Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

On your previous post - ‘there’s Way worse animal cruelty out there’

I was wondering if you’d share some with us ?

Slaughtering thousands of animals every day for food and materials.
    Hunting intentionally to kill.
    People that physically harm animals.
    The mistreatment of dogs by dog owners - leaving them alone for the majority of the day, leaving them in the hot car while they run in to the shops, giving them up due to bad behavior or any other reason.
    Reptiles is a big one, sold as pets but people have no idea how much work they are. They’ve found turtles in the Phoenix park and in the canal. Most of them just die very young as pets as they don’t receive proper care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The mistreatment of dogs by dog owners - leaving them alone for the majority of the day, leaving them in the hot car while they run in to the shops, giving them up due to bad behavior or any other reason.
    Reptiles is a big one, sold as pets but people have no idea how much work they are. They’ve found turtles in the Phoenix park and in the canal. Most of them just die very young as pets as they don’t receive proper care.

Those are all unacceptable & some are illegal. We make laws to protect some animals but then, usually as a response from selected pressure groups, we exclude certain animals, for example we class some as vermin.

You say that all of these are way worse that killing healthy greyhounds by the thousand. I don't agree.

Hard to argue with any of those.

I suppose it’s harder to determine which is the worst and that is likely a personal decision based on experiences.

Of the ones you’ve listed I think ‘people that physically harm animals’ is arguably the worst. And that includes the people that slaughter the animals you mention and hunt the animals you mention.

Can I ask anyone involved in greyhound racing how common is it for trainers to keep the dogs for their whole life span?

Is rehoming more common once the dog has finished its racing career and if so how do they rehome?

Most small owners will keep a greyhound after its finished racing. Not all will make pets and are happy in their kennel next to their comrades. Most rehoming is done through animal charities, funded by IGB and donations from owners. Some bitches are kept for breeding. Bigger trainers wouldn’t have room to keep many retirees but would still have a few.

Wonder how one would find out how much of an impact this report will actually have ?

Will we see a reduced number of people attending dog tracks now ?

Will it become socially less acceptable to expect your work colleagues or friends or family to arrange nights out at these venues as more and more people decide to not encourage the treatment of these poor dogs by refusing to attend ?

Would be great if this report educates those that may not have known better and we see attendance numbers drop sharply.

I understand the numbers of poor degenerate gamblers won’t fall but hopefully a newly educated public will vote with their feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Most small owners will keep a greyhound after its finished racing. Not all will make pets and are happy in their kennel next to their comrades. Most rehoming is done through animal charities, funded by IGB and donations from owners. Some bitches are kept for breeding. Bigger trainers wouldn’t have room to keep many retirees but would still have a few.

Aha so no requirements from the IGB. Well, sure, the owners have the dog's best interests at heart at all times.

And of course absolutely no data from the IGB or voluntarily from owners to back these statements up. Just your limited experience. IGB's not done a survey have they? Ever?

Igotadose wrote: »
    Aha so no requirements from the IGB. Well, sure, the owners have the dog's best interests at heart at all times.

And of course absolutely no data from the IGB or voluntarily from owners to back these statements up. Just your limited experience. IGB's not done a survey have they? Ever?

As has been pointed out to you numerous times, no actual facts are available AT THIS TIME. However that has changed and every greyhound has to be accounted for going forward.

Not sure what you mean by “no requirements from the IGB”. They pay for dogs to be rehomed. They pay for neutering, vaccinations if the dog is being rehoming abroad, pay for boarding the dogs while they are being prepared for rehoming etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Ban it completely. IGB are incompetent ****s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wonder how one would find out how much of an impact this report will actually have ?

Will it become socially less acceptable to expect your work colleagues or friends or family to arrange nights out at these venues as more and more people decide to not encourage the treatment of these poor dogs by refusing to attend ?

Would be great if this report educates those that may not have known better and we see attendance numbers drop sharply.

I understand the numbers of poor degenerate gamblers won’t fall but hopefully a newly educated public will vote with their feet.

Not sure about other grounds but I know Shelbourne Park in Dublin 4 is being hit badly- the likes of Google/Facebook, banks, etc and all the other cooperates in the Docklands who they depend on are giving it a wide berth for staff nights out. I know someone in HR in Google and am told that if they organised a staff night out to the dogs there would be uproar amongst staff there. The documentary seems to have finally woken up the general public to what goes on in the greyhound industry and people no longer want to be associated with it in any way

As has been pointed out to you numerous times, no actual facts are available AT THIS TIME. However that has changed and every greyhound has to be accounted for going forward.

