Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭jackboy

Discodog wrote: »
    You have no idea what I have or haven't done or continue to do. But here's a clue. I have attended meetings with Ministers & made submissions regarding present & future legislation.

I am one of many. Some spend their valuable time protesting, others lobby online & we've been doing it for years.

You are correct, I have no idea what you have done. Just like you have no idea what the good greyhound breeders have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

jackboy wrote: »
    You are correct, I have no idea what you have done. Just like you have no idea what the good greyhound breeders have done.

So why aren't you protesting ? These people are destroying your sport. Why aren't you at the doors of the IGB.

Greyhound welfare groups organise walks (sighthound strolls) to promote awareness - Michael D came along to a Galway one. Why don't you organise a good owners against the IGB walk? The dogs could wear jackets saying stop Greyhound cruelty.

You're not going to do that .........are you ?

klaaaz wrote: »
    Killing animals for fun is what greyhound racing is, no different than those who go trophy hunting shooting elephants for fun.

And people eat meat and fish every day. They absolutely don’t have to, they choose to. Despite the fact that thousands of animals are slaughtered every day.

I don’t see anyone asking how many cows are slaughtered a year.

Racing a dog is so much worse than slaughtering an animal, ripping the carcass apart, sticking it on a production line, weighing it, processing it and packaging it?

All to produce food that we don’t really need.

So why aren't you protesting ? These people are destroying your sport. Why aren't you at the doors of the IGB.

Greyhound welfare groups organise walks (sighthound strolls) to promote awareness - Michael D came along to a Galway one. Why don't you organise a good owners against the IGB walk? The dogs could wear jackets saying stop Greyhound cruelty.

You're not going to do that .........are you ?

As we already established, it is not good to presume what others have done, or not done.

jackboy wrote: »
    As we already established, it is not good to presume what others have done, or not done.

In other words the answer is no :)

Owners won't rock the boat publicly. There are too many who see nothing wrong in thousands of dead dogs & won't take kindly to objectors in their own ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They are both organisations that support the abuse & killing of Greyhounds...

That's quite an allegation to make public tbh. Hope youve put that to them directly.

Tbh It's about as true as saying pet owners do the same by buying puppies and keeping pets.
    klaaaz wrote: »
    Killing animals for fun is what greyhound racing is, no different than those who go trophy hunting shooting elephants for fun.

How exactly are greyhounds who race - killed for 'fun'? (sic).

Nothing is hunted in greyhound racing just in case you are confused about trophy hunters and elephants etc ...

I do love the new protestors lexicon - call anything you disagree with 'cruel'. Accuse those who do something ditto and accuse them of 'killing for fun' and so it goes on

gozunda wrote: »
    That's quite an allegation to make public tbh. Hope youve put that to them directly.

Tbh It's about as true as saying pet owners do the same by buying puppies and keeping pets.

How exactly are greyhounds who race - killed for 'fun'? (sic).

Nothing is hunted in greyhound racing just in case you are confused about trophy hunters and elephants etc ...

I do love the new protestors lexicon - call anything you disagree with 'cruel'. Accuse those who do something ditto and accuse them of 'killing for fun' and so it goes on

Yes I have.

Sport & recreation are for fun or what else are they for ?

Yes I have.

Sport & recreation are for fun or what else are they for ?

I somehow doubt that tbh.

So you agree to the claim that they are supposedly killing the dogs for 'fun' during greyhound racing by shooting them the same as elephants?

Boy - that is sure some feked up logic right there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

https://www.facebook.com/banbloodsports/videos/2387487991523306/?type=2&theater

F***in abusive sh**s?? And when all else fails, try “Woman beater”.

You obviously weren’t inside the stadium! Great crowd. Great racing.

I was outside protesting with other dog lovers. I am really hopeful that this industry is now dying and everyone fighting for it is fighting a loosing battle.

The people protesting just have to hold onto dignity a little.. the people on the other side have no dignity or real respect and are loosing.

I somehow doubt that tbh.

So you agree to the claim that they are supposedly killing the dogs for 'fun' during greyhound racing by shooting them the same as elephants?

Boy - that is sure some feked up logic right there ...

You should read what's written instead of what you imagine.

People who own Greyhounds, race Greyhounds & support racing are all responsible for thousands of dead dogs every year. The "sport" couldn't exist without all three.

• Advertisement

AryaStark wrote: »
    I was outside protesting with other dog lovers. I am really hopeful that this industry is now dying and everyone fighting for it is fighting a loosing battle.

The people protesting just have to hold onto dignity a little.. the people on the other side have no dignity or real respect and are loosing.

Thank you & well done. I have been there & know exactly what you mean. But they will fight & fight dirty. They still have powerful friends. But changes are driven by the young & they don't support racing. It will die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Thank you & well done. I have been there & know exactly what you mean. But they will fight & fight dirty. They still have powerful friends. But changes are driven by the young & they don't support racing. It will die out.

No it won't, as long as there is horse racing there will be greyhounds racing, the culling in horses is a lot worse than greyhounds and ye know that and the government know that.

No it won't, as long as there is horse racing there will be greyhounds racing, the culling in horses is a lot worse than greyhounds and ye know that and the government know that.

