Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

klaaaz wrote: »
    Straight from the dog's mouth that attendances at dog tracks have halved in 10 years up to 2016. God help ye on the latest stats![/url]

But we are not talking the 10 years to 2016 are we? You claimed the recent protests did harm but if anything - it appears to have backfired badly by what I'm hearing from others. But hey that doesnt suit the propaganda does it? ...

You were saying about 'Pro racing pages' putting out an alert for people to attend the race meetings. Well for ****e and giggles I just took a look at some of the extremists animal rights web pages etc and they are screaming for protestors to turn up. And I was reliably informed that only three turned out the other night lol. If I was a gambling man (and I'm not) - I wouldn't be putting my money on any of the information from these groups tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

gozunda wrote: »
    But we are not talking the 10 years to 2016 are we? You claimed the recent protests did harm but if anything - it appears to have backfired badly by what I'm hearing from others. But hey that doesnt suit the propaganda does it? ...
    Animal charities have got to avoid being turned into one of these two things lobbyists with a political agenda. Or ways to make money for the individuals involved.

Charities should not be political. Lobbyist organizations and rescues need to be separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

You hear very differently than what I hear. I gave you proof of attendance halving at dog tracks in 10 years up to to 2016. The end of 2016 is only 2 and half years ago, not 200 years ago!
    Animal charities have got to avoid being turned into one of these two things lobbyists with a political agenda. Or ways to make money for the individuals involved.

Charities should not be political. Lobbyist organizations and rescues need to be separate.

Animal charities and rescues have been heavily involved in the protests as they have compassion for animals instead of greed for gambling profit, they certainly know how greyhounds have been cruelly treated for years.

Animal charities and rescues have been heavily involved in the protests as they have compassion for animals instead of greed for gambling profit, they certainly know how greyhounds have been cruelly treated for years.

That is dangerous. For one people who donate to charities don't do so to support a political agenda. They donate to political fundraisers for that.

I wouldn't donate to a 'charity' that had people involved in something like this. Its immoral. And the people in THAT video were of very dubious morality in this situation. They were thugs.

You were saying about 'Pro racing pages' putting out an alert for people to attend the race meetings. Well for ****e and giggles I just took a look at some of the extremists animal rights web pages etc and they are screaming for protestors to turn up. And I was reliably informed that only three turned out the other night lol. If I was a gambling man (and I'm not) - I wouldn't be putting my money on any of the information from these groups tbh.

On this bit you added to your post before I saw it. You claim only 3 turned up, where? Certainly not Limerick on their roundabout leading to the stadium where there were more people protesting than actually attended at the dog track.

What's an extremist animal rights web page?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭jackboy

“The devastating fall in turnover, prize money, track attendance, sponsorship, ownership, breeding, bookmaker and tote income means that the greyhound industry is on its knees”

Again I don’t know the figures but the above includes a devastating fall in breeding. This disagrees with the documentary which indicated over breeding.

You hear very differently than what I hear. I gave you proof of attendance halving at dog tracks in 10 years up to to 2016. The end of 2016 is only 2 and half years ago, not 200 years ago!Animal charities and rescues have been heavily involved in the protests as they have compassion for animals instead of greed for gambling profit, they certainly know how greyhounds have been cruelly treated for years.

Many of these supposed groups are definitely not 'Animal charities and rescues" - many are extremist animal rights factions. They get money all right. Most likely from other extremist groups from the US etc. And no I dont have a link for that funnily enough. But deny it if you like.

The funny thing is I've watched my neighbours dogs being exercised and my god these dogs love what they do. They are natural athletes who revel in moving as fast as they can. Never seen such happy and healthy dogs tbh. I could compare these to the overweight spoilt dogs of the lady down the road which are kept in the house all day - but that would be unfair I suppose. Look I get it you dont like greyhound racing and think its all evil men beating their dogs etc. The fact is the truth for the majority of owners etc it is the complete opposite of that and yes that is my experience. Take it how you will.

On this bit you added to your post before I saw it. You claim only 3 turned up, where? Certainly not Limerick on their roundabout leading to the stadium where there were more people protesting than actually attended at the dog track.
    What's an extremist animal rights web page?

This thursday night - three lonely protestors on the round about and that was it. The stadium had a good attendance with the bar and restaurant being both busy. I would trust my neighbour before some ramdomer on the internet tbh.

A web page put up by animal rights extremists obviously :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No i have friends who work there. I want to know why they have to go through this every week?

I want to know why these horrible people are allowed to behave like that?

I am all for peaceful protest that was NOT peaceful though.

