Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Completely and utterly agree. I had written a very similar post about 10 minutes ago and it didn’t get posted for some reason (maybe my mistake). We have an appalling track record in Ireland for animal welfare, far far worse than the UK. Remember the recent jailing of Wexford puppy breeder , carcasses of dogs and horses found on his farm!

I spoke to 3 people this weekend who were saying they were getting dogs . ALL of them were getting brand new puppies. I suggested rescue dogs and it was something they had never considered as they wanted pure bred puppies. Our rescue centres are bursting at the seams .

But that’s another story, let’s concentrate at the moment on the poor innocent greyhounds. I noticed that it was all men who were involved in coursing and greyhound breeding , plus racing , selling and abuse of these dogs.... not women. Do men not have the same feelings as women when it comes to animal welfare?

There were women in the documentary and it is too easy to blame the men in this case.. women are just as bad.

Also imagine your husband told you he was going coarsing or getting a greyhound for racing.. you are just as responsible as you support him then you support his sick hobby.

I know in puppy breeding lots of women are involved and they usually meet people pretending they had the puppies in their home etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

You couldn't ban it all completely. You have cull deer.

You have to cull foxes. You have to cull rabbits.

I mean even if the population was under control (which it isn't) you have diseased animals that have to be put down etc. Sometimes in great numbers.

Its either traps or poison then. Shooting dear etc is still hunting.

Hunting is culling. That's its purpose when its done well.

Or you could be intelligent and just leave the Foxes to cull the Rabbits as nature intended.

(They also cull the Rats and Mice).

Why are we talking about the Irish/GB Greyhound Industry in the context of eating dogs in Asia - ask yourself that?

It brought nothing to this programme except sensationalist nonsense that distracted from the illegal behavior highlighted in Ireland- that’s the point I’m making ; it was unnecessary IMO.

That footage has done the rounds on various animal rights channels for years- they’re still eating dogs in Asia. Let’s focus on what we can control and make a real impact on.

‘Oh coursing people are evil monsters’-that’s goin to make an impact alright!

Let them eat dogs in Asia... BUT NOT OUR DOGS

If they were born and raised in Ireland then they are Irish dogs and their treatment is relevant to us.
    Our Dogs, Our Responsibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭jackboy

archer22 wrote: »
    Or you could be intelligent and just leave the Foxes to cull the Rabbits as nature intended.
    Doesn't work. A fox has little chance of catching an adult rabbit. Also, rabbits can easily escape into burrows. If you want the eco system to be as nature intended then the wolf needs to be re-introduced to Ireland. The wolf will cull deer and foxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Coursing Club members may only enter land with the permission of the landowner as per license conditions.

Anyone else doing so should be reported to the Gardai

No coursing around here, just others with guns with nothing better to do of a weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

gozunda wrote: »
    The last sponsored race by barrys piss tea was 9pm race on Saturday 22nd June 2019. People have been pleading with them for years to stop the sponsorship. Emails. Phone calls. All ignored. So fair play to rte investigates programme. You did in a few hours what mere animal lovers have been trying to do for years.

What people? Emails? Phone calls? How would anyone know what communications Barry's were receiving? Someone would gave to work there or something to know that tbh.
    Well I personally communicated with them as well as loads of people I know. Always same answer. The sponsorship is UNDER REVIEW. I repeat well done rte investigates.

jackboy wrote: »
    Doesn't work. A fox has little chance of catching an adult rabbit. Also, rabbits can easily escape into burrows. If you want the eco system to be as nature intended then the wolf needs to be re-introduced to Ireland. The wolf will cull deer and foxes.
    All Rabbits begin life as young Rabbits..and for Foxes catching adult Rabbits, I have seen them do it...they use a stalking and sprint technique.

All Rabbits begin life as young Rabbits..and for Foxes catching adult Rabbits, I have seen them do it...they use a stalking and sprint technique.

Yes, but it nearly always fails. The breeding rate of rabbits massively outstrips any impact that foxes can make. Foxes are not capable of significantly impacting rabbit populations.

It was tried in Australia and failed in a spectacular manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Shame on redmills. Another cork company happy to sponser the cruel so called sport of greyhound racing.

Yes, but it nearly always fails. The breeding rate of rabbits massively outstrips any impact that foxes can make. Foxes are not capable of significantly impacting rabbit populations.

Australia was an ecological disaster caused by Fox hunters who introduced Foxes to a continent where they did not belong...So that they could 'control and cull' them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Australia was an ecological disaster caused by Fox hunters who introduced Foxes to a continent where they did not belong...So that they could 'control and cull' them :rolleyes:
    Australia was overrun with rabbits. It was thought that foxes could control, them. It didn't work. It was easier for the foxes to catch the local wildlife.

Australia was overrun with rabbits. It was thought that foxes could control, them. It didn't work. It was easier for the foxes to catch the local wildlife.

Your thinking of Stoats in New Zealand, Foxes were introduced to Australia for Fox Hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I thought it was hares that they used in coursing not rabbits? There's no mention of rabbits on the ICC site that I can see

Your thinking of Stoats in New Zealand, Foxes were introduced to Australia for Fox Hunting.
    Fair enough. Anyway, foxes will not control rabbit populations.

xckjoo wrote: »
    I thought it was hares that they used in coursing not rabbits? There's no mention of rabbits on the ICC site that I can see
    Yes it's hares only for coursing. We were just discussing controlling rabbit populations.

