Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It is illegal in the E.U to commercially slaughter dogs and sell dog meat.

I know. It's not for personal consumption though. And that definition can be stretched.

And it is sold illegally a lot more in some countries than others.

And i certainly don't think it's wise to rehome dogs abroad in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

gozunda wrote: »
    Where are the accounts of these 'Irish dogs' being returned to Europe from China? Where are they now?

Why don't you contact Kerry Elliman of Candy Cain Rescue and ask her yourself.
    Maybe she will give you the all the details you want including video's of Irish dogs wrapped in tricolours singing Olé Olé on a Ryanair flight to Luton.

Or she might be too busy continuing to rescue dogs from Chinese meat-markets to put up with your nit picking.

strandroad wrote: »
    Horsemeat perhaps, and not as a staple either.

You can find horse meat in a french supermarket all year round. My exes grandfather and uncle ran a horse farm in the south of France that produced horse meat.

And the french look after their horses way better than the Irish imo. Very excellent horsemen and very gentle with their horses.

We honestly could learn a thing or two from them.

Show me where?

I'm not your personal researcher.
    You said eating dog meat is legal in Switzerland.
    I said it was in certain rural areas but only for personal consumption.
    I then looked into it more and learned it was made completely illegal in 2015.

But the original claim was made by you so you really should be the one providing the evidence not demanding it from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Why don't you contact Kerry Elliman of Candy Cain Rescue and ask her yourself.Maybe she will give you the all the details you want including video's of Irish dogs wrapped in tricolours singing Olé Olé on a Ryanair flight to Luton. Or she might be too busy continuing to rescue dogs from Chinese meat-markets to put up with your nit picking.

It is a claim in one of your comments and despite a search there is nothing I can find to back it up. Btw there is absolutely no need to be fallacious when asked a question on what you have posted.

If as you claim this is factual - then provide a link.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Why don't you contact Kerry Elliman of Candy Cain Rescue and ask her yourself.
    Maybe she will give you the all the details you want including video's of Irish dogs wrapped in tricolours singing Olé Olé on a Ryanair flight to Luton.

Or she might be too busy continuing to rescue dogs from Chinese meat-markets to put up with your nit picking.

I checked out her site. I am glad she gave credit to the chinese activists.

I'm not your personal researcher.
    You said eating dog meat is legal in Switzerland.
    I said it was in certain rural areas but only for personal consumption.
    I then looked into it more and learned it was made completely illegal in 2015.

But the original claim was made by you so you really should be the one providing the evidence not demanding it from me.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline/the-places-around-the-world-you-can-still-eat-dog-meat

Places in the world you can still legally eat dog meat
    AUSTRALIA

In Australia, it is not explicitly illegal to eat dog in most states and territories. However, the sale of cat and dog meat is prohibited in all states and territories under the various statutes which govern the production of meat.
    South Australia is the only state which has definitively prohibited the slaughter and consumption of both cats and dogs.
    ASIA

Somewhere in Asia, a dog is slaughtered every second.
    In China, more than a third of the population eats dog meat multiple times a year. Reasons for the consumption of dog meat are deeply rooted in tradition, and sometimes superstition – some believe it is a health tonic, while for others dog meat is just like any other meat. Notably, dog meat is also consumed in Vietnam, South Korea, and the Philippines.
    2b310f59-c9b8-4663-aee4-67413cf64f31Dateline

EUROPE

The idea of eating dog is alarming to most countries in the West, where dogs are considered "man’s best friend". In a 2012 investigation into the practice, Swiss newspaper Tages-Anzeiger uncovered the practice in rural regions of central and eastern Switzerland. Animal rights campaigners rallied to get the practice outlawed in 2015.
    In rural Poland, dog fat has been known to be used for lard – in 2009, a man who admitted to slaughtering a dog to create lard was tried by the Krakow District court – and found not guilty.
    In the UK? If you humanely kill a dog you own, it’s legal to eat it.

In the uk right now if you own a dog and humanely kill it you can eat it.

Published this year.

It is a claim in one of your comments and despite a search there is nothing I can find to back it up. Btw there is absolutely no need to be fallacious when asked a question on what you have posted.

If as you claim this is factual - then provide a link.

Thanks.
    A poster asked a question. I answered it. End of.

You want more detailed information so I gave you the name of the woman who organises it and the rescue concerned.
    You are free to go and ask her all the questions you want.
    As I said to another poster I am not your personal researcher.

I am sticking to discussing the Irish Greyhound Industry and what happens in Ireland and not interested in your latest deflection tactic.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline/the-places-around-the-world-you-can-still-eat-dog-meat

Places in the world you can still legally eat dog meat

Published this year.

