Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Actually after filming the first one, they are equally to blame. Calling the Gardai might just have saved the subsequent deaths on that premises.

You do know it was a hidden camera yeah. Not a film crew standing across the road with a director shouting action. You don't seem to know much about documentary film-making. The footage would have been watched long after the event.

You think the Gardaí are going to put a stake-out there? Go undercover maybe?

Or are you suggesting callous greyhound owners so secure that they can get away with it they will rock up even when there is a squad car sitting outside?

This has to be one of the most pathetic deflections yet - It's the film makers fault.

No. It isn't.
    It's the dog owners fault.
    It's the Knackeries fault.
    NO- ONE ELSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Did you ever hear the expression ‘ Mad as a March hare’ ? I could say you’re as mad as a March .... i’ll Probably be banned

Hares get very dopey in March- that’s when they’re breeding and sometime you could nearly walk up to one and pick him up; their gestation period is 6 weeks and they have leverets in grass nests in May. The coursing season is Oct-Jan - there are no pregnant hares my dear dear friend in the middle of winter( it’s sort of evolutionary as the young would perish) ..... did I say something about mis information in this debate

I rest my case.
    I swore I wouldn't engage with you...but Jebus you're as slow as the rest of your buddies. The Irish Cup ( You might have heard of it, maybe not :rolleyes:) has been held on pretty much the last week of February for quite a few years now (a month after the end of January just to let you know how wrong you are). I have walked the Hare Pen after the Meet and every year there are several still-born/dead leverets in the pen.

BTW, why would you pick 'him' up if it's the breeding season in March ???? Surely that would be 'her'. I suppose this just shows the brainpower of the average coursing enthusiast.

jackboy wrote: »
    You just made all of that up. This sort of stuff should be in the conspiracy theory thread.
    Oh I see. What you're saying is that there are special Hare Trainers that teach them how to find the escape hatch ?
    Jesus wept....the ****e on here just gets worse.

As for the Hare netting numbers ( and moving Hares from one meet to the next) that's all fact. Either you are aware of it and trying to deny it...or you just know f~ck-all about coursing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

So, you support the filming of greyhounds being shot in the head and sitting idly by? I thought that you were an animal lover “

Documentary makers are not sitting idly by. They got the entire country to see that what they maybe thought to be a benign quaint past-time is in fact a murderous machine.

Did you see the inspection part of the documentary? These people don't care, they'll wait for the authorities to leave and they'll keep filling their skips. Did you see the coursing retired garda part? Did he care? They are utterly corrupt, the system has failed.

These people and most importantly the owners who bring dogs to them or to the vets to be killed need to be dealt with, systemically. And the whole shameful "entertainment" needs to lose public support, which thankfully is exactly what is happening. So many conversations heard at work, so many people had their eyes open. Going the way of dancing bears now. I am grateful for this documentary and thankful that they showed it all unblinking, as horrible as it was to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭jackboy

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Oh I see. What you're saying is that there are special Hare Trainers that teach them how to find the escape hatch ?
    Jesus wept....the ****e on here just gets worse.

As for the Hare netting numbers ( and moving Hares from one meet to the next) that's all fact. Either you are aware of it and trying to deny it...or you just know f~ck-all about coursing.

Getting abusive when you are caught out. And yes, you were caught out making stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

I swore I wouldn't engage with you...but Jebus you're as slow as the rest of your buddies. The Irish Cup ( You might have heard of it, maybe not :rolleyes:) has been held on pretty much the last week of February for quite a few years now (a month after the end of January just to let you know how wrong you are). I have walked the Hare Pen after the Meet and every year there are several still-born/dead leverets in the pen.

BTW, why would you pick 'him' up if it's the breeding season in March ???? Surely that would be 'her'. I suppose this just shows the brainpower of the average coursing enthusiast.

It’s predominantly a winter sport is the point I’m making -again head for the emotional angle with your pregnant hares crack- tugging on the heart stings -why why why are ye always mining the emotive argument and substituting it for the facts.