Not sure what you mean by “no requirements from the IGB”. They pay for dogs to be rehomed. They pay for neutering, vaccinations if the dog is being rehoming abroad, pay for boarding the dogs while they are being prepared for rehoming etc...

This was said by the IGB

The board’s efforts to rehome retired greyhounds are “beginning to pay off with great success and some startling results,” according to welfare officer Barry Coleman. “It seems that Italians are increasingly looking to Ireland for their new pet dogs and their overwhelming preference is for greyhounds.”

The problem is it was said 6 years ago. About the same time that you say some of the RTE details date from.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/retired-irish-greyhounds-find-new-homes-in-europe-247629.html

• Advertisement

All the evidence points to a hard core of die hard enthusiasts who will continue to promote racing. It will slowly bleed to death as the older ones die off & aren't replaced.

The key is to ensure that the impetus from this program isn't lost.

Gambling is the big worry as the IGB will seek to replace lost revenue & as usual, they will turn to their political friends.

Hopefully it's a turning point & hopefully more people will become proactive in their objection to racing. But never underestimate what the IGB/ICC might do to keep their golden goose alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Discodog wrote: »
    All the evidence points to a hard core of die hard enthusiasts who will continue to promote racing. It will slowly bleed to death as the older ones die off & aren't replaced.

The key is to ensure that the impetus from this program isn't lost.

Gambling is the big worry as the IGB will seek to replace lost revenue & as usual, they will turn to their political friends.

Hopefully it's a turning point & hopefully more people will become proactive in their objection to racing. But never underestimate what the IGB/ICC might do to keep their golden goose alive.
    Early in this thread I thought the industry could be fixed, but now all I see is an insistence that it's fine and we should mind our own business. There's a constant repeating of the same lines by the same few. Paraphrasing: "that's all in the past", "it might be happening now but it won't happen in the future because they're going to do x", "there's no absolute proof of that because there's no accurate book keeping", "I know people who treat their dogs well so it's fine", "whatabout this other thing", "this other thing is worse so you're a hypocrite for caring about the greyhound industry", "they aren't doing anything technically illegal", etc.

There was a bit of a discussion going on early in the thread but now it's just one side saying "everything is fine go away" and the other saying "close it all down". There's too much rot in the industry to ignore. I think the pro-industry posters are doing their sport a huge disservice by trying to insist everything is fine.

This was said by the IGB

The board’s efforts to rehome retired greyhounds are “beginning to pay off with great success and some startling results,” according to welfare officer Barry Coleman. “It seems that Italians are increasingly looking to Ireland for their new pet dogs and their overwhelming preference is for greyhounds.”

The problem is it was said 6 years ago. About the same time that you say some of the RTE details date from.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/retired-irish-greyhounds-find-new-homes-in-europe-247629.html

I'm sure that there's a point in there somwhere, but I'm afraid I cannot see it.

I'm sure that there's a point in there somwhere, but I'm afraid I cannot see it.

It's extremely worrying that the IGB were praising their rehoming scheme & "startling results". Yet six years later we still have thousands of dead dogs.

It's extremely worrying that the IGB were praising their rehoming scheme & "startling results". Yet six years later we still have thousands of dead dogs.

There is a huge difference between a dog being dead and it being unaccounted for.

There is a huge difference between a dog being dead and it being unaccounted for.

Where do think the (minimum) 6000 are ? Hiding in the woods ? Who's paying for all that food, vet bills etc. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Where do think the (minimum) 6000 are ? Hiding in the woods ? Who's paying for all that food, vet bills etc. ?

The same place the 30,000 other dogs been breed in this country as pets. But hey let's just throw rocks at greyhounds ...

gozunda wrote: »
    The same place the 30,000 other dogs been breed in this country as pets. But hey let's just throw rocks at greyhounds ...

Rinse & repeat over & over again.

But in fairness that's yet another way to kill them

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Ban it completely. IGB are incompetent ****s

All racing or just greyhounds

All racing or just greyhounds

Do the IGB control other racing ?

Or are you trying to divert....again ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

What 6,000 are you talking about.

As far as I see from your posts all we need is to find a market for dog meat and we can breed as many as we like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Discodog wrote:
    My general apologies - but I haven't had time to reply in full with the absolute load of tripe you posted previously over several comments .

