounds, but not Irish, but legal, but ages ago, but but..."And that is, imho, part of the problem. Deny, defend, deflect, rather than admit failures and work to improve things.
    It is also why I think think things cannot improve.
    How can they when those involved won't admit just how bad things have gotten?

No that's (ie the comment to which you replied) idiotic. And no I'm not invested in greyhound racing. The old vested interest line popular of some is a non sequitur.

Btw I don't see people denying their are problems - what I have seen here is a lot of pitchfork waving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

gozunda wrote: »
    We could all dig up **** regarding posting if thats where and some others are going. And no it's not AH.

No I dont believe dog ownership is getting better. And that's from the figures and my own direct experience. I have had approximately the same amount of dumped animals including 'pet's dogs here over the last 19 years - so sfa has changed imo.

The fallacy of the appeal to "many people" doesnt wash as far as an discussion goes I'm afraid. And no I dont 'produce' dogs (sic)

But to use your words "even an idiot can understand' that this media report is being bandwagoned and used to support those who have always campaigned to completely ban greyhound racing. That is all too evident.

What is in the media is based on a report commissioned by the IGB.
    They sat on it for 2 years.

Maybe if the IGB had actually acted this wouldn't have blown up in their faces.

Do you deny there are problems within the greyhound racing industry?

• Advertisement

No that's idiotic. And no I'm not invested in greyhound racing. The old vested interest line popular of some is a non sequitur.

Btw I don't see people denying their are problems - what I have seen here is a lot of pitchfork waving.

And in response to this so-called pitchfork waving you have defended, deflected, and denied.

As a tactic it's not going to cut it this time.

And in response to this so-called pitchfork waving you have defended, deflected, and denied.
    As a tactic it's not going to cut it this time.

Have I really? I dropped into the discussion latterly largely because of some of the rubbish I've seen posted. The 'report' in question has been questioned as to the validity of its figures. That is a fact.

As to your claim of 'defended deflected denied' (sic) - that is rubbish btw. I've clearly pointed out that there are problems with many aspects of dog ownership and the pitch forking of just one group is clearly evident.

This from previous
    gozunda wrote:
    The point is there is a very serious issue with irresponsible dog owners across the board. This however has turned to a trial by media and mob hysterics complete with pitchforks.

That hasn't changed tbh

Have I really? I dropped into the discussion latterly largely because of some of the rubbish I've seen posted. The 'report' in question has been questioned as to the validity of its figures. That is a fact.

As to your claim of 'defended deflected denied' (sic) - that is rubbish btw. I've clearly pointed out that there are problems with many aspects of dog ownership and the pitch forking of just one group is clearly evident.

This from previous

That hasn't changed tbh

No one denied there is a problem with dog ownership. But that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is specifically about the greyhound industry so trying to bring in the wider issue of how pet dogs are treated in this country is absolutely deflection. But it's the very same people highlighting the mess that is the greyhound industry who are also cleaning up the mess left by irresponsible pet owners and industrial scale breeders so you can hop off your high horse there.

What you have utterly failed to do is provide any kind of evidence to refute the figures or plausible explanation for where an estimated 6000 pups (who should by law be microchipped at 12 weeks - and this should be done by the breeder) have gone.

You complain about pitchfork waving but your response is to repeatedly call things "rubbish" or "idiotic" over and over and over again. You aren't doing your argument any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Thanks!!
    I spent the last 10 years thinking about it once I gave up on the current system :D:D:D:D
    Do you think it would be possible to reinvent the greyhound racing industry as one that primarily cares about the welfare of the dogs? I feel it's theoretically possible, but the reality of the historic treatment of all dogs (and particularly sighthounds) in this country makes me wonder if abuse is too endemic for it to work.

bb12 wrote: »
    there are already tough laws for animal abuse here. the problem is nothing is ever done about it and if perchance a case ends up in court, they'll get away with a fine of a few hundred..sure look at the guy who swung his jack russell around in a park with kids in it and killed the dog in front of everyone...when it went to court he walked away scot free and didn't even get an animal ban....the welfare laws are completely useless as they are just not enforced in any way yet every td will come out and say " we have the best welfare laws in the world"...absolutely worthless drivel.
    Do we have tough laws? Genuine question as I always thought the issue was that we didn't. Is it lack of enforcement that's the issue?

