Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Maryanne, when you posted your comment that greyhound racing is your hobby and you enjoy it you nailed your colours to the mast.
    I honestly do not believe that you will not accept any proof of wrong doing. But that is just my opinion based on what you have posted here.

If you read my posts carefully you will see that, like most things in life, the greyhound game isn't perfect. What galls me is that our national broadcaster saw fit to air such a biased program with in the most part, false accusations.
    Educate yourself on the facts before you judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If you read my posts carefully you will see that, like most things in life, the greyhound game isn't perfect. What galls me is that our national broadcaster saw fit to air such a biased program with in the most part, false accusations.
    Educate yourself on the facts before you judge.

What galls me is that despite newpapers articles detailing the issues in the Greyhound industry going back decades combined with:
    Proof of greyhounds being drugged.
    Proof of greyhounds being taken to knackeries to be killed.
    Proof of greyhound bodies being found dumped.
    Proof of Irish greyhounds being exported to countries with zero dog welfare.
    Proof of a leading figure in the IGB believing the death of greyhounds is acceptable.
    Proof of unsustainable overbreeding.
    Proof of lack of regulation.

Still people will stick their finger in their ears and make excuses because at the end of the day all they care about is that they get to continue with their hobby.

Perhaps you should remove the blinkers and educate yourself about the abuses others who enjoy your hobby are committing everyday.

Don't blame RTE.
    Blame those responsible for the abuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

This is so bad it's almost funny:

"we received a commitment from at least 20 breeders who were willing to rehome 4 dogs each for a small fee."
    What dogs are they rehoming, their own dogs? This should be their responsibility anyway - it shouldn't be something they charge for. How many dogs do they breed every year? If they are called a "breeder" I imagine it's more than 4.

"The will then work closely with the Committee to get permanent homes for these dogs locally."
    So the breeders are just saying that they'll look after these magically-appearing 80 dogs, and charge for the pleasure, until they are found permanent homes. If you're going to pay me, I'll take a couple in myself (I should note that I already foster for a rescue. For free).

"An interim committee was appointed and it was agreed that sponsors should be sought to sponsor stakes to raise money for adoption."
    Ah come on. We all know that no one will touch this with a bargepole. Companies are more likely to donate to adoption processes than take the PR risk of sponsoring more races. This is a clumsy attempt to get sponorship back.

"If all tracks come on board with the same commitment, the Greyhound fraternity would commit to rehoming almost 1,500 greyhounds."
    10% of what is bred. What about the other 90% of dogs? Are you admitting that these will simply be killed in Ireland or exported?

"There are also proposals to set up 3 or 4 Retirement kennels for greyhounds throughout Ireland."
    So they're being bred to be raced for a few years and then kenneled for the rest of their days?

"There is already a proposal on the table from a prominent Tipperary breeder, who is confident of rehoming between 300 to 400 per year. In order for this to work, we need a substantial increase in funding."
    Does this mean that he is going to rehome these to pet homes, or that he is going to kennel dogs and charge for this? I agree with what others have said - the rescues have experience here - any money should go to them for rehoming. I've no interest in my taxes funding large-scale kennels to take over-produced dogs from an industry that shouldn't have been bred in the first place. If this is what is proposed, the industry surely has to admit that they are overproducing dogs.

"We are also hoping to have an area set aside at the track to accommodate retired greyhounds so the public can view on race nights."
    They deserve more dignity. They shouldn't be penned out for people to view them. There's no understanding throughout this entire statement that people see these dogs as pets, rather than something to be exploited.

This has really angered me. The statements from the industry continue to deny any real problem and don't propose real resolutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

That statement is either a cynical cash grab or proof that they're completely out of touch with what people see as problems in their industry. Rapidly losing faith in IGB having any ability to fix things.

xckjoo wrote: »
    That statement is either a cynical cash grab or proof that they're completely out of touch with what people see as problems in their industry. Rapidly losing faith in IGB having any ability to fix things.

Or it’s showing greyhound folk being proactive about homing retirees. We can’t win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Or it’s showing greyhound folk being proactive about homing retirees. We can’t win!

A greyhound stadium is not a zoo!

The losers are shot in the head at knackeries, they should show on a giant screen the 6,000 plus deaths per year of greyhounds for the crime of being too slow to race.

I've gone through it point by point above. It's not taking ownership of the problems that are being created by the breeders own actions. If they were committing to be responsible for a dog for it's entire life, to finding a pet home for every hound they bred or raced, I'd be skeptical until I saw it, but it would be an aknowledgement of the issue that they are creating and a proposal to deal with that.

