Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Finished being condescending?You have been banging the whatabout these other dogs drum for days. Where is your thread about that?
    Nowhere, much like the decent greyhound owners protests and the industry they are involved in. You prefer to try and deflect and derail this thread.

Truth hurts? It was a rant. But keep blaming everyone - that should work alright..

gozunda wrote: »
    You deny there are over 10,000 dogs taken in by pounds each year over the last 5 years? Really?
    The problem is the highlighted issues of the greyhound industry are only part of a much bigger malaise when it comes to dogs and breeding. And that is the POINT. Deny that all you like

You’re coming across as desperate now.

This thread is about the RTÉ documentary last Wednesday about Greyhound racing.

It’s not about puppy farming and dog pounds. There have been other threads about that.

Stick your head in the sand all your like but you’ve lost the GREYHOUND argument a long time ago.

You’re coming across as desperate now. This thread is about the RTÉ documentary last Wednesday about Greyhounds. It’s not about puppy farming and dog pounds. There have been other threads about that.Stick your head in the sand all your like but you’ve lost the GREYHOUND argument a long time ago.

Lol.

Jeez it's like some are deliberately deaf for some strange reason. The other poster asked which other sector where there could there be unaccounted animals

And I answered. If you dont like the truth of that answer tough.

Btw it's supposed to be a discussion and not an "argument" (sic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Discodog wrote: »
    I haven't mentioned Pound statistics because they have nothing to do with this thread except when they refer to Greyhounds.

He acts like greyhounds aren't among the dogs put into pounds.
    Dogs Trust also drew particular attention to the issues facing registered greyhounds in Ireland.

Last year saw a 15% increase on the number of such greyhounds entering pounds. Of those 215, 180 were surrendered by their owners, and 80 (37%) were destroyed.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dog-control-statistics-4022256-May2018/

If gozunda wants to start a thread about puppy farms and the Pounds I'll be there with facts, figures, the steps being taken by welfare groups to have transparency in some of the most notorious closed pounds (Cork County for example) etc etc but he seems unwilling to do that.

We've heard it all before over & over & over again. What will happen to the thousands of unwanted pups every year ?

They haven't promised to stop killing but have said that it must be done by a Vet. Still thousands of dead dogs.

It’s been signed into law. Have a read. https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/act/2019/15/eng/enacted/a1519.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Why did it take until 2019 when these issues have been highlighted for years?

Why did it take RTE to get them to finally start talking about these great changes they are thinking of making?

Too Little.
    Too Late.

And they will still kill thousands of dogs - they are just changing the method.

So no Greyhounds will be killed from now on ?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,729 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please stop deflecting over and over again from this single issue? it does nothing except invalidate your arguments

Yes there are problems in many areas but YES there is a huge problem re greyhounds as the thread title specifically says.

That is what is under discussion.
    Moderator: on the one hand you're complaining about another member not engaging with the points made while at the same time utterly failing to engage with any points yourself. It's borderline for backseat modding too.

No more posts like this please.

And they will still kill thousands of dogs - they are just changing the method.

Discodog , are you unilaterally against dogs being humanly euthanized? It seems that way tbh.

Truth hurts? It was a rant. But keep blaming everyone - that should work alright..

Don't like what a poster is saying = call it a rant.
    Don't like discussion of culling of greyhounds = talk about pounds.
    Don't like it being shown how unscrupulous some greyhound breeders are = complain the ordinary greyhound owner is being blamed for a minority.

Sure... I'm blaming everyone.

• Advertisement

Why did it take until 2019 when these issues have been highlighted for years?

Why did it take RTE to get them to finally start talking about these great changes they are thinking of making?

Too Little.
    Too Late.

See post 726

Discodog , are you unilaterally against dogs being humanly euthanized? It seems that way tbh.

Yes if they are healthy of course I am. Aren't you ?

So no Greyhounds will be killed from now on ?

Gee, you read that quickly!

It hasn't been enacted so it isn't law yet.
    Some Acts can wait years before being enacted.

Gee, you read that quickly!

Can you please answer the question ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You deny there are over 10,000 dogs taken in by pounds each year over the last 5 years? Really?
    The problem is the highlighted issues of the greyhound industry are only part of a much bigger malaise when it comes to dogs and breeding. And that is the POINT. Deny that all you like

Look the other way
    Look the other way
    Look the other way

Too late. IGB had 60 years to get their house in order and they didn't. They are not going to now.

All Barry's Tea social media are overrun with people expressing their disgust (the sponsored Cork races as recently as past week). Lifelong BT drinkers are dropping them; a cup of tea does not look as comforting with a skip of dead dogs in the background.