They will face perfectly lawful & reasonable protest. If your friend is happy to work for an organisation/industry that causes so much suffering then they have to expect that people will protest.

Lol. I think you are projecting what you would like to happen. If the description from last night (a week night) is anything to go by - racing at least is reaping the benefit from people realising what small number of people are trying to do - that doesnt seem to be working at all :pac:

If the future of racing is so secure why are you so obsessed with non existing extremists trying to stop it ?

• Advertisement

All animal welfare organisations are involved in lobbying including the ISPCA & Dogs Trust. We would never have been able to dramatically reduce the number of stray dogs killed, every year, without lobbying.

The "political agenda" is to stop healthy dogs being killed because they are surplus to requirements.

Discodog wrote: »
    They will face perfectly lawful & reasonable protest. If your friend is happy to work for an organisation/industry that causes so much suffering then they have to expect that people will protest.

It doesn't certain individuals do.

All animal welfare organisations are involved in lobbying including the ISPCA & Dogs Trust. We would never have been able to dramatically reduce the number of stray dogs killed, every year, without lobbying.

The "political agenda" is to stop healthy dogs being killed because they are surplus to requirements.

Maybe they should concentrate on getting experts to work for them instead of politically obsessed crazy volunteers without a clue then.

Many of these supposed groups are definitely not 'Animal charities and rescues" - many are extremist animal rights factions. They get money all right. Most likely from other extremist groups from the US etc. And no I dont have a link for that funnily enough. But deny it if you like.

The funny thing is I've watched my neighbours dogs being exercised and my god these dogs love what they do. They are natural athletes who revel in moving as fast as they can. Never seen such happy and healthy dogs tbh. I could compare these to the overweight spoilt dogs of the lady down the road which are kept in the house all day - but that would be unfair I suppose. Look I get it you dont like greyhound racing and think its all evil men beating their dogs etc. The fact is the truth for the majority of owners etc it is the complete opposite of that and yes that is my experience. Take it how you will.

The only extremists are the people who think its fine to kill healthy dogs. You can't get much more extreme than that ?

You don't get it & you never will because you have no desire to. Your mind is totally closed.

The only extremists are the people who think its fine to kill healthy dogs. You can't get much more extreme than that ?

You don't get it & you never will because you have no desire to. Your mind is totally closed.

No one thinks its fine to kill healthy dogs. Least of all most greyound trainers.

jackboy wrote: »
    “The devastating fall in turnover, prize money, track attendance, sponsorship, ownership, breeding, bookmaker and tote income means that the greyhound industry is on its knees”

Again I don’t know the figures but the above includes a devastating fall in breeding. This disagrees with the documentary which indicated over breeding.

That's the owners and breeders statement. The article from them is before the devastating revelation in the PrimeTime program. They gave a conservative estimate of 6000 dogs executed for being too slow, rescues around the country reckon it's nearer 10,000

So no proof at all of your allegations. Ordinary people are involved in the protests including dog rescue centres, they are not extremists.

Actually it is a male dominated gambling "sport" from which some indeed have beaten and shot their dogs to death for failing to win, the numbers of greyhounds slaughtered are ginormous.
    This thursday night - three lonely protestors on the round about and that was it. The stadium had a good attendance with the bar and restaurant being both busy. My neighbour does not bs.

A web page put up by animal rights extremists obviously :pac:

Where on this famous roundabout you keep mentioning?

It doesn't certain individuals do.

? :confused:

Maybe they should concentrate on getting experts to work for them instead of politically obsessed crazy volunteers without a clue then.

So the ISPCA & Dogs Trust aren't experts ? :rolleyes:

No one thinks its fine to kill healthy dogs. Least of all most greyound trainers.

You are late to the thread. These supposed good owners are happy to sit back & let their "sport" kill thousands of dogs.

Even the good owners know how many dogs die during races but they think it's acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What drugs are you on? Clearly you haven't watched the program. Loads of people thinks it's fine to kill healthy dogs, including trainers.

• Advertisement

So the ISPCA & Dogs Trust aren't experts ? :rolleyes:

Hell no honey. Its me. I am no expert on dogs. I just go up there and take care of them. All volunteers with zero expert knowledge.

And while i don't know anything about dogs I know a lot about horses and they DO NOT. But at some points they have had like 80 of them being cared for by people who haven't a clue.

They don't stock basic things like colostrum. I dunno HOW on EARTH you going to rescue foals or horses for that matter without it. Its not even expensive if you use the artificial stuff.

They didn't even seem to realize bovine colostrum would probably do.

They go on about retraining rehoming etc they are lovely people I am sure but not horse people.

