Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

Choc Chip wrote: »
    In case anyone is still looking for the real numbers of greyhounds bred in recent years, I emailed the ICC at a couple of different email addresses at the start of the month and still haven't had a response. I'll keep following up.

If anyone has any more info that they'd like to share, especially those who claim that breeding has decreased, that would be great.

Fair play- it's this type of effort that will gain results.

BTW- i don't want to see a cessation of greyhound racing- I want to see a reform of the sport- but if that means a phoenix rise, loss of so called "jobs", then so be it.

What's their email address?

Discodog wrote: »
    My Greyhound wasn't chipped or tattooed nor have many that I have seen.

How do the ICC know when a litter is born ?

What's to stop an owner waiting & then deciding which dogs he will register ?

If it’s not chipped or tattooed, it’s a lurcher, not a greyhound. It cannot race or be bred from. The financial penalties for late registration are great, but I’m sure that you already know that seeing as you’ve gotten an in-depth knowledge of greyhound racing.

To save me typing it all out, you’ll find fees and penalties here. https://irishcoursingclub.ie/fees/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If it’s not chipped or tattooed, it’s a lurcher, not a greyhound. It cannot race or be bred from. The financial penalties for late registration are great, but I’m sure that you already know that seeing as you’ve gotten an in-depth knowledge of greyhound racing.

To save me typing it all out, you’ll find fees and penalties here. https://irishcoursingclub.ie/fees/

How would they know when a puppy is born?

How would they know when a puppy is born?

Because it’s usually 63 days after the mating.

Because it’s usually 63 days after the mating.

How would they know when it was mated?

• Advertisement

How would they know when it was mated?

Because the stud keeper has to register the mating within 14 days as has the breeder. (See link I’ve already posted)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

What exactly do they IGB pay for regarding the rehoming process?

Because the stud keeper has to register the mating within 14 days as has the breeder. (See link I’ve already posted)

There is nothing to stop someone lying

Totally untrue. A Greyhound is a breed & remains a Greyhound irrespective of whether it's registered or not.

A Lurcher is a cross breed of a Greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

So no comment from the pro-racers to the former head of the IGB Paschal Taggart supporting the massacre of thousands of greyhound dogs who are not fast enough. Sums up that they treat those dogs are money commodities to be gambled on without love of the welfare of the dog rather than as pets. Basically no empathy to the canines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

klaaaz wrote: »
    So no comment from the pro-racers to the former head of the IGB Paschal Taggart supporting the massacre of thousands of greyhound dogs who are not fast enough. Sums up that they treat those dogs are money commodities to be gambled on without love of the welfare of the dog rather than as pets. Basically no empathy to the canines.

Well to be fair reading that animal rights group Facebook post - it appears that at least some of what he is alleged to have said is being paraphrased.

It might be better to provide an impartial account of that interview tbh.

Loaded language like 'massacred' is also belied by what he allegedly says that euthanasia should be carried out properly etc.

Thousands of pets dogs are also euthanized (massacred?) every year for many different reasons - not all of them because a dog is sick or otherwise. No 'empathy to the canines' there?

I would also suggest his alleged views or opinions are not necessarily shared by greyhound owners or those who support greyhound racing.

Plus he is now as you say the 'former head' of the IGB ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Well to be fair reading that animal rights group Facebook post - it appears that at least some of what he is alleged to have said is being paraphrased.

It might be better to provide an impartial account of that interview tbh.

Loaded language like 'massacred' is also belied by what he allegedly says that euthanasia should be carried out properly etc.

Thousands of pets dogs are also euthanized (massacred?) every year for many different reasons - not all of them because a dog is sick or otherwise. No 'empathy to the canines' there?

I would also suggest his alleged views or opinions are not necessarily shared by greyhound owners or those who support greyhound racing.

Plus he is now as you say the 'former head' of the IGB ...

He said it on radio, how impartial do you want it to be, try censorship or ??

Thousands of greyhounds are indeed massacred for being too slow every year as per your former leader of the IGB stated and supported.

As per your wishful thinking of his views on massacring greyhounds not shared by greyhound owners, those very same owners have sent their losing greyhounds to the knackery to be shot for losing races, they still dump them and the lucky ones are picked up by rescues, the rescues themselves are overwhelmed by losing dogs with many near death and starved on arrival and some dogs have been sold by owners to Pakistan/China to a horrific death!!

Just like on the racing tracks, 500 plus dead dogs since 2015. The first option on the owners list is to kill dogs rather than rehabilitate like emphatic human beings do. Gambling is a genocidal killer to greyhounds.

