Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

When it comes to any animal rights issues, the only opinions I take seriously are those of vegans.

If you think greyhound racing is cruel but then eat a full Irish breakfast and a fillet steak for dinner, well then you only care about a particular type of animal.

Is it cruel to slaughter animals? Yes
    Is it cruel to keep animals in captivity? Yes
    Is it cruel to race animals? Yes
    Is it cruel to spray fly killer in your home? Yes
    Is it cruel to go fishing? Yes
    Will any of those things change? No

A lot of pet owners are going to be very upset tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

gozunda wrote: »
    A lot of pet owners are going to very upset tbh.

Don't be silly. You really think that, others like me, will look at their pet dog & think it's cruel just because someone on the internet says so ?

Discodog wrote: »
    You said
    "Approx 30,000 pet dogs disappear each year"
    30,000 dogs bred doesn't mean that 30,000 disappear. I abhor puppy farming & look forward to the day when they are all closed.

They are unaccounted and yes they disappear- unless you know exactly where each if those 30,000 dogs go to or are you just picking on greyhound owners again?

:rolleyes:

They are unaccounted and yes they disappear- unless you know exactly where each if those 30,000 dogs go to or are you just picking on greyhound owners again?

:rolleyes:

To be of value to the breeders they are pedigree dogs & microchipped. They are sold for a lot of money & the new owners register the chips. So they don't disappear

Don't be silly. You really think that, others like me, will look at their pet dog & think it's cruel just because someone on the internet says so ?

Congratulations. Thats the point!

There is a whole movement to ban pet ownership on the same grounds that it is cruel and unnatural. PETA actively support this idea that pet ownership is 'cruelty"

In the US PETA have been stealing and killing peoples pets for some time now. I hear the same lunacy here as well.

The point is that It is easy to use labels and throw ****

Exactly what is being done in the instance of all the other supposed definitions of 'cruelty'

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/killing-animals-petas-open-secret_b_59e78243e4b0e60c4aa36711

• Advertisement

There is a whole movement to ban pet ownership on the same grounds that it is cruel and unnatural. PETA actively support this idea that pet ownership is 'cruelty"

In the US PETA have been stealing and killing peoples pers for done time now. I here the same lunacy here as well.

The point is that It is easy to use labels and throw ****

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/killing-animals-petas-open-secret_b_59e78243e4b0e60c4aa36711

PETA are a bunch of idiots & not relevant in Ireland or to this discussion. You are still searching for the mass of extremists that don't exist here.

PETA are a bunch of idiots & not relevant in Ireland or to this discussion. You are still searching for the mass of extremists that don't exist here.

Yes they believe keeping pets is 'cruel'

But not just PETA btw. We have some high profile animal rightists in this country who seek to ban all and any use or ownership. As per Boards ToU - no I'm not giving names. Google it if you want.

Not just PETA btw. We have some high profile animal rightists in this country who seek to ban all and any use or ownership. As per Biards ToU - no I'm not giving names. Google it if you want.

A tiny number of people as well you know. You choose to lump animal welfare people & animal rights people together to suit your agenda.

A tiny number of people as well you know. You choose to lump animal welfare people & animal rights people together to suit your agenda.

Nope. The number of extremists appear to be growing and bizarrely are being supplemented by ones from the UK relocating here after falling foul of the law there etc. And yes I know of two such in this area alone.

I have no 'agenda' (sic) tbh. I simply hate the use of disingenuous language such as 'cruel' because someone on the internet says it is. I thought you understood that no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Gozunda has agreed greyhound breeding for export should be stopped. I think he/she just enjoys bringing up the animal rights people as a deflection to see what kind of reaction he/she will get. Getting back to the issue at hand, the failure of the IGB to effectively run its business with greyhound welfare as top priority, needs to be addressed. Ending live export is a first step. Implementing the 'taxi medallion' style of breed-for-racing licensing as MarinersBlues proposed seems like an excellent second step.

Ending coursing across the board is a third.

But, go after the money first, the IGB and it's abject incompetence and bloated staffing (over 1000 employees, what's that about 100 per track?!) and budget 'ringfencing.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Nope. The number of extremists appear to be growing and bizarrely are being supplemented by ones from the UK relocating here after falling foul of the law there etc. And yes I know of two such in this area alone.

I have no 'agenda' (sic) tbh. I simply hate the use of disingenuous language such as 'cruel' because someone on the internet says it is. I thought you understood that no?

It's a rapidly growing movement yet we haven't witnessed any person arguing for it in the thread... And boards attracts plenty of extreme views.

To be of value to the breeders they are pedigree dogs & microchipped. They are sold for a lot of money & the new owners register the chips. So they don't disappear

You really didnt read the links did you?
    Many puppies are sold online for a quick profit and often raised without proper care, love or attention and sold to unsuitable households. The ISPCA warn that:

These animals often end up being unwanted, abandoned and destroyed each year – due to behavioural issues or simply because they are just not the right type of puppy or dog for the family.

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-puppy-farm-dogs-3008473-Oct2016/

Igotadose wrote: »
    Gozunda has agreed greyhound breeding for export should be stopped. I think he/she just enjoys bringing up the animal rights people as a deflection to see what kind of reaction he/she will get. Getting back to the issue at hand, the failure of the IGB to effectively run its business with greyhound welfare as top priority, needs to be addressed. Ending live export is a first step. Implementing the 'taxi medallion' style of breed-for-racing licensing as MarinersBlues proposed seems like an excellent second step.

