Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

jackboy wrote: »
    I have heard that the men in Cork filmed at the unofficial coursing are considering legal action against RTÉ, on the basis that what they were doing was fully within the rules.

I would like to here from someone who is knowledgeable on the coursing rules, to give an opinion on this. From what I hear, they have no doubts about the legality of their actions.

It depends.
    Some coursing clubs have licences and an NPWS Warden should be in attendance.
    This doesn't always happen. It has been the case that the warden is there when the hares are taken but not when they are (allegedly) all returned hale and hearty after their little run.
    There are also hares taken illegally (i.e. without a licence) and there are reports from people who live on the island that coursing actually takes place on the island itself.

RTE say it was an illegal course https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1143804890571071489

Conor Ryan states:
    This gives a flavour of the coursing we found happening on Whiddy Island - no vet, no wild life ranger... no licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Discodog wrote: »
    The ICC love to make these claims. The classic was when two Swedish students filmed a dying hare at Clonmel

Oh what was that?..not heard it before.

More revelations of the IGB sitting on reports.

This time it's knowing that injured dogs were forced to race.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/secret-report-board-knew-injured-greyhounds-forced-race-447167?utm_source=twitter

I have heard that the men in Cork filmed at the unofficial coursing are considering legal action against RTÉ, on the basis that what they were doing was fully within the rules.

I would like to here from someone who is knowledgeable on the coursing rules, to give an opinion on this. From what I hear, they have no doubts about the legality of their actions.

It depends on when the video was shot. There’s such a thing as Open Coursing where hares are coursed in the wild. Greyhounds aren’t muzzled in this. Judges and control stewards would be in attendance.

• Advertisement

The ICC love to make these claims. The classic was when two Swedish students filmed a dying hare at Clonmel

They shot themselves in the foot by not disguising the wire used to simulate twitching of the poor hare.

It depends on when the video was shot. There’s such a thing as Open Coursing where hares are coursed in the wild. Greyhounds aren’t muzzled in this. Judges and control stewards would be in attendance.

Unmuzzled greyhounds are set loose ?!?!? :eek:

The more I learn the worse it gets.

The Minister hasn't a clue & the IGB have powerful friends. In a few years time there will be another TV program & just as many dead Greyhounds.

Last night in Nottingham Irish greyhounds filled the first three places in the final of the English Derby. A great night for the Irish marred by a prat tossing a smoke bomb towards the track while a race was in progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Is anyone here boycotting Chinese made goods following the footage of that poor hound being boiled alive? Are any protests planned at the Chinese Embassy?

Is anyone here boycotting Chinese made goods following the footage of that poor hound being boiled alive? Are any protests planned at the Chinese Embassy?

A hell of a lot of stuff has been done actually.
    As many of the Irish dogs as could be found alive were rescued, returned to Europe, and rehomed.
    All paid for by Animal Rights Groups.

Some, like Two Stone Tadgh, never got out of the Canidrome alive.

Thankfully, the Canidrome is now closed so there are no greyhound tracks operating in China and/or Hong Kong.

There are constantly protests over events like Yulin - which ended today by the way. https://www.facebook.com/events/embassy-of-china-london/yulin-protest-chinese-embassy-london-2019/397617964124540/

But thanks for asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Says the one who never answers a question.

I don't find 6000 Greyhounds funny but maybe you do especially as you don't believe they exist.
    Look I am not the type of person who equates animal lives with human lives. Nor do i think animals should have free choice etc. I mean do your pets have free choice etc? Do rescue animals can they choose their families? Nope.

I don't think people who practice bloodsports are bad people.

I do think some people who practice bloodsports are not living in reality though.

6000k purposely bred dogs that have to be destroyed is just ridiculous.

And to those to who oh well they are just dogs etc. You are just as extreme as the other side.

They are sentient animals. They feel pain and have emotions.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    As many of the Irish dogs as could be found alive were rescued, returned to Europe, and rehomed.

But thanks for asking.

You know they eat dog meat in germany belgium poland france etc.

They eat dog lard in poland.

Not that it means you couldn't rehome dogs safely to those countries . Or that they have a lower standard of animal care or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You know they eat dog meat in germany belgium poland france etc. And way way more than the chinese.

No they definitely don't where do you even have it from? Horsemeat perhaps, and not as a staple either.

strandroad wrote: »
    No they definitely don't where do you even have it from? Horsemeat perhaps, and not as a staple either.

WRONG
    They definitely still eat dog lard in poland. 'Smalec'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8188466.stm

Health supplements.
    A lot of eastern europe too.

I am not judging. But they do.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/5985367/Polish-couple-accused-of-making-dog-meat-delicacy.html

Polish couple accused of making dog meat delicacy
    A Polish couple are being investigated by police after they were accused of slaughtering dogs to produce a canine version of one of the country's national dishes.

