Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Ya. Right.

Yes indeed. There was Garda protection for the protesters a few days ago after the assaults at the previous protest by the pro-racers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

gozunda wrote: »
    Firstly that story has sfa to do with the topic of this thread imo. I presume whether one heard it on the rumour mill depends where your 'information ' is coming from and etc. And accesing the tabloids isn't exactly rocket science tbh.

As to the relevance of your perceived urban / rural divide. Htf would people living long distances from "South Limerick" be magically privy to such rumours etc?

Secondly like a small number of posters on here - there appears to be woeful and insidious habit of literally putting words in on other people's mouths in some deranged attatemp of discrediting others rather than having a normal discussion. No where and I repeat No where - have I ever claimed "to know everything about the greyhound industry" (sic)
    So a little less of the bs personalisations. Thanks.

Jaysis you must have a high opinion of yourself because you weren't mentioned in that post at all. You're seeing things you want to see, even when they're simply not there.

You doubted me when I said that a greyhound trainer had been arrested. The link I provided proves it, its there for everyone to see.

And I think renowned greyhound trainers being arrested for crime is relevant to this discussion, if you dont agree feel free to report my post and let the mods deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

klaaaz wrote: »
    You have it all wrong, they were not shouting at kids. The greyhound racer supporters attacked at least 2 people at that demo all caught on video. One pro-racer was shouting racist obscenities at a female protester saying "go back where you came from"
    Another male pro-racer even dropped the lead of the racing greyhound he had and ran towards a female protester assaulting her leaving marks on her body, a court case will be happening soon as the Garda are heavily involved on that matter. His dog was left wandering on the road for a short while after he attacked her, he didn't give a sh1te about the dog when beating a woman.
    I saw it with my own eyes and several rescues who posted the video have since removed it seeing the situation.

There were no 'PRO RACERS' there. They were not protesting. They were there to do their business that is all. They had no interest in the protesters if they did they would go to THEIR place of business and protest.

No one attacked these protestors. Their behavior is inexcusable.

Yes indeed. There was Garda protection for the protesters a few days ago after the assaults at the previous protest by the pro-racers.

No there wasn't the garda don't give protestors protection. They keep the peace. If they think you are endangering yourself they send you home. Trust me i know. I've done it.

If the gardai were there is was to monitor the protesters if anything for any trouble.

Brilliant. The Gardai were there to keep the peace and monitor any wrongdoing as videos were being submitted as evidence but were edited, not that they’d be admissible anyway as they weren’t impartial.

• Advertisement

I saw it with my own eyes and several rescues who posted the video have since removed it seeing the situation.

There were no 'PRO RACERS' there. They were not protesting. They were there to do their business that is all. They had no interest in the protesters if they did they would go to THEIR place of business and protest.

No one attacked these protestors. Their behavior is inexcusable.

All lies. Pro-racers mounted their own protest that evening, placards and all at the entrance to Shelbourne. Have you even watched your own video that you put up? Pro-racers attacked the dogs rights protesters specifically ya man physically attacking the woman on the video.
    No there wasn't the garda don't give protestors protection. They keep the peace. If they think you are endangering yourself they send you home. Trust me i know. I've done it.

If the gardai were there is was to monitor the protesters if anything for any trouble.

Nope, the gardai are there to protect the protesters in this specific situation as they were physically attacked. In the subsequent protest, the agressive pro-racers who were heavily outnumbered were put behind barriers where they could not attack the dogs rights protesters again.

All lies. Pro-racers mounted their own protest that evening, placards and all at the entrance to Shelbourne. Have you even watched your own video that you put up? Pro-racers attacked the dogs rights protesters specifically ya man physically attacking the woman on the video.
    Yes several times. There is no such thing as a pro-racer. They are not some political movement. Its like saying there are pro hunting demonstrators

They would be the type to cry wolf over assault though.

Yes several times. There is no such thing as a pro-racer. They are not some political movement. Its like saying there are pro hunting demonstrators

Yes there is, a pro-racer supports the death of dogs for entertainment. 500 plus dogs died on dog tracks around Ireland since 2015, a pro racer only cares about money and profit and not the welfare of the animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭jackboy

No such abuse towards his kid ever happened, such a lie.

I wasn’t there so I don’t know what happened. Are you sure his daughter wasn’t abused? How do you know this?

jackboy wrote: »
    I wasn’t there so I don’t know what happened. Are you sure his daughter wasn’t abused? How do you know this?