We’ve so far in this debate abstained from ‘knuckle dragging’ insults as a debating tool - take note

It’s predominantly a winter sport is the point I’m making -again head for the emotional angle with your pregnant hares crack- tugging on the heart stings -why why why are ye always mining the emotive argument and substituting it for the facts.

Funny how it was perfectly fine to give us your "happy Mr Hare" fable :rolleyes:

The coursing season is Oct-Jan - there are no pregnant hares my dear dear friend in the middle of winter( it’s sort of evolutionary as the young would perish) ..... did I say something about mis information in this debate

I rest my case.

Hmmmmm...
    Best of luck from Berkie and all at Browne Bookmakers to all those involved in the 94th National Coursing Meeting from 3rd to 5th February 2019 from Management to Slippers and Tipsters and May the Best Dog Win!
    http://www.betbrowne.com/

Kilflynn Fri,Sat,Sun27,28,29 Sept

Liscannor Sat ,Sun 28,29 Sept

Fedamore Open Sun 9 Feb
    Duleek Open Sun 9 Feb

Irish Cup Fri.Sat,Sun 21,22,23 Feb

https://irishcoursingclub.ie/fixtures/

Case dismissed.

strandroad wrote: »
    Funny how it was perfectly fine to give us your "happy Mr Hare" fable :rolleyes:

I didn’t introduce Mr Hare- it was the other ‘side’!

jackboy wrote: »
    Getting abusive when you are caught out. And yes, you were caught out making stuff up.
    Sorry, but what exactly did I 'make up' ?
    Apart from yourself saying "it's not like that" I have not had anybody catch me out :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »

wait til I see ...30 days had September...

It’s getting ridiculous now

wait til I see ...30 days had September...

It’s getting ridiculous now

No.

It's gotten deadly serious now.

65386337_2581339905212642_3934850630580961280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQm8HAWP1RrrTPqB5zwZRGSC8AGVDitTnfpFU7JzxFmNU1oytl5qoWrYyI2WPhfy5P0&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=c423bcb9aef830f41add828000f2bf65&oe=5D7B3ADF

We’ve so far in this debate abstained from ‘knuckle dragging’ insults as a debating tool - take note

It's a fact that in a previous post you stated that the Coursing season runs from Oct to Jan.
    It's also a fact that the coursing season really runs from Sep to the very end of Feb.
    This very simply makes it a fact that your facts are not facts at all...therefore they must be Lies. Why should anybody believe any of your other nonsense if you cannot get the basic stuff right :rolleyes:
    As for the emotional angle, I simply stated what I have seen. You stated that it couldn't happen. You were very much mistaken.

With regard to the 'knuckle-dragging' comment, please take note of the UK contingent at your next Meet, as well as most of the Irish Owners. If you can't see what I mean that just puts you in the middle of that demographic.

It's a fact that in a previous post you stated that the Coursing season runs from Oct to Jan.
    It's also a fact that the coursing season really runs from Sep to the very end of Feb.

It's right there on the ICC website like. Clearly giving dates in Feb and September. Took me all of 10 seconds to find it.

This very simply makes it a fact that your facts are not facts at all...therefore they must be Lies. Why should anybody believe any of your other nonsense if you cannot get the basic stuff right :rolleyes:
    As for the emotional angle, I simply stated what I have seen. You stated that it couldn't happen. You were very much mistaken.

With regard to the 'knuckle-dragging' comment, please take note of the UK contingent at your next Meet, as well as most of the Irish Owners. If you can't see what I mean that just puts you in the middle of that demographic.

The old enemy argument is out now too!

there are a handful of dates in Sept/Feb -of course you won’t post Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan dates just for effect;

You’re suggesting coursing clubs are all running meetings with the use of pregnant hares(many) in the middle of winter which is just again not true.

Oh how will we try and deal them another blow- let’s not say theyre using hares they’re using PREGNANT hares!

I’ve watched this type of tactic from the anti blood sport people since the 80’s and they’re no further down the road now at getting a ban than they were then- the public aren’t stupid in the same way people are wise to the Chinese footage on PTI.

there are a handful of dates in Sept/Feb -of course you won’t post Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan dates just for effect;

You’re suggesting coursing clubs are all running meetings with the use of pregnant hares(many) in the middle of winter which is just again not true.