By Matthew Day in Warsaw

6:30AM BST 07 Aug 2009

Smalec, or lard, is served with bread as a starter in Polish restaurants. But the man and woman from a village near the town of Czestochowa face animal cruelty charges after police and veterinary inspectors, acting on information from an animal charity, discovered evidence suggesting they were producing and selling smalec made out of dogs raised on their property.

That doesn't meant they don't have high standards of care for dogs etc.

I am sure it's fine to rehome a dog there. But it's probably fine to rehome a dog to a family in china too.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

You see this goes back to a lot of what was said earlier in the thread as to the standard of reporting on PTI; conjecture ,half truths and logical fallacies to try and arouse disgust and shock with public just doesn’t cut it -and often ends you up in the court.

WRONG
    They definitely still eat dog lard in poland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8188466.stm

Health supplements.
    A lot of eastern europe too.

I am not judging. But they do.

That's one quack folk medicine woman 10 years ago, arrested and hopefully dealt with as it is completely illegal. They are not eating dogs in Europe give it a rest.

Lab testing on beagles would be a much better rant if you really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Ok so Hares are a protected species* and yet you can legally chase them with greyhounds for sport...Where is the logic in that?

*wasn't aware hares were a protected species

That's one quack folk medicine woman 10 years ago, arrested and hopefully dealt with as it is completely illegal. They are not eating dogs in Europe give it a rest.

Its used in smalec.

Its more old fashioned now but it still happens.

Its not a rant i don't have an issue with people eating dog if they want to.

Its not usual in poland but it used to be more usual.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/5985367/Polish-couple-accused-of-making-dog-meat-delicacy.html

And no i don't think polish people are cruel to animals.

It happens a lot in Russia too. It's illegal now though.

The swiss eat a lot of dog though.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2255684/Farmers-Switzerland-routinely-EATING-cats-dogs-meals.html

Again that doesn't mean you couldn't rehome a dog in swtizerland and be sure it will be taken care of. Of COURSE you can.

Its used in smalec.

Its more old fashioned now but it still happens.

No it's not. Pork lard is commonly eaten in the East but not dog. Dog meat is illegal in the EU.

It's an old story, they were trying to sell quack medicine. Just stop.

• Advertisement

No it's not. Pork lard is commonly eaten in the East but not dog. Dog meat is illegal in the EU.

Not sure it is. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1085330/Brexit-news-Brexit-bill-dog-meat-ban-UK-eating-dog-cat-Tory-MP-Giles-Watling-Michael-Gove

I think its illegal commercially but not for personal consumption.

In switzerland they regularly eat dog though. (outside of the eu)

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-8-2015-005541_EN.html

eating dog meant for personal consumption is not illegal in the EU as far as i am aware.

Not sure it is. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1085330/Brexit-news-Brexit-bill-dog-meat-ban-UK-eating-dog-cat-Tory-MP-Giles-Watling-Michael-Gove

I think its illegal commercially but not for personal consumption.

In switzerland they regularly eat dog though. (outside of the eu)

The commercial slaughter and sale of dog meat is illegal in Switzerland.
    However, in a few small, rural, areas farmers can get an exception for their own consumption.
    No doubt on the grounds that it's 'traditional' - a term that is used to justify a lot of things that should be long done away with.

Edit to add: It was made completely illegal in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

All paid for by Animal Rights Groups ....

Where are the accounts of these 'Irish dogs' being returned to Europe from China? Where are they now?

However, in a few small, rural, areas farmers can get an exception for their own consumption.
    No doubt on the grounds that it's 'traditional' - a term that is used to justify a lot of things that should be long done away with.

that is the same way it is in the eu as far as i know.
    That's the way it is in poland and a lot of eastern europe ..it might not even be legal.

I think they found dog meat in meat from spain in holland a few years ago.

Edit to add: It was made completely illegal in 2015.

Why do you have a problem with it?

If it's done as humanely as cattle etc?

If i don't like the idea of something i just don't do it. I don't like the idea of meat i don't eat it.

gozunda wrote: »
    Where are the accounts of these 'Irish dogs' being returned to Europe from China? Where are they now?

I wouldn't imagine they are alive.

that is the same way it is in the eu as far as i know.
    That's the way it is in poland and a lot of eastern europe ..it might not even be legal.

I think they found dog meat in meat from spain in holland a few years ago.

It is illegal in the E.U to commercially slaughter dogs and sell dog meat.

Why do you have a problem with it?

If it's done as humanely as cattle etc?

If i don't like the idea of something i just don't do it. I don't like the idea of meat i don't eat it.

The Swiss obviously had a problem with it as they made it illegal at federal level.
    So it really doesn't have anything to do with this thread does it.

• Advertisement

The Swiss obviously had a problem with it as they made it illegal at federal level.
    So it really doesn't have anything to do with this thread does it.

Show me where?

Advertisement