The statement they put out is not proactive. It only proposes to address a small % of the problem and is looking for more money to do so.
    It completely misses the point that (a) these dogs are bred by these self-same people, (b) the issue of what to do with them when they finish racing should fall on their shoulders, (c) this could all be stopped if they stopped breeding, and (d) we don't want to give them more money to perpetuate this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Where did that statement mention retirees? Unless I missed something it just says 'greyhounds'. No specifics as to whether they were racing or the 'not fast enough'.

You can win.
    Stop overbreeding.
    Work with rescues to see dogs are properly rehomed.
    Ban any trainer/owner who is found to have drugged a dog for life.
    Make breeders responsible for properly rehoming every dog they produce.
    Stop looking for more money to do what should have been being done all along.

And it's waaay to late to be calling this 'pro-active', the correct term is 're-active'. If it was 'pro-active' this would have happened decades ago long before there was a problem.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I've gone through it point by point above. It's not taking ownership of the problems that are being created by the breeders own actions. If they were committing to be responsible for a dog for it's entire life, to finding a pet home for every hound they bred or raced, I'd be skeptical until I saw it, but it would be an aknowledgement of the issue that they are creating and a proposal to deal with that.

The statement they put out is not proactive. It only proposes to address a small % of the problem and is looking for more money to do so.
    It completely misses the point that (a) these dogs are bred by these self-same people, (b) the issue of what to do with them when they finish racing should fall on their shoulders, (c) this could all be stopped if they stopped breeding, and (d) we don't want to give them more money to perpetuate this problem.

In other words, you want an end to greyhound racing and nothing else will satisfy you.

In other words, you want an end to greyhound racing and nothing else will satisfy you.

I've actually put thought into my response and I'm engaging. That's not what I said. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

It's frustrating when I put the time in to answer you properly and explain what I would like and what is wrong with what is proposed, and then you simply throw your arms up and dismiss me with, "you want an end to greyhound racing and nothing else will satisfy you".

If the industry genuinely wants to make changes and accept what it's done wrong, it needs to stop dismissing people who are genuinely trying to engage them in conversation. If not, and if it does not attempt to understand and address concerns, it will be ultimately be banned. And it will only have itself to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Where did that statement mention retirees? Unless I missed something it just says 'greyhounds'. No specifics as to whether they were racing or the 'not fast enough'.

You can win.
    Stop overbreeding.
    Work with rescues to see dogs are properly rehomed.
    Ban any trainer/owner who is found to have drugged a dog for life.
    Make breeders responsible for properly rehoming every dog they produce.
    Stop looking for more money to do what should have been being done all along.

And it's waaay to late to be calling this 'pro-active', the correct term is 're-active'. If it was 'pro-active' this would have happened decades ago long before there was a problem.
    I sort of have a feeling that greyhound racing is nearing its end. Am thinking myself whenever I'm in in the right position, I'll take a rescue in though. Family always did it so I'd prefer to be good to an animal than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

No. As I explicitly said, it's showing either a complete lack of understanding of the issue or a cynical cash grab. Your posts are showing me that you only want to go around crying victim instead of fixing the issues that exist. TBH they're doing more to make me think the industry can't be fixed than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It has to end because none of the proposals will prevent the killing of dogs.

It's impossible to produce enough racing dogs without producing more unwanted dogs than can ever be rehomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

They're brazen! How about substantial funding for the rescues that have been picking up the pieces for years!

Rescues already get funding. This will be for greyhounds only.

Haha you're joking right? It's an absolute pittance for all they do when the IGB are getting 16 million annually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Wow, a poster who routinely goes on boards to bash the unemployed, water protestors, etc is found to participate in a sport which abuses defenseless animals for profit, why am I not surprised that someone so consisitently hateful thinks abuse of animals is a fun hobby.

Basically the Irish version of a Tory who enjoys foxhunting. Gross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Rescues already get funding. This will be for greyhounds only.

Not all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Discodog wrote: »
    Um ? Who to believe ? RTE or a bunch of proven Greyhound killers that have allowed hundreds of thousands of dogs to be killed ? The sickness in the Greyhound Industry has been known about for decades & people have constantly provided proof of dead dogs - 10,000 bodies on one farm. We don't need anymore proof. You can't start to put a problem right until you acknowledge the wrongs.

