Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭jackboy

Right.heres a question for ye to put ye thinking.
    Fox hunting.
    Up to 80 hounds and more kept in kennels.
    Hundreds of pups bred every year.
    Hunted for an average 4 or 5 years if they are lucky and avoid injury.
    Some used for breeding.
    End of life can’t be rehomed as they are not pets.
    Where do ye reckon all these hounds end up.
    Retirement home for foxhounds?
    Yeah right.
    Have a think about that one

I think we all know it’s true for all dogs, including pets. Most pets are killed at home though (drowned as puppies etc) so we have no idea of numbers. Reduced breeding of all dogs is the best solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

klaaaz wrote: »
    Overall, this evening was a spectacular own goal on behalf of the aggressive greyhound racers.

Lost Harold's Cross already, now can't even enjoy Shelbourne Park.

Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Right.heres a question for ye to put ye thinking.
    Fox hunting.
    Up to 80 hounds and more kept in kennels.
    Hundreds of pups bred every year.
    Hunted for an average 4 or 5 years if they are lucky and avoid injury.
    Some used for breeding.
    End of life can’t be rehomed as they are not pets.
    Where do ye reckon all these hounds end up.
    Retirement home for foxhounds?
    Yeah right.
    Have a think about that one

What's your point, are you saying that people opposing greyhound industry support fox hunting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

No both of ye missed the point.
    What I’m saying is people are outraged about the treatment of greyhounds and rightly so.
    My point is the exact same thing is happening to thousands of foxhounds except it’s happening behind closed doors without being highlighted by RTÉ and nobody thinks about it.
    Where do ye think all them foxhounds end up when they are no longer useful to their owners.
    The end of a captive bolt gun is where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭jackboy

What I’m saying is people are outraged about the treatment of greyhounds and rightly so.
    My point is the exact same thing is happening to thousands of foxhounds except it’s happening behind closed doors without being highlighted by RTÉ and nobody thinks about it.
    Where do ye think all them foxhounds end up when they are no longer useful to their owners.

Sure that’s people. Wait till RTÉ shows all the abuse going on in crèches in their documentary this week. The outrage will all switch to that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

jackboy wrote: »

Sure that’s people. Wait till RTÉ shows all the abuse going on in crèches in their documentary this week. The outrage will all switch to that direction.
    Cant really slant rte at the moment. At long last rte investigates programme showed up evil sport of greyhound racing. And now next week will show up cruelty to babies in creches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

gozunda wrote: »
    Becsuse online harassment and threats are against the law.

In this case it's clearly not "feedback" (sic) . The threats as detailed in the article were directed at the contestants.

I do find it quite amazing that there are a small minority who will condemn anything to do with greyhound racing etc but believe that online abuse such as specified in the article is somehow ok. A case of double standards certainly

I'm looking at the comments that are quoted in the article, none would be classified as threatening.... There's disgust at the IGB involvement in the RoT but nothing that would violate the law. Saying there's blood on hands etc is not illegal. Anything actually criminal, I'd favour pursuing but neither the IGB or yourself have displayed any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

batgoat wrote: »
    I'm looking at the comments that are quoted in the article, none would be classified as threatening.... There's disgust at the IGB involvement in the RoT but nothing that would violate the law. Saying there's blood on hands etc is not illegal. Anything actually criminal, I'd favour pursuing but neither the IGB or yourself have displayed any.

From what I've read - no they have not published the details of the "malicious online threats” How would they - considering the threats were directed at private individuals and likley would have been referred to the Gardai.

Btw RoT is not 'involved ' (sic) with the IGB - one local stadium provided sponsorship for the RoT. Which that stadium have withdrawn after online intimidation and harassment of the RoT contestants. Afaik the sponsorship was withdrawn in the interest of the contestants safety. This has already been explained- how hard is this to understand?

I've seen various of these online campaigns against companies and groups and how they are used to harass and intimidate those targeted. In this instance the target was not the RoT but the individual contestants. Fuking sick tbh. These campaigns unfortunately also attract the lunatic fringe who are not behind intimidation and up to and including death threats. And no I've no idea about this particular campaign btw. But I've certainly seen this with regard to other orchrastated campaigns. Tbh this type of thing is little more than online bullying and those who are tracked down for issuing serious threats deserve the full weight of the law imo.