He said it on radio, how impartial do you want it to be, try censorship or ??Thousands of greyhounds are indeed massacred for being too slow every year as per your former leader of the IGB stated and supported. As per your wishful thinking of his views on massacring greyhounds not shared by greyhound owners, those very same owners have sent their losing greyhounds to the knackery to be shot for losing races, they still dump them and the lucky ones are picked up by rescues, the rescues themselves are overwhelmed by losing dogs with many near death and starved on arrival and some dogs have been sold by owners to Pakistan/China to a horrific death!! ust like on the racing tracks, 500 plus dead dogs since 2015. The first option on the owners list is to kill dogs rather than rehabilitate like emphatic human beings do. Gambling is a genocidal killer to greyhounds.

You asked for an opinion - and now you criticise me for giving one?

Tbh that's not a radio intetview recording. It's an account of an interview by an animal rights group.

The former chairman is not my "former leader" (sic)

The rest is a complete rant and not worth replying to tbh with the exception that certainly in my experience you cannot tar all greyhound owners because one person may have gave an opinion. And that the former chairman advocates proper euthanasia.

As per your use of emotive language - can we say you now accept that pets dogs are being "massacred" in their thousands every year and that also warrents investigation?

You asked for an opinion - and now you criticise me for giving one?

Tbh that's not a radio intetview recording. It's an account of an interview by an animal rights group

The former chairman is not my "former leader" (sic)

The rest is a complete rant and not worth replying to tbh with the exception that certainly in my experience you cannot tar all greyhound owners because one person may have gave an opinion.

You disputed the recording of your leaders support on radio of the mass killing of greyhounds for being too slow. Corks 96FM ain't an animal rights group, it's a mainstream radio station ffs!

Oh yes, treat the mass genocide of 6000 plus greyhounds a year and the 500 dogs killed at dog tracks since 2015 as a "rant" when it's the truth, in fact some rescues reckon the true genocide of greyhounds is 10,000 a year!

You disputed the recording of your leaders support on radio of the mass killing of greyhounds for being too slow. Corks 96FM ain't an animal rights group, it's a mainstream radio station ffs!Oh yes, treat the mass genocide of 6000 plus greyhounds a year and the 500 dogs killed at dog tracks since 2015 as a "rant" when it's the truth, in fact some rescues reckon the true genocide of greyhounds is 10,000 a year!

Hyperbole there again klaaz? Not my 'leader'. Disputed nothing except pointed out the obvious with that link. If you can't understand that - I'm not sure there's much point in tying to discuss anything further tbh.

In my experience it's not possible to tar all greyhound owners as the same and disingenuous to suggest somehow it's only greyhounds being euthanized.

Btw I have absolutely no involvement with greyhounds whatsoever.

You disputed the recording of your leaders support on radio of the mass killing of greyhounds for being too slow. Corks 96FM ain't an animal rights group, it's a mainstream radio station ffs!

Oh yes, treat the mass genocide of 6000 plus greyhounds a year and the 500 dogs killed at dog tracks since 2015 as a "rant" when it's the truth, in fact some rescues reckon the true genocide of greyhounds is 10,000 a year!

Welcome to the world of the Greyhound Industry. If you think that thousands of Greyhounds die then you are an "Anti". This means that you have no knowledge, no experience, no right to express a view, a "townie" & probably an extremist.

The RTE program reinvigorated the opposition & has bought in more supporters but the Greyhound Industry will close ranks & deny everything. If there are "good owners" they will stay silent & tow the company line.

This battle has been going on for decades. The Racing & Coursing community will fight every attempt to interfere with their, so called, sport. They are the extremists & most of them think that the death of thousands of dogs is acceptable. Their views are now the extreme as the majority find cruelty abhorrent.

Totally untrue. A Greyhound is a breed & remains a Greyhound irrespective of whether it's registered or not.

A Lurcher is a cross breed of a Greyhound.
    There is nothing to stop someone lying

Can an unregistered greyhound race?

Why would a stud keeper or control steward risk their livelihoods by falsifying dates?

Out of curiosity, at what age do you think a greyhounds potential becomes apparent? 14 days, when the litter has to be registered? 12 weeks when it has to be earmarked and microchipped? 12 months when it’s named?
    Next time you’re at the dogs with your vet friend, get them to educate you as to the regulations regarding breeding greyhounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Fair play- it's this type of effort that will gain results.

BTW- i don't want to see a cessation of greyhound racing- I want to see a reform of the sport- but if that means a phoenix rise, loss of so called "jobs", then so be it.

What's their email address?

There are a few options on their website: https://irishcoursingclub.ie/contact/ :)

Can an unregistered greyhound race?

Why would a stud keeper or control steward risk their livelihoods by falsifying dates?

Out of curiosity, at what age do you think a greyhounds potential becomes apparent? 14 days, when the litter has to be registered? 12 weeks when it has to be earmarked and microchipped? 12 months when it’s named?
    Next time you’re at the dogs with your vet friend, get them to educate you as to the regulations regarding breeding greyhounds.

Breeders will take risks because history shows that there's little likelihood of consequences.