It's a below the belt jibe to try to justify attacking a woman for daring to protest against greyhound abuse. They the pro racers are rattled at the protests denting their gambling profits at the expense of dog welfare.

• Advertisement

Yes there is, a pro-racer supports the death of dogs for entertainment. 500 plus dogs died on dog tracks around Ireland since 2015, a pro racer only cares about money and profit and not the welfare of the animal

What?

Read what you just wrote.

They were people going about their business. Employees going their jobs. Half of them were kids.

You are totally radicalized.

What?

Read what you just wrote.

They were people going about their business. Employees going their jobs. Half of them were kids.

You are totally radicalized.

Nope, you've been radicalised by the gambling greyhound racer industry quoting "think of the children" nonsense again when the truth stared you in the face. Kids are not employed by the stadium, not allowed.

What is non factual about the hundreds of dogs which died on dog tracks since 2015?

It's a below the belt jibe to try to justify attacking a woman for daring to protest against greyhound abuse. They the pro racers are rattled at the protests denting their gambling profits at the expense of dog welfare.

If it’s fact, as has been reported to the Gardai, then it’s not a jibe.

How could the protests be denting their gambling profits? The dogs aren’t being affected, so should be able to run to their abilities.

Nope, you've been radicalised by the gambling greyhound racer industry quoting "think of the children" nonsense again when the truth stared you in the face. Kids are not employed by the stadium, not allowed.

What is non factual about the hundreds of dogs which died on dog tracks since 2015?

Why didn't you silence the protest in the presence of the children? Or leave it?

Well the video is doing the rounds on the internet now and its not having the affect the protestors would have wished.

That doesn’t answer the question. Do you stand by your statement that the mans daughter was not abused by a protester?

If it’s fact, as has been reported to the Gardai, then it’s not a jibe.

How could the protests be denting their gambling profits? The dogs aren’t being affected, so should be able to run to their abilities.

The pro racer who physically attacked the female protester will have his day in court.

Attendances are falling due to the protests and the truthful RTE exposure, it's only a handful of regulars attending. They only have so much money to bet on races a few times a week. The dogs are affected, over 500 died at tracks since 2015.

The pro racer who physically attacked the female protester will have his day in court.

Attendances are falling due to the protests and the truthful RTE exposure, it's only a handful of regulars attending. They only have so much money to bet on races a few times a week. The dogs are affected, over 500 died at tracks since 2015.

That’s great news. No father would let someone away with abusing their child.

On the contrary, numbers attending the dogs are at their highest in years.

Why didn't you silence the protest in the presence of the children? Or leave it?

Well the video is doing the rounds on the internet now and its not having the affect the protestors would have wished.

What are you spouting now, are you just arguing for the sake of it as you're bored on a Friday afternoon?
    jackboy wrote: »
    That doesn’t answer the question. Do you stand by your statement that the mans daughter was not abused by a protester?

The man's daughter was not abused, many witnesses can testify to it. It was a very large protest, even CCTV if Shelbourne actually haven't deleted it would prove it.
    The man specifically physically attacked the female protester with the megaphone, everyone on the street can hear every word out of a megaphone with all eyes at the area where the brave woman was positioned.

Hahaha. No person would let a man physically abuse a woman just because she disagrees with his view on greyhound abuse.

What are you spouting now, are you just arguing for the sake of it as you're bored on a Friday afternoon?

No i have friends who work there. I want to know why they have to go through this every week?

I want to know why these horrible people are allowed to behave like that?

I am all for peaceful protest that was NOT peaceful though.

• Advertisement

Hahaha. No person would let a man physically abuse a woman just because she disagrees with his view on greyhound abuse.

No one assaulted her she lost it first I saw it.

The man's daughter was not abused, many witnesses can testify to it. It was a very large protest, even CCTV if Shelbourne actually haven't deleted it would prove it.

Fair enough.At least you are standing by your statement. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Jaysis you must have a high opinion of yourself because you weren't mentioned in that post at all. You're seeing things you want to see, even when they're simply not there. You doubted me when I said that a greyhound trainer had been arrested. The link I provided proves it, its there for everyone to see. And I think renowned greyhound trainers being arrested for crime is relevant to this discussion, if you dont agree feel free to report my post and let the mods deal with it.