As for the stupid 'blood on hands' etc - this is puerile and fairly pathetic tbh. I could accuse you of the same over many issues and the would all be highly dubious. That's the nature of flinging ****e in the hope some will stick. It is a dishonest and disengeous means of protest which can be turned on anyone with whom you do not agree. Tbh it's little better than witch hunting and imo says more about the mentality of those using such tactics - than those who are being victimised tbh.

The thing is putting a dog down is not illegal . Thousands of pet dogs are put down and ime killed because they are no longer wanted, have grown too old, are sick or have behavioural issues. That and some owners who grow tired of their pets and often the easiest thing to do is get rid of them. This is not simply an issue of greyhounds or other working dogs. It happens to all breeds But where is the outrage for that? No we just have the screamers who like to use the issue as a hammer to ban working dogs such as greyhounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

I've seen various of these online campaigns against companies and groups and how they are used to harass and intimidate those targeted. In this instance the target was not the RoT but the individual contestants. Fuking sick tbh. These campaigns unfortunately also attract the lunatic fringe who are not behind intimidation and up to and including death threats. And no I've no idea about this particular campaign btw. But I've certainly seen this with regard to other orchrastated campaigns. Tbh this type of thing is little more than online bullying and those who are tracked down for issuing serious threats deserve the full weight of the law imo.

As for the stupid 'blood on hands' etc - this is puerile and fairly pathetic tbh. I could accuse you of the same over many issues and the would all be highly dubious. That's the nature of flinging ****e in the hope some will stick. It is a dishonest and disengeous means of protest which can be turned on anyone with whom you do not agree. Tbh it's little better than witch hunting and imo says more about the mentality of those using such tactics - than those who are being victimised tbh.
    The thing is putting a dog down is not illegal . Thousands of pet dogs are put down and ime killed because they are no longer wanted, have grown too old, are sick or have behavioural issues. That and some owners who grow tired of their pets and often the easiest thing to do is get rid of them. This is not simply an issue of greyhounds or other working dogs. It happens to all breeds But where is the outrage for that? No we just have the screamers who like to use the issue as a hammer to ban working dogs such as greyhounds.

Out of all this cursing rambling, is the heat on saving thousands of greyhounds from slaughter getting to you poor thing? It's noticeable that the dog death tracks have put out an SOS to their faithful to spend their dosh (at a reduced admittance) on the cruel subsidised sport this week.

You should consult your racer comrades on their assaults at Shelbourne tonight, ain't video evidence a wonderful modern invention?(along with over a hundred witnesses) Oh, the recordings also show some racist tendencies from a few racers with chants of "go back where you came from" to protesters, the Gardai are heavily involved now so no further comment! (anyone can search for this video evidence on youtube using tags of "protesters attacked Shelbourne park").

• Advertisement

Out of all this cursing rambling, is the heat on saving thousands of greyhounds from slaughter getting to you poor thing? It's noticeable that the dog death tracks have put out an SOS to their faithful to spend their dosh (at a reduced admittance) on the cruel subsidised sport this week.
    You should consult your racer comrades on their assaults at Shelbourne tonight, ain't video evidence a wonderful modern invention?(along with over a hundred witnesses) Oh, the recordings also show some racist tendencies from a few racers with chants of "go back where you came from" to protesters, the Gardai are heavily involved now so no further comment! (anyone can search for this video evidence on youtube using tags of "protesters attacked Shelbourne park").

Really quite pointless discussing anything with those who make up rubbish and choose to bash a drum and drown out everyone else.

As to your puerile comment. First incorrect - get your facts straight. I've no hand or interest in greyhounds. Secondly take the ad hominem elsewhere. Thirdly my views on such 'protests' (sic) are that harassing and attacking those attending a legal activity is a sure fire way of inciting a reaction and or violence. One thing for sure some of the activists might want to check that their online activity isn't being investigated by the Gardai considering the last article regarding RoT contestants receiving "malicious online threats”.

I have little doubt that much of the harassment and / or intimidation under the banner of 'protest' is orchrastated by a small number and that must people are innocently unaware aware of the few unsavory characters who most often organise and get involved in this type of activity and who go out of their way to cause trouble. And that's where where things are atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Really quite pointless discussing anything with those who make up rubbish and choose to bash a drum and drown out everyone else.

