Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Its well over 6000 more likely double that.

The figure was estimated at, at least, 10,000 - otherwise we would be knee deep in Greyhounds. The IGB know that people can do simple maths. So they use phrases like "unaccounted for". People know how often they see a Greyhound as a pet.

No one can believe the IGB because they have either lied before or used woolly phrases like "we believe". They haven't kept proper figures deliberately because they don't want to leave evidence. Some of us have been requesting this information for years.

If many of the supporters knew the true extent of the killing & abuse, racing would die. RTE was the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭jackboy

Discodog wrote: »
    No one will ever answer the question.

I did answer the question as best as possible. If you are looking for accurate statistics I don’t know.

No one will ever answer the question.

It was answered. You just didn’t like the answer!

It was answered. You just didn’t like the answer!

The answer was that no one knows & if that's the case then people are lying.

It's the great hidden question that no one in the industry will answer because it's the key to the whole issue.

I believe that it is impossible to have racing without unacceptable wastage. No one has proved me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

More utter rubbish. You seriously think that people aren't campaigning to get puppy farms banned ?

see

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056295154

deeply caring and aware

and yet mooooooooore deflection from the usual source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Graces7 wrote: »
    see
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056295154
    deeply caring and aware and yet mooooooooore deflection from the usual source

Thanks grace - but it's always good to discuss such issues and not try and take little potshots from the sidelines.

Tbh the point is - be careful what you campaign for. I will be laughing into my 'cruelty' free cornflakes (and that is in itself an oxymoron) when the next wave of anti 'cruelty' campaigners arrive at the doorstep to take your pets and put them down ...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/killing-animals-petas-open-secret_b_59e78243e4b0e60c4aa36711

These people didn't think it could happen either and they were proven wrong ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Thanks grace - but it's always good to discuss such issues and not try and take little potshots from the sidelines.

Tbh the point is - be careful what you campaign for. I will be laughing into my 'cruelty' free cornflakes (and that is in itself an oxymoron) when the next wave of anti 'cruelty' campaigners arrive at the doorstep to take your pets and put them down ...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/killing-animals-petas-open-secret_b_59e78243e4b0e60c4aa36711

These people didn't think it could happen either and they were proven wrong ...

Do you hear voices as well as your other fantasies ? You use the same old extremist argument. A tiny number of people have really got under your skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Do you hear voices as well as your other fantasies ? You use the same old extremist argument. A tiny number of people have really got under your skin

Lol. So you claim the article about the anti 'cruelty' brigade killing pets is fantasy - really? I've heard it all now tbh. is And you talk of deflection? I always find that a bit less of the nasty ad hominem and bit more discussion always helps.

The extremists exist - so shoot the messenger all you like and pretend this **** doesnt happen. The only thing is sticking your head in the sand doesn't help your argument at all.

I believe that it is impossible to have racing without unacceptable wastage. No one has proved me wrong.

How can someone prove a vague opinion is wrong?

jackboy wrote: »
    How can someone prove a vague opinion is wrong?

Exactly & that's why the IGB won't release the figures :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I’m not even sure what you are looking for anymore. Everyone here agrees that there is over breeding which needs to be tackled. I think you have the opinion that tackling this won’t work because there still will be a lot of wastage. This cannot be proven until after the over breeding is sorted out. The current exact figures will not prove that one way or the other.

I’m not even sure what you are looking for anymore. Everyone here agrees that there is over breeding which needs to be tackled. I think you have the opinion that tackling this won’t work because there still will be a lot of wastage. This cannot be proven until after the over breeding is sorted out. The current exact figures will not prove that one way or the other.

Oh they will. The IGB know how many dogs have been bred in the past ten years - the average lifespan of a Greyhound. That's how many should be out there.

Maybe it’s because it’s the ICC that has them? You know. The people who keep the Stud Book?

As I previously said, all pet ownership is cruel.
    Do you think they would choose to be taken from their families and given to a human who will keep them in a house all day while they work 40 hours a week and maybe bring them for a quick walk in the evening.

Some people are outraged by greyhound racing but are perfectly happy to keep a dog in captivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

As I previously said, all pet ownership is cruel.
    Do you think they would choose to be taken from their families and given to a human who will keep them in a house all day while they work 40 hours a week and maybe bring them for a quick walk in the evening.

Some people are outraged by greyhound racing but are perfectly happy to keep a dog in captivity.

The whataboutery is strong in this.

Greyhounds are a profit-making enterprise supported by the State that relies on animals. Citizens are entitled to direct state-investments for the good of the society. The organizations responsible are failing, per the documentary, to ensure the animal welfare requirements they claim to uphold are being met, due to their egregious lack of information and seeming lack of desire to obtain such information, their lack of monitoring and enforcement of their own regulations, and support of industries to which they are not instructed to support, that is, the export of live greyhounds to other countries. This is very different than pet ownership, this is an Irish-government sponsored entity, so we taxpayers have every right to know what it's doing, and comment appropriately, plus take whatever the appropriate means is to change what's happening, e.g. by protesting to our TD's or (peacefully) in person at events in order to raise public consciousness.