Tbh I would not put a bet on all of RTEs documentary being held up to proper scrutiny tbh. Yeah its evident from this thread you dont like any greyhound based sports - no matter that there are many good decent owners. Tbh I would consider the views you espose to be at the other (extreme) end of the issue tbh - with the shouting down of all and any greyhound activities been ongoing for a long time here. And even where it is shown that there's no real proof either way - the same ranting is continued. Btw you may want to identify which 'farm' are you talking about - and to put some proof to that allegation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

There was a big protest at Shelbourne dog track tonight, never seen so many people standing up for greyhound rights. The protest was larger than the last one, such a growing empathetic movement, Pauline McLynn was there in support too!

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbh I would not put a bet on all of RTEs documentary being held up to proper scrutiny tbh. Yeah its evident from this thread you dont like any greyhound based sports - no matter that there are many good decent owners. Tbh I would consider the views you espose to be at the other (extreme) end of the issue tbh - with the shouting down of all and any greyhound activities been ongoing for a long time here. And even where it is shown that there's no real proof either way - the same ranting is continued. Btw you may want to identify which 'farm' are you talking about - and to put some proof to that allegation...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/feb/16/ukcrime.animalwelfare

I quoted this earlier but maybe you just ignored it. When the carcasses were uncovered there was evidence that many were Irish dogs.

Yes I have been spouting, as you put it, for decades. I have read dozens of reports by organisations like the RSPCA - but they are extremists to you.

RTE were very late to the game & exposed nothing new. Yes I totally oppose racing because I know there is no way to produce enough dogs to race without thousands of unwanted dogs - it's simple genetics.

• Advertisement

I quoted this earlier but maybe you just ignored it. When the carcasses were uncovered there was evidence that many were Irish dogs.

Yes I have been spouting, as you put it, for decades. I have read dozens of reports by organisations like the RSPCA - but they are extremists to you.

RTE were very late to the game & exposed nothing new. Yes I totally oppose racing because I know there is no way to produce enough dogs to race without thousands of unwanted dogs - it's simple genetics.

Once again quoti ancient incidents. We've moved on a lot since then. Both IGB and ICC appeared before the Oireactheas committee last night and clarified the many errors in RTE Investigates.

Once again quoti ancient incidents. We've moved on a lot since then. Both IGB and ICC appeared before the Oireactheas committee last night and clarified the many errors in RTE Investigates.

Of course they did & their political friends will ensure that the killing continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So far the biggest sign of progress is a reactionary adoption process that makes zero sense for them to be in charge of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Long article on RTE today

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0709/1061134-greyhounds/

The impression is that they are trying to unscramble eggs?

and admitting how appalling things ARE currently? Not in the past.

Good post , spot on.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Long article on RTE today

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0709/1061134-greyhounds/

The impression is that they are trying to unscramble eggs?

and admitting how appalling things ARE currently? Not in the past.

Most of that is already in place. The big problem is owners not informing the Stud Book when a dog leaves their care for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

They're doing nothing, based on that article, that
    1. Couldn't have been done earlier
    2. Remedies the problems pointed out in the documentary: illegal coursing, overbreeding, doping

Hopefully, they're just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Most of that is already in place. The big problem is owners not informing the Stud Book when a dog leaves their care for whatever reason.

:confused:That it is clearly not being followed ? The big problem is the delay and denial

Igotadose wrote: »
    They're doing nothing, based on that article, that
    1. Couldn't have been done earlier
    2. Remedies the problems pointed out in the documentary: illegal coursing, overbreeding, doping

Hopefully, they're just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

There was NO illegal coursing shown in that program. The coursing on Whiddy Island was a legal Open coursing meet.

Illegal hunting with any dogs isn’t the fault of greyhound owners.

The breeding figures used in the report, which RTÉ based their research on were faulty. They were based on breeding numbers from the height of the Celtic Tiger, which I’m sure you’re glad to hear, have halved since, leading to the erroneous claim that 6,000 greyhounds are culled every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There was NO illegal coursing shown in that program. The coursing on Whiddy Island was a legal Open coursing meet.

Illegal hunting with any dogs isn’t the fault of greyhound owners.

The breeding figures used in the report, which RTÉ based their research on were faulty. They were based on breeding numbers from the height of the Celtic Tiger, which I’m sure you’re glad to hear, have halved since, leading to the erroneous claim that 6,000 greyhounds are culled every year.

So, what are the breeding numbers today? Does the IGB have them and are they available publically? Their own numbers I commented on from their report show 2750 litters per year. How many is that? (as I recall you didn't comment on the numbers I gave you then.)

And, illegal coursing still happens, does it not?

Advertisement