Oh how will we try and deal them another blow- let’s not say theyre using hares they’re using PREGNANT hares!

I’ve watched this type of tactic from the anti blood sport people since the 80’s and they’re no further down the road now at getting a ban than they were then- the public aren’t stupid in the same way people are wise to the Chinese footage on PTI.

You said the coursing season is Oct to Jan.
    It isn't. It's Sept to Feb. The ICC's own fixture list confirm you are wrong.

You said hares breed in March.
    Hares get very dopey in March- that’s when they’re breeding and sometime you could nearly walk up to one and pick him up; their gestation period is 6 weeks and they have leverets in grass nests in May

The actual experts in hares say:
    Female Irish hares have been recorded breeding in nearly every month of the year. However, peak breeding probably occurs during spring and summer. Each female may produce two to three litters per year.
    https://www.vincentwildlife.ie/species/irish-hare

Can you see what is happening here?
    You make a statement where you act all knowledgeable but provide no supporting links.
    Those statements get fact checked.
    You are shown to be incorrect and the links are supplied to prove this.

The more you post your 'facts' the more you are showing that you actually don't seem to know what you are talking about. So carry on Straffen. I can fact check all night.

Apparently Bank of Ireland and FBD have said they will no longer sponsor greyhound racing.

You guys just look for enemies . And make it so easy to find some

I didn't post any dates . I just stated that your dates were total BS.
    I stated that a particular meet in my locality used females (some of which were pregnant). This was in response to your 'Mr Hare' comment.

Have a quick look at the above reply.

I never claimed to be anti-blood sport. More just anti coursing. Mainly down to the type of individual involved.

You said the coursing season is Oct to Jan.
    It isn't. It's Sept to Feb. The ICC's own fixture list confirm you are wrong.

You said hares breed in March. .

The actual experts in hares say:
    https://www.vincentwildlife.ie/species/irish-hare

Can you see what is happening here?
    You make a statement where you act all knowledgeable but provide no supporting links.
    Those statements get fact checked.
    You are shown to be incorrect and the links are supplied to prove this.

The more you post your 'facts' the more you are showing that you actually don't seem to know what you are talking about. So carry on Straffen. I can fact check all night.

..and that equates to ‘many hares’ used by coursing clubs are pregnant does it ? This type of fallacy can be blown out of the water every time.

I don’t see the masses rowing in here against this dreadful evil sport of Greyhound racing/Coursing and terrified hares and cruelty and on and on and on -even on boards.ie;
    Did it even make Joe Duffy?

There was fierce excitement after PTI that it’d be all wrapped up by next Monday for ICABS and ye’d be away onto Angling or whatever the next crusade.
    You generally seem to have the head screwed on and know what your talking about but when you’re resorting to defending the’ knuckle dragging’ comment man the troops must be thin on the ground!

Wrong forum in fairness.
    Move it over to After Hours and it would get better coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Apparently Bank of Ireland and FBD have said they will no longer sponsor greyhound racing.

Good.

Hopefully the trickle turns into a flood.

..and that equates to ‘many hares’ used by coursing clubs are pregnant does it ? This type of fallacy can be blown out of the water every time.

God. That's great. You mean you actually do a scan on every female prior to her 'only' run ?
    Otherwise you're really still talking s***e.

And again (as you obviously don't pay attention) I am referring to one particular meet in late Feb.

God. That's great. You mean you actually do a scan on every female prior to her 'only' run ?
    Otherwise you're really still talking s***e.

And again (as you obviously don't pay attention) I am referring to one particular meet in late Feb.

So the NPWS rangers and Vets who inspect and provide written reports on all hares before running are turning a blind eye to all these pregnant hares-
    why don't you take that up with DAFM and the Veterinary Council of Ireland about the abject failure of their officials?

Again trying to suggest this is some backyard cockfight sort of a thing that comes to Clonmel- people don’t buy this bulls****- if all these type of things are happening I’d ban the thing myself - in fact I’d be at the top of the que!

