Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Seems thanks to rte investigates programme that Barry's piss tea have at long last stopped their sponsorship of the so called sport of greyhound racing. Any idea if rose of tralee organisation is still sponsering?

see

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rose-of-tralee-participants-abused-over-greyhound-link-938251.html

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Seems thanks to rte investigates programme that Barry's piss tea have at long last stopped their sponsorship of the so called sport of greyhound racing. Any idea if rose of tralee organisation is still sponsering?

You already new the answer before asking

IGB were sponsoring the Rose of Tralee. Not the other way round. Daithi was getting serious abuse online as were some of the roses. Not from the greyhound racing fraternity, I hasten to add.

For the record, once again, the figure of 6,000 unaccounted for doesn’t mean killed. At the time of the report, I had 3 retired greyhounds which would have been classed as unaccounted. Simply because there was no mechanism for me to report them as retired and still in my possession. I’m only one of thousands of small time owners who would have had at least one retired greyhound. Thankfully that’s now changed.
    The only true fact to come from that very one sided program was the killing of greyhounds in knackeries. Everything else was of a historical nature with absolutely no proof, or was from another country and not even greyhounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

IGB were sponsoring the Rose of Tralee. Not the other way round. Daithi was getting serious abuse online as were some of the roses. Not from the greyhound racing fraternity, I hasten to add.

For the record, once again, the figure of 6,000 unaccounted for doesn’t mean killed. At the time of the report, I had 3 retired greyhounds which would have been classed as unaccounted. Simply because there was no mechanism for me to report them as retired and still in my possession. I’m only one of thousands of small time owners who would have had at least one retired greyhound. Thankfully that’s now changed.
    The only true fact to come from that very one sided program was the killing of greyhounds in knackeries. Everything else was of a historical nature with absolutely no proof, or was from another country and not even greyhounds.

What percentage of pups born go on to race successfully ?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Discodog wrote: »

Greater than the number of horses that race, there are more horses culled each year than greyhounds yet I don't hear one whimper about it.

• Advertisement

Greater than the number of horses that race, there are more horses culled each year than greyhounds yet I don't hear one whimper about it.

The thread is about Greyhounds. Plenty of people, including me, complain about it.

Can you answer my question regarding Greyhounds ?

Graces7 wrote: »
    and?

And I was proven right. Professional protesters. Not dog lovers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I wasn't a water protester, I would totally protest Greyhound racing. I'm guessing the likes of Bannasidhe also wouldn't have been a water protester. Minimising and diverting seems to be all you can do.

Can you answer my question ?

Can you answer my question ?

Even if I had the figures I won’t answer because I know that whatever I say won’t be believed.

When I see 6 greyhounds racing, I see 6 well trained, schooled and fed athletes. Not 6 cuddly couch potatoes.

Even if I had the figures I won’t answer because I know that whatever I say won’t be believed.

When I see 6 greyhounds racing, I see 6 well trained, schooled and fed athletes. Not 6 cuddly couch potatoes.

You have a lot of experience & have expressed a lot of knowledge here. So have a guess as to how many pups, in a typical litter, go on to race successfully ?

When I see 6 Greyhounds racing, I see lots of dead dogs, abused dogs, unwanted dogs.

You seem to deride the idea of a Greyhound on a couch. Where do your retired dogs live ?

You have a lot of experience & have expressed a lot of knowledge here. So have a guess as to how many pups, in a typical litter, go on to race successfully ?
    I would guesstimate 95% race either in Ireland or the Uk
    When I see 6 Greyhounds racing, I see lots of dead dogs, abused dogs, unwanted dogs.

That’s where we differ. You’re entitled to your opinion, I can only hope that it’s based on fact.

You seem to deride the idea of a Greyhound on a couch. Where do your retired dogs live ?

The last 3 I had retired at the one time, only one was on the couch. One of the others wrecked the house and was happier in the kennel with his companion. They actually died within weeks of each other at 10 years of age. The couch potato died at roughly the same age. The oldest one lived to 14. The youngest retired died of cancer aged 8

Any more questions will have to wait. Work calls.

Any more questions will have to wait. Work calls.