And right there is says the Swiss made it illegal in 2015. See, you could find out yourself.

You night also note - apart from the 'if humanly killed in the UK' no other European country is listed.

It also has nothing to do with Greyhound racing in Ireland.

A poster asked a question. I answered it. End of.

You want more detailed information so I gave you the name of the woman who organises it and the rescue concerned.
    You are free to go and ask her all the questions you want.
    As I said to another poster I am not your personal researcher.

I am sticking to discussing the Irish Greyhound Industry and what happens in Ireland and not interested in your latest deflection tactic.

It might be true that we care more about dogs than you then.

Or perhaps just more worldly experience.

There are certain countries in Europe i would never rehome pets to. Particularly dogs and particularly if you don't want them raced again.

• Advertisement

The Swiss obviously had a problem with it as they made it illegal at federal level.
    So it really doesn't have anything to do with this thread does it.
    They have no made it illegal to consume dog meat for personal consumption.

And that is not the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Published this year.

And in Ireland probably too, seeing how I don't think there is anything explicitly stopping you from consuming your departed pet instead of cremating it.

By your logic, we shouldn't be rehoming within Ireland. People can eat dog here.

The level of deflection is absurd.

And right there is says the Swiss made it illegal in 2015. See, you could find out yourself.

Y
    No it doesn't it says animal rights activists tried to in 2015. But they failed there wasn't enough support.

As far as i can find its still legal to eat dog meat in switzerland in 2019 for personal consumption.

And in Ireland probably too, seeing how I don't think there is anything explicitly stopping you from consuming your departed pet instead of cremating it.

By your logic, we shouldn't be rehoming within Ireland.

Thank you.

Now...do you think all countries have the same attitude towards animals?

Greece spain italy etc?

Not that this is wrong or right. But do they?

I certainly know I would rather rehome my horse in france rather than spain unless i had really really done my homework and had a written agreement it would not be rehomed.

It's actually getting pathetic at this point.

Which is why I am no longer going to even engage with those few posters who seem intent on waving and shouting "look over there at this other thing that isn't actually about the Greyhound racing industry in Ireland".

Which is why I am no longer going to even engage with those few posters who seem intent on waving and shouting "look over there at this other thing that isn't actually about the Greyhound racing industry in Ireland".

You are talking about rehoming dogs to these countries. Remember why you had an issue with it in China?

Coursing racing etc HUGE in italy germany spain etc.

Its not to say you can't find the right owner. But you would need to be very careful and make sure they were not going to be rehomed again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You are talking about rehoming dogs to these countries. Remember why you had an issue with it in China?

China has a significant dog meat industry which is perfectly legal.

You can't possibly not understand it therefore I am not going to engage with what comes across as pure trolling.

China has a significant dog meat industry which is perfectly legal.

You can't possibly not understand it therefore I am not going to engage with what comes across as pure trolling.

It is NOT trolling to suggest you should not rehome dogs to spain greece and italy particularly the south of italy. Anyone who has been there will tell you.

Whatever about the LAW in china in my experience pets are looked after very well.

A poster asked a question. I answered it. End of. You want more detailed information so I gave you the name of the woman who organises it and the rescue concerned.You are free to go and ask her all the questions you want.As I said to another poster I am not your personal researcher.

No not end of. A poster asked what was been done and you replied the claim that Irish dogs had been rescued and returned to Europe. You provided no link or backup for this claim and a search failed to find any details of this. I have a good reason for asking about this.

Btw you can make as many personal remarks as you like as to bs claims that others are using 'deflection tactics' (sic) - but there you do seem confused as to the fact that this boards is a discussion site where yes topics are discussed. Not sure why this is tbh. Personally I always find the following helps negtes any confusion for me with regard to discussion here
    you may not agree with everything you read (and people may not agree with your viewpoint), but you can talk it out as long as you attack the post and not the poster.

Now back on topic if you could provide a link to your previous claim about Irish dogs being returned to Europe that would be great thanks.

No not end of. A poster asked what was been done and you replied the claim that Irish dogs had been rescued and returned to Europe. You provided no link or backup for this claim and a search failed to find any details of this. I have a good reason for asking about this.

Btw you can make as many personal remarks as you like as to bs claims that others are using 'deflection tactics' (sic) - but there you do seem confused as to the fact that this boards is a discussion site where yes topics are discussed. Not sure why this is tbh. Personally I always find the following helps negtes any confusion for me with regard to discussion here

Now back on topic if you could provide a link to your previous claim about Irish dogs being returned to Europe that would be great thanks.

It does say on the site itself they re home them to the USA to Europe etc.

I don't know how they vet owners that far etc. But it could be fine.

