Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Enough deflecting to bad social media behavior. Greyhound racing should still be banned. Nothing from the IGB over the last few days changes it.
    If we can't ban export of greyhounds for whatever reasons are cooked up (and again, laws can be changed), then fine, ban it entirely stem to stern.

It might starve due to loss of sponsorships, but I doubt it, it's a seedy, addiction-based industry and those do go underground. Of course, an extra 16 million available for enforcement might keep it from becoming viable even underground.

I'm truly sorry for those that will lose their livelihoods. I know greyhound breeders that are responsible individuals who take excellent care of their animals. They're also older, and not planning to keep doing this forever, all have contemplated dropping out. Haven't seen them since the documentary aired, will seek them out and get their opinions.

It's a sad reflection on Ireland that it's lasted this long, but the industry can't be saved from itself and it's worse excesses are horrifyingly cruel.

But it has to go. Cancers sometime just need to be excised, no amount of treatment works (this isn't calling greyhound racing a cancer, just an explanation for what some might see as an extremist position)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Don't want to watch the documentary but for some reason the greyhound racing industry has been continually propped up by the government to a level far greater than it's importance to society.

I completely understand funding sports whether it's GAA,Soccer,Rugby,Tennis,Golf,Athletics,Swimming, Cricket etc etc put funding for an "industry" which just exists for the purposes of gambling and is provides a zero benefit for society (every other sport does have genuine benefits for society) is ridiculous and yet the greyhound industry for some reason has been some sort of sacred cow.

There is also a huge difference between sports where people voluntarily take part and greyhound racing where the dogs are conscripted.

Graces7 wrote: »
    There is also a huge difference between sports where people voluntarily take part and greyhound racing where the dogs are conscripted.

A day I'd never thought I'd see happen on Boards. I agree with Graces7 on something. I guess miracles *can* happen.

The dog gets no choice. The breeders, trainers, gamblers all have one, they can simply stop.

Let alone the horror of coursing and it's impacts on the rabbits. I'm no fan of rabbits, they're a garden pest (but agreed they are beautiful to watch run around the yard, especially when I'm chasing them.) They don't deserve to be cultivated by humans for a tiny sport that is essentially designed around killing rabbits, even though nowadays they don't directly kill them. And what a waste of resources, frankly, to have to provide vet care etc for rabbits. Just leave them alone. If you want to preserve them, prevent construction in their habitats by buying it up.

How can you make death threats against a company ???
    You can make them against a person and yes that is an offence ........ but against Barry’s Tea? Is someone going to kill Barry’s Tea? Like buy every tea bag in the country and burn it to death ?

You’re clutching at straws again :D:D

( i stayed up late last night reading the FB posts on Barry’s Tea page and adding my own. I didn’t see any death threats to the tea bags, just people saying they’re switching to Lyons. I prefer Twinings :))

I have never been a tea drinker .... would though abandon any product on these
    grounds

Igotadose wrote: »
    A day I'd never thought I'd see happen on Boards. I agree with Graces7 on something. I guess miracles *can* happen.

The dog gets no choice. The breeders, trainers, gamblers all have one, they can simply stop.

Let alone the horror of coursing and it's impacts on the rabbits. I'm no fan of rabbits, they're a garden pest (but agreed they are beautiful to watch run around the yard, especially when I'm chasing them.) They don't deserve to be cultivated by humans for a tiny sport that is essentially designed around killing rabbits, even though nowadays they don't directly kill them. And what a waste of resources, frankly, to have to provide vet care etc for rabbits. Just leave them alone. If you want to preserve them, prevent construction in their habitats by buying it up.

You made my day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

DubInMeath wrote: »
    They fall under the auspices of the department of agriculture, who determine the legislation specifically for them as racing dogs with how they are to be medically treated, bought and sold etc

All animal welfare including domestic pets was moved from the Dept of Enviroment to Agriculture. The 24 hour animal cruelty line is run by the DofAg.

I see no reason why the welfare laws should prevent cruelty prosecutions regarding Greyhounds. There are exemptions & amendments in the Animal Welfare Act specifically referring to Greyhounds but the "normal" laws apply to every breed concerning cruelty.

One could argue that farm animals are better protected than pets.

We all know that you meant Hares before someone leaps in to correct you ;)

gozunda wrote: »
    Straw clutching is right...

Well with all the deflection & whataboutery you are an expert on that subject :rolleyes:

I assume that you disapprove of all protest or just those opposing cruel sports ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭jackboy

Discodog wrote: »
    We all know that you meant Hares before someone leaps in to correct you ;)

I thought the same until he mentioned ‘garden pest’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well with all the deflection & whataboutery you are an expert on that subject :I assume that you disapprove of all protest or just those opposing cruel sports ?

Btween the daft comments as above and a vast array of unique assumptions - it leaves little to be said tbh. But eitherway read my comments above - if you are in any doubt - its fully detailed there. And note I said nothing about 'protest' rather organised online intimidation and bullying campaigns.

You talk of cruelty - you keep pets / dogs - are you like some who consider that to be cruelty? If not why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Tracey's Hotel Waterford are pulling their sponsorship
    In an email to ICABS, it stated: "Thank you for your concern on the Greyhound scandal...With the new revelations of some unscrupulous trainers that was broadcast on the RTE program, we at Treacy’s Hotel have pulled our sponsorship from all greyhound related events. We hope with this action and other businesses pulling sponsorship, will help stop the unjust cruelty and this sport will become humane and just."