The IGB/ICC have always distanced themselves from all the poor Greyhounds that aren't registered. They blindly claim that these dogs are nothing to do with them.

Breeders will take risks because history shows that there's little likelihood of consequences.

The IGB/ICC have always distanced themselves from all the poor Greyhounds that aren't registered. They blindly claim that these dogs are nothing to do with them.

If they’re not registered, then they have nothing to do with IGB/ICC. Can you enlighten us as to the merits of NOT registering their pups? The penalties are pretty high. NO stud keeper or control steward are going to risk their living by falsifying paperwork. Unregistered pups cannot race, course or be bred from so are of no value. Why would one spend thousands of Euro mating, vaccinating, feeding a brood only for the pups to be not eligible for racing?

Again, I will ask at what age do you think a pups ability becomes known?

• Advertisement

In my experience it's not possible to tar all greyhound owners as the same and disingenuous to suggest somehow it's only greyhounds being euthanized.

Around 7,000 greyhound owners, 6000 plus greyhounds slaughtered a year for being too slow and 500 dead dogs at the request of greyhound owners on dog tracks since 2015, and then the exports of Irish greyhounds sold to the hellholes of China & Pakistan, that's a majority of greyhound owners who are despicable.

This is a very interesting insight into the fortunes of the anti greyhound lobby in the USA. Some of whom are leading the protests here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkEDKGb50PE

This is a very interesting insight into the fortunes of the anti greyhound lobby in the USA. Some of whom are leading the protests here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkEDKGb50PE

Another loo-la conspiracy, so the Americans are behind the protests? You do come out with some gems alright, comedy gold!

Another loo-la conspiracy, so the Americans are behind the protests? You do come out with some gems alright, comedy gold!

It's so predictable. Look at the Countryside Alliance campaign to keep fox hunting in the UK. Exactly the same arguments.

Many of these extreme pro hunting, coursing & racing people are now focused on Ireland. They visit here to continue practicing the cruel "sports" that were banned in the UK.

If they’re not registered, then they have nothing to do with IGB/ICC. Can you enlighten us as to the merits of NOT registering their pups? The penalties are pretty high. NO stud keeper or control steward are going to risk their living by falsifying paperwork. Unregistered pups cannot race, course or be bred from so are of no value. Why would one spend thousands of Euro mating, vaccinating, feeding a brood only for the pups to be not eligible for racing?

Again, I will ask at what age do you think a pups ability becomes known?

How many of the 6000 are registered?

If they weren’t registered, how would they know that they were unaccounted for??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭jackboy

Around 7,000 greyhound owners, 6000 plus greyhounds slaughtered a year for being too slow and 500 dead dogs at the request of greyhound owners on dog tracks since 2015, and then the exports of Irish greyhounds sold to the hellholes of China & Pakistan, that's a majority of greyhound owners who are despicable.

First of all your linking the numbers to the majority of greyhound owners is invalid.

Second, saying the majority of greyhound owners are despicable is just abusing strangers on the internet.

If every aspect of your life (or anyone elses) was examined it would be easy to link you to something where it is just as valid to call you despicable. Of course this, along with your own comment, is generally not considered valid in a debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

jackboy wrote: »
    No poster on this thread has insisted everything is fine.
    Wish that that was true mate but a quick search threw up these posts that are very much in the line of "it's fine" or "it's about to be so butt out of our business". To me that amounts to the same thing. "It's fine and none of your business". How long do we have to wait for things to be fixed? It seems to be forever around the corner. Might be a different issue if there wasn't so much state money going into the sport, but there is so we all get a say. Can't just take the cash and then throw a tantrum when some accountability is demanded. I'm in favour of reform but I don't trust it's going to be implemented based on past experiences.
    IGB were sponsoring the Rose of Tralee. Not the other way round. Daithi was getting serious abuse online as were some of the roses. Not from the greyhound racing fraternity, I hasten to add.

For the record, once again, the figure of 6,000 unaccounted for doesn’t mean killed. At the time of the report, I had 3 retired greyhounds which would have been classed as unaccounted. Simply because there was no mechanism for me to report them as retired and still in my possession. I’m only one of thousands of small time owners who would have had at least one retired greyhound. Thankfully that’s now changed.
    The only true fact to come from that very one sided program was the killing of greyhounds in knackeries. Everything else was of a historical nature with absolutely no proof, or was from another country and not even greyhounds.
    Then read what the report actually says and why it was carried out. Then educate yourself on coursing and what would happen to the hare if it was banned. No more innoculating, wormed etc.
    What you saw in the program was historical stuff. Illegal stuff that is being clamped down on.
    It was great to see those illegal courses named and shamed. I hope that they are banned for life from every track and coursing field in the country.

(sorry Maryanne, not trying to pick on you but it was the first stuff that came up when I searched)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Will you please cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

You lost this argument when you said that once their was a market for their meat than everything was ok.

Advertisement