Here is the site.

https://www.candycanerescue.org/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5141421/British-greyhounds-sold-China-boiled-alive.html

IT says she has a center in beijing and birmingham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I agree. You deserve a break.
    I want to say bravo for your persistance and convincing argument and thanks for the informative posts and entertaining retorts.

I am no longer going to even engage with those few posters who seem intent on waving and shouting "look over there at this other thing that isn't actually about the Greyhound racing industry in Ireland".

Now back on topic ...

The topic is RTE investigates programme on greyhound racing industry.

I fully intend to go back to the topic.

Rescued greyhounds are no longer part of the greyhound racing industry. They are it's victims.

Frisby Barney & Droopys Dale are two Irish greyhounds rescued from China.

Here is your link.https://www.facebook.com/cagednw/photos/p.2215396575235132/2215396575235132/?type=1&theater

Now, unless you have things to say that are on topic you and I need not have any more discussion in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

It does say on the site itself they re home them to the USA to Europe etc.

I don't know how they vet owners that far etc. But it could be fine.

Here is the site.

https://www.candycanerescue.org/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5141421/British-greyhounds-sold-China-boiled-alive.html

IT says she has a center in beijing and birmingham.
    Your posts are alarmingly void of logic. There's definitely a quantity over quality thing going on, you rattle off nonsense that has often nothing to do with the posts you quote. It's actually spoiled quite a few threads. Maybe that's your intention.

I agree. You deserve a break.
    I want to say bravo for your persistance and convincing argument and thanks for the informative posts and entertaining retorts.

Without proper links or backup- a comment unfortunatly does not make for a convincing argument one way or the other.

Accusing others of 'deflection' to avoid clarifying those comments is unfortunately ironic and not an 'entertaining retort' imo.

dickangel wrote: »
    Your posts are alarmingly void of logic. There's definitely a quantity over quality thing going on, you rattle off nonsense that has often nothing to do with the posts you quote. It's actually spoiled quite a few threads. Maybe that's your intention.

Why you would send a huge number of dogs to places like italy and spain which have notoriously low level of caring for them and notoriously high levels of animal abuse?

Abusing me personally just shows you have nothing to say.

I am not going to start abusing others its not kind.

Here is your link.https://www.facebook.com/cagednw/photos/p.2215396575235132/2215396575235132/?type=1&theater
    Without proper links or backup- a comment unfortunatly does not make for a convincing argument one way or the other.

Accusing others of 'deflection' to avoid clarifying those comments is unfortunately ironic and not an 'entertaining retort' imo.

Morto for you now.

The topic is RTE investigates programme on greyhound racing industry.

I fully intend to go back to the topic.

Rescued greyhounds are no longer part of the greyhound racing industry. They are it's victims.

Now, unless you have things to say that are on topic you and I need not have any more discussion in this thread.

You are the one who kept posting about them and brought them up.

I honestly don't think you care about dogs at all. You just want to win an argument.

You are the one who kept posting about them and brought them up.

I honestly don't think you care about dogs at all. You just want to win an argument.

What are you on about? :confused:

Never mind.
    I don't actually care what you think tbh.

The topic is RTE investigates programme on greyhound racing industry.I fully intend to go back to the topic.Rescued greyhounds are no longer part of the greyhound racing industry. They are it's victims.

Btw I had searched the candy cane site (which oddly you told me to go and talk to the person there) and found nothing relevant to your claim in the first instance btw.

The two dogs you listed in the subsequent link you just provided appear to have been breed here but bought and brought to the UK to be raced. And it appears that it was from the UK these dogs were exported to China even though one of the dog owners there claims he sold the dog to an American buyer

And further detail that the Irish breeders stopped selling to foreign buyers and elsewhere when they became aware of some of the awful conditions.

So no this particular pair of dogs do not relate to feckless Irish breeders and similar exaggeration as some here would have us believe.

You are correct in one thing only ..

'Morto for you now'...

• Advertisement

Another linky in case FB is deemed not 'proper'
    An Irish racer called Droopy’s Dale, who also raced in the UK, was rescued from the same grim kennel in December at a cost of £3,000 plus flights and vet bills.

The dog was trained at Droopy’s Stud in Ballyvalican, Co Waterford.

Director Sean Murphy said he and his brother Michael had sold six dogs in 2013 to a man based in Hong Kong.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-greyhounds-being-sold-puppy-14438715?fbclid=IwAR0gtb5UkSCI_fNksQvutb-I-RPtWBtvEq0Xqv6MbSmXToz3bope1mndISc

This is Droopy Dale's IGB entry: https://www.igb.ie/results/greyhound-search/greyhound-details/?gid=DROOPYS%20DALE

Advertisement