No one denied there is a problem with dog ownership. But that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is specifically about the greyhound industry so trying to bring in the wider issue of how pet dogs are treated in this country is absolutely deflection. But it's the very same people highlighting the mess that is the greyhound industry who are also cleaning up the mess left by irresponsible pet owners and industrial scale breeders so you can hop off your high horse there.What you have utterly failed to do is provide any kind of evidence to refute the figures or plausible explanation for where an estimated 6000 pups (who should by law be microchipped at 12 weeks - and this should be done by the breeder) have gone. You complain about pitchfork waving but your response is to repeatedly call things "rubbish" or "idiotic" over and over and over again. You aren't doing your argument any favours.

The 'idiotic" was in reference to one single post btw which you chose to quote btw. That has been reported. I believe I may have used the term 'rubbish' twice in relation to the language used by some. So drop the hyperbole. Thanks.

I think you need to read what is actually written.

Yes there has been some denial regarding the problems of dog ownership. The thread is about greyhounds and yes greyhounds are dogs and yes there is a huge problem with dog ownership across the board in Ireland and the dog pound statistics prove that.

What I'm seeing here is the same is a complete denial of that and the demonisation of one specific group. Not just those who may be responsible - but a trial by media of all greyhound owners and yes the pitchforks are evident.

Btw I am a disinterested party with regard to the breeding and racing of greyhounds. But no I dont like bull****.

I have already detailed and quoted from the RTE article that the figures detailed are under dispute and the assumptions that all those greyhounds are "murdered" etc (sic) does not stand up to scrutiny even with a cursory reading of thst article. So perhaps it's a good idea to actually see where this goes before rounding everyone up.

I've seen some of the mud slinging above re 'vested intestests' etc etc used to try and attack those who have pointed the problems with the lack of logic and validity in many of the arguments being pushed.

Dont like what is said? Fine. But at least try and prove what I and others have written is wrong

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »

Do we have tough laws? Genuine question as I always thought the issue was that we didn't. Is it lack of enforcement that's the issue?

I wouldn't describe our laws as "tough" (not in comparison to countries like Sweden) but I would say they are adequate but largely unenforced, and even when enforced sentencing can be so light, when it actually happens, as to be no kind of disincentive.

I think you need to read what is actually written.

Yes there has been some denial regarding the problems of dog ownership. The thread is about greyhounds and yes greyhounds are dogs and yes there is a huge problem with dog ownership across the board in Ireland and the dog pound statistics prove that.

What I'm seeing here is the same is a complete denial of that and the demonisation of one specific group. Not just those who may be responsible - but a trial by media of all greyhound owners and yes the pitchforks are evident.

Btw I am a disinterested party with regard to the breeding and racing of greyhounds. But no I dont like bull****.

I have already detailed and quoted from the RTE article that the figures detailed are under dispute and the assumptions that all those greyhounds are "murdered" etc (sic) does not stand up to scrutiny even with a cursory reading of thst article. So perhaps it's a good idea to actually see where this goes before rounding everyone up.

I've seen some of the mud slinging above re 'vested intestests' etc etc used to try and attack those who have pointed the problems with the lack of logic and validity in many of the arguments being pushed.

Dont like what is said? Fine. But at least try and prove what I and others have written is wrong

If you don't like reading BS, perhaps you should try and refrain from writing it. Again you are trying to deflect to the wider issue of irresponsible dog owners among the general public when this is about an industry based on over breeding. If you wish to discuss the general state of dog ownership maybe start a thread on that topic?

All you and other's have given is opinion. Not one scrap of evidence to support that opinion. I cannot disprove that that is your opinion.

Why don't you practice what you are preaching and prove the allegations wrong? C'mon - show us the evidence that the reports are incorrect.

If you don't like reading BS, perhaps you should try and refrain from writing it. Again you are trying to deflect to the wider issue of irresponsible dog owners among the general public when this is about an industry based on over breeding. If you wish to discuss the general state of dog ownership maybe start a thread on that topic?
    All you and other's have given is opinion. Not one scrap of evidence to support that opinion. I cannot disprove that that is your opinion. Why don't you practice what you are preaching and prove the allegations wrong? C'mon - show us the evidence that the reports are incorrect.