As to your puerile comment. First incorrect - get your facts straight. I've no hand or interest in greyhounds. Secondly take the ad hominem elsewhere. Thirdly my views on such 'protests' (sic) are that harassing and attacking those attending a legal activity is a sure fire way of inciting a reaction and or violence. One thing for sure some of the activists might want to check that their online activity isn't being investigated by the Gardai considering the last article regarding RoT contestants receiving "malicious online threats”.

I have little doubt that much of the harassment and / or intimidation under the banner of 'protest' is orchrastated by a small number and that must people are innocently unaware aware of the few unsavory characters who most often organise and get involved in this type of activity and who go out of their way to cause trouble. And that's where where things are atm.

Boo hoo, you are getting hot under the collar at the public awakening of the fact that 6,000 greyhounds are slaughtered per year for being too slow. Those murdered dogs number tens of thousands over the years at the taxpayers expense(nearly €17m per year)

Have you consulted your Shelbourne friends who attacked protesters this evening? They are being investigated by the Gardai with lots of video evidence, they were caught on video physically attacking the public objecting to the slaughter of thousands of dogs for fun. The publicity of those attacks will hurt your murderous cause of the furry babys.

Just a friendly reminder, the dog loving public vastly outnumber the greyhound death racing goers by the order of at least 100-1 perhaps? The protests will continue as it's a moral duty to object to killing animals en masse for fun.

Boo hoo, you are getting hot under the collar at the public awakening of the fact that 6,000 greyhounds are slaughtered per year for being too slow. Those murdered dogs number tens of thousands over the years at the taxpayers expense(nearly €17m per year)Have you consulted your Shelbourne friends who attacked protesters this evening? They are being investigated by the Gardai with lots of video evidence, they were caught on video physically attacking the public objecting to the slaughter of thousands of dogs for fun. The publicity of those attacks will hurt your murderous cause of the furry babys.Just a friendly reminder, the dog loving public vastly outnumber the greyhound death racing goers by the order of at least 100-1 perhaps? The protests will continue as it's a moral duty to object to killing animals en masse for fun.

'Furry baby's ? Lol. Is that you call them? But why the bs hyperbole by way of reply? Can't discuss the issue rationally no? Approx 30,000 pet dogs disappear each year and funnily enough I see no uproar regarding that.

As to your 'slaughter' rubbish. I think you will find that all sides have agreed that there is no proper information as to where the alleged 6000 dogs go. But to be sure many are exported to the UK - just like the thousands of puppies bred here and sold. So I do have to ask what have you against other dogs - that you have no concern for them? All I see are the same bunch of screamers who dont like anything to with greyhound racing - no matter what. But why the silly ad hominem again? Let me demonstrate by a paraphrase of yourself - have you consulted your 'activist' friends? Guaranteed the trouble makers are the usual eejits that ususlly get involved in this type of malarkey. The public do need to know the type of crap which is the hallmark of the small number of organisers of many of these protests - who may go out of their way to incite violence and a reaction. Tbh it's old hat at this stage and imo the powes that be are well aware of this type of claptrap. 'Moral duty" my rear end. This type of rubbish is so transparent as to be little better than low level **** stirring. But hey there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

From what I've read - no they have not published the details of the "malicious online threats” How would they - considering the threats were directed at private individuals and likley would have been referred to the Gardai.

Btw RoT is not 'involved ' (sic) with the IGB - one local stadium provided sponsorship for the RoT. Which that stadium have withdrawn after online intimidation and harassment of the RoT contestants. Afaik the sponsorship was withdrawn in the interest of the contestants safety. This has already been explained- how hard is this to understand?

There's literally no reference in that article to anything being referred to the Gardai and it's perfectly possible to reference threats without divulging identities. If in the event of actual threats, I happily support convictions but the existence of such threats is very much so something that is unclear at this point in time. Similar to the Barry's Tea ones which you cannot substantiate. It seems more like the IGB on the back foot trying to generate sympathy directed at them tbh.

Also saying that how protest is engaged in is dishonest or puerile does not make it illegal. The full weight of the law cannot and should not be able to pursue such instances of protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just read the last pages in one go and the sheer amount of long winded deflection from those defending greyhound racing is astounding and revealing

A consistent refusal to face and respond to the real basic issues that are being raised .