But, go after the money first, the IGB and it's abject incompetence and bloated staffing (over 1000 employees, what's that about 100 per track?!) and budget 'ringfencing.'

You could stop throwing ****e in the third person and try and have an actual discussion poster to poster. But hey what's new?

And yes I agreed with another poster about stopping exporting of all dogs.

They don't end up in knackers. And as others have mentioned you just continue to deflect over & over again.

Igotadose wrote: »

I just can't see that working. You aren't going to breed a litter, of say 5 dogs, & have all them suitable for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

About 500 dogs have died on dog tracks around Ireland since 2015, that is cruelty killing dogs for sport. Then there are the 6,000+ killed per year for being too slow..

They don't end up in knackers. And as others have mentioned you just continue to deflect over & over again.

Wrong and incorrect. You're the one who keeps asking daft questions and looking for 'proof'. I simply provided same

These pets often end up killed and buried in holes or worse in my experience. But some dont like that being brought up as a problem of dogs as a whole do they?

klaaaz wrote: »
    About 500 dogs have died on dog tracks around Ireland since 2015, that is cruelty killing dogs for sport. Then there are the 6,000+ killed per year for being too slow..

Then add in the ones that are too old. A greyhound costs a lot to keep, as I well know :) There is no way that owners are going to pay for unwanted dogs. It's estimated at €2500 per year per dog.

If a breeder breeds one litter of 5 & say 2 go on to race, that €7500 in upkeep for the remaining 3 dogs.

batgoat wrote: »
    It's a rapidly growing movement yet we haven't witnessed any person arguing for it in the thread... And boards attracts plenty of extreme views.

And yet we have some throwing the same label at others - because they disagree with greyhound racing etc. It's the two sides of the same coin - in case you haven't seen that.

Who ever said that 6,000+ are killed every year? I think that the expression was unaccounted for due to lack of regulations. My 3 retirees would have been amongst those 6,000.

• Advertisement

Who ever said that 6,000+ are killed every year? I think that the expression was unaccounted for due to lack of regulations. My 3 retirees would have been amongst those 6,000.

24 hours later & still no answer

Can you answer my question ?

What percentage of pups born go on to race successfully ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭jackboy

Then add in the ones that are too old. A greyhound costs a lot to keep, as I well know :) There is no way that owners are going to pay for unwanted dogs. It's estimated at €2500 per year per dog.

If a breeder breeds one litter of 5 & say 2 go on to race, that €7500 in upkeep for the remaining 3 dogs.

Why would only 2 out of 5 go on to race? That’s not the way it works. The large amount of greyhounds that do not go on to race are largely down to individual breeders who are not doing things right. These owners clearly should be put out of operation.

A good owner will be able to race almost all dogs bred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Just ban it all together. They're still gonna be killing dogs one way or another.

jackboy wrote: »
    Why would only 2 out of 5 go on to race? That’s not the way it works. The large amount of greyhounds that do not go on to race are largely down to individual breeders who are not doing things right. These owners clearly should be put out of operation.

A good owner will be able to race almost all dogs bred.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Its well over 6000 more likely double that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭jackboy

As I said with good breeders almost all dogs go on to race. The poor breeders with bad practices have much more dogs that don’t go on to race. These breeders should be dealt with or stopped breeding because they are unlikely to ever change.

Just ban it all together. They're still gonna be killing dogs one way or another.

Thing is - It will have to involve banning all dog breeding in this case. As detailed this is an industry wide issue and not like a few here would have us think otherwise. And all because a proportion of dogs are being bred or killed by some irresponsible individuals whether that is greyhounds or Shih Tzu or bull dogs or whatever breed. And that needs dealt with imo.

An example of irresponsible ownership in the media recently - and strangely no campaign to end the breeding of pets or stop pet ownership.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/shih-tzu-dog-eaten-alive-maggots-dublin-883265

jackboy wrote: »
    As I said with good breeders almost all dogs go on to race. The poor breeders with bad practices have much more dogs that don’t go on to race. These breeders should be dealt with or stopped breeding because they are unlikely to ever change.

No one will ever answer the question.

Thing is - It will have to involve banning all dog breeding in this case. As detailed this is an industry wide issue and not like a few here would have us think otherwise. And all because a proportion of dogs are being bred or killed by some irresponsible individuals whether that is greyhounds or Shih Tzu or bull dogs or whatever breed. And that needs dealt with imo.

An example of irresponsible ownership in the media recently - and strsngely no campaign to end the breeding of pets or stop pet ownership.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/shih-tzu-dog-eaten-alive-maggots-dublin-883265

More utter rubbish. You seriously think that people aren't campaigning to get puppy farms banned ?

• Advertisement

More utter rubbish. You seriously think that people aren't campaigning to get puppy farms banned ?

Your reply is most certainly 'rubbish' ...

I believe the reference was to all captive animals which includes the ownership of pets as deemed 'cruel' in a previous post.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057991798/39/#post110746823

But then that doesn't suit the ban agenda does it? ...

Advertisement