Why the directed anger btw? But still missing the point? If you dont like posters pointing that some of the language etc used 'murderers, genocide blah blah is bs - then tough. Pointing it out however does not make that bs by return.

The only deflection I see is largely coming from one quarter tbh. The scale of domestic dogs taken in pounds dwarfs anything here. So yes there is problems across the board no matter how much some may wish to deny that

Rather than running around screaming that one aspect of disputed report is gospel - you may want to read the article on the report. And just let me clarify that's not my opinion btw - I quoted from the article directly. It's printed in black and white. But yeah if you want to go into the realms of fantasy further perhaps you would like to "show us the evidence that the reports are correct". Hows that suit?

Edit:

Quote from article linked previously
    In a statement to RTÉ Investigates, the IGB said despite the report "the level of greyhound euthanasia is unknown".

It said the analysis of the dog pool carried out by Preferred Results Ltd, "did not accord with what was clearly visible in the industry at the time the report was presented to the IGB in late September 2017".

It said in respect of greyhound deaths that "all figures referenced in media and elsewhere from a variety of different sources - including the Preferred Results Report - are based on guesstimates/estimates and have no evidence base".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I haven't seen the programme. And I don't want to either.

Make no mistake, the greyhound industry is all about money. The breed is all about speed. And not every greyhound is a born Usain Bolt.

Its been known for years that a good percentage never even make it to the track and that short cuts are taken for monetary purposes by less than ethical people. Even the moderate raceable ones that do make it are sold to the UK and Spain for betting purposes in low class graded affairs, and after they are finished racing, well....... some may be rehomed, but some don't.

The bookies that run these tracks and make huge profits off gamblers, should be putting some back in to ensure there are post racing arrangements, but they are take out merchants.

Pure Greed.

Why the directed anger btw? But still missing the point? If you dont like posters pointing that some of the language etc used 'murderers, genocide blah blah is bs - then tough. Pointing it out however does not make that bs by return.

The only deflection I see is largely coming from one quarter tbh. The scale of domestic dogs taken in pounds dwarfs anything here. So yes there is problems across the board no matter how much some may wish to deny that

Rather than running around screaming that one aspect of disputed report is gospel - you may want to read the article on the report. And just let me clarify that's not my opinion btw - I quoted from the article directly. It's printed in black and white. But yeah if you want to go into the realms of fantasy further perhaps you would like to "show us the evidence that the reports are correct". Hows that suit?

Edit:

Quote from article linked previously

I am not even slightly angry. I also haven't used the words genocide - or rubbish/idiotic for that matter.

I have said trying to shoehorn in discussion about irresponsible pet ownership is deflection - and you keep doing it. BTW - greyhounds end up in pound too. And the lucky one's get taken out by rescues who try and rehome them. Which is more than their owners do.

You still haven't provided any plausible evidence for where the "unaccounted" pups have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

STB. wrote: »
    I haven't seen the programme. And I don't want to either.

Make no mistake, the greyhound industry is all about money. The breed is all about speed. And not every greyhound is a born Usain Bolt.

Anyone who has greyhounds will tell you it costs money.
    You won't make a cent unless you have a stud dog or are a professional trainer.
    The ordinary joe is approaching it as a hobby.
    Its been known for years that a good percentage never even make it to the track and that short cuts are taken for monetary purposes by less than ethical people.

This is true, but there are a large part of greyhound people who want to do whats best by their dogs. The system is flawed at the moment in that people who are unethical have a massive advantage over those who are ethical.
    Even the moderate raceable ones that do make it are sold to the UK and Spain for betting purposes in low class graded affairs, and after they are finished racing, well....... some may be rehomed, but some don't.

The bookies that run these tracks and make huge profits off gamblers, should be putting some back in to ensure there are post racing arrangements, but they are take out merchants.

Very little bookmaker turnover is from greyhounds. Soccer, Tennis, American sports are all ahead of horse racing, greyhound racing is well down the pecking order.
    There are plenty of tracks in Ireland that race without bookmakers being present.
    Bookies in England and the pushing of poor standard races are the root cause of the decline in England.

You have made some incorrect assumptions that lead to incorrect conclusions.
    Without properly understanding the problem you won't find an appropriate solution.