You claim that they’re doing nothing. When it’s pointed out to you that they are, you still complain!

You claim that they’re doing nothing. When it’s pointed out to you that they are, you still complain!

To save us all reading it, can you confirm that no more Greyhounds will be killed ?

Don't like what a poster is saying = call it a rant.Don't like discussion of culling of greyhounds = talk about pounds.Don't like it being shown how unscrupulous some greyhound breeders are = complain the ordinary greyhound owner is being blamed for a minority.Sure... I'm blaming everyone.

Yes the comment was a rant - and unlike your reply I didnt personalise my reply. But no bother.

You clearly have not read my comments if you believe I haven't pointed out problems in the greyhound industry. I'd suggest you reread them. But yes you have blamed everyone and even said ordinary greyhound owners are culpable. :mad:

From Igb site https://www.igb.ie/talking-dogs/irish-greyhound-board-statement-28th-june-2019/
    “IRISH GREYHOUND BOARD STATEMENT: 28TH JUNE, 2019
    IGB

This statement does not address overbreeding or exports at all; the new legislation does not either, due to IGB and prominent owners lobbying.

It's all window dressing.

• Advertisement

Yes if they are healthy of course I am. Aren't you ?

So where there are more dogs than available homes or responsible owners - you still believe that?

It's toothless. Anything potentially effective was removed in the process. I admit that I have not read the full 60 pages so I am open to correction but summaries were saying that there are no provisions to address overbreeding or exports, the industry is supposed to self regulate.

Can you please answer the question ?

No. I cannot say that dogs won’t be killed in the future. Any more than I can say that people won’t be! It’s pointed out to you and other posters that IGB are taking steps to rectify the situation and ensure traceability but you’re still not happy. Nothing I can say or do will satisfy you.

Now, there’s a decent card in Shelbourne tonight so I must bow out and get ready for a good night out with friends. Tonight is also the final of the English greyhound Derby which has 4 Irish trainers competing. Shelbourne Park is the place to be for those who cannot travel to Nottingham.

They aren't.
    They are talking about doing something.
    Talk is cheap.

So where there are more dogs than available homes or responsible owners - you still believe that?

It's really simple. If you breed dogs it's your responsibility to find them good caring homes. If you own a dogs it's your responsibly to look after it until it dies of natural causes.

It should be illegal to breed dogs & then kill the ones that you don't want.

Greyhounds are dogs, not some sub species.

Yes it was a rant - and unlike your reply I didnt personalise my reply. But no bother.

You clearly have not read my comments if you believe I haven't pointed out problems in the greyhound industry. I'd suggest you reread them. But yes you have blamed everyone and even called ordinary greyhound owners 'culpable'. :mad:

Pointing out your tactics is not 'personalising'.

If a person participates in the greyhound industry, regardless of whether they have one dog or 100, they are part and parcel of what is happening.
    So yes, they are complicit. Which is what I said.

No. I cannot say that dogs won’t be killed in the future. Any more than I can say that people won’t be! It’s pointed out to you and other posters that IGB are taking steps to rectify the situation and ensure traceability but you’re still not happy. Nothing I can say or do will satisfy you.

Now, there’s a decent card in Shelbourne tonight so I must bow out and get ready for a good night out with friends. Tonight is also the final of the English greyhound Derby which has 4 Irish trainers competing. Shelbourne Park is the place to be for those who cannot travel to Nottingham.

Good luck with finding Vets to do all that killing.

Pointing out your tactics is not 'personalising'.

If a person participates in the greyhound industry, regardless of whether they have one dog or 100, they are part and parcel of what is happening.
    So yes, they are complicit. Which is what I said.

Plus they fund the industry through entrance fees, subscriptions etc. If all the members left then the industry would die.

It's really simple. If you breed dogs it's your responsibility to find them good caring homes. If you own a dogs it's your responsibly to look after it until it dies of natural causes.It should be illegal to breed dogs & then kill the ones that you don't want.
    Greyhounds are dogs, not some sub species.

Should? Perhaps you should set up a petition or campaign for all that to be made into a reality for all dogs across the board.

The fact is healthy dogs are often put down even - it's not illegal atm afaik.

In the meantime I have to go deal with the latest stray which has been dumped here. Not being speciest - I wont' reveal what breed it is ...

• Advertisement

Should? Perhaps you should set up a petition or campaign for all that to be made into a reality for all dogs across the board.

The fact is healthy dogs are often put down even - it's not illegal atm afaik.

In the meantime I have to go deal with the latest stray which has been dumped here. Not being speciest - I wont' reveal what breed it is ...

I already did. A dog isn't just for Christmas - remember

Advertisement