This from previous comment directed at me ...
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/man-arrested-garda-corruption-limerick-17479319There you go, arrested and questioned in Thurles Garda station. This has been big news in the Limerick Tipperary area for weeks now and given the greyhound trainers high profile it surprises me that rural dwellers on here havent heard of it whereas I heard of it in Dublin. I find it remarkable that posters are claiming to know everything about the greyhound industry yet for some reason they didnt know about the arrest of one of the most high profile greyhound trainers in the country. It certainly brings their knowledge of the industry into question

Why the continued personslisations? This is a discussion. It's not AH.

Yeah your comment started with unverified rumour. Then moved to tabloids. Plus its "Trainers" (plural now) Jeez the story is even getting better...

Now the comments are like you just won the competition or something. News for you - I'm not the only one to point out it's irrelevant. But there you go ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, links to this data? Seems kind of counter-intuitive.

Wishfull thinking? And dont think so. Talking with my neighbour last night who was at the greyhound racing. Three lonely little protestors in the middle if the roundabout. Police presence to stop them causing any more trouble. And a very good attendance by race goers and foreign visitors. Apparently the restaurant and bar did a very good trade too.

Igotadose wrote: »
    So, links to this data? Seems kind of counter-intuitive.

Personal experience which I know won’t be believed. The numbers of actual doggie people is much higher than usual for the time of year. I’m reliably informed that groups of students are turning away from Shelbourne in face of the protests, which is a shame as they were prepaid. The track didn’t lose out on much as they rarely spend much inside.

No i have friends who work there. I want to know why they have to go through this every week?

I want to know why these horrible people are allowed to behave like that?

I am all for peaceful protest that was NOT peaceful though.
    No one assaulted her she lost it first I saw it.

Do you know how to multi-quote when replying to the same poster?

The man in blue physically attacked the female with the loudspeaker, you must be watching a fictional video to not see that.

Friends working where, at Shelbourne? They ain't fulltime as racing is only on a few hours a week. They chose to work at a dog track knowing the destruction of dogs, they've probably seen the horrific injuries and deaths of dogs at Shelbourne itself.

Shelbourne dog track deaths and injuries:

2018 - 12 dogs dead racing, 41 injuries
    2017 - 10 dogs dead racing, 21 injuries
    2016 - 7 dogs dead racing, 51 injuries
    2015 - 7 dogs dead racing, 33 injuries

Personal experience which I know won’t be believed. The numbers of actual doggie people is much higher than usual for the time of year. I’m reliably informed that groups of students are turning away from Shelbourne in face of the protests, which is a shame as they were prepaid. The track didn’t lose out on much as they rarely spend much inside.
    Wishfull thinking? And dont think so. Talking with my neighbour last night who was at the greyhound racing. Three lonely little protestors in the middle if the roundabout. Police presence to stop them causing any more trouble. And a very good attendance by race goes and foreign visitors. Apparently the restaurant and bar did a very good trade too.

No wishful thinking, dog track racing is on it's knees. You have seen the stats in the last 10 years, attendances have maybe halved and this summer it's far worse. Pro racing pages have put out a SOS alert for people to attend as they are desperate. There was a couple hundred protesters at Limerick and Cork recently, more people than inside their stadiums!

As for Shelbourne as Maryanne alludes to, the foreign students hadn't a clue about the horrific greyhound killing industry for sport. Upon learning of the truth, they don't want to be part of it. And yes I agree with Maryanne, foreign students were just bums on seats to give the illusion that the stadium is full raking in the money.

Lol. I think you are projecting what you would like to happen. If the description from last night (a week night) is anything to go by - racing at least is reaping the benefit from people realising what small number of people are trying to do - that doesnt seem to be working at all :pac:

• Advertisement

Lol. I think you are projecting what you would like to happen. If the description from last night (a week night) is anything to go by - racing at least is reaping the benefit from people realising what small number of people are trying to do. It doesnt seem to be working at all :pac:

Straight from the dog's mouth that attendances at dog tracks have halved in 10 years up to 2016. God help ye on the latest stats!
    https://pietas.ie/website16/index.php/news/4-post5
    The above chart shows the dramatic fall in attendance (in red) at greyhound racing tracks which has nearly halved since 2007 and compares it to horse racing attendance figures (in blue) over the same period

The devastating fall in turnover, prize money, track attendance, sponsorship, ownership, breeding, bookmaker and tote income means that the greyhound industry is on its knees

Advertisement