Yes “commissioned by IGB “ ....... of course they’re going to say the programme was an oversensationalised attack !! They’ve huge skin in the game ....€13/16M in grants every year ?? Go figure :rolleyes:

Indeed. Which is why they’ve been proactive in making sure of their facts before making decisions. You know, thinking before talking.

Over 10,000 people are involved in the greyhound industry. They are putting much more into the country’s coffers than what they’ve gotten back.

I am not even slightly angry. I also haven't used the words genocide - or rubbish/idiotic for that matter.

I have said trying to shoehorn in discussion about irresponsible pet ownership is deflection - and you keep doing it. BTW - greyhounds end up in pound too. And the lucky one's get taken out by rescues who try and rehome them. Which is more than their owners do.

You still haven't provided any plausible evidence for where the "unaccounted" pups have gone.

There is no plausible evidence for the unaccounted pups. Which is why IGB commissioned the report. No one can act on something without facts. They now have those facts and are acting on them.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Do you think it would be possible to reinvent the greyhound racing industry as one that primarily cares about the welfare of the dogs?

Yes.

I figured when we finished up that there was just too much breeding going on with no high level planning.

The premise of the RTE program was that there was over production which had all these knock on effects. I agree with that.

If they restrict the number of pups every year this will make dogs more valuable.
    They could then include a tariff on registration to look after the dogs after racing it.
    Everything would be more manageable for the IGB and ICC if they knew how many pups where coming and from where on an annual basis.

This is a DRASTIC overhaul which could never have possibly been attempted - until this week.

I disagree - it is not a deflection- that it is part of a much wider and bigger problem with dog ownership.

Bolded bit - Again that's the point made relating to that article. We don't know. The figures are disputed. The article is quite clear on that. Yes I hope there is a full inquirey as to what is going on. Then we will know.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Which is why they’ve been proactive in making sure of their facts before making decisions. You know, thinking before talking.

Over 10,000 people are involved in the greyhound industry. They are putting much more into the country’s coffers than what they’ve gotten back.

Source for the 10,000 people involved? If it's contributing so much to the nation's coffers, it doesn't need subsidies then, correct?

Gambling's not a sustainable business - it's a vice, and as such fades when times get bad. Nor does it add anything to society as a whole. Further, encouraging addictive behavior like gambling costs society. Ireland does a pretty poor job handling gambling or other addictions, too. So, I'd submit that greyhound racing costs the government and the taxpayer quite a bit more.

These dying tracks with 20 people attending a race a couple times a week, aren't supporting 10,000 jobs. 8a.m. races that can be bet on from Singapore don't do anything other than pad some bookies coffers (likely mostly in SIngapore with a sop to Ireland.)

It's the 13-16 million funnelled to the parasitic bookies is all that's happening. I doubt there's more than a few thousand jobs involved, all of which could be transitioned to something productive, not entertainment and vice which is all greyhound racing is. Let alone the horror that is coursing.

Shut it down, with all the money involved and the fact that it feeds an addiction, it's a heinous industry. The callous disregard for these animals is just one of many problems and why it's dying and should be terminated as soon as possible.

I disagree - it is not a deflection- that it is part of a much wider and bigger problem with dog ownership.

Again that's the point made relating to that article. We don't know. The figures are disputed. The article is quite clear on that. Yes I hope there is a full inquirey as to what is going on. Then we will know.

Deflection. Here's a deflection back - if there were no greyhound 'industry', there'd be far fewer pups produced and less stress on the adoption services, regardless of how well or poorly Ireland handles dogs. Since this is a subsidized industry, the government can choose to stop subsidizing it and therefore fewer pups that may need homing. Easy.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Source for the 10,000 people involved? If it's contributing so much to the nation's coffers, it doesn't need subsidies then, correct?Gambling's not a sustainable business - it's a vice, and as such fades when times get bad. Nor does it add anything to society as a whole. Further, encouraging addictive behavior like gambling costs society. Ireland does a pretty poor job handling gambling or other addictions, too. So, I'd submit that greyhound racing costs the government and the taxpayer quite a bit more.
    These dying tracks with 20 people attending a race a couple times a week, aren't supporting 10,000 jobs. 8a.m. races that can be bet on from Singapore don't do anything other than pad some bookies coffers (likely mostly in SIngapore with a sop to Ireland.)It's the 13-16 million funnelled to the parasitic bookies is all that's happening. I doubt there's more than a few thousand jobs involved, all of which could be transitioned to something productive, not entertainment and vice which is all greyhound racing is. Let alone the horror that is coursing.
    Shut it down, with all the money involved and the fact that it feeds an addiction, it's a heinous industry. The callous disregard for these animals is just one of many problems and why it's dying and should be terminated as soon as possible.

