Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Nobelium wrote: »
    I'm sure you can direct us to your many concerned posts about non dogs

This is the first dog cruelty related thread that I've ever participated in, you'll note that my post history includes many issues not related to the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

batgoat wrote: »
    Animals being treated cruelly, no company wants to sponsor that as it's terrible pr.

Some animals have shown to have been treated in a way that contravenes current legislation and welfare standards But that said - by no means all. Greyhound racing is legal. If you wish to campaign for it to be made otherwise go ahead. Otherwise such campaigns little more than intimidation of those participating in a legal sport. Imo the targeting of sponsors is a sick practice used frequently used by a small number of extremists. It shouldn't be encouraged.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Just sending your lol back to you. Thought you might need a laugh more than me right now as you seem to be having a hard time accepting the tide is turning now the truth is out there.

One lol highlighted the irony The other clrarly doesn't but hey whatever floats yer boat ...

*shrug*

As I said Quite its clear that this current campaign is nothing about improving things or supporting those who do things right but much like those groups ban ban ban ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

gozunda wrote: »
    Nope. Incorrect. You talked of cruelty in your last comment - so do keep up. I'm trying to understand your very unique use of the term. Otherwise what you are saying makes o sense whatsoever.

Just read back but you won't. What's your definition of cruelty ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Some animals have shown to have been treated in a way that contravenes current legislation and welfare standards But that said - by no means all. Greyhound racing is legal. If you wish to campaign for it to be made otherwise go ahead. Otherwise such campaigns little more than intimidation of those participating in a legal sport. Imo the targeting of sponsors is a sick practice used frequently used by a small number of extremists. It shouldn't be encouraged.

How is it sick? Plenty of dog owners are genuinely upset by this and would like to tell sponsors how they feel about it. Boycotting products is a legitimate form of protest to outline one's feeling to companies. Writing complaints equally so. I would say the treatment of greyhounds is far sicker than those protesting.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Just read back but you won't. What's your definition of cruelty ?

Nope. I asked you the question about your statement. Do you consider keeping dogs / pets as cruel?

Please answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Imo the targeting of sponsors is a sick practice used frequently used by a small number of extremists. It shouldn't be encouraged.

Over 36,000 people signed the petition to Barry's Tea.

Currently over 17,000 on a general petition addressed to all sponsors.

Strange world you live in where you can call a legal petition "a sick practice", describe 36,000 people as " a small number of extremists" but argue that greyhound racing should be kept because not every single person involved overbreeds or has their dogs killed in knackeries.

Nope. I asked you the question about your statement. Do you consider keeping dogs / pets as cruel?

Please answer.

Nope no comment

Over 36,000 people signed the petition to Barry's Tea.Currently over 17,000 on a general petition addressed to all sponsors.Strange world you live in where you can call a legal petition "a sick practice", describe 36,000 people as " a small number of extremists" but argue that greyhound racing should be kept because not every single person involved overbreeds or has their dogs killed in knackeriesII].

Incorrect. Said none of that. The small number of 'extremists' who are responsible for organising many of these campaigns are clearly not the 36,000 you brought in from a tabloid when withering on about some petition.

Stop the hyperbole and bs - and try stick to the comment. Thanks

That type of organised online campaigns to which I refer is borderline at best imo.

Over 36,000 people signed the petition to Barry's Tea.

Currently over 17,000 on a general petition addressed to all sponsors.

Strange world you live in where you can call a legal petition "a sick practice", describe 36,000 people as " a small number of extremists" but argue that greyhound racing should be kept because not every single person involved overbreeds or has their dogs killed in knackeries.

People might like a link to both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Gozunda, you are on the wrong side of history, yet again.

This documentary has finished the greyhound racing industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

People might like a link to both.

Barry's Tea petition - about to hit the 41,000 mark
    https://www.change.org/p/stop-supporting-the-cruel-greyhound-industry/u/24749396?recruiter=12302929&utm_source=share_update&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=facebook

General petition to all sponsors - gone over 40,000 signatures now
    https://www.change.org/p/stop-supporting-the-cruel-greyhound-industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Imagine people were as keen about helping disadvantaged kids as they are about dogs
    sure, that's why there's thread and boycotts being proposed elsewhere on the forum to support disadvantaged kids . .oh wait
    I'm not the virtue signalling do-gooder, you are remember, so where's yours ?
    I'm not the virtue signalling do-gooder, you are remember, so where's your proposals, posts, concerns and threads on board for disadvantaged kids ?
    Let me guess . . .dogs are the higher priority lol.
    I'm sure you can direct us to your many concerned posts about non dogs

@Nobelium - you were placed on probation earlier today with a strict warning to improve your posting standards. I am so close to carding you for all this distraction, and if I were to do that, it would immediately trigger a one month site ban for you.

So final warning. Up your posting standard and engage with the discussion. If you can’t do that, the don’t post.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

sure, that's why there's thread and boycotts being proposed elsewhere on the forum to support disadvantaged kids . .oh wait

Is there a sport which involves racing disadvantaged kids against each other going on in Ireland at the moment?

They're pulling the sponsorship because they don't want to have their name attached to something unsavoury, brands sponsor sports to get positive attention for themselves not negative attention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

dudara wrote: »
    @Nobelium - you were placed on probation earlier today with a strict warning to improve your posting standards. I am so close to carding you for all this distraction, and if I were to do that, it would immediately trigger a one month site ban for you.