I don’t see the masses rowing in here against this dreadful evil sport of Greyhound racing/Coursing and terrified hares and cruelty and on and on and on -even on boards.ie;
    Did it even make Joe Duffy?

There was fierce excitement after PTI that it’d be all wrapped up by next Monday for ICABS and ye’d be away onto Angling or whatever the next crusade.
    You generally seem to have the head screwed on and know what your talking about but when you’re resorting to defending the’ knuckle dragging’ comment man the troops must be thin on the ground!

Dear Lord man do you read your own posts at all?

I even quoted yourself for you.

You claimed that hares breed in MARCH and give birth in MAY therefore no hare can be pregnant during the coursing season which you also claimed runs from Oct to Jan.

The facts are that hares breed all year, have up to 3 litters a year, and can therefore be pregnant while being chased during the Coursing season which actually runs from Sept to Feb.

Unless the hare has a fecking ultrasound there is absolutely no way you can categorically state (which you did!) that no hares are pregnant while being chased.

Are you now going to tell me there are little portable ultrasounds that are wheeled out before every coursing event to check?

Dear Lord man do you read your own posts at all?

I even quoted yourself for you.

You claimed that hares breed in MARCH and give birth in MAY therefore no hare can be pregnant during the coursing season which you also claimed runs from Oct to Jan.

The facts are that hares breed all year, have up to 3 litters a year, and can therefore be pregnant while being chased during the Coursing season which actually runs from Sept to Feb.

Unless the hare has a fecking ultrasound there is absolutely no way you can categorically state (which you did!) that no hares are pregnant while being chased.

Are you now going to tell me there are little portable ultrasounds that are wheeled out before every coursing event to check?

Again - take up your concerns with the Veterinary Officals who provide written reports on these animals- if there was widespread pregnant hares there’d be no coursing - end of story; this is just mud slinging now and I think i’ll have to sign off here now folks!

And then little x-rays to check for their broken bones afterwards!

@Straffan1979,
    Nobody mentioned 'widespread pregnant hares' (apart from yourself of course).
    Nobody mentioned Clonmel (again apart from yourself).
    I said that every year in late Feb that I found stillborn/dead leverets after the meet in the Hare Pen.
    You claimed that this was impossible due to the Hares Breeding Calendar. you were proved wrong.
    Nothing more, nothing less...with regard to some pregnant hares being coursed

Again - take up your concerns with the Veterinary Officals who provide written reports on these animals- if there was widespread pregnant hares there’d be no coursing - end of story; this is just mud slinging now and I think i’ll have to sign off here now folks!

Look.
    No one is mud slinging.
    You are being shown to have posted incorrect information and if you want to stomp off in a huff so be it.
    Perhaps you genuinely believe what you posted, But that doesn't make it correct.

The fact is that those hares being chased could very well be pregnant. That is the truth of it whether you are comfortable with that knowledge or not is up to you to decide.

strandroad wrote: »
    And then little x-rays to check for their broken bones afterwards!

It’s very very weak reasoning;

if this type of barbarity was part of coursing it would be banned long ages ago; it’s back to trying to discredit and paint people in the Greyhound Industry as some sort of savages who engage freely in brutish type of behavior ( -them knuckle draggers as ur man refered to) .

ICABS have been mining this angle for time and eternity and the public haven’t bought it; the Chinese dog in pot thing is the latest manifestation of this tactic- As I said near the start of this thread I’m taking that particular footage up with Broadcasting Commission.

• Advertisement

Look.
    No one is mud slinging.
    You are being shown to have posted incorrect information and if you want to stomp off in a huff so be it.
    Perhaps you genuinely believe what you posted, But that doesn't make it correct.

The fact is that those hares being chased could very well be pregnant. That is the truth of it whether you are comfortable with that knowledge or not is up to you to decide.

All I can tell you is to go and get them reports of the condition of the hares provided by the Veterinary Surgeons and NPWS officials under FOI- if then you find all this type of macabre practices I’ll be out of the game myself.

Advertisement