Just catching up with my pals on last night's carry-on outside Shelbourne Park. I do hope that there is video evidence of protesters trying to stop customers entering by less than peaceful means. I hope that these so called animal lovers treat their animals better than they treated people going about their lawful business last night.
    SHAME, SHAME SHAME ON YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Why do ye feel the need to video people going about their own business, same in Tralee and Cork, just another form of imtidation isn't it?

And as for the constant negative abuse aimed at business let's call what it is bullyboy tactics. Not one person here has said a bad word about horse racing yet even though 6000 are called each year for meat to export to France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And as for the constant negative abuse aimed at business let's call what it is bullyboy tactics. Not one person here has said a bad word about horse racing yet even though 6000 are called each year for meat to export to France

Because that's just deflection that started pretty much when the thread started.

Do you believe live export of Greyhounds should continue? At least one of the racing advocates on the thread (gozunda) says it should be stopped. I think it'll be the most effective way to reduce the abuses documented by the IGB and the RTE in their documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

'Furry baby's ? Lol. Is that you call them? But why the bs hyperbole by way of reply? Can't discuss the issue rationally no? Approx 30,000 pet dogs disappear each year and funnily enough I see no uproar regarding that.

Evidence ?

• Advertisement

My point is the exact same thing is happening to thousands of foxhounds except it’s happening behind closed doors without being highlighted by RTand nobody thinks about it.

I can guarantee that all of the people, that oppose Greyhound racing, also oppose fox hunting. It will be banned but Ireland will be the last to impose a ban.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Because that's just deflection that started pretty much when the thread started.

Do you believe live export of Greyhounds should continue? At least one of the racing advocates on the thread (gozunda) says it should be stopped. I think it'll be the most effective way to reduce the abuses documented by the IGB and the RTE in their documentary.

Depends on where your talking, over 5000 are sold to the UK each year. China has been banned for a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Depends on where your talking, over 5000 are sold to the UK each year. China has been banned for a number of years.

So, yes to the UK but no to China? By eliminating live export, the overbreeding and culling issues go away. But, you're o.k. with it as long as it's to the UK?

screamer wrote: »
    Course a dog has a purpose, a racing dog.... well you don’t need to be Einstein to work out their purpose.

And yes most dogs who cannot be rehomed here are shipped to the UK. I worked with rescues for a long time transporting them in my car as they journeyed to their rescue centers and onwards. Perhaps that is why I am not so outraged I’ve seen the best of dogs put down because that’s humans for you, a throw away society. I’ve no rose tinted glasses, or wonderful ideals. I wonder how many outraged people have ever done any work with rescues or unwanted dogs..... I’d bet most haven’t and have some big rose tinted idea of how things should be, but no idea of the realities and struggles that rescues face trying to save surrendered dogs.

We choose the "purpose" - not the dog. We decide what we will use dogs for with no regard for their well being.

I have also rescued dogs & worked with rescues. I find it strange that you care enough to help rescues but you think it's fine to accept unnecessary killing. The number of dogs rehomed has increased constantly & the number of dogs killed has reduced a lot.

jackboy wrote: »
    I think we all know it’s true for all dogs, including pets. Most pets are killed at home though (drowned as puppies etc) so we have no idea of numbers. Reduced breeding of all dogs is the best solution.

Simply not true. The number of Vet practices is rapidly increasing. The vast majority do care about their dogs.

Where's your evidence for such a claim ?

Killing a healthy dog is unethical & the Veterinary organisations are discussing this. No one should have the right to kill a dog if there is an alternative. A dog is a living creature - not property.

Igotadose wrote: »
    So, yes to the UK but no to China? By eliminating live export, the overbreeding and culling issues go away. But, you're o.k. with it as long as it's to the UK?

Wasn't the over breeding dealt with during the week, I will post the link later on.

Wasn't the over breeding dealt with during the week, I will post the link later on.

Nothing has been dealt with.

It's a simple calculation.

How many puppies born minus how many go on to race.

The IGB won't answer that question.

Discodog wrote: »
    Nothing has been dealt with.

It's a simple calculation.

How many puppies born minus how many go on to race.

The IGB won't answer that question.

They did during questions in the Dail last week.

• Advertisement

They did during questions in the Dail last week.

Can you give the figures ?

Advertisement