In a comment I included a quote from another thread, regarding your thoughts on Animal Rights extremists - this was not only relevant - it was posted directly in reply to what you yourself had written in this thread. Something I've seen done many times on boards tbh.

Bizarrely you pretended offence and you then mentioned in your comment that you previously got infracted for quoting from another thread. Never heard of this. So I checked if that was true or otherwise.

Yes indeed you did recieved an an infraction. In fact you recieved a permaban from the Animal and Pet forum for this behaviour. No not going to quote it as that wouldn't be cool... But just in case you claim that's a lie See:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78384492&postcount=5

And interstingly this was because not only were you asked to desist from selectively quoting as you did - it was pointed out what you did was infracted because it is only permitted to quote that which is relevant so it can be seen by the the original poster, (so that) they can respond to it.

And yet you then bizarrely and incorrectly claim that its quoting which is not permitted and rather than respond properly in this thread you chose to launch another attack and in a fit of evident spite - went out of your way to dig up a completely irrelevant quote again which I'm not quoting because it would not be cool - with no relevance whatsoever to the topic of this thread

To quote directly from this thread [quote= 'it looks like you haven't changed one little bit'. . I'd agree with that.

Tbh I really couldnt be bothered replying to anymore of your rubbish. Welcome to the ignore list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

In case anyone is still looking for the real numbers of greyhounds bred in recent years, I emailed the ICC at a couple of different email addresses at the start of the month and still haven't had a response. I'll keep following up.

If anyone has any more info that they'd like to share, especially those who claim that breeding has decreased, that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭jackboy

xckjoo wrote: »
    I think the pro-industry posters are doing their sport a huge disservice by trying to insist everything is fine.

No poster on this thread has insisted everything is fine.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    In case anyone is still looking for the real numbers of greyhounds bred in recent years, I emailed the ICC at a couple of different email addresses at the start of the month and still haven't had a response. I'll keep following up.

If anyone has any more info that they'd like to share, especially those who claim that breeding has decreased, that would be great.

You will never get a response. Plus it will only tell you how many were actually registered which relies on the honesty of the owner. It won't tell you how many greyhound puppies are produced every year.

If you could add the figures, for say the past ten years, in theory that would be the rough total of how many should be out there. Then one should be able to deduct what would be expected as normal mortality from illness etc.

It will be tens of thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Gozunda and discodog - I recommend that te pair of you cease and desist. I’ve warned before that bringing someone’s previous posts into this thread is not acceptable and yet here we are. I don’t want to see any more.

dudara

You will never get a response. Plus it will only tell you how many were actually registered which relies on the honesty of the owner. It won't tell you how many greyhound puppies are produced every year.

If you could add the figures, for say the past ten years, in theory that would be the rough total of how many should be out there. Then one should be able to deduct what would be expected as normal mortality from illness etc.

It will be tens of thousands.

Now, tell me. Where is the point in underdeclaring a litter? If they're not registered, earmarked and microchipped, they are lurchers and cannot be raced. Litter is declared at 14 days and earmarked and microchipped at 12 weeks. I doubt that the Open class could be told from the graders at 14 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The former chairman of IGB in 2017 supported the killing of thousands of greyhounds for sport

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1429782737137280
    During an interview on Cork's 96FM (3rd May 2017), Paschal Taggart, a former chairman of the Irish Greyhound Board, was asked "Do you believe it's okay for thousands of dogs to be killed in the name of entertainment?"

"I absolutely do," was Taggart's appalling response.

That's the brutal mentality from the IGB's mouth. The poor animals are treated are disposable commodities for failing to win a race, all 6,000 plus slaughtered a year and the 500 plus massacred at Irish dog tracks since 2015.

klaaaz wrote: »
    The former chairman of IGB in 2017 supported the killing of thousands of greyhounds for sport

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1429782737137280

That's the brutal mentality from the IGB's mouth. The poor animals are treated are disposable commodities for failing to win a race, all 6,000 plus slaughtered a year and the 500 plus massacred at Irish dog tracks since 2015.

And he accepted that it's thousands unlike those who say RTE misled people.

• Advertisement

Now, tell me. Where is the point in underdeclaring a litter? If they're not registered, earmarked and microchipped, they are lurchers and cannot be raced. Litter is declared at 14 days and earmarked and microchipped at 12 weeks. I doubt that the Open class could be told from the graders at 14 days!

My Greyhound wasn't chipped or tattooed nor have many that I have seen.

How do the ICC know when a litter is born ?

What's to stop an owner waiting & then deciding which dogs he will register ?

Advertisement