Botanica had been supplying products not money but will no longer do so:
    Botanica International Ltd are appalled by what has been going on in the Greyhound industry and yes we have donated products in the past as a prize, but never any Money and I can assure everyone it was done for the benefit of the Dogs and Not the Industry, as a lot of Veterinarians and Animal Welfare Charities use our products. After seeing the program on RTE I was mortified and couldn't comprehend how any person could be so unnecessary Cruel and Evil to any living creature never mind Mans Best Friend, One need only look at the Botanica International Ltd Facebook page and my own personal page, Sean Cooney Botanica to see where we are coming from.

I would like to make it abundantly clear that Botanica International Ltd will Not be supporting any Greyhound Racing in any shape or form and hasn't in the last year.

I would consider myself as a strong person and certainly not squeamish, but what that program exposed about the industry made me totally Sick.

Sean Cooney.

Neither of those statements mention being intimidated - they do mention "unjust cruelty" and being "mortified" to have been involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Imagine people were as keen about helping disadvantaged kids as they are about dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Nobelium wrote: »
    Imagine people were as keen about helping disadvantaged kids as they are about dogs

You know people are able to be concerned about more than one thing at once?

Who says you can't do both?

Imagine that.

People with empathy showing empathy.

Other people just content themselves with posting silly comments anonymously on-line which is no help to kids or dogs.

batgoat wrote: »
    You know people are able to be concerned about more than one thing at once?

sure, that's why there's thread and boycotts being proposed elsewhere on the forum to support disadvantaged kids . .oh wait

Hey, look over there!

Well, imagine, people that can do both. Whoulda thunk.

sure, that's why there's thread and boycotts being proposed elsewhere on the forum to support disadvantaged kids . .oh wait

Have we missed your proposals on Boards? Do provide the links so. As I recall from others of your posts, kids advocacy isn't exactly a theme with you.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Tracey's Hotel Waterford are pulling their sponsorship

[Qoute]In an email to ICABS, it stated: "Thank you for your concern on the Greyhound ...

Botanica had been supplying products not money but will no longer do so:
    Neither of those statements mention being intimidated - they do mention "unjust cruelty" and being "mortified" to have been involved.[/quote]

Icabs? Lol.

Have we missed your proposals on Boards? Do provide the links so. As I recall from others of your posts, kids advocacy isn't exactly a theme with you.

I'm not the virtue signalling do-gooder, you are remember, so where's yours ?

Care to supply a list of businesses who should be boycotted as they are sponsoring events where kids are deliberately being disadvantaged?

• Advertisement

Icabs? Lol.

Another sponsor gone. LOL.

Care to supply a list of businesses who should be boycotted as they are sponsoring events where kids are deliberately being disadvantaged?

I'm not the virtue signalling do-gooder, you are remember, so where's your proposals, posts, concerns and threads on board for disadvantaged kids ?
    Let me guess . . .dogs are the higher priority lol.

Btween the daft comments as above and a vast array of unique assumptions - it leaves little to be said tbh. But eitherway read my comments above it you are in any doubt - its fully detailed there. And note I said nothing about 'protest' rather organised online intimidation and bullying campaigns.

You talk of cruelty - you keep pets / dogs - do you like some consider that to be cruelty? If not why?

Totally off topic so no need to bother

I'm not the virtue signalling do-gooder, you are remember, so where's yours ?

Ah, just another WUM then. Howzabout you actually *do* something? Beyond swan in, post, and run away.

Or, do you care about what's happening to the greyhounds at all? That's what this thread's about. Got anything to contribute to the discussion, rather than whataboutery?

I'm not the virtue signalling do-gooder, you are remember, so where's your proposals, posts, concerns and threads on board for disadvantaged kids ?
    Let me guess . . .dogs are the higher priority lol.

Ever consider that many of us actually do charity work outside of boards? You seem to have nothing useful to offer to the thread...

"Lol"? Not too surprised you seem to get pleasure out of things like that. But yeah blame everyone and ban everything. Thats the way to go for sure :rolleyes:

Quite clear that this current campaign is nothing about improving things or supporting those who do things right but much like those groups ban ban ban ...

"Lol"? Not too surprised you seem to get pleasure out of things like that. But yeah blame everyone and ban everything. Thats the way to go for sure :rolleyes:

Quite clear that this current campaign is nothing about improving things or supporting those who do things right but much like those groups ban ban ban ...
    Animals being treated cruelly, no company wants to sponsor that as it's terrible pr.

Totally off topic so no need to bother

Nope. Incorrect. You talked of cruelty in your last comment - so do keep up. I'm trying to understand your very unique use of the term. Otherwise what you are saying makes no sense whatsoever.

batgoat wrote: »
    Ever consider that many of us actually do charity work outside of boards? You seem to have nothing useful to offer to the thread...

I'm sure you can direct us to your many concerned posts about non dogs

• Advertisement

Icabs? Lol.
    "Lol"?

Just sending your lol back to you. Thought you might need a laugh more than me right now as you seem to be having a hard time accepting the tide is turning now the truth is out there.

Advertisement