You seriously expect people to believe that 95% of the puppies bred go on to race ?

The Preferred Results report said:

The report warned that the size of the State’s dog pool was “out of control”, noting that some 15,000 greyhound pups were born every year in Ireland while the number of dogs racing annually was some 3,600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭screamer

I’m not particularly shocked, these dogs are bred to race, to win. That’s their purpose. They’re not fast enough, they’ve no purpose. Now, let’s think about the pet dogs who are surrendered to pounds every year and put down because they’ve also no purpose when their owners don’t want them any longer. Same issue no purpose, put down. I don’t get the vitriol towards the racing industry, when it’s widespread amongst dog owners to put their dogs down for no good reason. Pet dogs are, for the most part shipped to the UK when no new owners can be found here, in the hope someone will want a pet dog. Who will want a slow greyhound which has most likely been badly socialized? The issue in racing should be tighter controls on breeding in the first place.

screamer wrote: »
    I’m not particularly shocked, these dogs are bred to race, to win. That’s their purpose. They’re not fast enough, they’ve no purpose. Now, let’s think about the pet dogs who are surrendered to pounds every year and put down because they’ve also no purpose when their owners don’t want them any longer. Same issue no purpose, put down. I don’t get the vitriol towards the racing industry, when it’s widespread amongst dog owners to put their dogs down for no good reason. Pet dogs are, for the most part shipped to the UK when no new owners can be found here, in the hope someone will want a pet dog. Who will want a slow greyhound which has most likely been badly socialized? The issue in racing should be tighter controls on breeding in the first place.

A dog doesn't have a purpose. It's not a thing, an object. The same people that object to the needless killing of Greyhounds also object to the needless killing of any dog. Pet dogs aren't shipped, on mass to the UK. Rescues do an amazing job of rehoming them here & more people are choosing to rehome.

The vitriol is because the Greyhound Industry think it acceptable to kill thousands of perfectly healthy dogs.

Tighter controls can't work because you can't breed enough dogs to race without producing huge "waste".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A dog doesn't have a purpose. It's not a thing, an object. The same people that object to the needless killing of Greyhounds also object to the needless killing of any dog. Pet dogs aren't shipped, on mass to the UK. Rescues do an amazing job of rehoming them here & more people are choosing to rehome.

The vitriol is because the Greyhound Industry think it acceptable to kill thousands of perfectly healthy dogs.

Tighter controls can't work because you can't breed enough dogs to race without producing huge "waste".

Taxpayers aren't subsidizing the 'overbreed pet dog' industry (that doesn't exist.)

With, may I add, a ring-fenced portion of the budget, very different than the rest of the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Graces7 wrote: »

see

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rose-of-tralee-participants-abused-over-greyhound-link-938251.html
    Brilliant. Thanks. Knew about Barry's but wasnt sure about the rose of tralee sponsorship.

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Thanks. Knew about Barry's but wasnt sure about the rose of tralee sponsorship.

The IGB were using taxpayers money to sponsor the Rose of Tralee. I wonder how much more of our money they are giving away whilst claiming they don't have enough to care for unwanted dogs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From the link posted above ...
    Entrants to this year’s Rose of Tralee have been subjected to “malicious online threats” due to the event’s association with dog racing, according to the Irish Greyhound Board which has pulled its sponsorship of the festival.

The board and the Kingdom Greyhound Stadium announced it would “reluctantly withdraw financial support from the 2019 Rose of Tralee Festival” following engagement and consultation with festival organisers.

So much like some of the online abuse directed at Barrys by a small number of 'activists' (comments which Barry's deleted afaik) - we have similar now threatening entrants to the Rose of Tralee festival with "malicious online threats" to the point that the IGB have made the decision to withdraw its funding from the event in the interests of the entrants safety.

About time these online trolls are tracked and prosecuted imo. There is never any excuse for either bullying or threatening people online. Hopefully the matter has been referred to the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

gozunda wrote: »

So much like some of the online abuse directed at Barrys by a small number of 'activists' (comments which Barry's deleted afaik) - we have similar now threatening entrants to the Rose of Tralee festival with "malicious online threats" to the point that the IGB have made the decision to withdraw its funding from the event in the interests of the entrants safety.