Yes it's hares only for coursing. We were just discussing controlling rabbit populations.

So how does the coursing/greyhound industry effect that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whoops :pac:
    Another firm has joined the growing list of companies to pull sponsorship from greyhound racing, in the wake of a recent broadcast about the industry by RTÉ Investigates. The programme raised animal welfare issues relating to the overbreeding and subsequent treatment of greyhounds.

Connolly's RED MILLS, a leading manufacturer of animal feed products here, said it is clear that a number of cruel and unscrupulous practices are being pursued by individuals in the industry.

It said a failure to address these "unacceptable activities" has led to its decision.

"Connolly's RED MILLS prides itself in providing the best nutrition for pets, working animals and elite sports animals," it said.

"The welfare of greyhounds is of the utmost concern to Connolly's RED MILLS and the company is horrified by the completely unacceptable acts that were broadcast by RTÉ."

"No-one who cares about animals can condone the practices depicted in the broadcast," it added.

The company had sponsored greyhound race meetings and events and had been one of the bigger backers of dog racing.

The firm did not say how much its sponsorship of the industry was worth, but it is thought to be in region of €50,000 to €75,000 a year.

On Tuesday, two other well-known brands confirmed they were ending their involvement with greyhound races.

FBD Insurance said it had reviewed its small sponsorship arrangement with Kilkenny Greyhound Stadium in light of the programme and had decided not to renew it.

Barry's Tea also said it was withdrawing its support of a race at Curaheen Park in Cork, as it was "saddened and horrified" by the recent revelations.

Since the programme was broadcast, the Irish Greyhound Board has given a commitment to the welfare of racing greyhounds and it adopted additional measures at a special board meeting last week which it is now arranging the implementation of.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0705/1060371-connolly-red-mills-greyhounds/

Well done Connolly Red Mills indeed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Woohoo Muahahaha, thanks for that excellent news!! :) They know their market as said before, many of us are dog owners who vastly outnumber the greyhound racing owners and we empathise with greyhounds being slaughtered for entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Interesting too that they announce sponsorship of greyhound racing yesterday and less than 24 hours later they drop it. That did not happen in a vacuum, pressure was applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Muahahaha wrote: »

Indeed. I used to buy their feed for my pony, I was horrified when I realised I was indirectly supporting the Greyhound Industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Interesting too that they announce sponsorship of greyhound racing yesterday and less than 24 hours later they drop it. That did not happen in a vacuum, pressure was applied.

I heard that that deal was actually done in May before the RTE programme aired (open to correction on that). Not sure if they announced it yesterday or the announcement just gained media oxygen yesterday but either way it was a spectacular PR disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The ecology of Australia is massively different than Ireland. Might as well compare it with Mars. Coursing won't have appreciable impact in Ireland on the hare population which is not well understood (it's hard to count wild hares) and varies wildly, apparently, year-on-year due to climate conditions. Not due to coursing, which is just a bloodsport for dilettantes.

They have since announced that they will not continue the support.

Who are the bullies by the way? Do you mean the protesters?

How fickle are they! I must pack up my Red Mills trophies and return them. Pity, they’re lovely pieces.

How fickle are they! I must pack up my Red Mills trophies and return them. Pity, they’re lovely pieces.
    Posts like this are what make me doubt that those in the greyhound industry have any interest in improving things and are only interested in playing the victim :(

I doubt Red Mills want your trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Shame on redmills. Another cork company happy to sponser the cruel so called sport of greyhound racing.

Plenty of good ideas in this thread on improving how things are run. Screaming at sponsors not going to help that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

xckjoo wrote: »
    Posts like this are what make me doubt that those in the greyhound industry have any interest in improving things and are only interested in playing the victim :(

I doubt Red Mills want your trophies.

Of course they don't want anything to change. It's why I keep banging on about doing something *soon.* Ireland just loves to sweep things under the rug, nothing to see here, move along. Some dramatic change is necessary. Starting with a ban on live exports seems like a fine proposal, one I'm going to be sending to my TD's. Otherwise there'll be no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Plenty of good ideas in this thread on improving how things are run. Screaming at sponsors not going to help that tbh.

Its a pity IGB did nothing all these years and let the slaughter of healthy greyhounds happen.

And now they have to act fast or else nobody will go to greyhound tracks anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mikeym wrote: »
    Its a pity IGB did nothing all these years and let the slaughter of healthy greyhounds happen.And now they have to act fast or else nobody will go to greyhound tracks anymore.

So the thing is to punish everyone then including the guys who look after their dogs well?

Yeah let's ban driving because theres a bunch of careless drivers who dont care about other road users and bring motoring into bad repute. Fuk it let's ban everything- only way to go tbh ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

So the thing is to punish everyone then including the guys who look after their dogs well?

Yeah let's ban driving because theres a bunch of careless drivers who dont care about other road users and bring motoring into bad repute. Fuk it let's ban everything- only way to go tbh ...

You really love your straw man arguments, don't you?

Advertisement