Keep diverting :pac:

Horses are slaughtered for human consumption, pet food etc like cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens. Is the IGB going to start promoting Greyhound Burgers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Keep diverting :pac:

Horses are slaughtered for human consumption, pet food etc like cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens. Is the IGB going to start promoting Greyhound Burgers ?

Are you saying that horses are breed in this country to be slaughtered for human and pet consumption.

A greyhound lives for, let's say, 10 years. You provided figures for one year. I want to know the total of how many Greyhounds have been born during the past 10 years.

Try asking the keepers of the Stud Book, not random strangers on social media!

Old dogs DO actually die. They’re not immortal. They don’t live forever.

Try asking the keepers of the Stud Book, not random strangers on social media!

Old dogs DO actually die. They’re not immortal. They don’t live forever.

That's why I used your figure of 10 years - Mine made it, in good health, to 14.

So many people have asked for the figures but, as you know, they don't want to release them.

Are you saying that horses are breed in this country to be slaughtered for human and pet consumption.

No. Over 6000 were slaughtered last year & they so have a meat value - unlike a Greyhound. Should horse owners be allowed to discard their animals ? No of course not.

That's why I used your figure of 10 years - Mine made it, in good health, to 14.

So many people have asked for the figures but, as you know, they don't want to release them.

You are probably asking the IGB when you really need ask the ICC. However, seeing as the new traceability measures are only now signed into Law, it will be at least two years before creditable figures are available. You must also take into account natural wastage.

I know to an outsider that it’s confusing having two disciplines using the one animal, but the two breeds are very different.

Fewer dogs are being bred now than 10 years ago.

If you love them so much, stop keeping them in captivity against their will!

You should read what's written instead of what you imagine.
    People who own Greyhounds, race Greyhounds & support racing are all responsible for thousands of dead dogs every year. The "sport" couldn't exist without all three.

I did. The only imagination is yours.

And by your logic so are those who are involved in breeding pet dogs for sale and everyone else who buys a domestic pet.

The sports existence isn't the issue here - the real problem as with rogue dog breeders are those who give others a bad name. But none of that suits the ban agenda driven by the few ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Igotadose wrote: »
    Sadly here in rural West Kerry I've certainly encountered this practice, for both dogs and cats.

But, yes, this is about greyhounds and their abuse by the greyhound industry.

How does this come to happen? Are people just not neutering their dog or cat and then when it has an unexpected pregnancy they go on to drown the kittens/puppies at home? Do they even try to find them homes or is killing them the go to option? I just dont get this, surely neutering them is preferable to drowning a puppy or kitten in your own home, like why is this practice still going on in rural Ireland?

I was outside protesting with other dog lovers. I am really hopeful that this industry is now dying and everyone fighting for it is fighting a loosing battle. The people protesting just have to hold onto dignity a little.. the people on the other side have no dignity or real respect and are loosing.

I hope you are aware that the coverage of the 'protest' is being promoted and publicised by various extreme animal rights groups. A quick check highlights two groups previously linked with the illegal release of mink who have a highly destructive impact on Irish wildlife and the theft and release of lobsters from a restaurant and the same lobsters death after the same group threw what was a foreign species into the sea.

That you are a dog lover is irrelevant to the extreme elements of the animal rights movement. Some of the same seek to end all ownership of all domestic animals. The targeting of greyhound owners is seen as the soft underbelly by extremists. The fact that the same are using this to push their own agenda is evident.

I did. The only imagination is yours.

And by your logic so are those who are involved in breeding pet dogs for sale and everyone else who buys a domestic pet.

The sports existence isn't the issue here - the real problem as with rogue dog breeders are those who give others a bad name. But none of that suits the ban agenda driven by the few ...

You’re wasting your time here. Clearly people saw a show on RTÉ, perceived it how they wanted and are now outraged by greyhound racing while turning a blind eye to the much worse animal cruelty that all dogs suffer from.

You’re wasting your time here. Clearly people saw a show on RTÉ, perceived it how they wanted and are now outraged by greyhound racing while turning a blind eye to the much worse animal cruelty that all dogs suffer from.

And finding violence, both verbal and physical towards greyhound racegoers acceptable. Shame, Shame, Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dirty foul mouthed racists.

So its ok to raise a hand at a woman??

Dont even try and defend it.

And finding violence, both verbal and physical towards greyhound racegoers acceptable. Shame, Shame, Shame on them.

So its ok to hit women?

I just saw a woman being assaulted.

Wow.

Extraordinary what people will defend and always for the money.

No profit no industry.

2019 and people are defending a woman being assaulted on the street.

Hopefully the youth of Ireland see this one through and eradicate the barbarity that is greyhound racing.

Absolute shame on the posters in this thread defending it.

Who has defended a woman being assaulted on the street?

• Advertisement

Wow.

Extraordinary what people will defend and always for the money.

No profit no industry.

Hopefully the youth of Ireland see this one through and eradicate the barbarity that is greyhound racing.

Absolute shame on the posters in this thread defending it.

Way worse animal cruelty out there than racing a few dogs. Ever ate a fillet steak?
    Be outraged about something worthwhile.

And nobody defended a woman being assaulted.

Advertisement