All thats a bit kitchen sinkish no? Lots of sectors recieve subsidies eg roads, employment, transport, all types of sports, age related services etc and not all by any means "contribute to the nations coffer" directly or even indirectly.

As for gambling- this is already effectively state sanctioned eg the lottery. Does this feed an addiction? Possibly - however the government doesnt seem to be overtly concerned there tbh. If you believe it is a "vice" then that's fine - it does not mean that others should concur as to that sentiment tbh. To mix a few metaphors - perhaps rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater and tarring everyone with the same brush - we need to find what the truth is. It remains that at the moment the report that the RTE programme highlighted is under dispute.

Deflection. Here's a deflection back - if there were no greyhound 'industry', there'd be far fewer pups produced and less stress on the adoption services, regardless of how well or poorly Ireland handles dogs. Since this is a subsidized industry, the government can choose to stop subsidizing it and therefore fewer pups that may need homing. Easy.

Ditto what's good for the goose and etc - if there was no dog industry full stop. No mass breeding of pups, no puppy farms- if there were no dog 'industry', there'd be far fewer pups produced and less stress on the adoption services, Since this is a subsidized industry in the form of pounds and dog inspectors etc the government can choose to stop subsidizing irresponsible owners across the board. Easy.

And yes that's joking. But yes it is a very serious issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

It’s crazy they’re getting 16million when the fai gets 3 is it??

16million.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    It’s crazy they’re getting 16million when the fai gets 3 is it??

16million.

€99.6 million since 2010.

Source for the 10,000 people involved? If it's contributing so much to the nation's coffers, it doesn't need subsidies then, correct?

Gambling's not a sustainable business - it's a vice, and as such fades when times get bad. Nor does it add anything to society as a whole. Further, encouraging addictive behavior like gambling costs society. Ireland does a pretty poor job handling gambling or other addictions, too. So, I'd submit that greyhound racing costs the government and the taxpayer quite a bit more.

These dying tracks with 20 people attending a race a couple times a week, aren't supporting 10,000 jobs. 8a.m. races that can be bet on from Singapore don't do anything other than pad some bookies coffers (likely mostly in SIngapore with a sop to Ireland.)

It's the 13-16 million funnelled to the parasitic bookies is all that's happening. I doubt there's more than a few thousand jobs involved, all of which could be transitioned to something productive, not entertainment and vice which is all greyhound racing is. Let alone the horror that is coursing.

You aren't really here for a conversation just a rant.

You have conflated two massive issues and thrown in a few more for good measure.
    If you want to debate all of these separatley I would be happy to enlighten you on a few different aspects of what has gone wrong with
    1) The greyhound industry
    2)The gambling industry
    3)the pros and cons of coursing

given that I have a lot of experience with them all, have been dissapointed with the way they are being regulated, but think they all have a place in society if done right.

However that feels rather futile.

Leaving out the betting companies, there are roughly 10,000 people employed in all parts of the greyhound industry. From IGB, stadium staff, public trainers and their employees, greyhound stud keepers and their employees, private trainers, breeders, schooling tracks, suppliers of feed, vets, stadium suppliers ie food and drink....I’m sure that I’ve forgotten some

....I’m sure that I’ve forgotten some

Knackeries.
    Cocaine suppliers.
    Skip hire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Leaving out the betting companies, there are roughly 10,000 people employed in all parts of the greyhound industry. From IGB, stadium staff, public trainers and their employees, greyhound stud keepers and their employees, private trainers, breeders, schooling tracks, suppliers of feed, vets, stadium suppliers ie food and drink....I’m sure that I’ve forgotten some
    How many of those are actually reliant on the greyhound industry for their livelihood? 10k is sensationalist......

Advertisement