So final warning. Up your posting standard and engage with the discussion. If you can’t do that, the don’t post.

dudara

suck my chocolate salty balls is the phrase that comes to mind

When something receiving sponsorship acts in an unsavoury manner they tend to lose sponsorship be it a sport or an individual. Some companies act without a petition needing to be completed and some companies need to be pushed into doing it by seeing negative comments or petitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

suck my chocolate salty balls is the phrase that comes to mind

Mod: And we're done here. Sitebanned.

When something receiving sponsorship acts in an unsavoury manner they tend to lose sponsorship be it a sport or an individual. Some companies act without a petition needing to be completed and some companies need to be pushed into doing it by seeing negative comments or petitions.

No problem in sponsor choosing to sponsor whatever they wish. Unfortunately it would appear the ban crowd have moved in an attempt to close everything down. And that's everyone whether they have done anything 'unsavory' or otherwise. Its mob action - little more imo.

No issues with a genuine petition or indeed choosing not to buy a product tbh - it's some of the the directed ****e that appears on social media - which is of concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/minister-seeks-to-ringfence-funding-for-greyhound-welfare-1.3940674

Ringfence the funding rather than cut it. Yes, ringfence it, but in order to dissolve the industry, just cut the funding dramatically -25% this year, 50% the next, then to zero the following. At least he's thought about cutting it to zero: "
    There have been calls to withdraw the funding totally, but he said doing so would “cause chaos with whatever dogs you have in the country. I shudder to think what would happen if it were suddenly stopped”."

Not stopping it suddenly would work. This'd give the industry time to cope

No problem in sponsor choosing to sponsor whatever they wish. Unfortunately it would appear the ban crowd have moved in an attempt to close everything down. And that's everyone whether they have done anything 'unsavory' or otherwise. Its mob action - little more imo.

No issues with a genuine petition or indeed choosing not to buy a product tbh - it's some of the the directed ****e that appears on social media - which is of concern.

But it is genuine, mistreatment of animals that are being used for sport is not a flimsy excuse to start a petition to get something done about it.It is 100% directly connected with the "sport", it's not like boycotting a sport because of something in someones personal life that you might not agree with.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/minister-seeks-to-ringfence-funding-for-greyhound-welfare-1.3940674

Ringfence the funding rather than cut it. Yes, ringfence it, but in order to dissolve the industry, just cut the funding dramatically -25% this year, 50% the next, then to zero the following. At least he's thought about cutting it to zero: "
    There have been calls to withdraw the funding totally, but he said doing so would “cause chaos with whatever dogs you have in the country. I shudder to think what would happen if it were suddenly stopped”."

Not stopping it suddenly would work. This'd give the industry time to cope

The Minister hasn't a clue & the IGB have powerful friends. In a few years time there will be another TV program & just as many dead Greyhounds.

But it is genuine, mistreatment of animals that are being used for sport is not a flimsy excuse to start a petition to get something done about it.It is 100% directly connected with the "sport", it's not like boycotting a sport because of something in someones personal life that you might not agree with.

Not talking about a simple 'petition' tbh. Much of the online campaigns we are seeing are organised and directed with some being threatened with being boycotted and intimidated. I've posted some & linked examples of this.

There are those who are against all animals in sport and up to and including the keeping of domestic animals including pets. It ignores that there are many who have nothing to do with the problems highlighted.

This has been a target of a small number of extremists long before the current report detailed in the RTE programme . And remember the findings of that report are currently disputed.

Always check who is pushing these campaigns and just because some claim the moral higher ground - that is certainly not always the case

Always check who is pushing these campaigns and just because some claim the moral higher ground - that is certainly not always the case

You mean like the Great Night Out Greyhound campaign? Or the IGB Welfare campaign or the Hare's love a bit of Coursing campaign ?

You mean like the Great Night Out Greyhound campaign? Or the IGB Welfare campaign or the Hare's love a bit of Coursing campaign ?

Your posts could possibly be funny if they were serious....

Why always so reactionary- but don't actually discuss the issues?

Your posts could possibly be funny if they were serious....

Why always so reactionary- but don't actually discuss the issues?

Says the one who never answers a question.

I don't find 6000 Greyhounds funny but maybe you do especially as you don't believe they exist.

Says the one who never answers a question.

I don't find 6000 Greyhounds funny but maybe you do especially as you don't believe they exist.

Lol. You Refused to answer the last question asked regarding the discussion and yet here you trying to poke things with a pointy stick
    gozunda wrote:

Please answer.
    Nope no comment

Why is that discodog?

You Refused to answer the last question asked regarding the discussion and yet here you trying to poke things with a pointy stick

Why is that discodog?

I am feeding the dog, I haven't got time to feed you too

I am feeding the dog, I haven't got time to feed you too

Says the one who keeps asking questions but strangely "never answers a question"...

Fine so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭jackboy

I have heard that the men in Cork filmed at the unofficial coursing are considering legal action against RTÉ, on the basis that what they were doing was fully within the rules.

I would like to here from someone who is knowledgeable on the coursing rules, to give an opinion on this. From what I hear, they have no doubts about the legality of their actions.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    I have heard that the men in Cork filmed at the unofficial coursing are considering legal action against RTÉ, on the basis that what they were doing was fully within the rules.

I would like to here from someone who is knowledgeable on the coursing rules, to give an opinion on this. From what I hear, they have no doubts about the legality of their actions.

The ICC love to make these claims. The classic was when two Swedish students filmed a dying hare at Clonmel

Advertisement