Hope that helps

Maybe it’s because it’s the ICC that has them? You know. The people who keep the Stud Book?

Give them a call & post the figures here. ICC & IGB are no different.

Give them a call & post the figures here. ICC & IGB are no different.

Shows how much you know!!

Igotadose wrote: »
    The whataboutery is strong in this.

Greyhounds are a profit-making enterprise supported by the State that relies on animals. Citizens are entitled to direct state-investments for the good of the society. The organizations responsible are failing, per the documentary, to ensure the animal welfare requirements they claim to uphold are being met, due to their egregious lack of information and seeming lack of desire to obtain such information, their lack of monitoring and enforcement of their own regulations, and support of industries to which they are not instructed to support, that is, the export of live greyhounds to other countries. This is very different than pet ownership, this is an Irish-government sponsored entity, so we taxpayers have every right to know what it's doing, and comment appropriately, plus take whatever the appropriate means is to change what's happening, e.g. by protesting to our TD's or (peacefully) in person at events in order to raise public consciousness.

Hope that helps

Of course it’s whataboutery.
    People these days just jump on any bandwagon.
    See a documentary on RTÉ and it’s all the rage for a few weeks.

A few years back it was sea orcas.

It boils my blood to think that some people have spent years of their lives looking after greyhounds and treating them well and now have abuse shouted at them from someone who saw a documentary on tv.

How many of those people have dogs and leave the poor thing home alone all day.

Shows how much you know!!

They are both organisations that support the abuse & killing of Greyhounds.

If the ICC have the data then why don't they provide it to the IGB ?

It's just passing the buck backwards & forwards.

If they didn't have anything to hide they would publish the figures on a publicly accessible site, especially as they are funded by the taxpayer.

Of course it’s whataboutery.
    People these days just jump on any bandwagon.
    See a documentary on RTand it’s all the rage for a few weeks.

A few years back it was sea orcas.

It boils my blood to think that some people have spent years of their lives looking after greyhounds and treating them well and now have abuse shouted at them from someone who saw a documentary on tv.

How many of those people have dogs and leave the poor thing home alone all day.

The same people who have partaken in & supported a "sport" which kills thousands of dogs without uttering a peep. The same people that knew about the cruelty & killing but chose to stay silent.

• Advertisement

The same people who have partaken in & supported a "sport" which kills thousands of dogs without uttering a peep. The same people that knew about the cruelty & killing but chose to stay silent.

And millions eat meat and fish everyday. Obviously all supporting cruelty to animals.

Or maybe certain animals matter more?

This is where your argument falls down. By this logic everyone in Ireland (including yourself) supports animal abuse.

And millions eat meat and fish everyday. Obviously all supporting cruelty to animals.

You are learning the important deflection skill. It's fine for me because look at what others do.

Rule one in the justify cruelty list - ask if they are Vegan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Killing animals for fun is what greyhound racing is, no different than those who go trophy hunting shooting elephants for fun.

This is where your argument falls down. By this logic everyone in Ireland (including yourself) supports animal abuse.

? I knew what was going on as did many others. The RTE documentary revealed it to a big audience. The videos etc of abuse have been around for decades.

klaaaz wrote: »
    Killing animals for fun is what greyhound racing is, no different than those who go trophy hunting shooting elephants for fun.

It's worse. The appalling trophy hunters are often culling. The greyhound killers are just removing an expense.

They are both organisations that support the abuse & killing of Greyhounds.

If the ICC have the data then why don't they provide it to the IGB ?

It's just passing the buck backwards & forwards.

If they didn't have anything to hide they would publish the figures on a publicly accessible site, especially as they are funded by the taxpayer.

I provided a link earlier to figures. Read it, please. Just to save me repeating myself.

? I knew what was going on as did many others. The RTE documentary revealed it to a big audience. The videos etc of abuse have been around for decades.

You didn’t shout it from the roof tops like you expect the good greyhound breeders to have done. Where are all the threads here on greyhound abuse that you started before the documentary.

This doesn’t mean that you, or the good greyhound breeders support animal abuse.

I provided a link earlier to figures. Read it, please. Just to save me repeating myself.

A greyhound lives for, let's say, 10 years. You provided figures for one year. I want to know the total of how many Greyhounds have been born during the past 10 years.

• Advertisement

You didn’t shout it from the roof tops like you expect the good greyhound breeders to have done. Where are all the threads here on greyhound abuse that you started before the documentary.

This doesn’t mean that you, or the good greyhound breeders support animal abuse.

You have no idea what I have or haven't done or continue to do. But here's a clue. I have attended meetings with Ministers & made submissions regarding present & future legislation.

I am one of many. Some spend their valuable time protesting, others lobby online & we've been doing it for years.

Advertisement