About time these online trolls are tracked and prosecuted imo. There is never any excuse for either bullying or threatening people online. Hopefully the matter has been referred to the Gardai.

What do you want to prosecute them for? Because you seem to treat most negative feedback as terrible. Actual threats of violence, prosecute away but in general, most of feedback has been simply a refusal to engage with brand if they engage with IGB et al.

gozunda wrote: »

I agree that online abuse or threats are wrong & glad to see that it's a small number. I would doubt that the RoT would want to be associated with what we saw on RTE.

By the way do you think the IGB should be giving money, from the taxpayer, to the RoT ?

batgoat wrote: »
    What do you want to prosecute them for? Because you seem to treat most negative feedback as terrible. Actual threats of violence, prosecute away but in general, most of feedback has been simply a refusal to engage with brand if they engage with IGB et al.

Becsuse online harassment and threats are against the law.

In this case it's clearly not "feedback" (sic) . The threats as detailed in the article were directed at the contestants.

I do find it quite amazing that there are a small minority who will condemn anything to do with greyhound racing etc but believe that online abuse such as specified in the article is somehow ok. A case of double standards certainly

I agree that online abuse or threats are wrong & glad to see that it's a small number. I would doubt that the RoT would want to be associated with what we saw on RTE. By the way do you think the IGB should be giving money, from the taxpayer, to the RoT ?

That's up to the RoT to decide - not the online trolls. It was KGS (not IGB) who took the decision to stop their sponsoring of the the RoT - afaik they did that due to concerns for the safety of the contestants receiving the threats. Real lovely lot these 'activists' engaging in this type of behaviour to be sure.

I reckon you would be best direct your question to the IGB - I'm fairly certain they are allowed to sponsor who they like or are you suggesting that any bodies who receive funding should be prevented from sponsoring events etc? And no - I dont have any particular view on that issue. Perhaps you could start a campaign for that as well? I imagine that would suit as for all intents and purposes you appear to be right in the centre of the ban ban ban contingent here .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭screamer

Course a dog has a purpose, a racing dog.... well you don’t need to be Einstein to work out their purpose.

And yes most dogs who cannot be rehomed here are shipped to the UK. I worked with rescues for a long time transporting them in my car as they journeyed to their rescue centers and onwards. Perhaps that is why I am not so outraged I’ve seen the best of dogs put down because that’s humans for you, a throw away society. I’ve no rose tinted glasses, or wonderful ideals. I wonder how many outraged people have ever done any work with rescues or unwanted dogs..... I’d bet most haven’t and have some big rose tinted idea of how things should be, but no idea of the realities and struggles that rescues face trying to save surrendered dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

screamer wrote: »
    I wonder how many outraged people have ever done any work with rescues or unwanted dogs..... I’d bet most haven’t and have some big rose tinted idea of how things should be, but no idea of the realities and struggles that rescues face trying to save surrendered dogs.

I have. And I will still condemn the overbreeding greyhound industry. It's not one or the other, you can fight both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Right.heres a question for ye to put ye thinking.
    Fox hunting.
    Up to 80 hounds and more kept in kennels.
    Hundreds of pups bred every year.
    Hunted for an average 4 or 5 years if they are lucky and avoid injury.
    Some used for breeding.
    End of life can’t be rehomed as they are not pets.
    Where do ye reckon all these hounds end up.
    Retirement home for foxhounds?
    Yeah right.
    Have a think about that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

About a dozen members(mostly men) of The Irish Retired Greyhound Trust paraded retired dogs up and down the protest lines in a propaganda exercise at Shelbourne Park this evening and shouted abuse at the protesters who heavily outnumbered them.

There were 2 assaults on protesters by greyhound racers at the entrance to the stadium which spilled out onto the road. 2 assaults which comprised of one man attacking a woman who was on loudspeaker, and another man attacking a male protester. And it was all caught on video with over a hundred witnesses. Gardai came and pursued the attackers, at least one was caught by Gardai trying to escape the back entrance of the stadium.

Overall, this evening was a spectacular own goal on behalf of the aggressive greyhound racers.

Advertisement