Half of them haven't been around a horse before let alone a foal.

They can't lead. They can't do their feet. They don't know a lot about horses. They can't ride etc.

You are late to the thread. These supposed good owners are happy to sit back & let their "sport" kill thousands of dogs.

Even the good owners know how many dogs die during races but they think it's acceptable.

Following this logic means that everyone thinks that all sorts of terrible things are acceptable.

Hell no honey. Its me. I am no expert on dogs. I just go up there and take care of them. All volunteers with zero expert knowledge.

And while i don't know anything about dogs I know a lot about horses and they DO NOT. But at some points they have had like 80 of them being cared for by people who haven't a clue.

They don't stock basic things like colostrum. I dunno HOW on EARTH you going to rescue foals or horses for that matter without it. Its not even expensive if you use the artificial stuff.

They go on about retraining rehoming etc they are lovely people I am sure but not horse people.

They can't lead. They can't do their feet. They don't know a lot about horses. They can't ride etc.

The thread is about greyhounds not horses.

Eh .....what any of the above got to do with the Greyhound business in Ireland ? I think that’s what is being discussed on this thread .

jackboy wrote: »
    Following this logic means that everyone thinks that all sorts of terrible things are acceptable.

You know how many dogs were killed or injured during racing - the figures are on this thread. But you continue to support racing.

That's the owners and breeders statement. The article from them is before the devastating revelation in the PrimeTime program. They gave a conservative estimate of 6000 dogs ...

So no proof at all of your allegations. Ordinary people are involved in the protests including dog rescue centres, they are not extremists...Where on this famous roundabout you keep mentioning?

Actually it is a male dominated gambling "sport" from which some indeed have beaten and shot their dogs to death for failing to win, the numbers of greyhounds slaughtered are ginormous.

Ah you mean the report which was clearly contested and stated to been completely inaccurate? But some are still running around with the figure like prize watermelons.

Did you ask for "proof"? Its the extemist groups who are involved in the current protest. They are all over social media. You'd want to be blind to miss them tbh. And no that's not everyone who has protested - but they are ones doing the screaming. And no not going to contravene boards ToU in naming those involved for your delectation or whatever btw.

Funnily enough for those who strangely who deny these groups even exist - the thing is that the Animal & Pets forum strictly prohibits any "discussion of militant animal rights organisations or their activities" and also does not allow any "discussing illegal or violent activities - be these carried out by individuals or extremists". Bizarre that considering they dont exist according to some ...

Would you like for me to give you my neighbours name and address as well? I don't think so somehow...

Yeah a very small minority. Probably about the same proportion who do the same to pet dogs. Are you sexist - or just not like 'males'? If you do like gambling- then start a campaign against it. Many people gamble. Personally I dont but I dont rail against those that do.

The thread is about greyhounds not horses.

They don't seem to know a lot about greyhounds easier. It just so happens they are easier to look after.

We used to keep our dog at the kennels in the DSCPA for holidays we stopped because they had no idea how to look after him. He came back terrified. Plus we kept telling them he can't walk on certain terrains for his back. When we dropped off something there they were doing JUST THAT.

They don't seem to know a lot about greyhounds easier. It just so happens they are easier to look after.

We used to keep our dog at the kennels in the DSCPA for holidays we stopped because they had no idea how to look after him. He came back terrified. Plus we kept telling them he can't walk on certain terrains for his back. When we dropped off something there they were doing JUST THAT.

:confused:

You know how many dogs were killed or injured during racing - the figures are on this thread. But you continue to support racing.

Again, flawed logic that just means that everyone is guilty. There are plenty of things in everyone’s life (including yours) that can be easily linked to atrocities.

• Advertisement

Ah you mean the report which was clearly contested and stated to been completely inaccurate? But some are still running g around with the figure like prize watermelons.

Did you ask for "proof"? Its the extemist groups who are involved in the current protest. They are all over social media. You'd want to be blind to miss them tbh. And no that's not everyone who has protested - but they are ones doing the screaming. And no not going to contravene boards ToU in naming those involved for your delectation or whatever btw.

Funnily enough for those who strangely who deny these groups even exist - the thing is that the Animal & Pets forum strictly prohibits any "discussion of militant animal rights organisations or their activities" and also does not allow any "discussing illegal or violent activities - be these carried out by individuals or extremists". Bizarre that considering they dont exist according to some ...

Would you like for me to give you my neighbours name and address as well? I don't think so somehow...

So no proof of extremism or any proof of the famous three protesting at an anonymous roundabout. Any more info you like to make up to share with us?

Advertisement